News Webnovel welcomes HJC~

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by GodBrandy, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, but I don't think this will be an issue :)

2. FortColors

FortColors Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "one of the best Tang Jia San Shao's novel" -> "one of Tang Jia San Shao's best novels"
    "pervious" -> "previous"
    "we decide" -> "we decided"
    "since the HJC's chapters" -> "since HJC's chapters"
    "series." -> "series'."
    "if" -> "If"
    "stories" -> "chapters"

"but still being super unstable for daily updating" -> "but still being super inconsistent with daily updates"
    "to take it over, and keep it going well" -> "to take over and keep it going"

Please try again when you can actually translate to English. I'm not asking for good English, just English.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Devshard

Devshard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well done, Fort. Caught all the major errors.

I think you can do a better job of editing the language though. Perhaps help poor Qidian understand how to make a more professional announcement.

4. gauthamc

gauthamc [Dao of the Lonely Island]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof that roast stings when it's to a translation site.

Shield Loyalist and readerz like this.
  5. FortColors

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I think I missed an entire bad sentence:
    "As many of you may know that the previous translator was inactive over a while." -> "As many of you may know, the previous translator was inactive for a while."

Moving on to more minor things, I would also make the next sentence into "Even after he returned, his release rate remained unstable."

I would probably change the following paragraph to this:
    "To prevent such a great novel from being ruined by slow and unstable updates, we decided to arrange for a new translation team to take over. The new team is one of the most diligent on our site: EndlessFantasy Translation."

Using something like "14 chs a week" seems out of place in a formal announcement post, so I would opt instead to write the full word "chapters". Admittedly their announcement was anything but formal.

What's your take on their post? Anyone else have thoughts about it?

Dyne, Shield Loyalist and Devshard like this.
  6. Devshard

Reading List:
    Link
    I would argue that using both <slow> and <unstable> is redundant in this context. The <unstable> by itself implies slow. If we're talking about connotation and impact, then <unstable> carries a much greater emphasis. Slow releases are not really a problem. If a translator wants to spend more time on every chapter to ensure a great quality standard and really bring out the essence of the work in their translation, that's a good thing. Not a bad one.

An unstable release rate is much more problematic. So I think that they completely derailed the impact of their thesis, the crux of their argument, by creating a redundancy that casts doubt on the reasoning. Perhaps the release rate is unstable now because the original translator wanted to make sure that sections of a narrative arc were perfect and that chapters chained together well, instead of just releasing chapter by chapter and making adjustments later on. That would be a good thing and would place Qidian in the position where the translator that they're trying to besmirch was really trying to maintain the true value of their property, and they decided to undercut that by getting someone that isn't as careful involved.

Westeller likes this.
  7. FortColors

Reading List:
    Link
    That makes sense. However, given their website's (and their company's) reputation, I imagine their only selling point is consistently speedy releases. With such a narrow selling point, I don't think overall quality and true value would matter to them. They just need to get across one point in their announcement, which is their only point: "We release faster and more consistently."

That makes Wuxiaworld's response even more interesting. If QI sticks to a release rate of 2 per day, they will actually be slower than Wuxiaworld. That takes away QI's only advantage and gives it to Wuxiaworld. But if they decide to release more than 2/day, that would be a breach of their regular pattern. Such an inconsistency would be creating instability of their own, because if Wuxiaworld stops their sudden push, QI will just go back to 2/day.

Westeller likes this.
  8. Devshard

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a really interesting point that you bring up. I'm not sure when this trend started up, but somewhere along the way we lost ourselves. We stopped taking pride in the quality of the translations and started focusing on just getting out as much content as possible in the shortest amount of time. Release speed has turned into the e-peen of the translation scene.

Let's be real. There is a point where more does infact end up becoming less. There is a fine line between pleasure and pain. When the experience of reading a chapter goes from being a pleasurable experience at set intervals to a jackhammer of pain, we've done a disservice to the story and the author that spent time crafting it. Let's be real here, no one wants to deal with a 14-incher in the face.

Dydreamr, Nino Sasou, Jeebus and 2 others like this.
  9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many Chinese web novel authors release one or more chapters each day. I can understand about a dozen simplified Chinese characters, so I have no idea about this, but it does make me wonder what the source material looks like. Maybe the poor translations simply reflect the care and quality of the original work.

10. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    If I had to explain it in a vulgar fashion.

WW can be an Exotic establishment, employing exotic entertainers who know their craft, treating their customers with great service.
    Everyone has their favorite entertainer, but life just happens. Can't always get your favorite, but hey WW has excellent entertainers that sometimes fill in for your favorite.

now you have QI, the Quickie get Richie building themselves directly in front of WW & other establishments

They establish their Exotic business, appeal to the crowd and advertise, advertise, advertise. Claiming the best and better than the rest.
    Trying to entice and catch any passerby to enter their establishment. They employ some top and well known exotic entertainers, but because they also need to make money, they get average and sometimes questionable workers.

Their business model is "quickie get richie" and you begin to see them try to drain their customers with at most sub-par service.

But you know what, who am I to judge where people want to frequent.

My emphasis is on quality. so I'd rather spend my hour getting great service, than just 5 minutes for less from another party.

11. FortColors

Reading List:
    Link
    In some cases, they do. However, there is never an excuse for a translator to use poor English. For example, sentence fragments and run-on sentences are not on the original Chinese author. Chinese as a language doesn't really have the concept of run-on sentences, so it's up to the translator to split paragraphs into sentences. If a translator keeps the original 'sentence' structure and leaves it as a run-on, then that's not a reflection of the original quality. That's a sign of poor translation because you're not accounting for the differences between languages-but that's the whole point of your job!

12. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe the word should be "inconsistent" not "unstable."

13. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I regularly advocate for better editing and overall quality. I'm just trying to find some justification for why QI would intentionally release a subpar product. Release speed at the expense of quality doesn't seem like the best sustainable solution. Those works will be the official translation for years to come.

Edit:
    In cases like this, where there's competition between two translators, I can see release speed as being a selling point. In most other cases, though, QI has a monopoly on the work. They could take their time and release a quality product if they saw fit.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Westeller likes this.
  14. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Occam's Razor. The simplest answer is usually the best one. I'll leave it to you to decide what that is.

15. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just hope the razor doesn't cut them to shreds in a few years when they try to market their shoddy work to a wider audience. Or maybe I do. We're all due some schadenfreude on QI's behalf after all of this.

Kokuyasou, kuu0haku and Westeller like this.
  16. cnex

cnex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So after qidian posted the 50 chapters to get tracked, does NU only show the chapter which was posted first? So if WW posts 724 before qidian does only the post from WW will be shown right?

17. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The get posted to the list in order of the date they were added. No overwriting.

Westeller likes this.
  18. cnex

cnex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? I know it used to be like that but if I remember correctly with gravitytales and qidian only the chapter that came out first was posted.

19. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is dual hosting they aren't doing separate translations.

WW and Qi are doing separate translations.

Westeller likes this.
  20. cnex

cnex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, thanks

Westeller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.