Spoiler Crossing to the Future, it's Not Easy to Be a Man

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Galaxii, Oct 19, 2017.

1. NerdExpress

NerdExpress 『Shem's Kouhai』,『Nerdy』,『Saving The World』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, MC's current school she's applying into is ("In Doha Star, there were numerous Scout Academies like this. But this Scout Academy that Ling Lan was enrolling in was the best one in the system, none were better.") the best scout academy. This doesn't mean that the ML is necessarily weaker though, it's just that he's attending a different school.

Onelifeonelove and somnious like this.
  2. NerdExpress

NerdExpress 『Shem's Kouhai』,『Nerdy』,『Saving The World』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't recall that being said in the translated chapters? In the translated chapters iirc, it was only briefly said that MC wasn't that "special" as other people also could do 10 doses and more. Btw, if you want to know more about ML, if you haven't already, read @somnious 's post above.

somnious likes this.
  3. somnious

somnious Leopard Boy Li Lanfeng Bias

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeye I'll try doing that once I get out a bunch more chapters :3c Right now I just want to power my way through and reach the first appearance of the male lead >^< (this translator loves to see the poor boy suffer so much ahhh)

It's not really clarified, unfortunately. It's just said that the male lead has a ridiculous potential but nothing about his body stats or anything. As for the medicine...

Here's a great example of the author's love for Chekov's guns/hinting the future. Initially it's stated that even the special grade medicine can't pass 90% in purity - however, for Li Lanfeng's body to recover, a near 100% purity is needed. Li Lanfeng's illness (in addition to his secondary spirt talent) is actually what spurred his younger di cousin, Li Shuyu, to study medicine. Li Shuyu manages to create a near purified version of the medicine. The problem is that those who take it suffer a hellish pain because it also has the effect of cleansing out the impurities from lower quality medicine. With Xiao Si's help (implied), Li Shuyu is able to manufacture a pure version.

Also, to be honest, the initial dose thing can be completely ignored. Ling Lan will eventually (offscreen) use a huge amount of medicine to improve her body behind everyone's back. Unfortunately, it's still not enough.

Yeah, Ling Lan's school is the best of the best. The ML's school is a lot worse bc he lives on a three star planet, which has a lot less resources than something as luxurious as Doha. The ML's ability to get into the First Men's Military Academy is solely reliant on his own power despite the lack of resources. In the history of the school, the ML is the only one that managed to get into the academy I think. I'm not sure. But if it helps to imagine the differences between the two scout schools:

Ling Lan's school usually has an average of 100 students that successfully test into the First Men's Military Academy every year, if not a bit more.

Li Lanfeng's school is lucky if even one person manages to test into the lower ranked military academies - Li Lanfeng's acceptance into the First Men's Military Academy can be considered the biggest success story his school has had in...forever.

4. Aeiru28

Aeiru28 Unchanged Melody

Reading List:
    Link
    ah... so ten doses is just above average not really special... I think I just process the words a bit differently, then...

I already read that spoiler and can't wait until ML appear....:D:D
    (I want to MTL but for now I can only used Google, and when I think try reading it, my brain still can't adjust properly...:cry::cry:)

ah... so MC's school is like a prestigious school from big city and ML's school was like an average school from country side or something...

FicLover520 likes this.
  5. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Yah! the MTL is really hard to understand wuwuwu...I'm lucky I can understand Chinese when I hear it and someone's done an audio book for a good portion of the novel! As for the rest...I used google to read to me...

FicLover520 and Tintl like this.
  6. Aeiru28

Aeiru28 Unchanged Melody

Reading List:
    Link
    Lucky~
    I still not understanding chinese yet... only know just a little characters as I am more or less know some kanji...so I have better chance at reading Japanese raws than Chinese (it has too many characters to remember).

until my brain.can endure the pain of MTL, then I can only appeased myself with translated chapters and some.spoilers....

AimieNam1003 and somnious like this.
  7. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    @Onelifeonelove

The ML initially appears as the 'dangerous virtual death god man' that Ling Lan ends up sitting next to in Chapter 108 during the mecha battle match. You actually don't get the ML vibe initially, but when Ling Lan goes to practice mecha piloting later in the virtual world, she will, by chance, come across the ML again when he's taking the graduating exam for the training center. He does amazingly well, but notices her right when he was about to graduate.

Curious, he rejects his graduation and returns to the training center and sees Ling Lan getting ready to take the test also. He stays by the side to watch (bc you can actually watch other people take the exam) and is amazed by her technique. Right when he's about to go back and retake the exam, Ling Lan reappears and he's shocked bc he thought she would graduate. He asked her why she stayed and she stated "aren't there 1000 more people ranked ahead of us? Why should we be less than 1000 people?" (the test ranks people by speed of test completion...no surprise, Ling Lan's father, Ling Xiao, is No. 1 on the list LOL). They end up becoming the infamous 'Rabbit Leopard Pair' (bc some how the vicious and lethal Ling Lan is actually a bunny, jk it's just her gacha luck is crap and she pulled a rabbit mecha).

The result is the two of them practicing basic training together for a period of time Mentor No. 3 (the mecha instructor) tells Ling Lan she can start learning more advanced skills. At the same time, the ML is taking the exam all 13 year olds in scout academies take that determine whether or not they can enter the virtual world at the age of 13 instead of 16, so they both log in to tell each other they're going to leave. However, the ML says it first, which made Ling Lan's words seem like she was trying to comfort him (which makes him sadder bc he realized they were going to become familiar strangers). Although he wants to tell Ling Lan who he really is, he remembers his grandfather's words and stops. He runs off to take the test and manages to get within the top 5 at a second after Ling Xiao's score. Ling Lan takes the test too and, surprise, gets a familiar map for the test and becomes the next No. 1 on the rankings, causing the ML to feel even worse bc he thinks that Ling Lan could have left any time; she was just waiting for him.

After, he logs off and lays in the VR pod, crying. The housekeeper asks if he's ok, which he responds 'why do I have to do this? I missed the most important person in my life.' It really makes you cry when you read it bc he's just. So heartbroken. Like imagine spending your entire life in an environment where you can't trust anyone, and the only person you could have any faith in ends up lost due to being unable to tell them your identity...let's cry some sympathetic tears for Li Lanfeng.

Meanwhile, Ling Lan totally forgets him...囧

He appears once more when Ling Lan and the little partners arrive at the First Men's Military School. At that time, he is the strategist for the Wuji faction (there's Leiting - lighting, Wuji - promise, and Secret something). However the two leaders of Wuji don't trust Li Lanfeng and only keep him around bc he's the one that has helped keep them within the top three faction ranks. Initially both Ling Lan and Li Lanfeng don't recognize each other, but Li Lanfeng senses something about her that makes him feel a bit of familiarity and assumes that she might be a virtual death god also. He decides to try and partner with her and drops a few hints that he knows she did to the secret something faction (she physically crippled the leader and destroyed his spirit talent bc he tried to 'make friends' with her precious little brother, Luo Lang and had Xiao Si mentally ruin the faction's hacker for helping them kidnap him). She feels that he's very dangerous and decides to keep herself at a distance.

Fast forward, Ling Lan's father decides to drop by and visit her. After days of being awkward with her overly familiar dad, she finally remembers that her dad is the god level pilot. Ling Lan, being a fighting otaku, gets her dad to log onto the VR world and have him help her out. Right when they were about to spar, Li Lanfeng and his friend, Zhao Jun, come into the room (Ling Lan and her dad actually went into the room they were sparring in earlier). As Ling Lan and Ling Xiao spar, Ling Lan ends up using Rabbit Sky Step + a super basic piloting skill that Li Lanfeng has seen countless times. This reveals to Ling Lan to him and he desperately asks her if she's Rabbit. Ling Lan is shocked bc she wasn't expecting to meet him here and sends him a friend request with 'Leopard, let's talk later'. Finding Ling Lan again, Li Lanfeng is so happy to the point of crying and he had to grab his trembling hand so he wouldn't accidentally hit decline friend request.

Later on, he decides to join Ling Lan's mecha clan. Ling Lan was puzzled as to why Li Lanfeng hadn't joined any clans and thought it was bc he might not actually be a soldier. However, bc she knew his ability and felt that he was her first friend, she decided to let him join regardless. She even goes as far as to tell him to join the 23rd army (her dad's army) bc that way she can pull him to her later on if it does turn out that he's an ordinary small soldier.

In order to set up a mecha clan, the group has to complete a mission. Of course, Ling Lan's gacha luck is horrible as usual and she gets slammed in the head with an SSS difficulty mission. Skipping the mission details, Ling Lan and Li Lanfeng get to spend some quality time together where Li Lanfeng tries to protect Ling Lan but fails bc she's actually better than him and he ends up being the one protected. During this mission, their real identities are revealed to one another, which shocks both of them. Ling Lan is the person who kicked the Lightning King, Qiao Ting, in the family jewels (figuratively speaking, not actually) during her first year (Li Lanfeng hates Qiao Ting bc he thinks he might be his Phoenix Empress Fate's emperor....lmao...) and he wasn't expecting her to be so young (everyone thinks Ling Lan's second talent is hacking, but it's just Xiao Si lmao). Ling Lan's thoughts were 'as I thought, Leopard is a bad person', but trusts him regardless bc they knew each other before they learned of each other's identities.

From then on, Li Lanfeng literally sticks himself to Ling Lan like a giant limpet...full of...love? (he claims friendship and that he's 100% straight, right? right.)

As for what they think of each other (sorry i literally digressed from everything LMAO...)

Ling Lan initially sees Li Lanfeng as her first friend. Later on they become closer due to Li Lanfeng's efforts and the fact that he devotes himself so heavily to her. As a result, he ends up becoming the person closest to her outside of Xiao Si. She gets angry every time he tries to sacrifice himself for her. She does care about him, but her care is different than the one she has towards her little partners. It's kind of hard to say what her emotions are at towards Li Lanfeng, but there is a blossom of love growing there somewhere. He goes from a friend to a companion that can fully compliment her in everything. She knows his thought process like the back of her hand and him as well, which results in them being a harmonious pair. However, it's unlikely for Ling Lan to recognize any of her emotions towards Li Lanfeng unless something terrible happens to him. He actually frequently utilizes this on Ling Lan to try and capture her heart...Li Lanfeng is also the only person that can touch her/come close to her without her feeling uncomfortable. She also keeps missing all of the Big Obvious Hints Dropped By Li Lanfeng on the 'person' that he likes (c'mon Ling Lan what other...Emperor Domain youngsters...could Li Lanfeng be talking about...um Ling Lan why can't you notice Li Lanfeng literally stripping in front of you...feeding you...climbing into your bed...keke...)

I don't have any definite evidence, but I think one of the reasons why Ling Lan hasn't had any other, uh, thoughts towards Li Lanfeng other than eating his tofu every now and then or blanking out and really eating his tofu from how seductive he acts is due to the fact that she hasn't hit puberty. In order to hide her gender, she constantly took military grade hormone suppressants? It isn't until the most recent arc that she hits puberty bc the place she goes to lacks resources and due to what happened beforehand, she totally forgot to take the medicine. So uh, our little Queen Ling Lan...Is now? A woman? (lmao Li Lanfeng sniffed it on her right away, but didn't know...it was that...). I guess it could be safely said that Li Lanfeng's impression in Ling Lan's mind is an utterly unique one. He's someone she not only can trust, but trust to the point that they don't need words.

As for Li Lanfeng, Ling Lan is his everything. He, a horrible, inferior, terrible little man, will do anything for Ling Lan's attention and love as well as her wellbeing. Because of Ling Lan, he had a chance to become strong. Because of Ling Lan, he found saw light in the darkness. Because of Ling Lan, he can live. He owes everything to Ling Lan. Ling Lan is his guiding star, his heart's spiritual pillar. Everything can be given up on, but he cannot give up on Ling Lan.

He spent 7 years in the virtual world looking for her shadow. For him, growing up in the toxic environment of the Li clan, her existence was something different. For her, he wanted to become even stronger, to force his broken body to become better. For her, he could finally bear his beautiful face that he cursed for all his life. And for her, perhaps, he felt human.

Somewhere along the story, Ling Lan will see the future. The future that will happen if she died at the hands of the enemy she was fighting. In that future, Li Lanfeng goes mad. Because of his beauty, he wouldn't be killed, but because of his life, he would deform into a monster that sweeps the world and becomes a hegemonic tyrant. He will succeed in his revenge, but because of it, transform into a paranoid and lonely man driven to madness.

When he heard Ling Lan cry for the first time, he felt helpless. He wanted to be on the other side of the door, he wanted to hold her and cry with her. But he couldn't and could only cry silently with her. Li Lanfeng wants to be able to stand besides her, not be protected behind her.

When he learned that the Phoenix Emperor was Ling Lan, his psychological demon wanted to kill her. However, right before he could, he remembered everything she did for him, and her trust. It was then that he decided, his fate wasn't bad at all. If he could be at Ling Lan's side...

Ah...Li Lanfeng's portion ended up sounding stupidly poetic.

Basically Li Lanfeng's impression of Ling Lan is strong to the point of people's dreams. He's darkly obsessed with her to the point that he'll shamelessly use even Ling Lan's own weaknesses to make her fall for him (her concern for his health, for example lmao, and his face). Also he shamelessly keeps touching her and hugging/holding her without his mask on in her presence, which results in Ling Lan blanking out mentally and fixating on his delicious looking collar bones or really soft looking skin...Thankfully Ling Lan's pokerface is god tier.

Also this is all while Li Lanfeng thinks Ling Lan is a man. LOL.

now everyone knows how much i love this horrible little man im so sorry aaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA //////

Also u should check out my spoiler for Li Lanfeng

EXTRA: Some Chinese fans like to call Li Lanfeng 'Xiao Fengzi', which uses the 'feng' character (maple) in his name. However, it's also a homophone for 'crazy'.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Nelhiro, Tintl, FicLover520 and 36 others like this.
  8. Aeiru28

Aeiru28 Unchanged Melody

Reading List:
    Link
    ermm.... didn't the name with Xiao and end with Zi is usually for eunuch or something (I usually saw the name for some eunuch character in ancient china novel was like that)...
    so... the ml is obsessive type, huh... thankfully mc is not some weak character...

and I think he suit the empress as he is a real beauty...and didn't usually the empress in some stories obsessive toward their emperor???
    (*cough sorry, Xiao Feng Zi *cough)

9. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL....RIP let us all pray for Xiao Fengzi...ML's only obsessed bc it's the MC...pats the poor child....

FicLover520, wafflebeauty and Galaxii like this.
  10. Chewie

Chewie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I was reading through the spoilers, I was both happy and sad...

Initially, I thought that Ling Lan might end up with either Long Qi or someone under her....but turns out it's not.
    I have sped through with the audiobook and the raws by hand and is currently in the arc of after her initial meeting with the male lead around ch 131.

Personally, I really shipped Ling Lan with Long Qi, therefore, what happened to her gang after she joined the first men military school?

11. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh it's impossible for Ling Lan to get together with any of the kids she met at the Scout Academy bc even though she's 6, she's still a 33 year old person at heart. For her, they all basically became her children (bc she wanted to have kids) and students. In her mind, they're her kids, in a way. It's more obvious when she graduates the military academy and enters Imperial/King level in piloting bc what was holding her back was her need to protect her 'children'. Her gang were the ones that tested into the military academy initially, so they all just united under her again when she was thrown into the place by her father.

For Qilong, Ling Lan is the person that he respects the most and the one that he wants to become the shield for (in a non romantic way) bc she's like a parent to him. He realizes that Ling Lan gave a great deal to him that he can't pay back (he wouldn't be in the place that he is right now if it weren't for her).

What specifically are you asking about the gang though? Bc a lot of stuff happens...

12. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    I posted my doodle dump from my sketchbook. It's a bit spoilerish so i'll link it here <:3c

http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/somniouss-doodle-dump.52154/

Other than mentioning the characteristics/behavior and general 'very beautiful/handsome', the author actually doesn't describe the characters much physically. So most of these sketches were done on the 'feeling' the character gave me <:3c

13. Onelifeonelove

Onelifeonelove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! By the way, when or in which chapter does he finds out he's in love with her, not the friendship type and realizes Ling Lan is a woman not a man. Would it be all the way near towards the end or the novel is still ongoing and her gender is still hidden? I read up to ch 400 and I already wanted her gender thing to be expose so badly. Maybe because I read a lot novels where they get expose early on, not later on until the end of novel. It's like I'm looking forward to her being expose, so the romance would appear and I get to see the FL & ML being in love or cuddly with each other. It's killing me, this type of slow romance. Haha :blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes:

AimieNam1003 likes this.
  14. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Li Lanfeng realizes he's in love with Ling Lan around Chapters 900-1200 if I remember. He probably was in love with her a lot earlier but didn't realize until after Ling Lan announced that she had not just one, but two fiancees.

There's a specific point in the story where he realizes he's in love and is finally grateful for his fate - after all, it meant that he would be the one by Ling Lan's side. Um, as for Ling Lan's gender, it's only been exposed to the two little sisters, Han Xuya and Luo Chao. Initially it was bc Ling Lan's body hasn't developed (bc of the hormone suppressants) and also because of Ling Lan's terrifying aura and god-like existence that makes the people around her not even doubt that she's a man. After all, if her little partners who grew up with her from the youngest age of her life don't realize that she's a woman, no one else will suspect, right? As for any medical information, the convenient super cheat Xiao Si can cover up anything.

I'm not sure when the author intends to at least expose Ling Lan's gender to Li Lanfeng, but it might be soon? As of recently, she's lost access to a huge amount of resources and can't obtain the hormone suppressants. Um, as for Li Lanfeng, he's generally very smart and attentive so? Technically it shouldn't be hard for him, but we can't factor out the plot armor around Ling Lan's gender.

15. Hotato

Hotato Eternally Confused

Reading List:
    Link
    Who's her fiancees? And I want to know moments of the ML being jealous~

16. Onelifeonelove

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought Li Lanfeng is smart as well however he didn't discover FL's gender...he is the one closest to her and had a good close up look at her. I thought it would've been obvious if people see that she does not have adam's apple.

17. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Luo Chao and Han Xuya

Well, if you look at how the story setting is set up, it's unlikely that, after a certain point, people will think beyond. Ling Lan's an anomaly in the whole 'women are weaker biologically' BS the author uses, so as a result, most people probably won't think anything about how feminine Ling Lan looks. Plus, what does Li Lanfeng have to doubt to begin with? Ling Lan's overbearing and powerful the point that it's constantly pointed out how she has zero feminine air. It's not like all men have prominent adams apples either, and if Ling Lan's little brothers haven't figured out Ling Lan's gender after 14 years of living with her, there's no reason for Li Lanfeng to think in that direction either. Also, keke, Ling Lan still looks like a 16 year old jade doll...at the age of 26. Very moe, very cute. Hengheng, how would Li Lanfeng be able to think she's not a man with an airport runway flat chest after hugging her constantly...gets immediately obliterated by a thousand ice threads ahhhh Lan shao Lan shao mercy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  18. Ran ahzu

Ran ahzu “a very tired person"

Reading List:
    Link
    She drinks some special hormone suppression tonics so it's no wonder

19. Onelifeonelove

Reading List:
    Link
    FL usually take those hormone suppression drugs, but I think you did mention she went to another area and couldn't get those drugs, so....shouldn't her flat airport runway chest start growing back to normal?

20. somnious

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep ^q^ but that's actually during the current arc, so we gotta wait still (Y)

Right now the author is having health problems so she hasn't been posting any new updates, so let's wish her good health o^o9

Oweng and AimieNam1003 like this.