Looking for Work Kono Sugoi 2018 Rankings Novel Pickup Help

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by flowingcloud, Nov 27, 2017.

?

Which novels do you think are interesting?

1. Our Remake Becoming a Creator After Returning Back Ten Years Ago!

2. The Second Elf Force’s Expedition Meal

3. Light Novel Professional!

4. Beautiful Girl Novelist and Aiming to be a Million Sellerrrrrrrr!!

5. The Future of Both the Reader and Protagonist

6. Seishun Buta Yarou Series

7. Reworld Frontier -- The Weakest Becomes the Strongest Support Magic Style <Enhancer> User--

8. Moon, Laika, and the Bloodsucking Princess

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Our group, Yado Inn, is planning planning to pick up a novel from a novel from "Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi" rankings. We would like to see how many people are interested in each novel. Please vote on the survey after reading each synopsis and (my personal) overview on which novels are interesting. You can vote for more than one novel. Vote for as many as you want as long as you think it's interesting.
    *Disclaimer: This is only for reference to see how many people are interested in each novel. A novel getting first in votes does not mean we will necessarily pick it up.

Title: ぼくたちのリメイク 十年前に戻ってクリエイターになろう!
    Our Remake Becoming a Creator After Returning Back Ten Years Ago!
    Synopsis: Kyouya Hashiba, who worked at a game company, had his dream shattered and decided to return to his parents’ home, but after waking up, it was ten years ago…… For some reason, he was attending the arts college that he was supposed to have given up on, furthermore, the creators that he admired in the future were his classmates!?
    Flowy Overview: It’s a romcom where the protagonist returns to ten years back, back to his arts college, but he does not have any particular skills at all. Even so, he makes an impact using his 10 years of experience with his classmates. Main character uses his perseverance to get over the problems.

Title: エノク第二部隊の遠征ごはん
    The Second Elf Force’s Expedition Meal
    Synopsis: Mel, a combat medic who was assigned to the expedition force, was fainting in agony at the bad taste of the supplied preserved foods.
    The bread was sour and hard as stone. The dried meat was bland and impossible to bite through.
    The combat medic, who regarded it as a life crisis, stood up to the problem alone.
    This is the story of the hard struggle of the elf girl Mel who made use of her knowledge and experience of living in the forest to eat delicious food at the expedition destination.
    Flowy Overview: It’s just a cute story where the female protagonist uses ingredients she finds during her expeditions to eat delicious food.

Title: ラノベのプロ!
    Light Novel Professional!
    Synopsis: The best-selling, pig-headed light novel author with a dud anime, Jiyouta, has an annual income of 25 million yen. Such a man, along with his childhood friend Kizuki Yuma whom he hired for tax purposes, challenges the industry's severe financial situation head-on in order to realize "a certain ambition". Through writing!
    Flowy Overview: It’s a romcom, similar to Eromanga-sensei and Imouto Sae Ireba Ii, where the novel explores the light novel industry. The jokes, unlike the other series, mainly focus on the light novel industry, instead of their everyday lives.

Title: 美少女作家と目指すミリオンセラアアアアアアアアッ!!
    Beautiful Girl Novelist and Aiming to be a Million Sellerrrrrrrr!!
    Synopsis: Kiyozumi Kurokawa, who should have been the “Million seller--that is the goal that I am not willing to concede” literature editor, somehow was assigned to the light novel editorial department. Phone calls with dirty jokes, an always teary-eyed senior, a vice editor-in-chief who is indulged in games and lives at the office, and finally the editor-in-chief who has currently disappeared. Furthermore, the author I’m in charge of, who is on the verge of being discontinued, is in a slump where she’s in an “I don’t know what I want to write” state, and the genius JK novelist who was begged said, “It still hasn’t come to me yet,”----how long do I have to wait!! Somebody make the best story with me please!
    Flowy Overview: Finally, a romcom where the main character is an editor. The novel is a mix of comedy and seriousness, so it’s somewhat hard to take the serious scenes seriously. The jokes are pretty fresh and it has an ongoing plot.

Title: 読者と主人公と二人のこれから
    The Future of Both the Reader and Protagonist
    Synopsis: As long as I have this story, nothing else is needed. As long as I have this novel, “14 Years Old,” and the main character who certainly only exists within it, Tokiko----however, the girl appeared in front of me. It was supposed to be the start of another grey-colored day, the new semester’s homeroom. The girl standing in front of the blackboard was Tokiko, who was supposed to be inside the story that I own. The awkward distance of the two who got acquainted. The strange feelings that entwined between the “Tokiko” within the story and “Tokiko Hiragi” who was in front of me. The story about the reader and the protagonist who were weren’t supposed to meet. The conclusion to that is----.
    Flowy Overall: If you haven’t noticed yet, he meets the girl that was the model of the main character of his favorite book. This isn’t a romcom, but just pure romance. There’s nothing too complex about the romance, so it’s easy to understand.

Title: Seishun Buta Yarou Series
    Synopsis: ----Hey, let’s kiss. The girl who was in front of me said that to tease me, then after a short time disappeared from in front of me. There are no bunny girls living in the library. Defying that common sense, Sakuta Azusagawa meet a wild bunny girl. Furthermore, she was not just a bunny. She was an upperclassman at Sakuta’s high school, Mai Sakurajima-senpai, a popular talent currently on break from her activities. A few days ago, an incident occurred where her appearance “could not be seen by the people around her,” it could be said it was confirmed at the library. Sakuta became acquaintances with her under the pretext of cooperating with Mai, but----? In the town surrounded by the ocean and sky, it was the start of the story concerning her and my love.
    Flowy Overview: Author and illustrator is the same combo that did Sakura Pet, so there’s not much to say on whether this novel will be good or not. There’s also a manga adaption (named: Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai), so you can read that since it goes pretty far into the novel in my opinion to get an idea of what this novel is like. Also, Mai is ranked number 4 in female characters in Kono Sugoi rankings.

Title: リワールド・フロンティア-最弱にして最強の支援術式使い〈エンハンサー〉-
    Reworld Frontier -- The Weakest Becomes the Strongest Support Magic Style <Enhancer> User--
    Synopsis: NU LINK
    Flowy Overview: Well, it’s already translated a few chapters in lmao.

Moon, Laika, and the Bloodsucking Princess - PICKED UP
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/moon-laika-and-the-bloodsucking-princess/

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Shiru, Ddraig, Jigoku Shounen and 4 others like this.
  2. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
    That editor rom-com looks interesting, please pick that one up

3. nubdog

nubdog Simple Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh please you people obviously want to do Moon, Laika, and the Bloodsucking Princess , seeing how u guys go out of the way to write the longest summary for it , and seeing by how almost generic all the others are compared to it , its kinda obvious , so go ahead and do it

4. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    I voted for the first but that Reworld makes me think the group could catch up to the raws quicker since it looks like it has fewer chapters to TL. If you can, could you tell what number of chapters the novels have currently and if they are still ongoing or not? Feel like that'help people choose better since it'd give them more factors to consider.

5. Adardoniel

Adardoniel MTL Addict

Reading List:
    Link
  6. morli

morli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... most of them are romcom. Honestly, it's not my cup of a tea. I believe most other people will like a more fantasy-like setting. For me personally I like mystery/psychological theme more.

7. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All of them are ongoing...... that's why they're are on the Kono Sugoi Rankings......
    Only the Reworld novel was translated. As for how many chapters each novel has, well I honestly don't understand why that should be a factor considered in choosing if a novel is interesting or not.

I copy and pasted all the synopsis from each light novel description, then translated it. That just happened to be the longest one lmao.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2017
    Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    The top 3 is already translated.. So go with number 4, isn't that obvious? *derp*

9. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Our Remake Becoming a Creator After Returning Back Ten Years Ago!
    seems good

10. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    well because the number of chapters can determine few things, like how long readers have to wait to read the novel in its entirety. Take CN novels for example, readers love some of the novels but a thousand plus chapters really makes one doubt they'd ever get to finish it unless one of the faster translators/groups picks it up....damn disheartening man. Not many readers, i would assume, would wanna pick a novel they have little hope of reading fully.

All those novels should be interesting or else you wouldn't wanna offer to translate them eh? even if people have different tastes, thats of no matter. So i dont think we gotta worry about it being uninteresting. Just, i dont know, for me personally at least i dont wanna be potentially waiting two or three years to finish a novel that's being translated.

So that's kinda why i always take the number of chapter into account, and i dont think im the only one to do so honestly.

11. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to vote just for the million seller because the setting reminded me a bit of the manuscript boy & girl series, but Seishun Buta Yarou tops that. I really like the interactions and world-building in the manga, and you tell me Mai's arc is only the 4th best? Hell yeah!

12. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    It's seems that after magic school and Isekai, the new template for LN is LN... :blobsmirk:

13. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally, light novel volumes work well enough as stand-alones. Sometimes 2 combine like one big volume in some series (i.e. Mahouka) but you could decide this volume is the perfect ending for me; I'm done and it would work well enough.

14. Hmntlzn

Hmntlzn 9th Mistress_❤

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll vote non-harem novel! But I believe almost that all those novel are Harem -because its Japan -novel

15. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    eh, true enough. Most JP novels at least are never as long as xianxia or wuxia novels. Longest JP novel i seen had like 16 volumes and i think and even that isn't much in comparison to novels like ATG. I wonder how many volumes a typical JP novel has? I'm thinking maybe around 5 or more.

16. Vyren

Vyren Version 3.33

Reading List:
    Link
    Tfw Kazuma Kamachi has almost 44 volumes of single story while his other works are at 10+ volumes

17. chencking

Reading List:
    Link
    Index has over 50 by now...

edit: anyway, by mean I wouldn't be surprised if as you said it's around 5, but remove the one-shots and I'd estimate the median at 10-20.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Vyren likes this.
  18. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    but those would be expections tho right? Honestly have seen many past 10 volumes.

19. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Something like Campione with 21 volumes, then like Rokujouma with 26 Volumes+. A typical JP novels can range from more or less than 10 Volumes but At Least they didn't do repetitive plots like CN novels....
    (There are many novels with more than 20+ volumes, just the translators Rarely translated that many volumes cause reasons(DMCA, dropped, etc...))

20. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    ten or so for the average then it seems, hm? Didn't know that, but yeah i agree they dont seem to be as prone to repetitiveness as CNs. Though really what can you expect when the numbers of chapters reaches those kinda numbers?