Translators! FAQ/Rules for NU.

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Parth37955, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've been getting a few questions and I've been seeing people throw around, "NU is neutral" in the like the wrong context, so I'm just gonna clarify some stuff here as well basically repeat what @Tony said in the thread about how NU works.

First how NU works (relevant to Translators)
    Just go to this thread http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/how-does-novel-updates-work.21477/
    and actually read it.

Alright now for Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How do I add my stuff to NU.
    Go here: http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/how-does-novel-updates-work.21477/

2. What if the novel cover is wrong?
    Tell us, and we will replace it. or just submit it yourself and let one of us know which is one is right.

3. What if the title is wrong?
    Same thing, just tell us.

4. What if a review is mean?
    Tony reviews all the..."reviews". Sometimes he messes up and a stupid one or one with spoilers and no spoiler tags slips through. Just click on the report button next to the review. However...Just cause a review is negative doesn't mean we will remove it. Only if it's something like, "This novels sucks." and nothing else or if it's spreading falsehoods. Something that would still be accepted is, "This novel sucks cause there like an endless stream of young master courting death, and a hypocritical whiny mc with a dead waifu and a cookie-cutter plot." oh dang, I spoiled like 90% of xianxia.

5. What's this about a 3 month rule?
    Got that one a lot recently and it has been misapplied to NU.
    The 3 month rule is only for the "Novel Pickup Request" subforum. It's where you basically advertise a novel to get picked up by translators. That is a forum-only rule, that probably orginates from a Baka-tsuki rule where you wait 3 months before a project it up for grabs (which is reasonable for LN's). NU is not NU Forum. The rules are different.

6. Then wat r da rulz?
    http://www.novelupdates.com/nu-policy/
    these are the rules for Novelupdates.com the main site.
    Let me break it down for you cause it's easy to get confused.
    We created these policies after we began to notice a lot of MTL Poachers popping up. We, at NU, prefer to be Neutral. It's an free market and competition is not a bad thing for the reader, usually. However that was malicious and would have the harmed the community so we set up some rules. Note, by setting up these rules, we are no longer entirely neutral.

• There’s an active translator for the novel. An active translator is a translator who has released at least two releases within the past 30 days, has been translating the series for at least 30 days and has translated over 30 releases for the series.

What that means is that now there's an "Active Translator" status. We will protect you from poachers (i.e. not link to them) if you're the translator. To be the Active Translator, you have to have released at least 2 chapters in the past 30 days, have been translators for at least 30 days, and have have translated over 30 releases for the series.

There are exceptions to this protection however.

This rule does not apply to you if any of these applies to you:
    • If you start translating the series from the beginning
    • If you have permission from the current active translator
    • If you started translating when there were no active translators at the time
    • If you have translated over 50 releases for the series
    • If you were an active translator at any point for the series
    • If your releases were accepted due to meeting the requirements at any point
    the first 5 are pretty easy to understand, the 6th one basically means if you were once qualified as the active translator, take a break, and come back and there's a new guy, we will still accept your releases.

We also have other rules.

We won't link to you if:

• Your release is locked. (Not accepted: password protected, appwalled or paywalled releases. Accepted: adwall releases).
    Ok let me clarify here. An adwall isn't the same as a Appwall. forcing you to watch ad is ok for us. Forcing you to go to another site or enter in passwords or open a program are not fine. The same goes for patreon.

• Your release is not translated from an Asian novel.
    For the intents and purposes of this site, Russia is not considered asian. The novel has to be written and published originally in an asian language and then translated to English.

• No raw source is found for your chapters.
    We have to be able to confirm if your novel is actually asian in origin. We've had issues with this before and was a shitshow and I don't want to repeat it.

P.S if the active translator says they are stopping and other people are free to pick it up, protections are revoked.

Edit: I made an error with exception 6, of Active translator. Please take a look again.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    dolphincii, aelin_0, liwiaa and 45 others like this.
  2. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay! Finally, the questions can stop!
    I feel like I've seen too many of these, especially in the past few days!

Arigatou~

Edit: You do rant all the time though?

3. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    lol. for you to be the first one to show up :D the one to find the loophole.

4. Serendipity

Serendipity No one, nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    What the FAQ?

LysUltima likes this.
  5. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    What about a review only containing critisizm towards the grammer without any of the story?

6. LysUltima

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like asking a question in a FAQ thread is weird... but, does NU accept direct machine translations with no editing? (I don't think so, but some people do strange things)

I watch most forums
    But it's not a loophole?
    It's technically an Asian novel written by an Asian.........

TomiNdumplings and pinkrainmi like this.
  7. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    no.

8. ShimizuA

ShimizuA the best teacher is Life.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's clear up something. Then how about solo translator, who has decided to join a group, posting with his new chapter under his new group banner(different site), but still posting at his former blog as backup. BUt the bot only accept chapters from his old blog, and reject his new group one?

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    probably. it has nothing to do with the novel itself after all.

smallvest and TomiNdumplings like this.
  10. LysUltima

Reading List:
    Link
    Bot takes whatever is on the RSS feed.

Edit: It's probably none of my business, but shouldn't this be in a different subforum? Most of the recent question-askers aren't tlers at all, so they probably won't look here at all and some of the questions on the FAQ don't have anything to do with tlers... (don't ban me plz)

11. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Should the active translator rule apply if the currently active "translator" is just releasing terrible quality MTL that can barely be considered readable, while the "poacher" is doing an actual translation with good quality?

TomiNdumplings likes this.
  12. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    you can ask us to change it.

That's of a case to case scenario. Like if a MTL'er is not doing any editing whatsoever, they wouldn't be linked to by NU.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2018
    TomiNdumplings and Darkaeluz like this.
  13. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll cry if someone translates a chapter in halfway through... searching the Chinese dictionary is effing hard.
    Tony has it hard

14. Carm

Carm Drip drop, when will time stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Savage Parth.

15. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    What about in the case that a translator puts a notice on their blog or something that they are fine with someone else picking up a series that they no longer have time to work on?

16. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    then it's fine? if the translator has shown a desire to stop, then the other person isn't poaching.

17. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Not knowledgeable bout dnd but this make it seem like NU is more Lawful Neutral than a True Neutral lol.

:blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry::blobpoliceangry:

What if there was an Asian or person of different Nationality who is fluent in an Asian language posts their novel on an Asian site under the false name and picture of an Asian native and sets up an website to dual post in said Asian language as well as in English? Would they be breaking any rules?

:cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie::cookie:

I do remember back in the day a lot of stuff was stirred up by Xianxia world and certain other forgettable translator sites starting to post loads of low quality translations of a novel after someone (who may or may not given prior notice) started translating a novel, without having given any type of notice themselves... Saw a lot of translators being bullied out of translating, didn't see NU stop approving their links. Actually some duel posting by different TL's have been going on in some novels a little while back but that was due to an old TL coming back after a month or 2 long break. This happens often.

:blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood:

18. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    ...uh, did you read the post? it was after we noticed poachers. Specifically, the Martial World Poacher.

Also, uh, no. if the novel was originally written in an asian language, we don't care.

19. LysUltima

Reading List:
    Link
    What!?
    Are you planning on dropping Jack of all Trades!??!?!?!?!?!

20. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, Parth, for clarifying some information about translations for us Nuffians.
    (As a side note, you wrote "entire" instead of "enter" for your clarification on adwalls).