Asking for Tips. (novice author)

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by janoi, May 22, 2018.

1. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, are you sure you're fine with posting your work on inkstone? You're basically giving them rights to your novel. I hope you're getting paid.

2. Chaku

Chaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn sadistic authors digging holes in peoples hearts only to have them collapse... leaving the reader buried forever never finding a way out!

3. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey man, my advice for novice writers is just keep writing. Now you don't have to finish the novel you are currently writing, but shape it to what you would like happen. That's probably the most important thing besides grammar and spelling.

Your first novel, and maybe 10th novel, wouldn't be good at all. But if you like what you write, writing more will help you tune in your strengths and eliminate points of weaknesses. Having more experience can help you make decisions whether to rehash plot points that worked before and delete ones that failed.

4. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. a bit of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. It's hard to explain without spoiled the key point. if you interested then be my guest.

In my setting. The MC is a 'God' tasked to look after and protect the 'world' that he was assigned to. He is cursed by the 'creator' to take care and protect the planet which in this case is the planet's spirit, Nazanin. I already state this point in chapter 3 and 4

Here's the thing. What he did from the 3rd chapter onward will affect both Nazanin and the planet inhabitant.
    Like our earth, the people born are product of Nazanin but they have personality and greeds so in a series of consequence. They will in turn damage Nazanin. Which will go against the MC main purposed but MC is one of the many main factor that lead to that point during his role as god. And he won't be the sole god of that world so MC will have conflict of opinions with other gods too.

It's already clear since the 1st chapter that there are many gods and worlds. Each gods have their own ego and personality. Of course, some will have disagreement with the will of the 'creator' and try to go against. They will also pull the MC into their business which lead to the second main conflict.

So the MC will have conflict with his own creation, his 'curse' from the 'creator' against his will, conflict with other god, as well as other gods who disagree with 'creator'

5. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait what? Should I take it down? I read at some advise saying there is no reason to not post as many place as possible and I read many story at that site so I use it without thinking.

RabiezMonkey likes this.
  6. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Well then I think you should read their Terms of Service.

7. 31russ

31russ readitt.com

Reading List:
    Link
    if you just need feedback, then try reddit (r/write r/writers/ r/keepwriting) just search by keywords and it will show you a list of some subreddits. Just check not in all, but in some you can make a post asking for feedback. Some people would be more than happy to give it to you, but don't expect much.

Princess Renesmee and janoi like this.
  8. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    magical formulae to get peoples interest.
    1st- stockpilre a shitload of chapters. I mean atleast50 chapters and then release them on regular intervals of 2-3hours.
    Thats it. Many people dont like to read stories with less than 10 chapters, others dont look at stories with bad reviews.
    The comments will come. It depends on how much reputation you garner. Also releasing a butt load of chapters in a short span will help you get on the first page of most popular and trending section. Which will once again increase your viewers.
    Also, don't worry too much about what the readers want to read. You should be writing closely following the plot that you wrote and try not to leave too many plot holes behind, becasue the readers can sniff them out.
    And if you don't have a simple plot line written yet, then I think you should stop writing the story for now.

9. kylokram25

kylokram25 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Write a whole novel first.

10. Drust

Drust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spillchickers ar r ur frend.

Deleted member 79325 and janoi like this.
  11. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I'll stop upload there. The term seem a bit confused so I think I'll get off the platform. Thanks you. you save me future headache

12. Arkanth

Arkanth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read it too, it seems you retain Copyright for it, but by publishing it, you are giving them and any other user of the platform rights to do with it whatever they want xD

It might be best to post on WWforum instead.

13. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem. I'm glad I could help. I think the biggest problem with uploading original content there is clause 6.2.

Princess Renesmee likes this.
  14. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea. that's the one I feel not so safe from.

15. Princess Renesmee

Princess Renesmee Cry baby

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep writing :cookie: Sorry.. I have no constructive criticism for you. Just keep writing. Many people will pay attention to your novel if it has an interesting story with solid foundation and a stable release. But more chapters don't necessarily attract more readers. I think it depends more on the quality of your writing :blobokhand:

janoi likes this.
  16. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, for original work the only way for people to comment is to make something that they could comment. Of course, if you write something really original the number of comments at the start could be higher compared to your generic fiction.

By my experience with current fanfic, the small chapters (1200-1500 words) could generate comments every 8-10 chapters because readers would get an idea what's going on.

17. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tip 1: Just write
    Tip 2: Sit down, discipline yourself to write x number of words a day
    Tip 3: Spend a little time thinking about the rough goals of your story from beginning to end

18. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, except for that "right" word in "right and license", everything else looks pretty normal to me.

I don't know what "granting a right" means because I'm not a lawyer (and from my limited understanding, "granting a license" is essentially "granting rights"), but at least it doesn't say "transfer" nor does it say the grants are permanent or irrevocable, so whether that has a special meaning or not, it probably can be revoked.

I don't know how the rest of the ToS go (I don't want to touch CN websites with a pole), so there may be some white text over white background that changes the whole thing, but without any more context I'd say that exact clause seems pretty inoffensive and is very common in web services. People pretty much gave NUF the same permissions, except that NUF could hypothetically do more damage because NUF asks for permanent and irrevocable permissions (again, I'm speaking only about that one clause without more context).

Of course there's also the trust issues, but that's a completely different monster.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

19. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I went and read some more. I don't really find anything about original creation yet but I found some fishy conspiracy involve qidian and translator a few times so I think it's in my best interest to just leave before the problem arise. Thank you for the help

20. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    All your content that you upload onto the site counts as user content. That's the term that they're using.

noisypixy likes this.