Discussion Tacos, Burritos or Kebabs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 7aco, Aug 5, 2017.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Tacos

13.8%
  2. Burritos

20.7%
  3. Kebabs

65.4%
  1. 7aco

7aco Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Seems like your opinions on skewered are clearly skewed by location

Google seems to only have Australia, UK and US in their data collection thing though.

*edit*

[​IMG]
    Oh no, google seems to have opposite trends to this thread.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is not a Kebab.

All the arab countries that are not turkey, as well as israel, as well as india all call it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawarma

Greeks call it a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food)

The turks on the other hand call it Doner OR Doner Kebap (not kebab).
    For some reason some euro nations and americans decided that means that a shawarma is a kebab now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab

Oh yea, all those countries use the word kebab for
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebab

3. 7aco

7aco Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shawarma is specifically Levantine.
    (I first heard of it from a youtube video last year, made by a Canadian)

Doner kebab seems to be Turkish.

From the wiki page you linked for kebabs.
    "In most majority English-speaking countries, two of the most prevalent and familiar kebab dishes are shish kebab and doner kebab. Either of these are often simply referred to as a "kebab" in English."

4. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which is literally why I said Euro and Americans are using the word wrong
    Doesn't matter where you heard it, half the world uses the term and has been using it for a very long time.

5. 7aco

7aco Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Um. Pretty sure they are different things.
    (or maybe like pizzas and tacos, they took a food and changed it to a new form)

It is like comparing Indian curry to thai curry and malaysian curry.
    Then there is the japanese one. etc...

If you scroll up, someone did bring up Gyros, a Greek bread thing I think.
    Or a wrap. It kind of looks like halfway between everything provided.

Just saying, you can't be saying this is not that when there are so many similar but probably fundamentally different dishes around the world. (.. that I have yet to try.)

6. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In this specific case, they are literally the same thing. Doner Kebap, Gyros, and Shawarma are identical. Unlike the curry example
    But I do know. I am very familiar with all those dishes.

7. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    If I say none?

7aco likes this.
  8. eklok14

eklok14 Lvl 20 Corporate Slave

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to Kebab History 101

7aco likes this.
  9. 7aco

7aco Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    here is a random quora link I found. (not unrelated but just first one I skimmed and seems to fit)
    https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-gyros-shawarma-döner-and-kebab-The-U-S-and-Europe-seem-to-use-these-in-overlapping-but-different-ways-and-Im-confused

I don't think you can really just slap them all together as Identical.
    They have similar origins but have changed (especially the sides and what is comes in).

But yeah okay. Seems like it is becoming a bit pointless.
    Yes I get that you think they are all the same. (and somehow calling it one name is more or less wrong then calling it another name for the whole collective?!?!)

I think it is different and kind of makes me a bit uncomfortable that people would blanket all those food/cultures/origins together and etc.. (but not even from my own culture so :blobReach:)

They are definitely similar.... like chinese la mien and japanese ramen :blobpopcorn_cool:.

10. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, so you are taking the word of some random dude in Quora over mine. Fine, let's look at what that person had to say:

That writeup you linked is saying "Gyros, Shawarma and Doner are basically same thing with some minor differences."

It then goes on to detail what those minor differences are:
    1. In Turkey a doner would be served either as a wrap, on a plate, or inside a bread. unless you go to a "wrap shop" where it is always served in a wrap.
    2. Gyro is served with Tzaziki inside a pita
    3. "Shawarma, is being served as a wrap most of the time. I don't know if they serve it differently."

The thing is
    a. while doner can be served as all 3, it is most commonly served in a "wrap". also it is wrapped in a pita.
    b. tzaziki sauce is optional. otherwise it is basically wrapped in a pita, or inserted into a pita if it is a hollow pita
    c. shawarma is also served in a pita. either a wrap or by slicing the pita in the middle and stuffing it. Except when it isn't. some restaurants would serve it differently (like on a plate) but generally its in a pita.
    [​IMG]

So... its really the same food. Oh, and in all 3 cases you usually get a bunch of choices for stuff to go alongside it. Like french fries, and a wide variety of pickled vegetables.

I can, because they ARE. not only that, but both are versatile enough.

Take for example pizza, can you insist that america pizza is completely different than pizza made in the middle east? Different stores will have different preferences for topping. Mushroom pizza is very popular in israel, while in the USA the favorite seems to be pepperoni pizza. But when I go to the pizza shop in america I can just tell them to put mushrooms on my pizza and you can't really say "oh its not really an american pizza because you asked for mushrooms on it".

I am not just randomly slapping "they are the same" tag on it out of laziness and ignorance. I am very familiar with all 3 foods and have lived many years in the middle east. As well as sampled them in Europe over many trips and the USA. This is one of those foods that has not changed too much and besides the lack of change it also is a very modular food to begin with where the customer chooses what he wants on it.
    ... this reminds of this time where someone on a forum complained at a guy whose forum avatar had a red forehead dot. saying its "racist towards hindus". The reason he had that forum avatar is because he was a married hindu man living in india and wanted his forum avatar to reflect his real appearance (he wears the red dot IRL).

I am not dismissive of "other cultures". I am literally FROM those "other cultures". And I am not saying it's the same out of some ignorance and ethnocentrism. I am saying it because in this specific instance they happen to be the same thing with different names. While ramen noodles and spaghetti are distinctly different things

11. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To clarify the above. It seems we have tangled up some different arguments.

argument 1 is shawarma vs doner kebab. same dish, different words. I argued that due to widespreadness (turkey uses doner, all the other middleeaster countries use shawarma) it should be called shawarma. However it was actually invented in turkey first, so it is an excellent reasoning to call it a doner kebab. My bad there, despite being quite familiar with the various incarnation of the dish, I was not aware that the original was from turkey.

argument 2 is kebab vs doner kebab. Which is two different dishes. Just like how "french fries" and "french" have two different meaning. Also, all the sources everyone has posted here so far said the turkish people call it either "doner kebap" or just "doner". None of the sources said the turkish call it just a "kebab".
    So an american calling it a kebab would be like a turkish person walking into a restaurant and asking for "a burger with a side of french" because they think you shorten french fries into french

12. 7aco

7aco Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And to clarify my side.
    I really don't understand it like that at all.

To me it was always assumed that "kebabs" meant "doner kebabs" and "fries" meant "french fries". (might be a regional thing).

On a random side note, google must be stalking me but this showed up in my suggested youtube thing :blobpeek:
    :blobangery: (these guys annoy me, I prefer the regular "worth it" guys)

13. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    google is stalking you. they also built a political profile to make sure to show you results which they believe you will like.

So for example if you search "trump on immigration" they will give you news reports either pro or con based on their profile estimation of which you prefer.

If they successfully profile you then it creates in people the illusion that the entire world agrees with their political views.

They also keep records of anywhere your android phone has been, associating it with specific stores and the like ("from 8:12 am to 8:23 on 2018-01-01 you stopped at a mcdonalds", etc). And claim their predictive algorithm has a... IIRC it was somewhere near 80% chance of predicting where you will go each day.
    The region being specifically turkey, where they don't mean the same thing.

14. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    The one with the most meat and cheese, hell you can even skip the tortilla/bread/veggies.

7aco likes this.
  15. 7aco

7aco Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    why not just skip everything else as well. :cookie:

16. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, ur right, we can skip the cheese.

17. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, just a pile of meat on a plate?

18. 7aco

7aco Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and the meat?
    who said anything about a plate?

19. noob_slayer

noob_slayer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still Taco, especially if it is spicy ..... YUM :p:p

20. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright... I can't take it anymore. this thread has been driving me up the wall.

I am going to find a doner place and get me some donners today! And burritos too!