Question How to get rid of the Wuxia Stuff?!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Greeny, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    For some definition of "properly". Translation is tough.

Though I'd say, the hard part of wuxia is a lot easier online? You can link to a picture or explanation that is easy to understand for almost everything in case the reader doesn't know what a meteor hammer looks like, why monkeys are so obsessed with peaches, or why are they suddenly besieging Wei and trying to rescue Zhao when no one's even brought up either city/state before in the novel.

Wujigege likes this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I was referring to the translations of Duke of Mount Deer, the translator butchered the names, did a summary rather than a translation and those who bought it felt cheated
    Calling a character Trinket, and other horrible names

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthr...ation-x-original-chinese-version#.Wne3QKinHIU

3. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds less like it couldn't have been done properly, and more like the translator scammed everyone involved.

AliceShiki and Wujigege like this.
  4. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp its way too hard for non professional translator to translate wuxia novel. Anyone remember TGS when tan MIA ? (Glad he is back)
    Wuxia novel uses many silky words and chinese idiom compared to web novel and its hard to translate withoit losing its context

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel that Female Protagonist novels are actually more difficult to translate than your average Xuanhuan/Xianxia.

6. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, there isn't as much translated. And yeah all of them are print novels, as far as I know. Song of Exile will be the newest addition.
    TGS is NOT wuxia. It's fictional history. Wuxia takes place in the jianghu, which is on the fringes of society, away from the imperial court. TGS is imperial courts warring with each other, the exact opposite. Sure there's some overlap at times. Again, it's a matter of tropes. Wuxia has certain tropes. Nothing against TGA at all; it's just not wuxia. I get your main point, but most wuxia also isn't all that complicated. All these web novels in this community have a lot of idioms as well.

Ugh, don't let that be your standard. What a travesty that was...

7. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    my bad i forgot. well most common mc from wuxia i read before either the mc is outcast or from country side though

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    lel just exclude xianxian+xuanhuan? then I think most action based current translated CN WN on NU will go puff~
    wuxia? hey beside old thing I only read 1~ or only remember dragon and snake I think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.