Discussion Sexism in xianxia

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by I Eat Monsanto, Nov 11, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 13th Echelon

13th Echelon Piping Hot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because of the men in their time rape and torture women on a daily basis worldwide.

Probably much more severe than the current time. Look at it from a different perspective.

Mangochic likes this.
  2. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    I've said my two cents, no need for me to stick around and get attacked by angry social justice warriors

3. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not only the women that are sexist though, most of the male MC's are too:
    "You(male) slapped my friend whom I just met for the first time? I'll anhillate your whole bloodline."
    "You(female) attacked me and nearly killed me? Meh, just add you to my harem"
    Given, not all MCs are like that all the time,but...

Besides female only sects are mostly for two reasons:
    1) They cultivate a technique only for women (there are enough similiar techniques for men)
    2) Protection (from men)! Did you notice how often a female is (almost) raped in xianxia stories, just because she has neither the background, nor the strength to retaliate?

I'm not saying, that females aren't sexist (especially in xianxias), I'm just reminding you, that for every female sexist bitch out there, there are at least 9 arrogant young masters trying/hoping to rape her.

4. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    I am pretty sure desolate Era has the mc kill females as well. And anyway I wouldent bother replying to this topic seriously since this dude is clearly baiting for the troll, with the tags and click bait title.

Mangochic likes this.
  5. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    PATRIARCHY!! *autistic screeching*

6. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Because gender role plays differently from culture to culture.
    Its not the same in china as in it for the other country.
    You should be able to understand it if you live in china for a while.

7. Pork_Supreme

Pork_Supreme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see how you can say there's no bias in the opposite direction. There are tons of sects where dudes go around raping women and those are (mostly) seen as evil or at least frowned upon. The female only schools/sects tend to just exclude males rather than directly preying on them for cultivation so I think it's reasonable that several of these would stick around. Also, depending on the experience of cultivators prior to beginning cultivation, they might look for different environments. It would be more gender neutral if the authors also included sects full of hunky men cultivating together on a mountain but that'd be kind of gay and most chinese authors want to steer clear of that since homosexuals still aren't well received in traditional chinese culture.
    Authors also have tons of bias against females noting that they're "soft" or "not as strong" as males. When you live for tens of thousands of years and can lift mountains, I think those comparisons become kind of irrelevant. I'm actually more bothered when authors continue to try and enforce mortal stereotypes on these people who would spend ten years pondering their last sneeze.
    In the particular case you reference, I'm not really sure how I feel. If the character kills every man she comes across, I'd expect half the world to want to kill her. If she only kills people who lust after her or something, that's not really any different than all the young masters who kill people on the streets for breathing too loud....

ognarb and barashkafromro like this.
  8. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    explain.

I Eat Monsanto likes this.
  9. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    Lolllllll you made this click bait title with a bait and switch to draw in people to disagree with you in order to validate your opinion anyway, I don't think you can really complain.

ognarb, boppity and barashkafromro like this.
  10. Asf

Reading List:
    Link
    What is this parth hierarchy youre talking about? :p

runsing likes this.
  11. I Eat Monsanto

Reading List:
    Link
    ok I was about to leave but let me debunk the female sect thing for the billionth time real quick. Female sects CANNOT protect women any more than a regular sect. Why? Because if you leave the sect then you aren't being protected (duh) and if you stay in the sect then you'd be protected regardless of what type of sect it is (think about that)

12. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Culture. It is pointless to say why and why not. If you have exprinced life in China, you will understand everything that you have alway wondered "why?".

Yonas likes this.
  13. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Women certainly seem like cats in quite a few cultivation stories. They'll manage to escape death unless they're super determined to screw with the MC or they're just unlucky at the time. The main women dying tend to be those old crones.

14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    If a guy says he only kills women, that isn't sexism. That is a psycho serial killer.

That said, sexism is pretty much what xianxia is all about. I mean you don't see the novel describing the male character's jade like skin. Every female is pretty much described as an object.

As for the female sects, many of them exist precisely because of men. (female sects actually exist in the animal kingdom from horses to elephants, where they drive off males unless the females are interested). The purpose of female sects is usually just that, to protect themselves from a male drive society.

BUT, don't be confused, most of the females and female sects in xianxia that hate men mostly exist so the MC can trample over them.

That is because the male MC will save them all at the nick of time and add them to his harem.

ludagad and barashkafromro like this.
  15. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont look with your perspective. Look with the the culture of the authorsl's perspective.

16. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So it's not female authors depicting women that way but male authors writing any strong females as femi-nazi man haters? Are you sure that's true in most cases? I don't know how to recognized feminine and masculine names in Chinese so I'll take your word for it.
    As for double standards.. Meh, I think the chauvinistic patriarchy is part of the world building of all Wuxia, Xianxia & Xuanhuan Novels. Simple put, the time and era and the culture are all based on historic China and myth so of coarse it's going to reflect that. I don't complain when the women and men are one dimensional stereotypes of hyper femininity and masculinity. It just is. Don't like it, don't read it.

Edit: Also WTF LOL with that tag? "dickbutt" hard to take the thread starter serious and not trolling with that kind of tag.. just saying.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  17. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not debunked just because you say so.

1. If you leave the sect you'll leave with your sect mates. If you're from an all female sect then your sect mates are far less likely to target you for such things.

2. You can be targeted in the sect if you don't have backing. The main girl in HSSB was targeted in her sect after her Grandmaster died and she lost her Yin powers. She had to flee the sect.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    barashkafromro likes this.
  18. YoungQuas

YoungQuas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easier to write?
    You don't need to think about it that much and most audience tends to soak it up.

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz most arrogant young master deserve to be slapped(hey most are idiot which make me wonder how they survive that long)? while I rarely see arrogant young miss while there some arrogant young bitch ~

yeah kill da man woman rules!

20. Asf

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.