Mtl of The Novel's Extra, The King of the Battlefield etc..

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Tyr_, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is tempting to read the mtl of Novel's Extra but I will try to have some self-control :sweating_profusely:

I want a piece of the MTL pie too.
    https://cmtl.wujigege.com/

3. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We are using terms from the original translator so the quality of the translation is up by a level!

4. AggressivePacifist

AggressivePacifist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you get their permission to use their translations?

5. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It mtl who cares, anyone can mtl if they really want to.

6. tyes77

tyes77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone can translate too if they really want to. If the website starts to ask for donations then big possibility daddy QI not gonna be happy.

7. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone translate that would be false, need a background on the said language, mtl anyone off the street can do it. P.S. Are you saying QI is mtl? If so a lot of readers must be having brain melts! LOL!

8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpopcorn: This thread is funny. I should blame Google too for providing me MTL of many translated novels. Shame on you, Google-sensei! And you Bing-san! And you too Yandex-kun!

9. tyes77

tyes77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look i mtl all the time but there's a fine difference between mtl yourself and mtl for others while profiting off of it

10. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what are you talking about? Hence when translator owns words in English?

11. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    If the translator, or whoever they contracted with, acquired the translation rights, then they do own the English words. Outside of that, it's just a dick move to piggyback off another translator's ongoing work.

Westeller likes this.
  12. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My friend, first of all they dont own the english publication rights to this specific novels. Secondly, even if they owned the right to publicize in english language they don't own the language itself (if you apply your logic to the internet itself then everybody has to get permission from someone else to even use internet let alone run a website). So if i use a phrase that was translated with an mtl software then I'm not piggybacking on anyone. The ones who piggyback off on translator's work are the aggregator websites who do publish the english translation without the permission of the translator.

Dark Wing likes this.
  13. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    You were speaking in general so I was replying in general.
    Of course not, but they do own the rights to the arrangement of English the translation produced, including their rendition of any specialty terms.
    Your failure to understand how fair use works has nothing to do with my "logic" (aka. facts about copyright).
    If the original translators used MTL and you got the same phrasing as they did by using MTL yourself, then that's one thing. But then you wouldn't have anything to brag about, so why did you even bring it up?
    I'm a translator myself. I know all too well how much work can go into translating names and terms. It's one of the hardest parts of doing a good translation. So if I was actively translating something and someone else started MTLing the same thing using the names and terms I'd come up with, I wouldn't be any happier with them than with the aggregator sites.

Westeller likes this.
  14. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They still don't own the rights to the ORIGINAL KOREAN, CHINESE or JAPANESE VERSION of the novels which are the raw source for the mtl. The only ones who could have legal claim over the mtl are the original owners of the novel's raw. In this case, WW isn't one.
    It's internet. So are we talking about GPL 2, 3?
    It would be a big shame if the original translator used mtl.. then he would be screwing users like you and me.
    Being happier and sad aren't part of any copyright discussion.

One more thing, let's say Translator A was the first translator ever used the phrase Nascent Soul. Now, does it mean that any other translator that uses the phrase Nascent Soul has to ask for permission from Translator A or get his approval?

15. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    For fuck's sake. I made two separate statements. One was about rights-holders, and the other was about non-rights-holders who are actively translating. You're confusing the two and throwing around red herrings like a group of sea lions having a food fight.

First: In the case of translators who do have translation rights, you're not allowed to distribute their translation because those words belong to the translator or their contractor. And you're not allowed to distribute your own translation, whether it's MTL of the raw or otherwise. It doesn't matter who has the rights to the original. You can MTL something to read for yourself. No matter where you got the terms you're using, you can't distribute that MTL. That's one case.

Second: There is the case of translators who do not have translation rights, but who are actively translating something. Legally, everyone's on the same footing, and everyone's breaking the law. So it's a different situation. Which is why I said that to use the phrases and terms another translator worked to come up with is "a dick move." In other words, it's a breach of etiquette. That's the other case.

Obviously the other translator in the second case has no legal right to stop you. But using terms they came up with in your MTL still makes you an asshole who is piggybacking off their work. You can believe that you're morally superior to other assholes, like aggregator sites, but no one else has to believe that or hold back from criticizing you.

Westeller likes this.
  16. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had simply asked you a question which was : "One more thing, let's say Translator A was the first translator ever used the phrase Nascent Soul. Now, does it mean that any other translator that uses the phrase Nascent Soul has to ask for permission from Translator A or get his approval?"

The only thing i saw in your answer was "asshole", "fuck's sake" etc. It is obvious that when REASON can't respond to a simple question and when there is times when words can't explain the curses are used. Either learn to know how to express yourself or don't get involed in proper discussions.

i've never cussed/cursed you but as a mouse who had been cornered you have chosen the easy way by just uttering nonsense and adversity. Shame on you!

If you feel that you have some bottom line and can continue a proper grown up conversation then i'm asking you once again. One more thing, let's say Translator A was the first translator ever used the phrase Nascent Soul. Now, does it mean that any other translator that uses the phrase Nascent Soul has to ask for permission from Translator A or get his approval? Imagine that Translator A was the first ever translator to get the license. Now, does it mean that he owns the phrase Nascent Soul and everyone else has to get his permission to use Nascent Soul.

If you are going to cuss/curse don't bother to reply.

17. tyes77

tyes77 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In all fairness, this is the only situation where I would like QI to fuck a translator over. Its a common rule most translators follow which is to not translate and publicize a work someone else is translating without their permission.

18. IlkatSumil

IlkatSumil 意地悪師

Reading List:
    Link
    One which was answered already. But since your reading comprehension is garbage, I'll spell it out for you. (Remember, I'm talking about unlicensed translations. I don't know why you keep bringing up licensed ones.)

If a translator actually worked to come up with his or her own translation of particular terms (as in, didn't get them from MTL) and is still actively translating that title (or has passed it off to another active translator), then you shouldn't be translating it period. But if you're going to be an asshole and MTL it anyway, you shouldn't be editing the terms used by the original translator into your MTL to make it more appealing. Asking for permission to use the terms is beside the point since I doubt any translator is going to be happy you're poaching their title in the first place.
    It's pretty fucking hilarious that you'd invoke "reason" in the next sentence after you used an ad hominem. You can't even tie your rhetorical shoelaces, much less hold your own in a "proper grown up conversation". You're just looking for an excuse to get out of this argument because you can't hold your own.

19. Tyr_

Tyr_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This was my question : One more thing, let's say Translator A was the first translator ever used the phrase Nascent Soul. Now, does it mean that any other translator that uses the phrase Nascent Soul has to ask for permission from Translator A or get his approval? Imagine that Translator A was the first ever translator to get the license. Now, does it mean that he owns the phrase Nascent Soul and everyone else has to get his permission to use Nascent Soul. (reference link: https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/4229018/)

Now, can you answer this question keeping in your mind that the Nascent Soul was used by a translator that HAD english publication license. I don't want your thoughts regarding unlicensed translations but LICENSED translations.

only the aggregator websites are using original translator's works without permission. We as MTL websites don't do that

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2018
  20. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are MTLing a licensed translation then you are still illegally publishing a translation as those who have the license have exclusive publication rights for an English translation of that novel. Meaning, no one else is legally alllowed to publish any English translation of that novel. Doesn't matter if it's 100% original.

Raneday, CodeZero and Westeller like this.