LCD The Records of the Human Emperor

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by gaianova, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh - very glad to see another chapter. : D
    Now if Zhanxian, I Am The Monarch, and Pivot Of The Sky could get started, too, I'd finally have a full reading list again.

The lack of romance does surprise me, given that the number of flags that the MC is planting is just as unreasonable as most harem novels. Of course, we have the give-away of the title, so we already know he's going to have to run a harem that - given the political nature of the work - will probably be filled with women who want him dead. : ) That 'feature' alone should lead to a more interesting harem situation than most.

2. AeonicI

AeonicI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry to say but it was updated in June 20 with no chapters till now. I think he’s still on hiatus-_-

I question why he doesn’t drop it.

3. FHandsome

FHandsome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because GT already had the license of the novel, except the TL dropped it and then another GT TL pick it up again.

Tbh Starve translation is one of the best in GT, too bad he is too busy with antoher novel he translated in QI

4. AeonicI

AeonicI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GT is already 90% owned by QI if I remember correctly. 17k is a different publisher... That’s what makes me wonder if they really have the license for it.

5. FHandsome

Reading List:
    Link
    Most novel in GT already been licensed i think, so it doesn't matter if it 17K or Munpia. CMIIW

6. CodeZero

CodeZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GT is owned by Tencent, who also happens to own Q, with QI being a subsidiary of Q. QI doesn't own GT, lol.

As for 17k, I would imagine it's possible for them to have the license, cause I mean, if they wanted to go official, they likely would have removed any non-licensed works like what happened with the Korean Munpia novels.

7. Wildzhen

Wildzhen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with everything you said. Now that we have that cleared can they tell us if there is a hiatus or if TL just dropped because last time I checked it was supposed to be a month hiatus but now...
    I am for TL takin the time they need but dropping a word to give a status update should not be that hard imo.

8. shuiko

shuiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What sucks its Human Emperor is probably my top 3 stories right now, but because its 17k is ont he back burner since TLs have more commitments to current QI novels.

To be honest I hope they just hire someone else to TL it, or do one of those 2 person team TL's, it honestly deserves better =/

Starve is great and all, but it sort of sucks for fans.

Haiku575 and justmehere like this.
  9. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, been wondering about that....

You can not eliminate racism just from one side. Take this novel as an example... Mc disrupt the hu progress because they are going to cause problems in the end. Although the Hans were giving them general status, the hu are not giving the Hans under them the same opportunities.

I'm not trying to incite anything here, but in the end most novels need their antagonist, like Hollywood movies either vs arabs, russians.. Etc.. It's lazy writing imo...

Arsolin likes this.
  10. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, THE is one of my favorites just for this complexity - while it has racist overtones, it also presents both the cause and consequence, rather than simply going for an empty nationalistic bombast. Internally, it's the han's refusal to see the hu as genuine citizens, regardless of their contributions or loyalty, that directly results in the hu causing trouble for the han empire. Externally, the korean, japanese, tibetian, and persian characters are all hostile to varying degrees because of previous wars and historical enmity. While they are doomed to lose, of course, they are treated as serious, badass opponents, not inferior mooks that crumble before the self-evident chinese han ubermensch superiority. : )
    I liked how the novel even acknowledged that the han created the situation when it discussed how some no-name, useless han functionary used his bloodline - not his skills - to mock the significantly superior cultural and educational attainments of a hu scholar, deriding him for trying to be 'as cultured as the han' or some such, and caused him to utterly abandon his skillful scholarly pursuits and become an even more terrifying general.

I'd be thrilled if THE actually addressed integration of hu and han, but that'd get it banned so fast the electrons would get whiplash. : ) Even without it, and with the rest of the issues, THE still isn't much of a racist novel - as you said, this is much more an antagonistic plot device, not a racial superiority one.

ICe, CodeZero, Arsolin and 1 other person like this.
  11. shuiko

shuiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    god starve is pushing his drugs out to us again. /scratch

12. FHandsome

Reading List:
    Link
    So what position King Qi and King Song in government and royalty? Because I still confused about them

13. CodeZero

Reading List:
    Link
    In terms of royalty, the novel hasn't really made it all too clear. The title of 'King' to me makes it seem as though they're in the same generation as the Sage Emperor (maybe as brothers or cousins) - someone who isn't in line to the throne. Contrast to this, are the various princes, who are presumably the Sage Emperor's children, and so are competing with one another to be on the throne. It might also be possible that the Kings are the Sage Emperor's nephews? But again, the novel hasn't really clarified their relationship with the Emperor.

In terms of their positions in government, it was stated previously that King Song was in charge of the military affairs (in terms of the logistics and supplies and what not), and then the whole Consort Taizen affair resulted in his removal from office, but from what I can remember, afterwards he was given a similar position after things were settled. I would assume King Qi also has a similar kind of position. One of real authority, but isn't at the top. It's just that their position combined with their royal bloodline makes them more important than most other people.

14. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Been a while since I read this, but wasn't the MC forced to become the grand marshal of the human race because they were losing so badly to aliens in his previous lifetime?

So I'd guess that after the MC defeats/conquers all these hostile human empires in this lifetime, the aliens are going to show up and push the whole human race to the brink of destruction with some blitz attacks, forcing everyone to work together and defeat them.

15. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Drawing from the title itself, that sounds about right.

16. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be very nice. I'd initially interpreted it as the invaders were some variant alter-history of Alexander the Great's armies, since the Han Dynasty that's referenced in THE is virtually contemporaneous with Alexander. In reality, things fell apart for Alexander after conquering Persia and most of India, where things petered out as his soldiers wanted to give up from homesickness. An alternate history where his armies continued into Han China seemed more logical than 'flying saucer aliens', though I admit it also fed many of my initial reservations about the potential for racism of the book as well. : )

So yeah, at first I'd guessed the title meant that only Chinese were Humans. I'd prefer to be wrong, but I suspect I'm not. ; P

EDIT: After later (re)reading, I suspect that the time period was during the TANG (500 AD) empire, not the Han empire (200 BCE), so my entire supposition may be garbage. : )

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  17. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The emperor can appoint non-blood-related kings and prices / princesses, which are honorary positions with some considerable social respect, but essentially zero real political power. That is granted separately by the emperor, and in this case - based on what's been revealed so far - seems to involve the respect and attention the emperor grants them in his court*, rather than (or perhaps in addition to) their known ministerial positions.

One of the kickers in ancient imperial chinese government is that the Emperor Is Always Right, so the authority, power, position, and scope of each position in whatever government they have varies almost exclusively by the relations between the Emperor and whatever minister holds that position. Relationship management and networking are the most important determinators, even today, not the name of the title or position. Well, that's perhaps a slight exaggeration, but not much of one. : )

(*: from how King Song's power and influence was at risk of being lost due to his enforced vacation / temporary banishment from the court over opposition to the incestuous consort issue. No mention of any ministerial position was made, IIRC)

18. CodeZero

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot about non blood related royal houses. I guess that's possible. I just assumed they were blood related cause their historical counterparts are actually related. The Sage Emperor is Li Longji, while King Song is Li Chengqi, who is his older brother. King Qi's real name isn't used, but given that he's opposed to King Song, it'd make sense to me if he was also a blood relative.

While it wasn't directly stated that King Song had a position, I would imagine that he did. Why else would he even be allowed in court. The people who are allowed to be present in court are those with positions of real authority. If they were only given honourary positions out of respect, that respect and prestige likely wouldn't allow them influence in the royal court. That's the whole reason why most of the princes presumably don't play a major role in the court - if they are able to amass influence, they could try and usurp the throne.

19. shuiko

shuiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    all this awesome intrigue talk... and just here twitching my fingers... raws scare me.

20. CodeZero

Reading List:
    Link
    You should be scared.

MTL is dark and full of terrors.