Oneshot A Detective, a Thief, and yuri

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by ChickenBakuba, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ChickenBakuba

ChickenBakuba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Detective Jane Morris spun around in her swivel chair, listlessly watching the bright fluorescent lights above her.

She didn’t know why she felt this way. She had successfully sleuthed down the thief’s next target before they struck and managed to chase them down. She had even received a rare pat on the back from her stoney-faced superior and had cemented her position as a detective. She would probably be the buzz of the department for days. All in a good day's work.

But she had this inexplicable feeling that she had done something wrong. Her thoughts shifted to the source of her perplexities: Isabella Brown.

A persistent thorn in the side of the Brooklyn Police Bureau. She was a thief and pickpocket that stalked the streets of Brooklyn, targeting unsuspecting pedestrians and wealthy homes that caught her eye—altogether, she could be likened to a petty crook. But it was her methods and patterns that set her apart from the typical burglar.

She never appeared on CCTV security cameras when they pulled up footage, and she did not come up in any records. She seemed to know the blind spots of any security cameras inside out, and only struck when her targets were off camera.

She never left any discernible traces whether it was entering or leaving. Oftentimes, her victims only realised they had been burgled days - or even weeks - after the crime had been committed. Her methods for breaking and entering were largely unknown, although she seemed to bypass advanced house security with ease.

She had been a huge source of embarrassment to the Criminal Investigation Department, who were unable to get any leads on her, a simple crook. She was always one step, two steps, ahead of them, evading all capture effortlessly. It felt like she was thumbing her nose at their efforts.

Her age, height and description had all been unknown. In fact, they had only just discovered today, with alarming surprise, her gender. Her cases had been passed from detective to detective with no luck. She had eventually been dubbed as the 'invisible thief' for how she left little to no traces in her wake.

Until Jane came along. A perky, new detective on the job, who had evidently read one too many detective books and had confused fiction with reality. She had begged her senior for the case tirelessly, confident that she could do better. It was only on the 56th time that her senior, David, relented.

In a fit of pure exasperation, he had chucked the files at her, thinking of it as a good lesson for a newcomer.

And against all expectations, she did do it. Jane spent days stringing up the various locations that the thief had hit like a murder case and managed to find her next target before they struck. Her senior, doubtful, only agreed to put together a team of policemen after much persuasion.

"Look! She mainly targets the houses around the suburbs. I'll bet my money that it's on these parts. It's my hunch. If we narrow it down even further-"

"Girl, I'm not going to risk my ass just because of some hunch. I'm already on my boss's bad side. He'll tear me a new one if I go along with your buffoonery."

"But-"

"Enough, detective." He cut her off calmly.

"...does Mary know that you've been seeing Eliana?"

"I—what?"

"I wonder what she would say. What a horrible person, playing with the hearts of two maidens~" Jane hugged herself girlishly.

'We're just friends! It's strictly platonic—"

"Two co-workers in the office working late every night. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Other than a few—cough—adult trysts and some broken hearts."

"You little—argh!—fine, you win. Get ready in 10, we'll move out soon."

"Senior, you're the best!"

"Get off!"

Jane giggled as she remembered her gruffly senior. She made a mental note to buy David lunch for the next few days as thanks.

But her happiness was soon tempered as her thoughts tumbled back to Isabella Brown. A frown replaced her lively smile. She disliked that girl. That girl was infuriating, thieving, crafting; that conniving person with the perpetual smirk on her face—the type Jane hated most. Isabella was the type of person to push her buttons just by existing. Her head began to pound whenever she thought about their conversation in the interrogation room. Jane massaged her temples.

"Brat, even if you managed to solve a difficult first case, you shouldn't be taking it easy," David knocked her on the head crossly.

"Senior, what is justice?" Jane let loose a sigh, completely ignoring David.

"Justice?" David rubbed his prickly stubble. "Why the weird question? What do you mean?"

"Like...if a person does something bad because they're forced to, is it still justice if we put them behind bars?"

"It depends," David mused, his expression thoughtful. "Everyone's a victim of circumstance, some more than others. There's really no way to give justice a proper definition, or properly determine the amount of good in someone to give him or her an impartial sentence.

"A man resorts to loan-sharking to provide for his sickly daughter. Should he be given a lighter sentence for fraud, even in light of the families that he has ruined through his actions? Or take, say, a bullied boy who finally has enough one day and stabs his bully to death. How severely should the bullied boy be judged for first-degree premeditated murder? In the end, it's too complicated. In this line of work, most just follow their gut."

"...senior, you're unexpectedly deep."

"...get out," David's scowled, "why would you even ask anyway?"

She buried her head on the table. "I don't know. It's just the girl we took into custody. I mean, it just seems wrong."

David sighed. "I can take over from here. You go take a break. You're still new, after all."

"No, I need to see this case through." Jane sat back up, glaring at the files on her table with newfound determination.

David watched her in silence for a while. He left a mug of coffee by her desk and left.

"Ugh, bitter." Jane sipped.

~

Jane entered the interrogation room for the second time that day, eyeing the brunette sitting across her warily. Somehow, it felt like their roles had been reversed.

Isabella grinned at Jane. "Hello again, detective. Looking as beautiful as ever, I see."

Deep breaths, deep breaths, she's five years younger than you. Don't let her get the better over you.

"Hi," Jane said, flatly ignoring Isabella. “Have you thought over whether you want to confess?"

"Confess? You mean plead guilty?" Isabella cocked her head, blinking innocently, "Why would I confess for something I didn't do?"

Jane fought against the urge to throttle her. "There's plenty of circumstantial evidence to suggest you robbed the house. Even if you didn't, you are, at the minimum, liable for charges on grounds of trespassing."

"I saw a painting through the window of the mansion and thought I'd get a better look at it."

"The private estate was heavily fenced and the closest windows were at least several meters away from the sidewalk," Jane rubbed her hands all over her face, "if you confess now, we can still work this out. I promise I'll do my best to get you through this and—"

Jane halted in midspeech when Isabella suddenly leaned forward before she could react, close enough that their noses were almost touching.

"And? And what?" Her green orbs stared seriously into Jane's dark pupils. "I'll get a lighter sentence? Don't try to play the good cop card now, you guys sure as hell didn't help for shit when I needed it."

“Say I am the 'invisible thief'. I plead guilty, I'd be sentenced for more than just a few offences," Just as sudden as she had leaned forward, Isabella seemed to revert back to her usual self, a smile playing on her lips as she leaned back on her chair idly, "I think I'd rather walk out of here with just a minor offence. Provided I am the thief, of course."

Jane had a strong sense of justice. She brought in muggers and drunks, helped those in need, and felt indignance when she saw injustice. She rarely questioned her conscience when she brought in someone. But for all of Isabella's enervating attitude, she knew the girl in front of her deserved better.

"Walk out of here, and turn back to your life of petty crime?" Jane challenged.

"Suggest a better alternative." Isabella narrowed her eyes. The temperature in the room seemed to freeze over. "You think surviving in this godforsaken city is easy for people like me?”

She had finally made Isabella drop that smug front of hers.

"I know what you went throu-"

"Don't act like you know anything about my past." Isabella hissed. "I don't want to hear that. Especially not from a cop's mouth."

"'Isabella Brown, born and raised in Queens. Her father was an alcoholic and her mother a druggie. She was routinely beaten by her father every night when he got drunk while her mother was constantly in and out of jail'."

"Shut up."

"She attempted to get help from the authorities (local police) on several occasions, but was dismissed by them due to their laxity. She eventually ran away from home and escaped to Brooklyn at the age of 15. Her—"

"Shut up!" Isabella swung at Jane, but Jane easily caught her fist, and pulled her into a tight hug.

Isabella flinched. Her first intimate contact in years.

“Of course, I can’t say that I fully understand what you’ve been through. But I want—I want to help you.”

“So what’s your brilliant idea?” Isabella struggled, but paused when she realised the front of her coat was wet with tears. They weren’t hers.

“Confess.”

“Hah!” Isabella writhed in Jane’s iron grip, struggling to remove herself vainly. “Fines, jail, financial reparations, and a mark on my record. I’d rather be a hooker in the red light district.”

“You’re still a minor, even if only barely. The court will be lenient, and you won’t go to jail for a few minor cases of burglary or pickpocketing. I’ll put in a good word for you,” Jane insisted.

“I don’t care—“ A slight wavering in Isabella’s flailing. Jane did not fail to catch that. She pushed on.

“Sleeping outside in chilly weather, worrying about the police and searching for your next target—no more of those. You can be a productive member of society. If you choose to walk out now, you’ll never have the same chance again when your next birthday passes.”

“The fines.”

“I’ll pay.”

“I don’t have a place to crash.”

“You can use mine.”

“I’ll still have to go to a youth facility. Juvenile detention. I hate those places.”

“I’ll bail you out.”

“How can I trust you?”

Jane held out a set of keys and pushed it into her hands.

“Down by 5th street, the laneway house at the leftmost corner.”

Isabella’s eyes widened. “You do know I’m a thief, right?”

“Positively certain, yes.”

“What if I make a run after...?”

“I trust you.” Jane simply shrugged.

“We’ve known each other for a few hours.”

“It’s the hunch of a detective. Don’t argue. Won’t you come with me?” Jane held out a hand.
    ~

“You spent hours in that room, detective. Any longer and I would’ve been sure the girl had pulled something on you.” Officer David called out to her as Jane passed his desk.

“What’s with that big, stupid grin on your face?” David added, peering suspicious over his hot mug of coffee.

“I talked her into confessing.” Jane giggled.

David raised both his bushy eyebrows. “Impre-not bad, detective. Not bad. All’s left is the judgment of the court, I see.”

~

Jane killed her Honda’s engine and got out of the car. Making her way towards the porch of her laneway house, she paused as she realised her front door was unlocked.

She blinked. Pushing open the door of her house, she entered.

The house was too silent. An increasing sense of disquiet filled her.

She wouldn’t possibly...would she?

Bursting into a quick jog, she darted to the living room.

Her macbook was gone. Her beloved pride of the house: the 55-inch plasma television she had splurged on was nowhere to be found. Wait, how the hell had she even moved it? Bloody hell, even her cutlery?! Her kitchen knives! That thieving little—!

Jane ran around the house. Her prized possessions were all gone. Stolen from their places. Replaced with thin air.

Wait, her necklace. That kleptomaniac better not have touched it!

Turning a corner, she appeared at her bedroom’s doorway, only to see—

Isabella curled up snuggly on her comfortable bed, lazily browsing through her macbook. Her prized 55-inch television sat in front of the bedroom, turned on to some movie. A set of cutlery and knives, along with an assortment of all her valuables lay around Isabella.

“...”

“Hi!” Isabella waved at Jane merrily.

“...Isabella Brown. Why in pete’s name are you in my bed, using my laptop, watching my television with my pots, cutlery and whatnot surrounding you?”

“Oh, I thought it’d be fun to see your reaction.” Isabella grinned, sliding her gaze over Jane. “Well, you sure didn’t disappoint.”

Jane looked down at herself. Flustered, sweating, with her sneakers still on. She flushed. “I swear to god, you are so dead.”

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. ChickenBakuba

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgot to add this, Isabella’s 18 and Jane is 23

Yandere Devil likes this.
  3. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    That doesn't add up, right? Jane said she's three years older than Isabella, and if Isabella is still considered a minor, she should be under the age of eighteen.

4. ChickenBakuba

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh. Jane’s 21 then, and Isabella 18. 18’s still legally considered a minor by the court, although parental responsibilities are no longer there

Edit: I’ll change it, Jane’s 23. 21 is way too young

Moonpearl likes this.
  5. unkonwn0

unkonwn0 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice story! :) I want to keep reading but it ended. :(

6. Yandere Devil

Yandere Devil QUEEN OF YURI- Love GL

Reading List:
    Link
    Good story, craving for more yuri story

7. Melina Red

Melina Red Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good story. I am so sad that it end. Thank you so much for this yuri story

8. ChickenBakuba

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad you enjoyed it ^^

Melina Red likes this.
  9. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to break your mood but I didn't really enjoy it. Also I think it's more shoujo ai then yuri. I give it the harsh note of 2/10. Maybe if there was more romance or more scenes, the story would change totally for the better.

10. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    D: I'm sorry! This piece was edited after the deadline, so I'll have to disqualify it now...