Art Novel Cover Art

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by ZuluA, May 20, 2018.

1. ZuluA

ZuluA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. Sami11

Sami11 [Level 99 Duck]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's only a one time thing. 150$ shouldn't be that much hard for a person aspiring to become a writer to obtain.
    Also, I really like the art in this one.

Deleted member 41274 and ZuluA like this.
  3. yotae

yotae Drunkard Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm interested by your story now good hidden ads :blobokhand:

4. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah while we all learned the expression "never judge a book by its cover" everyone still does. So paying someone to create your cover art is a good investment, provided you're serious about the book and actually have good content. I am curious though how in depth was the process, I mean you spent $150 on it. Did you work together with the author, go over multiple drafts before you came up with something you liked, was that the original version, or did you make changes to more fit with the vision of your characters?

Deleted member 41274 and ZuluA like this.
  5. ZuluA

ZuluA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am the author actually xD, Yeah I worked with the artist together to get to this point. I gave her the brief and we revised any issues which cropped up!

6. ZuluA

ZuluA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's exactly what I was thinking! My family looked at me like a lunatic when I told them tho lol

7. Sethnix

Sethnix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I'm not a fan of the Font for the Title, but I guess that's up to you to like or dislike

What kinda bothers me, is that the right hand of the Guy (?) looks kinda big and that the left Hand looks, like it has a finger too much :/

apricotsoda likes this.
  8. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can't create your own or can't be satisfied with your own, then the only choice is asking someone to do it for you.
    Never ask other to create a cover art for me, so not know how much it's worth. But since this is good art, then I guess money well spent. But whether your novel is worth for the amount of money you spent for your art or not is entirely up to you, I at least won't be reading your novel, so I don't know how to judge it.

ZuluA likes this.
  9. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    It is an investment you should make if you are serious on a novel, especially considering you're on a platform like webnovel that may bring in many readers.

So, *thumbs up*.

Personally, I may have gone more animation for $150. It would likely look a bit cleaner?

High end book covers that are very neat and detailed would cost more. So, it's more of a balance of quality you are trying to reach.

The right hand does look a bit big.

As for the Font, I hope she layered the art in Photoshop.

I think you may want to change the style and placement. Doesn't look much of a book cover, but a wallpaper with some text on it.

If she didn't, then that means the font is on the artwork itself, and so, you're stuck with it. But it is what it is. The artwork is better than nothing or a bad photoshop.

Tsukkin likes this.
  10. ZuluA

ZuluA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    0-0 didn't even notice that until you pointed it out! It's a bit late now but I hope nobody notices it!

11. ZuluA

ZuluA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you think it's worth asking the artist to do a few tweaks? Feels kinda shameless but.......

12. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not actually that big of an issue. I think what's making the left hand weird is just the thumb being less like a thumb(more index finger). I didn't notice either until it was pointed out. Either way, it's good for how it is now especially since it's a web novel so people aren't going to be studying the cover art in detail nor are they seeing the image in full size on the site. Besides, if you ever get it published, you'd still have time for edits or new cover ideas.

ZuluA likes this.
  13. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    For $150, I'd be suprised if they did given the amount of work they have done already.

My suggestion would be to request the full photoshop file or file of whatever method they used. That way, you can at least fix up the font yourself or from someone you are close with.

It's always good to have that personal touch anyways.

ZuluA likes this.
  14. Hakuru

Hakuru 《 ᶠᵘᶜᵏⁱⁿᵍ ᵍᵃʸ 》

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, I think it’s great that you are so invested in your project to go as far as to ask an artist to help you create a cover!
    I know some people who make great stories but are too lazy to invest in covers, ripping off some artworks online. Shame on them but whatever.

As a reader myself, I believe that it’s the cover that first attracts a person. So in this area it’s a good investment.

For a one time $150 it’s actually not bad, I’ve know some that can go up to 1k.... talk about broke.... but that’s if you are planning on getting back that $150 from the book you are currently writing, otherwise it may have been better to invest on something a little cheaper. The work is good and all, but I have always believed that a little profit would be nice.

Overall, if you do plan on diligently writing and completing your novel it’s a pretty good investment, if you earn some money from your writing, even better. But if you stop half way it would be quite a waste.

Just my take on this,and your book seems interesting enough!! :D

J-Mitch and ZuluA like this.
  15. ZuluA

ZuluA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I contacted 2 artists when I was looking for help with this. The other one wanted $800!! That's like a month's wages for me so I went with the other guy

16. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    Oops meant to say artist not author, I was about to head out the door when I was writing it, so I didn't have time to edit my post.

Could you give a link for the other artists profile page? I kind of want to compare his artwork to the one you chose, see if he is really worth the extra $650. I mean you already got some A quality material, so this guy must be A+++ or something.

17. ZuluA

ZuluA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here: https://chaosringen.deviantart.com
    In my opinion, they are worth the extra $650, it's just I cant afford that!

18. Goblin Sleuth

Reading List:
    Link
    That is bloody amazing, what you went with is also good, I think it is more of the styles being different than the quality being different. Like with your current cover it sort of looks like a painting, slightly rough where you can imagine where the stokes went. The other one is softer though, and has finer details, almost reminds me of Calm (mature artist) albeit less realistic.

ZuluA likes this.
  19. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    ah i love shizen's work and follow them on DA; this is absolutely stunning!!!
    I also love chaosringen's work too ♥♥

And most likely I'd just make my own cover if I end up needing one. I already draw my characters for my stories so sort of don't need an artist to draw them. But since I'm not confident in writing my stories go nowhere LOL.

ZuluA likes this.
  20. ZuluA

ZuluA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have your stories anywhere online?