Discussion Rampant misleading ratings

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Keima-kun, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's about first impression? If the ch. 1 is barely interesting, it's saying a lot for the next 900+ ch..

Fuyuneko likes this.
  2. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    I always forbid myself to rate something before reading it beforehand.

Yea, I might have rate some series even though it looks like I only read the first chapter; I freaking forgot the last chapter I read so I just put the mark on the first chapter then bing read it later.

mir likes this.
  3. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest using median score instead of average. You lose precision but increase robustness towards outliers

mir and lohwengk like this.
  4. Gechura

Gechura Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    .. - ·----· ... .-. . .- .-.. .-.. -.-- -. --- - .--- ..- ... - --.- .. -.. .. .- -. ·-·-·- .- ... -- . -. - .. --- -. . -.. .- -... --- ...- . --··-- .-. .- - .. -. --. ... .- .-. . .... .. --. .... .-.. -.-- ... ..- -... .--- . -.-. - .. ...- . ·-·-·- - .... .- - --··-- .- -. -.. .--. . --- .--. .-.. . - . -. -.. - --- .-. .- - . -. --- ...- . .-.. ... -... .- ... . -.. --- -. .-- .... .- - - .... . -.-- .-- .- -. - - .... . -- - --- -... . .- -. -.. -. --- - ..-. --- .-. .-- .... .- - - .... . -.-- .-. . .- .-.. .-.. -.-- .- .-. . ·-·-·- .. ·----· ...- . ... . . -. .- .-.. --- - --- ..-. .. -.. .. --- - ... .-. .- - . .- ... .-.. .. -.-. . -····- --- ..-. -····- .-.. .. ..-. . -. --- ...- . .-.. .-- .. - .... .- ... .. -. --. .-.. . ... - .- .-. -... . -.-. .- ..- ... . - .... . -.-- ·----· .-. . .-.. --- --- -.- .. -. --. ..-. --- .-. -... .-.. --- --- -.. .- -. -.. --. ..- - ... .-- .... . .-. . - .... . .-. . ·----· ... --- -. .-.. -.-- ... ..- --. .- .-. .- -. -.. ... .--. .. -.-. . ·-·-·-

mir likes this.
  5. KingOfDreams

KingOfDreams [Master of Sleepiness]

Reading List:
    Link
    you can't do anything about it that's why ratings are meaningless you should read it and judge it yourself.

6. lohwengk

lohwengk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the rating system cannot be trusted, then it is useless and should be abandoned. If it is to remain, it should be made useful and reliable. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the rating system to suggest how to improve them. Maybe only open up the ratings once there are 10 chapters translated and only allow people who have it in their reading list to rate them?

I support this. That said, lousy translators are easy to deal with. The problems are sites with multiple translators, e.g. WW, GT, etc.; translators who do a good job but only update sporadically; good translators who drop novels on a whim; good translators who keep on picking novels which get licensed/DMCA'd and then have to drop them.

Phantom Starlight and Keima-kun like this.
  7. BumChikiBum

BumChikiBum "Notice me, Onii-chan!~"

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really care about rating, never rely on review and rating. If it's fit my taste, i will read it despite the low rating. Ex : MMORPG
    There is qidian novel with good rating that doesn't fit my taste too. Ex : The Magus Era

Phantom Starlight likes this.
  8. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why you guys that hate QI should use the filter, so that you don't bother with their novels and give them a bad rating, what would you feel if you were to see that as an author, and see your novel was treated like that?

9. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    No you're not paranoid, it's true but the opposite is also true, unfortunately.. there are quite a few shit novels on QI that have 4 or even 5 star reviews and the comments are just praising the novel for being epic over and over again but when you sit down and give it a try, you notice that a 7 year old might have better writing, story planning, plot, characters etc. so yeah unfortunately, I've come to realize that (most) ratings are lies and I simply don't bother with them anymore, not on WW, not on QI and not even on NU

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    mir and Phantom Starlight like this.
  10. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    it was not only about qidian novels tho. many novels got so much 1-star rating at the first chapter.

readerz and chamchaworld like this.
  11. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize that a lot of people, for the better or lack of judgement, do place their bias in reviews?

Like "its a harem, therefore 1 star".
    or
    "racist, 1 star"
    or
    "just another ATG/ISSTH/CD, therefore 1 star".

Even if you want to denote it being Qidian, having an "established" anti-corp rep like myself, I find your accusations puzzling.
    That is because even if people hated Qi, they won't cut the nose to spite the face. There are some readable novels that are pretty enjoyable, even if some of the unreadable ones are translated by shitty groups such as wuxiadream under Qidian. The same people would do anything to make sure that the novels that they appreciate don't get slandered.

12. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    many qidian novel is kind of shounen as a genre... though it is filled with gore

13. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not only for Qidian novels, you know? That's why you should read the novel instead of relying on the rating. And honestly, I think those people not just qidian haters. Maybe they just hate the novel tag, since I personally will rate any novel with 'rape victim become lovers' tag with one star.

kenar likes this.
  14. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just be glad there isn't much posts insulting qidian because it honestly gets annoying, sometimes turning all out war between wuxiaword with their readers and qidian with their 88 centers

15. Lonjest

Lonjest Dahar Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Should make it so you can't rate a novel unless an actual review is given and not just some random BS but a somewhat detailed one. And then reviews should be moderated and any reviews that aren't legit then should be removed as would the rating.

Even though this still won't stop troll ratings entirely, at least it puts a level of control on the problem.

Keima-kun likes this.
  16. nubdog

nubdog Simple Person

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason most people rely on the rating is that they don't want to waste time reading it themselves to predict if its good or not in the first place so thats pretty redundant , and if you haven't personally read a novel it would be better to not give it a rating all willy nilly , i mean some people has weird fetishes and likes some maniac tags , leave em be

Keima-kun likes this.
  17. piratex

piratex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is sad that they are giving this rating because gravity and qı are liers. (and thief) But giving a low rating is some kind of lie too.

18. Sakuratea

Sakuratea A Cup ot Tea

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO, translator should not be judged as such because they translate because they like it and kind enough to share their undestanding to other people. This only for those fan translator though...
    Paid translator is fair to be judged like that because they are professional in a sense.

chamchaworld likes this.
  19. Vedastra

Vedastra [I.....See....You.....!!!]

Reading List:
    Link
    here the translation of morse code
    it's really not just qidian as mentioned above, ratings are highly subjective
    that, and people tend to rate novels based on what they want them to be and not for what they really are
    i've seen a lot of idiots rate a slice-of-life novel with a single star because they're looking for blood and guts where there's only sugar and spice.

chamchaworld, mir and kenar like this.
  20. Keima-kun

Keima-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not starting any dramas but just stating what i noticed. Sure other novels had troll ratings too, but the reason i brought up Qidian is that overwhelming majority of its novel is being rated unjustly. Like 80% of it and it is difficult for some readers who are trying to pick up a new material to read

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.