VR consideration help please

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by starwarscards, Aug 10, 2018.

?

Which one?

1. Samsung Odyssey

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Vive Pro

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Pimax 8k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (post below)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I am looking at buying my first VR headset later this year and have been looking up what I want. Making sure I did not miss anything that I may want to consider.

Here are some I am already considering:

Samsung Odyssey (like the price over the pro but... no sensor towers)
    vive pro (wowzers this is expensive)
    Pimax 8k (looks nice but not out yet and 4k had tracking issues)

So those are the ones I am already considering and was wondering if there was any more you could in add in that was coming out soon. The time frame I am looking for is when the Nvidia 1180 or 2080 or whatever it is called comes out as I will be upgrading my PC at that time and grabbing the VR around the same time.

2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Option 5 : Too poor to even consider

I've seen a few Oculus here and there. Check that out too

3. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    why bother....wait till u can play SAO type game with a "Link Start'' command...

Juria, jinxs2011, Noor and 3 others like this.
  4. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    are you planning to play room wide VR games or just while sitting/standing is enough?

I don't know abt samsung vr headset, but
    if you plan to play standing/sitting, occulus rift is good enough, you save around $100 compared to htc vive

5. slakids

slakids Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wait...... Till your brain burned....:blobpeek::blobpeek::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn: -from someone with 1.10Ghz computer.....:blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

6. Blackcross013

Blackcross013 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vive pro resolution is only a tiny bit higher than the odyssey, not enough to justify the inflated price. Not to mention at the $800 price tag only gets you the headset and nothing else. As for the odyssey, the tracking is a bit off when the controller is away from the sensor for more than a few seconds (10-15 sec, I guess). Otherwise it's a good deal. You can play at full room, sitting or standing configuration. Sensors are on the headset itself. You can play vive, oculus and steam vr games with a bit of tinkering. With pimax, resolution will definitely be good, but i'd wait to see if the software and tracking are any good.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a thought here,

you should look around first in order to see whats the pros and cons of these things in real life. The only 2 products i've tested are htc vive and oculus rift. Hands down oculus rift wins in controller department, but htc has an advantage when it comes to steam games. As for the movement and such, i don't see any difference, then again im playing in a place where they already setup the gears for commercial purposes. People say you have to fork out a bit more money to get accuracy on oculus.

Don't buy something that has just come out and not proven, you'll be riddled with bugs.

One thing for sure, the pc requirements for these things are massive. Don''t buy something that's going to be out of the league of your computer. I'm assuming that 8k thing needs at least 1070-1080. Somebody already reviewed it, his conclusion was that thing was not ready for prime time.

8. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    I say wait a decade for the tech to get a bit better. I've played on other's VR setups a couple times, and from my perspective there are major limitations in current VR tech that can't be solved without a massively overpriced setup, namely that your movement range ingame is limited by the amount of IRL space available to you, and collision in-game having no effect on reality.

To explain the last one, i'll give an example: I played this goofy gladiator simulator type thing, and in it, you could of course grab weapons and use them against your enemies. However, since there's no sensory feedback besides visual and aural, your weapon not only weighs nothing, it also goes through the enemies' weapons, and your attacks are reduced to you shaking the controller wildly at your enemy. The best weapon in that game was actually no weapon, in terms of both effectiveness and enjoyability.
    ...You could also sidestep through walls.

In the meantime, go weed and hit the sword dojos.

Hahhaa likes this.
  9. starwarscards

Reading List:
    Link
    on my computer side of things will be getting the next Nvidia card when it comes out and have a 8700K overclocked to 4.9mhz so should be fine there.

but ya been looking over what people are saying about what is already out and most have their ups and downs like you have said. just trying to become more informed before I buy so I can get something I won't have to trade out for something else later.

10. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if youre waiting, oculus is coming out with a new headset next year... i heard uou could buy that as an upgrade...

11. starwarscards

Reading List:
    Link
    something like Ready Player One is much closer than you think

SAO on the other hand while possible still is a ways out

12. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    Already order a dell headset, it should get here in about 1 week, other specs : gtx 1060 6 gb, i5 4690k , ssd ^_^