Spoiler Rebirth of Malicious Empress of Military Lineage

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Rena.anggreina, Jan 23, 2017.

1. clear

clear 『クソ主』 川(-'﹃ '-)川 『Bi Wenjun's Yoyo』

Reading List:
    Link
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    you can't do this to me

2. MASTOFTENBLUE

MASTOFTENBLUE Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have stopped reading the novel and started reading the story here. thanks for the nice translations.

3. MASTOFTENBLUE

MASTOFTENBLUE Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and spoilers

4. SecretLibrary

SecretLibrary Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's really heartbreaking.

5. ziasen

ziasen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
    why tragic...we need a beautiful ending

6. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pls, we need to see a happy ending for all of em.. u cant leave me here crying :blobcry:

7. wny

wny Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there is more..? i just register new member to thank you for your spoiler...

8. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    The finale (x)

THE END (no, there are some side stories to flesh out the endings)

Xie was very good to the two babies.

His men and friends who had followed him for many years were stunned by his patience and gentleness. It is said that a young man was the happiest when he became a father. ‘Gentle patience’ was not a phrase commonly associated with Xie’s temper.

But he surprised everyone by spending time with the two children every day. He personally changed their diapers and also picky with the wet nurse. He was a grown man with plenty of questions. The two children only had nicknames given by Xie. One was Chu Yi (literally: first day of the month), the other Shi Wu (fifteen).

Everyone thought he was being too casual with their names. Xie retorted: “The first and the fifteen are when the moon is the fullest. Any way, they are my sons. What I call them has nothing to do with you, get lost.”

And they got lost.

Regardless of the names, he took care of them meticulously and did what was needed to be done.

Yongle Emperor’s edict was clear. Now that everything was peaceful, Xie would ascend to the throne. This was obvious, but what about the position of the empress?

Who?

Shen Miao was still lying down on her back, perhaps never to wake up, or might wake up to be a disabled person. There were no precedents for such an empress.

It was unlikely. The future was long and uncertain, and people’s heart can change. Now Xie could say he was true to Shen Miao, but who can tell the future?

When Luo Tan heard about it, she was distressed. The Shen family were still marching with the Daliang army and yet to reach the capital and thus did not know Shen Miao’s circumstances. As the only relative of Shen Miao present, Luo Tan did not want to see her wronged, especially when Shen Miao had sacrificed so much in return for nothing.

She scolded Xie: Xie himself did not make any mistakes but Shen Miao did all the hard work for the past year. She said Shen Miao had carried a big belly while protecting the kingdom in his stead; she had protected the palace and the dignity of the royal family. It was obviously dangerous for her to do so, yet Shen Miao was being brought down, she did not deserve this.

Xie listened silently as she ranted. He smiled as he looked at her. “And so?”

Luo Tan did not know what else to say. “And so, your heart should know.” She had vented and was now panicking. She ran out and accidentally hit a person. Looking up, it was Gao Yang.

Gao Yang was puzzled and asked her what had happened. She gave him a look and left.

Xie went to the pond to drink tea, but then changed his mind and had Eunuch Deng bring a pot of wine instead.

It was at this pavilion where the Xiande Empress and the Yongle Emperor had last shared the snow plum wine. The heavens were unfair. On the surface, he was indeed more fortunate than Yongle; at least he was still alive with a future of possibilities.

But what if Shen Miao never wakes up? What was the point of him living like this? The throne was not a big deal to him, if the person beside him left him a meaningless life, it would be all too sad.

There were sounds of footsteps, Xie turned to see that it was Pei Lang.

Pei Lang looked like a modest gentleman who avoided wine, giving the impression that he was one who played the qin and drank tea. But he sat opposite Xie and poured himself a cup of wine.

The jade cup shimmered in the moonlight, letting people feel drunk before drinking.

“You are being enthroned tomorrow. Congratulations,” Pei Lang said.

Xie smiled without joy.

“What about her? What have you decided?” Pei Lang asked straightforwardly.

Xie slowly turned to stare at him awhile. “Sir Pei Lang is very concerned?”

“We were teacher and student once,” Pei Lang said his cup was refilled. “The trouble in the palace seems difficult. I am not seeking to change anything, I am just curious.”

“Oh?” Xie drained his cup. “What do you think?”

“Princess Rui had said that she was not interested in the empress’s position, or in any seat of power. She is not greedy, just tired. But as it was her responsibility, she stepped up to do so. She is not a benevolent person, but someone who would bear the burden for the sake of those around her. And that includes the Shen family, the children and you.”

Pei Lang continued: “She had said that her life had always been difficult, that the heavens had been severe with her.
    She sometimes thinks back and said that she had never had good fortune from the beginning. That was why she never dared to expect much from the heavens, and only hoped for her beloved persons to be happy and peaceful.”

Xie’s brow twitched slightly.

Pei Lang smiled as he told him: “She never had good luck, things that came easy to others, she had to work hard to get. Even the smallest of wishes was harder for her than for other people. Hardship came easy, but before she could taste the sweet reward she was forced to sleep. The heavens are unfair. It is because that she had not sought anything for herself that made her all the more pitiful and admirable.”

Pei Lang held up the wine and said, “Your majesty, now your great task is done, your path is clear and the world is yours. Maybe there will be beauties in the future. But I have to remind you: don’t let yourself feel regret.”

His voice became very low. “Once you regret, there is no way to turn back. Living day to day will be a painful torture.”

Xie looked at him thoughtfully. “Do you regret?”

“Once. And I spent the rest of my life to recover from it. Although I recovered, there are some things that are lost forever,” Pei Lang sighed.

The two men sat in silence. Then Aunt Tao came rushing in. “Your majesty, the two young princes are crying unceasingly. The wet nurse does not know what to do, please go take a look.”

Chu Yi and Shi Wu had been with Xie everyday and only he could coax them. It was strange, as they had inherited Shen Miao’s quiet temperament and did not cause trouble initially. Only after Xie had returned that they threw temper tantrums and forced him to be patient. If it was some other young father, they would not be able to handle it.

Xie stood up. “I’ll go and see.” He suddenly thought of something and told Pei Lang, “You are an interesting person. But, thank you for your reminder.”

He finished his cup of wine and said: “I won’t do anything I would regret, nor cause anyone to regret. You worry too much.”

Pei Lang watched their departing backs and shook his head, laughing at himself self-deprecatingly.

“Worry too much?”

His expression became bitter. “Really, he leaves no chance at all. What a hateful man…”

The day of Xie’s enthronement was bright and warm. His dynastic name was changed to “Xiaojin” (Filial Piety).

In the majestic and grand palace, the hundred officials and courtiers gathered. The young emperor was given the royal robes embroidered with golden dragons, inspiring awe and might for all to see.

Young and handsome, yet his eyes were worldly and cynical, as cool as the autumn breeze.

No one dared to underestimate the young emperor. Though he was the youngest in the history of Daliang, he had carried its flag to numerous battlefields and swept aside Ming and Daqin. In court, he had the cunning and ability to keep the officials in check.

With the imperial rule established and the royal jade seal in hand, the Daliang dynasty had a new ruler.

After the ceremony, the emperor unexpectedly went back inside the palace. The officials kept their heads; not daring to look up until the emperor reappeared and called for them to raise their heads.

Everyone knew that Princess Rui had been in a long sleep behind closed doors. When they looked up, they saw the young emperor carrying a woman and slowly set her down on the empress’s throne. Every movement was careful and meticulous, as if she was the greatest of his treasures.

Except for Gao Yang, Ji Yushu and a few others; the courtiers were full of shock. Someone called out: “Your majesty, you can’t!”

“Oh?” Xie turned to look at him. He smiled. “And why not?”

“The… the princess had yet to awaken. How can the mother of the country be an unconscious person?”

Such a thing was unheard of.

“No?” Emperor Xiaojing asked teasingly. “Well, what do you suggest then?”

The courtier was an old official to whom the Yongle Emperor had been very respectful. Emboldened by this fact, he asked: “Does his majesty intend to keep the harem forever empty for her sake?”

The ministers felt awkward.

An unconscious person can still cast a large shadow even if just in name. The courtier’s meaning was unambiguous, in the future when new beauties enter the palace, as long as this shadow remained, their children will never supplant Chu Yi and Shi Wu.

Emperor Xiaojing smiled softly, sending chills up their spines.

They heard the emperor say: “An empty harem? My palace will only have one woman, what does an empty harem matter?”

The officials were shocked!

“Emperor…” the old courtier wanted to say more.

“Xu Aiqing, I remember that you have two little granddaughters, as pretty as flowers,” Xiaojing said.

The old courtier was stunned and he dared to hope. Yet in the next moment, his hopes were snuffed when he heard the emperor:

“Why not let me bestow them to Wu Pass’s Song Xiaojiang?”

Song Xiaojiang was young and promising. Unfortunately he had lost an eye in the battlefield, it would be impossible for him to have a future.

Xu Aiqing suddenly became like mud.

“I am not asking for your opinions, I am telling you my decision,” Xiaojing Emperor said as he sat down on the throne. “I am the Son of Heaven and your ruler. If you go against my wishes and still raise your voices to interfere in the private matters of my palace, I will definitely…” He paused to think awhile. “…Double the payback.”

“When that time comes, don’t say that I did not warn you.”

He smiled, as if he was the teenager who casually rode his horse in the streets of the Ming capital once more. If it was back then, the sword would have already flown off its sheath. He looked at his sword: it was said to cut iron as if it was mud.

“If you don’t believe it, try it,” he laughed.

He was not like an emperor, not solemn enough, not dignified enough; but far more dangerous than emperors of the past. Not even the Yongle Emperor could handle his temper. The more casually he dismisses something, the more he causes the hearts of others to thump. Everyone knows that this Rui Wang was a black belly, those who opposed him wouldn’t even know how they died. The main point was that he would ignore the traditions and customs, unafraid of anything. They believed that he was the sort who would marry off one minister’s granddaughter to the brother of another official, or someone’s grandson to marry a bitter opponent’s daughter.

No one dared to risk using one’s own family.

They thought it was not worth it. Let the Xiaojing emperor do as he wished, who knows he would tire of the novelty after a few days; or be fascinated with a new beauty. He was still a man, when in love he would be full of passion. When it ran dry, it would disappear. Why do they need to do unpleasant things now?

They thought like this and were relieved. They no longer opposed him; some even go as far as to flatter him and praised the deep love between the Xiaojing Emperor and his wife.

Xie stared at the faces of these ministers, as if they were all wearing colourful masks. Ridiculous, and pitiful.

He knelt before Shen Miao.

They say there are gold underneath a man’s knees. For a common man to do so would be surprising, what more when he was the Emperor of Daliang, the ruler of all-under-heaven. Such a man was kneeling before a woman.

Shen Miao had been placed on the throne carefully. Aunt Tao, Gu Yu and Jing Zhe had dressed her up in the royal robes, the edges of her eyes sprinkled with fine gold powder. Her hair was tied in the imperial style, her eyes closed and her long eyelashes low as if she was sleeping.

She was an extremely beautiful and iron-willed woman. Gao Zhan had said that Shen Miao had an unfulfilled wish and so clung on so as to be kept alive.

But what was her last wish?

Was it to see Xie’s face one more time, to see Chu Yi and Shi Wu grow up, or to bid Shen Xin and the rest farewell?

Xie leaned over to her ear and joked. “I have made you an empress, wouldn’t you take a look?”

Shen Miao did not hear him, still asleep in her own world; as if she would continue to sleep for a lifetime.

Xie stared at her. “I know you are tired. Wake up once you have slept enough, Chu Yi and Shi Wu wants to look for their mother.”

He reached into her sleeves and held her cold hand.

“I really miss you too.”

The officials silently watched their young emperor. They have been in court for many years and have seen many things. Real or faked, true or false, sometimes they can’t even distinguish their own hearts themselves. Yet they can’t help but feel moved. Rui Wang had never been a truly good person, not a few among them had been ruined by him and they hate his guts.

Yet even they are reluctant to disturb this scene. Looking at the emperor and his woman brought forth memories of their own youths.

Everyone would have the love of their life, but it does not last a lifetime as it was too difficult. Many would give up halfway, not many could go all the way to the end.

Can the Xiaojing Emperor do it?

Xie took off his imperial headdress and placed it on Shen Miao’s head. His movements were gentle and solemn, and he also placed something on the headdress.

He leaned in and kissed her eyes.

Time seemed to rewind, back to the time when he was a ruthless young teenager and she was still stepping her toes into the royal courts of Ming.

He asked: “Shen Miao, do you want to be an empress?”

No one had thought that he would be an emperor, and she an empress.

Time returned to normalcy.

Behind the curtains, Luo Tan was peeking. She was crying and laughing. “He really made cousin the empress… Cousin did not see wrongly…”

Behind her, Pei Lang smiled with relief tinged with a missed chance; more on the former.

“Very good,” he said.

In the spring, the flowers were blossoming. The breeze scattered their petals. The birds sang while perched on the branches, excitement was everywhere as far as the eyes can see.

Half a year passed quickly, almost too quickly for people to hold on.

For the people of Daliang’s capital, the past six months had been very pleasant. Perhaps it was because Daqin and Ming had been wiped out; or because the new emperor was very different; or in other words, the Xiaojing Emperor was very competent.

He was very generous to the people, garnering acclaim from the world. There was a rumour that because in his youth he had enjoyed mingling with the common folk and knew their hardships, he was able to put himself in their shoes.

In any event, the Xiaojing Emperor enjoyed much support among the common folk.

But that was not the case in the imperial court.

When Emperor Yongle was on the throne, he considered the reputation and dignity of his officials. But Emperor Xiaojing was a different ruler; he was kind the common people but harsh to his officials and did not consider their feelings. Those elder statesmen could not get an edge when facing him.

What was more frightening was that he managed to balance the factions well, and he was able to sniff out any potential threats and even discover their dark thoughts. The courtiers all suspect they had traitors in their house and cleaned up after themselves.

What made them most dissatisfied was that Xiaojing really did not take in other women in the past half year. There was only the sleeping empress who couldn’t wake up.

It was incomprehensible to some as they had initially thought he was just keeping his promise to Empress Shen Miao verbally. Even if her position was unshakeable, surely it was fine for him to receive some other women. But as time went by, the rear palace of Emperor Xiaojing’s harem remained so empty that even birds could frolicked freely. They realized that he was not just paying lip service and that he really meant what he said.

The emperor’s methods were too effective: forcing loggerheads to marry; disallow someone’s divorce, keeping tabs on the ministers and warn them… it was like killing three birds with a single arrow.

As a result, the courtiers did not dare to send beauties to the Xiaojing Emperor.

But rumours continue to swirl. A young strapping man with a wife who would not wake up and had not other women were bound to invite suspicions of being a cut sleeve, someone who preferred men.

Such rumours did not cause much effect. So what if he was a cut sleeve? He still had two sons to inherit the country. He was cunning and healthy, only afraid that he would live a very long life.

In other words, the common folk knelt and the courtiers were obedient.

The morning sun was exceptionally fine that day. Aunt Tao brought out the two children to the emperor.

“Emperor, you really want to bring the two princes out… for an outing?”

Xie with one baby in hand as he climbed up the carriage merely grunted in the positive.

Inside was the sleeping Shen Miao. Xie had a headache as he looked at her. “Sleeping for half a year, are you a pig?”

Chu Yi and Shi Wu moved their little hands and looked at him excitedly. In a loud voice, Xie commanded: “Set off!”

Iron Coat whipped the horses. Ever since his master became the Emperor, the leader of Xie’s elite army became a coachman…

Xie was fond of taking the children out, despite the protests of Eunuch Deng and Butler Tang. But they couldn’t withstand his martial arts and stop him. He told them that the children should be exposed to the mountains and waters from a young age, so as not to be blinded by the world in the future and also for them to learn what they really want.

It was just an excuse, what he really wanted was to take Shen Miao outside for leisure.

The carriage stopped in the shade of a mountain where the scenery was grand.

Xie carried his sons himself. Mo Qing held a pot of rice, as Chu Yi and Shi Wu were beginning to eat rice gruel. They were not picky and enjoyed eating it.

However, when Xie tried to feed them while Iron Coat carried Chu Yi and Mo Qing carried Shi Wu, the boys kick up a fuss and frustrated him.

A fire flared in Xie. “Give me the children.”

He casually took the ribbon that was used to tie the food basket, placed Chu Yi inside and slung him over his back. Then he put Shi Wu in his arms, and fed him the porridge.

Shi Wu struggled, but Xie told his guards to draw back and not to help.

The emperor of the country had one baby on his back and the other in his arms. With a bright ribbon across his body, the one on his back was crying while he fed the other.

His elite guards could not bear to watch on.

Shi Wu wailed loudly, and Chu Yi at the back followed suit. A short moment later, Xie felt a warm, trickling sensation.

Wonderful, they were peeing.

He was so frustrated that he wanted to teach the two stinky brats a lesson. But then someone exclaimed:

“Someone laughed!”

All turned to look.

The maid Jing Zhe trembled as she pointed at the carriage. “I heard it just now!”

In the carriage was the sleeping Shen Miao.

Suddenly all became quiet.

The mountain breeze caressed their faces; warm and mellow and prickly, as if the sun was teasing them.

In the quiet, they could hear it. Someone was laughing in a clear voice, a familiar voice full of gentleness.

After a long moment, Xie strode over with big steps.

His hand trembled slightly, but he made up his mind and opened the carriage’s curtains.

The woman inside was drowsy, still in a sleeping posture. The voice was lazy and her expression was one who had just woken up, yet her excitement was obvious to see.

She turned her head slightly and smiled.

“Long time no see, Young Master Xie.”

9. Elephant Dreams

Elephant Dreams Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Boom! There you go! Thank you so much for all your hard work! :)

10. wny

wny Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i hope there will be more..
    tq for your hardwork..

11. Lovelynwin

Lovelynwin New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much!!! This made my day. So sweet, I think I have toothache. Awww. I can't wait for the side story, I hope its about them living happy ever after.

12. Aeiru28

Aeiru28 Unchanged Melody

Reading List:
    Link
    *of course I know the reason why she is wake up...but still can't stop to comment...

Shen Miao, did you decide to wake up when someone said you were like a pig... or maybe want to see your own husband get humiliated by the babies???..hmm

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  13. orematcha

orematcha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aaaaaaaa Shen Miao, Jing Xing.... :blobsob::blobsob:
    What a beautiful ending scene.. I cant wait for the side stories!!

14. PechDepi

PechDepi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That final make me cry again and again. And those old minster alway try to send woman in.

15. maecasano

maecasano Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    aaaahhhh!! this novel is really awesome! I've been following this since the beginning.. and I'm grateful to those who translated and provided the spoilers. ahhh! it ended quite perfectly, if you ask me! :)

16. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    The immediate aftermath...

Side Story 1 - Ten thousand possibilities (The Idiot Couple)
    The news of Shen Miao’s awakening made everyone crazy.

She had slept day after day without any signs of waking up. Who’d knew that when they had almost lost hope, who’d knew that Xie taking the two babies out for the outing became the catalyst for her to awaken. When they returned to the palace, the people within were thoroughly shocked.

Shen Xin and Lady Luo came out together with Shen Qiu and stared at the apparition before them. Lady Luo burst into tears as she hugged Shen Miao. Shen Xin and Shen Qiu stood quietly, though their tears were not as obvious as Lady Luo’s, their eyes were red.

Luo Tan reached out to touch Shen Miao’s hair. “Is this real? Am I not seeing this? Gao Yang, can you pinch me and tell me it’s true?”

But Gao Yang was absent; he was already busily away to invite his grandfather Gao Zhan.

When Gao Zhan arrived, he took Shen Miao’s pulse and was pleased to report: “The Empress is stable, no longer any problems.”

Everyone sighed with relief.

After the Shens had surrendered to Xie and came to Daliang, they could not accept the fact that Shen Miao had fallen into a deep sleep. They had wanted to take Shen Miao to travel the world as they thought Xie would not make a comatose person the empress. Not to say empress, a person’s heart can change easily; if there were new women in the palace, Shen Xin surely would have taken Shen Miao away.

He was thankful that Xie had refused it. Xie had initially pleaded with Shen Xin, and then they almost came to blows.

It was Luo Tan and Lady Luo who persuaded them and brought up the issue of Chu Yi and Shi Wu. Shen Xin was rendered helpless, but he was afraid that someone would harm Shen Miao while she was asleep. Therefore the Shen and Luo forces were handed over to Luo Ling. The two families then stationed themselves in the palace to watch over Shen Miao themselves.

This was in violation of traditions, but Xie was happy that there were people accompanying Shen Miao which was a good thing. For the past half year, the ill-feeling that the Shens had for him was eroded.

When these things were told to Shen Miao, her heart was full of wonderful feelings. She did not want to wake up to see her loved ones missing. Everyone was healthy and fine, it was almost unbelievable for her to witness it.

“Sister-in-law,” Ji Yu said. “Now that you’re up, those officials can finally stop their nonsense. You have no idea that for the past six months, they have made royal brother completely miserable.”

Xie gave him a long stare. “You talk too much.”

Ji Yu snorted. Ever since Shen Miao’s long sleep, Xie had no patience for anyone except for the Shen family and the two babies, let alone him. His temper was worse than before, and Ji Yu knew better than to poke at him.

“If you are all done talking, go back,” Xie looked at the crowd coldly. “It is getting late, don’t disturb my empress’s rest.”

He heavily emphasized the words “my empress”.

Shen Qiu rolled up his sleeves to fight with Xie. For the past six months they often sparred in the yard to exchange pointers, but they were actually letting off steam against each other. Shen Qiu was of the private opinion that Shen Miao was sleeping because of Xie, and it would have better if she had not followed him. Xie in return thought Shen Qiu was nosy: outsiders should not try to control his wife, not even if he was her brother.

Now that Shen Miao had at last awoken, Xie again bringing up their royal ties was irritating to Shen Qiu.

But Lady Luo said: “You said rightly. We have wagged our tongues for too long and have caused her to be dizzy. Let her rest awhile, we have plenty of time to talk slowly.”

Shen Miao actually wanted to know everything that had happened in the past six months. But one session would not be enough to tell everything, better to talk it over slowly. After all, what they had was time.

After saying their goodbyes, Shen Miao returned to the inner palace.

In her room, her maids Jing Zhe and the rest were wiping their tears as they helped to clean Shen Miao. “Empress had finally awaken, I have always thought of serving the empress once more, unsure that the heavens would grant such a day. Never expected the heavens to give the opportunity for me to serve the empress once more from now on…”

Seeing them like so as she was being bathed made her cry and laugh at her maids who had surely been worried sick for so many months.

They wiped her body clean, dried her hair and dressed her before bringing over Chu Yi and Shi Wu. The two babies were placed on the bed as usual. Xie had them sleeping together with Shen Miao all the while; though she was comatose the two children did not feel that she was a stranger. Shen Miao smiled and gently caressed their hair.

Her heart was full to the point of bursting by these two children. Her fingers teased the babies. Being twins that also behaved similarly, there were days when the nursemaids could not tell them apart without dressing them differently. Chu Yi wore blue while Shi Wu wore red.

Chu Yi wrapped around Shen Miao’s finger and gurgled in delight.

Shen Miao laughed.

Xie returned just in time to see this scene.

He walked over. “Sleeping for half a year until you’ve gone foolish? Laughing like a fool.”

“I’m looking at my sons,” she said, “What does it got to do with you?”

“Those are also my sons,” Xie raised an eyebrow. “Tell me, how did you wake up?”

Shen Miao was too lazy to bother with him and busied herself playing with Chu Yi and Shi Wu. Xie took off his outer robes and hugged Shen Miao’s waist from behind. “Two little fools, nothing to look at.”

“What sort of names did you give them? Chu Yi and Shi Wu are too casual,” Shen Miao complained. “Did you do it on a whim?”

“Who said it was on a whim?” Xie said. “I was waiting for you to name them grandly.”

“Are you not afraid that I would not wake up?”

Xie drawled: “Then they will be Xie Chu Yi and Xie Shi Wu.”

“…”

The two kids on the bed laughed as if they had understood Xie.

Shen Miao reached out with her hand but she was dragged back into Xie’s embrace.

“You didn’t see me for only half a year but already you don’t want me. So cold.”

Shen Miao was quieted for a while. Then she broke out of his embrace, turned around with her arms folded and smiled at Xie.

He felt a chill up his spine.

“Young Master Xie, do you know what you did?” she said.

“What?” Xie asked, puzzled.

Shen Miao smiled coldly.

It was summer: the flowers were blossoming, the birds singing, the streets bustle with people and carriages. The call of merchants and hawkers spread from east to the west of the city, excitement was in the air.

Shen Miao was wearing yellow long-sleeved robes embroidered with colorful flowers. It was brightly colored and garishly decorated; together with her gold and silver jewelry and heavy makeup, she looked extraordinarily… foolish.

The people who pass around her occasionally gave her looks of ridicule.

Shen Miao was dazed.

She last remembered being in the Daliang palace, dying after giving birth. But at the next moment, she was at this lively street.

A street that was no stranger to her, it was a busy street in the Ming capital of Dingjing.

What was happening? From Daliang’s Long Ye it was not possible to be in Ming’ Dingjing at the blink of an eye. Was she dreaming?

Yet she saw Jing Zhe and Gu Yu behind her. They were looking back at her cautiously. She looked down at her clothes, and it seemed that she had returned to a time long, long ago… when she had just had fallen in love with Fu Xiuyi.

Was her rebirth real or another dream? Which was the dream, which was the truth?

She felt dizzy, and held her forehead. Gu Yu was frightened. “Miss, are you alright?”

Shen Miao shook her head but before she could reply, she saw a familiar person at a corner. The man was dressed in ragged clothes and holding a Taoist whisk. He was shaking his head while muttering a chant. Shen Miao’s eyes brightened and quickly ran towards him.

Jing Zhe and Gu Yu could only follow her and watched as Shen Miao approached the strange man.

“Daoist Chiyan!” she shouted.

The strange priest turned around with a smile, it really was him.

Daoist Chiyan was very surprised to see her. “Madam, how is it you are here?”

Shen Miao noticed that he had called her “Madam” instead of “Miss”.

Jing Zhe was furious. “Who is ‘Madam’? Don’t speak rubbish, our miss is still unmarried!”

Shen Miao stopped her and told the priest: “We need to speak in private.”

“Miss!” the maids admonished anxiously.

Shen Miao’s brows deepened. “Listen to me!”

Her face was so fierce that the maids did not dare to protest any further.

Shen Miao and Daoist Chiyan went inside an abandoned temple while her maids waited outside. Shen Miao looked at him and hesitated before saying: “Daoist should know me.”

“I have seen the Madam three times,” he replied, holding up three fingers.

The first in her original life, the second during her rebirth, was this the third? Shen Miao hurriedly asked: “Daoist, do you know what is happening? Why have I returned here?”

She was nearing the end of her life, how was she back in the past in Ming’s Dingjing? Could it be that everything with Xie Jingxing, all the things that happened in Daliang and having children, was it all a dream? If it was, it was much too real.

“Madam, your life is very strange,” the Daoist said. “Though you had a chance for rebirth, by the middle of your life you had disrupted the fate of others and so paid the price. Though earlier you had averted catastrophe, you merely postponed it. You can only depend on yourself and not on others.”

Shen Miao frowned. “What do you mean, sir Daoist?”

“During your rebirth someone begged a second chance for you; but there are ten thousand possibilities. You may fall in love with someone who had returned here, or fall in love with someone else. You have two choices.”

Shen Miao clenched her fist. “What are they?”

“Your current body is about to slip into a long sleep. You can choose to stay in this dream and look for another possibility. From now on it will be another beginning, a new life. But this current body won’t be asleep for too long.”

“What is the other choice?” Shen Miao asked.

“Go find your fated person and convince him to bring you back to Daliang and enter the palace. The moment you step inside, your body will wake up.”

Shen Miao had a cold sweat.

“But this will be very difficult,” the Daoist said while stroking his beard. “Now you and that man are strangers, to convince him to bring you to Daliang is very difficult indeed.”

Shen Miao felt a headache. “It’s completely impossible.”

Xie Jingxing had a temper, sharp and suspicious and would not believe in others easily. Even during her rebirth, Shen Miao had conflicts with Xie. And now… looking at the way she was dressed, it would be strange if Xie did believe her.

“Madam, let it be this,” the Daoist said. “Madam can also live in this dream; it is no different than reality. You can remain here and start anew, that would simplify matters. The second choice is much too difficult.”

Shen Miao bowed her head. “Do you have red strings? Can you give me two?”

Daoist Chiyan stared at her up and down and laughed.

“Does the madam still choose that road?”

“Since I can be here, it would not be too bad,” Shen Miao smiled. “In ten thousand possibilities, I am not willing to hurt one person out of ten thousand because of me. If he doesn’t know me now, I will go to know him first. The mountain doesn’t move, I will go to the mountain. Daoist, you gave me a way before and now the way had gone, and so I will go find it myself.”

Daoist Chiyan said: “Love can make one crazy! In that case, let this poor Daoist give you another way!”

He took two red strings from his sleeves. “Madam, I wish you well.”

Accepting the blessing, Shen Miao turned to leave.

Jing Zhe and Gu Yu felt a little strange lately.

Shen Miao had changed her tastes from wearing gold and silver to simple yet attractive colors. Secondly, she was no longer close to the second and third Shen families, to the point of being dismissive.

In the past she would obsess about news of Ding Wang (Fu Xiuyi), but lately she no longer did so, as if she had completely forgotten about such a person.

Lastly, she had been loitering around the streets lately.

Shen Miao was more troubled than Jing Zhe and Gu Yu. Xie Jingxing had wanderlust; he would go east and west. One day he would visit a restaurant, the next attend a banquet. Shen Miao knew this was a disguise, but he was like a butterfly and she kept missing the chance to find him. He was never at the same place twice, and it took Shen Miao nearly half a month to comb over the city.

This evening, Shen Miao left Jing Zhe and Gu Yu to wait while she personally went to the Xie residence.

She was dressed like a man in casual clothes. Since the city knew of her as someone who draped herself in gold and silver, they would not see through her disguise.

From a distance she saw Xie returning on horseback, accompanied by Gao Yang and Ji Yushu.

Not for nothing that the trio had spent their time in the taverns. One look and they recognized a woman disguised as a man. Ji Yushu even whistled. “Third brother, here comes another beauty.”

Shen Miao: “…”

Xie gave her a cursory glance. Before Shen Miao could interpret his look, he was already entering the residence. Shen Miao grabbed hold of him. “Young Master Xie!”

Xie stopped.

“Let’s have a chat,” she said.

Inside, Xie lazily poured her a cup of tea. “Shen Miao, the fifth miss of the Shen family; you had followed me for the past half month, did you really fall in love with me?”

His words were contemptuous and his eyes were as sharp as ever. He had long knew of her identity and left her with nothing to say.

She felt a headache.

To get to Daliang and wake up as soon as possible, she needed this Xie Jingxing. But in this dream, Xie Jingxing was a stubborn and suspicious person, what could she say?

Tell him that she was his wife that had given him two children? Would he think of her as a madwoman?

She said: “Young Master Xie... can you bring me to Daliang?”

Her words have yet to finish when there was a rush of wind towards her. A hand was around her throat.

Xie’s voice’s was chilly and murderous. “What do you know?”

Shen Miao gasped for breath.

She knew this would happen! Xie Jingxing’s temper meant he would not care about her and she had to do this to get him to listen.

Seeing that she was completely defenseless, Xie slightly loosened his grip. Shen Miao was still furious.

“Bastard!”

Xie Jingxing stared at her. “Your courage is very big.”

“Bastard! Lecher! Shameless! Hope the bridge breaks under you, you wolf-hearted barking dog…” she scolded continuously.

Stunned, Xie Jingxing released his hold. Then he laughed. “Miss Shen, I don’t seem to have offended you before.”

Shen Miao rubbed her neck. “Bring me to Daliang.”

Seeing that he was becoming hostile again, she said: “Take me to Daliang and I will tell you what I know.”

Xie Jingxing folded his arms and smiled at her coldly. “Sorry, I have no interest in what you know.”

He sat down to leisurely drink tea. “Today I will spare you, but if I find you are plotting something… Miss Shen, you know that I’m not a good person.”

Shen Miao was stunned, he had said those words ‘I am not a good person’ to her before.

“Is Miss Shen still not leaving? Do you want to stay in my residence for the night?” He laughed. “I have no problems with that.”

“Shameless!” Shen Miao said.

After she had left, Xie Jingxing’s face hardened. “Iron Coat.”

A man in black appeared.

“Investigate. Shen family, Shen Miao.”

The man in black accepted the order.

It was difficult for Shen Miao to chase after Xie Jingxing.

Whether the real Xie or the one in her dream, he was still hateful. Especially the one in the dream.

In this dream, she was just a stranger to him. And before that, she was infamous and a stupid woman who liked Fu Xiuyi. If she suddenly changed her image, he would think that she knew his real identity and scheming something. Who’d knew what he would do then.

Xie Jingxing was suspicious of her and kept her at a distance. She had to sneakily follow him every day to find an opportunity to privately talk to him.

Xie Jingxing knew that he was being followed and only pretended to be ignorant. If Gao Yang and Ji Yushu knew of this, they would tease him endlessly.

The third day of the seventh month was Xie Jingxing’s birthday.

Shen Miao knew that this was not his ‘official’ birthday as known by the Xie family. But this was day of birth for Rui Wang of Daliang.

She realized that because of the incident with Ye Mei in the real world during Xie’s birthday, she was nearly assassinated and this caused a huge shock to him. She might as well give him a huge shock for his birthday here in this dream.

She went out early to book a table at the Yanyu Pavilion restaurant. She had sold off all her gold and jewelry to pay for it. Jing Zhe and Gu Yu eyes were red but she refused to listen to them.

It was just a dream. In reality, gold and jewelry are worn on the outside of one’s body, what more in a dream?

She planned to drag Xie Jingxing over in the evening to share some drinks and chat about Daliang. But it was too complicated and Xie Jingxing might not even understand and would think she was speaking nonsense.

She followed Xie Jingxing to Thousand Gold House, where he was to drink with some noble sons of Dingjing and to meet with one Qin Qing.

Thousand Gold House’s Qin Qing was one of Shen Miao’s classmates. She had a beautiful appearance, dressed in blue wide-sleeved robes and a yellow belt around her waist. The fluttering clothes made her look like a fairy.

Qin Qing had always been proud of her beauty and did not place ordinary people in her eyes. But those eyes were now settling on Xie Jingxing who was with her own big brother Qin. She cast sweet glances at him.

Even a fool knows that she was interested in him. Brother Qin also intended to match them together and deliberately had them sitting next to each other.

Shen Miao looked on from one side, not knowing what they were talking about. Xie Jingxing laughed while Qin Qing shyly kept her head low. From a distance, they really look like a fated pair.

Shen Miao felt the sourness rising to her eyes.

She knew that this was just a dream. She knew that Xie Jingxing did not know her and that he was just pretending. Yet she was sad; was the Xie back in Daliang in the real world being accompanied by beautiful women?

Ten thousand possibilities, surely he would not choose her every time.

She closed her eyes and felt stifled by the scene. She got up and left.

She ended up at the Yanyu Pavilion.

The table she had booked was the most prestigious and at the highest floor. From the window, one could see the fireworks and the moon.

She was alone with a full table of dishes. It was a gorgeous spread, but it cannot fill her loneliness.

She poured herself a cup of wine.

It was a good wine, sweet with lingering aftertaste.

She drank slowly as she watched the moon.

The moon in this dream was so beautiful. In the real world, where was Xie watching the moon?

She drank copiously and it went to her head. She was so dizzy that she did not hear the footsteps behind her. Then she heard:

“Wow, the Shen family is truly luxurious. Miss Shen is eating alone but still has a full feast here in this restaurant.”

Shen Miao turned around to see a smiling Xie Jingxing entering the room uninvited.

She frowned.

Xie glanced at the empty wine bottles on the table and laughed. “Drinking so much, is Miss Shen in a bad mood?”

Shen Miao glared at him.

Xie Jingxing leaned in so that they were eye-to-eye. He saw that hers were red. “It shouldn’t be because of me?”

Shen Miao kept quiet.

“Because of Qin Qing?” he asked.

He had barely spoken when she threw herself into his arms.

Her arms circled around his waist, her face buried in his chest. Such a familiar body, but why would he speak to her so strangely?

She sobbed and wailed: “Shameless, don’t you no longer want me? When you married me, you clearly said there won’t be another woman. One lifetime together as a pair, Xie Jingxing you liar! Tricked me into marrying you and then going out to catch butterflies, my brother and father will beat you up! Bastard, bastard, bastard!”

Xie Jingxing was stunned. “When did I say…”

But when he saw her tears, he swallowed the rest of his words.

The girl in his arms was shaking with sorrowful crying, her hands around his waist tightly. She was more like a child than an assassin. After a moment, Xie gently stroked her shoulder comfortingly.

She was the Shen family’s fifth miss, the infamous socialite. He had no relations with the Shen family. But after investigating her for days, he found that she was nothing like the stories. Xie Jingxing was perplexed and became even more suspicious of the Shen Miao who knew his Daliang secret.

But now he couldn’t bear to leave her.

When Iron Coat reported that she was drunk in Yanyu Pavilion, he went over quickly.

He stared at the woman in his arms. She was warm and even his heart was heated by a few degrees. Yet he felt strange, why did this posture seem so familiar as if he had done this before?

Where did he do this before? In a dream?

He hesitantly opened his mouth: “Shen Miao, had I… embraced you before?”

The crying ended abruptly.

Shen Miao looked up at him. In the moonlight, her red and swollen eyes were sparkling with the light of finding hope in despair. It was very moving.

Her arms stretched out to pull on his collar, bringing his face closer to hers and kissed him.

“You even kissed me like this,” she said.

Later, Xie was at a loss and could only promise to bring her to Daliang.

She and Xie Jingxing disappeared and let the people of Ming think that they had eloped.

But so what, once at the Daliang palace, the dream would be over.

In the journey of half a year, Shen Miao told Xie Jingxing told him everything, not sure if he believed her.

When she was done, Xie said nothing. But one night, he said to Shen Miao:

“The Daoist was wrong.”

“What?” Shen Miao asked.

“Ten thousand possibilities; and I will still choose you,” he smiled. He took the red string bracelet from Shen Miao’s wrist and put it on his own. “Hurry up, don’t let me wait for too long, Shen JiaoJiao.”

Xie listened to all this in stunned silence.

Shen Miao squinted her eyes at him. “In that dream world, you were like a butterfly looking for flowers everyday. You bullied me and did not believe in me. You doubted me and held me by the neck. Xie Jingxing, do you know what you did?”

Xie was silenced by her accusatory tone. After a while, he said: “That was my dream self, not me.”

“The dream you is also you!” Shen Miao insisted.

Xie hugged her and caressed her hair. “My dream self also believed you in the end. Brought you back to Daliang, shows that my heart only has you.”

While he stroked her hair, he continued: “But that guy was really good, you actually kissed him.”

Shen Miao: “…”

To be jealous of one’s ownself, perhaps only Xie Jingxing could do it.

“Since that is so, I have no choice but to plead guilty to the madam,” Xie Jingxing said and lifted her up. “To have offended the madam; I willingly accept any order from the madam today.”

‘Hey, Chu Yi and Shi Wu…”

“Let the wet nurse take care of them,” Xie Jingxing carried her off. Looking at her, he could not resist grinning, “Though the guy in the dream is hateful, but he was not wrong about one thing.”

Shen Miao looked at him. “What?”

“Ten thousand possibilities, I will still choose you, only you,” he said.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  17. w3irdg3m

w3irdg3m Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the extra. It's so sweet reading about them.

18. JuuHachi

JuuHachi Be My Glucose Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    I want someone to love me the way Xie Jing Xing loves Shen Miao ;w;
    Ten thousand possibilities and it's still me ;w;

Tsukkin likes this.
  19. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    I volunteer as tribute. Send pics pls.

Lyndai, Tsukkin, JuuHachi and 4 others like this.
  20. Hime03

Hime03 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This side story is so sweet.

Honestly both of them should thank Pei Lang, If he did not ask for her reincarnation, both to them might not have the ten thousand possibilities.

Dioning and Gum_Drops like this.