How Not to Respond to a License Notice: Roxism HQ and Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sam Pinansky, Feb 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Because look at how many people read the thread. Free ad is free ad.

2. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to sell something just advertise it like @etvolare do. Don't makes EMO thread like this.

Truly to me this is like 5yrs old children will do. And just fucking DMCA and done. No need to make useless thread like this.

We know who is the owner of license and we don't need you to remind us.

3. Pietje1324

Pietje1324 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But, while MTL is something that can be laughed at at times, it is still questionable at best to attack one specific MTL processor. And the patreon rip-off, while I agree that the money pledged isn't worth the returns you get, it is a choice. Maybe they're pushing you to do so (and although that should at least have boundaries, it is an entirely different topic), but you choose to pledge/donate money. If you don't agree with them, don't support them. J-Novel has something to win by making Roxism stop, they chose to attack Roxism's reputation, as far as it has one, instead of handling it professionally. That isn't a practice that should be encouraged.

The fact that Roxism stopping their provision of MTL would probably increase the demand for their chapters, does make it at least look like J-Novel is doing this to make more money. Even if you take the negativity out of it. There is still the part where J-Novel compares prices and quality, so it seems like they consider Roxism competition at least on a high enough level to promote themselves over Roxism.

Wujigege, Sharudeis and prongsjiisan like this.
  4. Pietje1324

Pietje1324 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both are, for different reasons. The way this was posted is unprofessional and shames Roxism unnecessarily.
    The way Roxism responded to the notification that J-Novel has the license and that they should stop is flimsy and somewhat childish.

5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this thread really amusing on various way
    why make this thread?

promotion and awareness
    basically public relationship thing

still
    raccoon bread.jpg
    I wanna have laugh while smacking table emoji~

Rapacity, AliceShiki and Wujigege like this.
  6. flowingcloud

flowingcloud Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know I realized something while reading this thread. I should get some advertising out! Any advertisement is good advertisement!

@LysUltima -senpai teach me the art of being shameless.

Read novels on Yado Inn! One of our series, I Work As A Healer In Another World’s Labyrinth City, has just been fully translated! Please enjoy your chapters! Also, thanks for the free advertising I can do here.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Akashura, Rumby, AliceShiki and 7 others like this.
  7. Triton532

Triton532 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    100$ for 1 chapter? Lmfao.

I don't know if you guys know this but the WN is also protected by copyright and the author can send a DMCA.

JN shouldn't have made this thread they should've just send the DMCA and if they complain they could go public to shut them up.

Why are people paying to read something machine translated anyway?

Ai chan likes this.
  8. Bao

Bao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go read Emperor's Domination and Spirit Vessel.
    Hi Etvo.
    (Forgive me, mods)

Akashura, Xove, ihave3legs and 4 others like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    FARMING NUFFIES!

oh also
    sometime I really wanna laugh at how law work and debate how it work and how it should work

10. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Debating law is fun when you don't know any law after all

11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    if you know lil bit and use logic unless it specific case on specific country it is funny~

12. Hell_ping

Hell_ping Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I swear we're all idiots

Sushino, Akashura, AliceShiki and 3 others like this.
  13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the world full of idiot
    all people is crazy including you and me

14. HakoMari

HakoMari Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see people throw around the word public shaming, and you see, stuff like this should indeed be brought to people's attention. This is not about competition. There is no competition in fact. This is about a group of people MTL-ing stuff and selling it for big sums of money, and the fact that people are being ripped off.

The state of the fan-translation community is absolutely ridiculous. Roxism isn't the only one doing this. There are several other groups locking chapters, sometimes volumes behind a patreon paywall. I thought fan-translations were translations made by fans for fans. I wonder when it became about earning money from other fans. I can justify having a donation button on your website; people will donate if they think you do a good job, and money can be a good motivation. But directly making money off of the author's work by having patreon locked chapters, that is neither legal nor morally right. These guys are running a goddamn business there.

Wherever I go, I shit on YP's Danmachi and NGNL translation. Why shouldn't we talk about fan-translators doing shady stuff, when they have also started running a business at this point?

Sushino, Ars, TamaSaga and 2 others like this.
  15. HakoMari

HakoMari Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess this thread is partly getting in front of the situation. At least this way, they get free advertising from a multi-page thread.

Putting aside the ridiculous outrage, if JNC had just DMCA'd in darkness there's probably a chance that roxism would have come on NU and started a thread against JNC. Cue ridiculous super outrage.

JNC getting ahead of it and sparking lessened outrage is pretty smart as it gets their side out first and triggers the inevitable outrage from the 'fight the power' leechers before it can get bigger.

@Sam Pinansky power to you man for talking with the community instead of going the silent route like a lot of publishers.

Ars, AliceShiki, Jaspaaar and 4 others like this.
  17. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi Bao, can I be enlighten when (as in which chapters) Spirit Vessel story start grabbing attention..?

18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not $100 for 1 chapters. More like 30

I can't promote my novels. They are all Japanese.. crap! :sweating_profusely:

19. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    When chinese novels shows up aka Coiling dragon.

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree with that. Labor should never be free but that's a discussion for another day. I never called my group a fan translation group and never will. I run a business.
    I also blame readers, for being obsessed with the label of fan translator. All jumping on the bandwagon to criticize Yen Press and the likes when their beloved fan translators are probably charging more

Well that is just wrong. If he doesn't get any response then should file a complaint with either or both Patreon and his card company

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.