Kingdom Building/Grand Strategy Games

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by JJ, Feb 12, 2018.

1. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this like Anno? It looked like the Anno 1404 or the very first one IMO.

EDIT: I was thinking of Anno 1602. And yeah, after google searching, IT IS ANNO lol.

The only time I buy EA is when the price tag is low and the game had been EA for quite some time. I'm doing the wait-and-see approach.

2. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Some factions are more fun than others, I admit. Though the problem that you're having about being bored is likely because you can't understand its depth. It has often been said that Dominions have the learning curve of a wall. Once you've gotten past the learning curve, you'll find it quite enjoyable. My personal favourites are:

1) Mid Age Ermor - For undead spawn spamming that can give you thousands more soldiers than your enemies. Best of all, Ermor doesn't eat any supply whatsoever. So you can spread your dominion to soften up your enemies before you send the thousands of longdeads at them. They can't really fight you effectively as they need supplies, which you've reduced to zero. So they can only field small armies with supply-providing artifacts. Summon demons and titans too while you're at it.

2) Early Age Ulm - Early Age Ulm is the only civilization with steel and they are a crafter race from the very start. Unlike their later ages, Early Age Ulm has affinity to cold temperature, so you can harrass your enemies by setting your dominion to output Cold 2 and freeze your enemies that hate cold, such as Machaka. Get Lord of the Forge if you wish to win with artifacts, but there's not much need as all your magesmiths are capable of crafting superior artifacts. They're also strong, so they can rush neutrals from the very first turn. I stopped playing Ulm because back in Dominions 4, I play them all the time. Doesn't matter if it's early age, middle age or late age. I like them that much.

3) Early Age Rus - They're very strong people and compete very well with Ulm as they also favour cold climate. However, this is probably an advance race as they have undisciplined range units and they're not very good with technology. Their fortifications suck.

4) Middle Age Mictlan - If you want to go to battle wielding bloody banners and sacrificing virgin slaves to power your grand spells from the get go, this is the race to play. However, beware that their temples do not spread dominion. You have to perform blood sacrifice to spread dominion.

5) Any Age Abysia - If you want to play dragons or fiery demon-like beings, this is the race you want. They are very at home with hot dominion and you can harass your enemies by spreading your dominion to their lands. Eventually they will either have to build lots of temples to counter your dominion or declare war on you, which you will only be too happy to burn their wretched armies to ashes. Just like Ermor, you are not limited by your supplies level.

6) Middle Age Marignon - This is quite a fun race to play. If you like fielding paladins and angels, this is the race you want to play. They like fire. They like burning heretics, demons and undeads with fire. So if you are a self-righteous pyromancer, you want to play this race.

7) Middle Age Man - This is one of the simplest races to play. It is modeled after the Arthurian Legends. Good race if you want to learn to play the game. Good number of sacred units too.

8) Tien Chi - Tien Chi is a good race to play for long games. Basically, Tien Chi leaders has the opportunity to never die of old age due to two race-specific anti-aging spell. They can use simple magic to become younger, unlike other races who have to rely on higher tier blood magic to do the same.

It is unfortunate that blood slaves aren't so easy to come by, unless you're a Mictlan.

I tried to play Caelum but gave up. I have no idea how to make them strong.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    JJ likes this.
  3. Sedave

Sedave «Custom Title»

Reading List:
    Link
    Of all stronghold I'd say 2, crusader, and 3 are all good plot wise. Game play aren't that different it's just different unit(especially from legends considering they have dragons... And Crusaders with obviously cruaders and muslims...) and I prefer 2 because I prefer to make a map of my own and I think stronghold 2 have the best graphic it can be breathtaking, I also like making a story line too... And it's the only one I still have installed on my laptop... Haven't played 1 and crusader in years but yea I stop playing cuz the archers are just too OP. Legends... Well I still have it installed just not really interested...

Settlers is good too I love how we should mind the economy and building placing... There so much awesome little details too...

If you like settlers you'd also like banished... It's like settlers minus the war... And it challenge your brain about city planning... Especially when your villager have passed a certain threshold...

JJ likes this.
  4. Vycital88

Vycital88 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely Stronghold

JJ likes this.
  5. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    My advice is to avoid playing on too big maps at least to begin with, I'm always tempted to do so, but I generally have more fun with 3-5 players with 10-15 provinces per player (for singleplayer, I don't play multiplayer).

JJ likes this.
  6. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    Northgard is pretty much a finished game gameplay-wise, I think they're just adding content now.

JJ likes this.
  7. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    AoW3 is a nice game but I would argue that it never really surpassed it's predecessor Age of Wonders:Shadow Magic aside for better graphics.

JJ likes this.
  8. Klied

Klied Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try 0 A.D., It's free anyway.:rolleyes:

JJ likes this.
  9. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kingdoms and castles
    stonehearth

they have resource management and invasions. :aww:

JJ likes this.
  10. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think ill stick with playing small maps first. The other poster hit the mark -- i play the big maps instantly. But i do appreciate the playstyle recommendations.

Did you say dragons? I'm taking both then if i haventhe chance/time.

Noted. Thanks. I played the biggest map there is and i think thats one big factor of me not liking the game.

Another reason i avoid ea like a plague is their constant update spoil your previous save. Ill try it once after the ea stamp is removed. Thanks.

Noted. Ill try that.
    If i have the tine, thanks.
    Thanks but another ea. Ill stick to wait and see approach.

11. heroineAnita

heroineAnita New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, fellow gamers!

I am new in this forum but a big fan of mostly medieval strategy games. I’ve been searching for new friends to join me in this unique experience of the medieval atmosphere of a 3D-MassOnline-Strategy Game CaveToKingdom.

I say unique because I have been searching for various strategy games to try out and I stumbled across CaveToKingdom. At first, I was reticent to try it since it seems that it is still being developed and updated quite frequently, but I gave it a try nonetheless.

You start as a princess or prince, depending on your choice, and your purpose is to raise a new Kingdom from ashes. Pay attention to when you select your Kingdom's location as you cannot change it later on.

There are several missions that you can go through while playing which bring rewards: Place your Stockpile, Build your Lumbermill or just Cut your first tree and many more, which will guide and help you develop.

My first impact of the game was that it is slow to develop, but once you start understanding how it works, the time it takes to develop is something to be expected.

You can step up the development speed by charging your account but for me, for now, at least, I just enjoy playing at a slower pace.

The game is highly strategic, you need to pay attention when placing your buildings, the distance one has from the others or from the production site (the lumber mill, for example, needs to be close to the forest but also close to the stockpile). The distance between buildings influences the speed and efficiency at which your materials are transported and therefore the way to make more funds for the development of your Kingdom.

Once my kingdom is somewhat stable, I was thinking of working on my army, recruiting, and training soldiers in order to conquer others and receive taxes from them.

The atmosphere it brings impressed me with its uniqueness, as you can follow the builders and others as they do their job in real time. That is if you have the time. If not, you can just log in, give your orders and log off until the buildings are done. It does not consume in total more than 10 – 15 minutes per day.

The client is downloadable and it brings you to a 3D world placed in medieval times.

I wonder if there is someone else who had also tried the game, let me know how your experience was. Post your opinions in the comments section.

12. heroineAnita

heroineAnita New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, but after you mentioned it I went on Google to search for it. It really looks nice and caught my attention. I will surely try it! Thank you!

13. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Cities Skylines, Forge of Empires, Total War Kingdom Battles.

14. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Mount and Blade ?