Recommendations Looking for cultivation novels what deconstruct they genre

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by omegadir, Sep 1, 2018.

1. omegadir

omegadir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read many cultivation novels, but most of them just seems to copies of one another, so in many cases I just can't bring myself to finish them. It's almost always (emphasis on "almost") 1 of 2 scenarios: 1) Some sort of unfortunate or/and miserable bastard starting at the bottom of power pole climbing at very top (usually some sort of god) through series of contrived coincidences (or like some say "luck"). 2) Uber talented or/and knowledgeable protagonist mow down almost anything in his path to some sort vague goal (become powerful, protect loved ones, gain something). 90% of bad guys in this works just arrogant people who don't tolerant any form of disrespect or disobedience (usually in form of propagandist) and deliver disproportionate retribution to anyone weaken the them. 5% is one dimensional villains who rob you, rape you and kill you (not necessary in that order) for the evulz just because. 1% is some sort evil Overlord in power who oppress and kill anyone to keep his power. The rest usually protagonist companions and nameless background.
    But recently I stumbled on novel "My Disciple Died Yet Again" and after reading it for couple dozen chapters I fell in love with it and beige read it to the end. Novel deconstruct many cliches of cultivation novels by making parody of them or showing how they would be seen by ordinary person from our world. It not perfect novel, there is are LOT of flaws but I overlooked them because this novel is "different". VERY short summary: the main character (woman) from our modern time summoned to another world in body of another person and must cultivate to survive. So far so generic, but there are BIG differences with others novel what I absolutely LOVE (which unravels with time). Here is LONG rant why I like My Disciple and hate normal cultivation novels (PROCEED ON YOUR DISCRETION):
    1) Main character cause of summoning. In most novels people who summoned just some unfortunate sods who happens to be in wrong place in wrong time or someone who meet some vague criteria for sole purpose of saving the day because no one in the world could be assed. Not in this case. Main perpetrator of summoning didn't choose heroine at random. He know her, her character, he know what he want her to do and help her from behind the scene.
    2) Cultivation. In most novel protagonist power up is main goal of narrative. There is always someone stronger then protagonist (and hostile to him) so he must always train, always seek treasures, always fight because he is protagonist. Our main hero too must cultivate, but to achieve her task (which not always clear) given to her by entity summoned her. She is given some sort of cheat in each her live (which is for most part some power or talent) but in most cases it can't help achieve her goals. Speaking of which.
    3) Protagonist methods. It doesn't matter which goals or intentions protagonist have in cultivation novels, in the end to achieve his goal he must stand at very top above everyone else, because only then there is nobody above him he can be sure what nobody can hurt him or his loved one. For that he must cultivate, fight and kill all his enemies (remember 96% of people protagonist meet are assholes). There is can't be negotiations or compromise, all or most of problems are resolved through violence. But here even then our heroine is powerful enough to achieve her task by killing problem she don't do it because its against her principles. She can be angry, exasperated and at her wits ends but murder is last option for her.
    4) Deconstruction of genre. Here is main catch of "My Disciple Died Yet Again": main heroine summoned in another world not with task of defeat some demon lord or stand at top of pyramid, but to "fix" some kind of bugs who threaten the worlds. The rub is all of this "bugs" in any other novel will be protagonist: poor boy who luckily founded cultivation treasure and climbed from very bottom, unjustly killed maiden who reincarnated 20 years in past and started her revenge, pure girl who trough her innocence charmed many good guys e.c. You named it and they have it. Then author take all of this protagonist stereotypes and mercilessly rip them to pieces. Through our heroine we see how most of so called "protagonists" can be little to no different then villains. How through sheer arrogance, self righteousness, protagonist centered morality and ignorance they don't make world are better place for anyone but themselves and they closed ones, for others they make it worse. Even then main heroine is powerful enough to simply kill this "bugs" she didn't do it. Then most protagonist don't bat an eye to rob someone for getting treasure to help them cultivate she stops and think. Why must so called path of cultivation or heavenly dao promote other to kill, rob and step on others just for are chance to climb another step to absolute power? Granted she has cheats but despite all the power she have she is still holding on her principles.
    I also read Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World and Grimgar of Ash what deconstruct isekai novel and very much like to find more, ESPECIALLY deconstruction of cultivation novels. Recommend please.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try The Human Emperor on Gravity. It is a Tang Dynasty historical novel first with cultivation having less priority. Army battles and genius MC, maybe you might like it

3. syahirkatang

syahirkatang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    akumetsu_F1, k1nk4 and grish99 like this.
  4. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also the novel you liked is not that good of a cultivation novel

Varno likes this.
  6. omegadir

omegadir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It not "good cultivation novel" its good "deconstruction" of cultivation novel. I said "here is are LOT of flaws but I overlooked them because this novel is "different"". Frankly I am sick and tired from endless parade of protagonists who for most part of novel climb power ladder just because there someone evil above them.

7. omegadir

omegadir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Aliumer

Aliumer Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Deconstructions of that sort are rare, I think. You could try "History's Strongest Senior Brother" and "History's Number One Founder", which are parodies, though I haven't read much of them myself.

If you'd like a different type of cultivation novel, however, you should definitely try "The Founder of Diabolism". It's a BL, but it's worth reading even for BL haters. The rough plot is that Wei WuXian, a famed master of demonic cultivation, who was allegedly cut down by the righteous cultivators in such a way that even his soul was thought to be scattered, wakes up in the body of a vengeful gay man who performed a dark ritual to call a dark spirit. Wei WuXian doesn't consider himself to be a dark spirit at all, so doesn't understand why he was called. While taking the revenge the man longed for, a strange demonic hand attacks the household and he's reunited with an old acquaintance.
    This is a mystery series above all else, with the characters working to piece together the vengeful corpse to uncover his identity and what happened to him. The readers are also to slowly uncover what really happened in the past, as Wei WuXian really isn't an evil being, and how the events of the novel came to be... The romance is slow and sweet, and the worldbuilding is strong to support the story. This author also really knows how to write for mood. When there's a frightening scene, I don't like to read it at night, and it's recommended you don't eat when there's a gore scene.
    In short, this is a cultivation novel not about cultivating or reaching the top, but about chasing the truth.

"The Scum Villain’s Self-Saving System" is another BL cultivation novel, which I feel is the best of its type - this sort of plot is common in BL (we have a few chapters of a GL with this plot type too). The MC wakes up in the world of a novel he was reading as one of the first cannon fodder villains, who had a particularly gruesome death. The system he's equipped with tells him that his job is to make the story better without breaking character; should he fail, he'll die. Therefore the MC, while playing the role as the first abusive teacher to the "trash to OP" protagonist, has to find a way to keep the plot on course while somehow convincing the protagonist not to kill him.

Similar but different is "The Villain’s White Lotus Halo", another BL, with few chapters right now. In this, the MC is a person who's reincarnated many, many times, always as a minor canon fodder villain who barely gets the chance to shine. His greatest wish is to become the main villain, to survive until the end of the work and show off his villainous ways. A worker at the reincarnation bureau sells him a "Fiend Halo", which is supposed to allow the great villain to escape danger in order to become a massive danger - and so the MC gladly reincarnates, striving for his dream. Unfortunately, what the worker accidentally gave him was actually a faulty "White Lotus Halo": the protection given to White Lotus female characters which makes everyone treat them as the purest of the pure, and makes everyone bend over backwards to protect and please them. Much to his confusion, while he tries to act villainous, various misunderstandings somehow occurred and the protagonist was painted as a villain instead.

Selenka and omegadir like this.
  12. omegadir

omegadir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I can see from synopsis its not deconstruction, but still not just another generic cultivation novels. I'll give it are try. Thank you

13. omegadir

omegadir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not deconstruction, BUT **** YEAH!!! Boy love? Frankly I don't care as long as writing is good. My Disciples is also have element of comedy, but I can't say its complete parody.Thank a lot!!!:)

Moonpearl likes this.
  14. Aliumer

Aliumer Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Strongest System
    The Gourmet of Another World
    The first one is a cultivation one but is super hilarious with a rally narcissistic mc
    The second one is also a really great one for those who are not into the whole cultivation thing..

15. omegadir

omegadir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for suggestion. I'll give it are chance.

16. autumnscarf

autumnscarf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you looking for deconstruction or parody?

I'd recommend Side Character Transmigrations (The Final Boss is no Joke) but it's more an all around parody of various light novel genres and the first two arcs aren't that great. You could skip directly to Arc 3 for cultivation parodies without missing too much.

You may also enjoy The Godsfall Chronicles. This is a nonstandard cultivation novel since it has a post-apocalyptic setting and the 'cultivation' is sci-fi oriented. Although the baddies are bad in it, it actually makes sense for them to be so evil since resources are so scarce. The female characters aren't 1 dimensional flowers who exist solely to be window dressing, and the MC isn't a prick out to step on the rest of the world. However, it's extremely fast-paced/action-oriented and it takes a few chapters to warm up to the initial characters imo, so whether or not it fits your requirements is up in the air.

17. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. omegadir

omegadir Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Parody could also be deconstruction. Take for example Grimgar of Ash and Gifting this world with blessing, one deconstruct isekai genre like realistic drama, another as parody. I prefer something serious but not over the top tragic, but such novels fairy rare so I take whatever I can get. Thank you for recommendation.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  19. Elkon

Elkon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Dao of Magic on RoyalRoad, pretty much a western guy gets transported into a cultivation universe and starts deconstructing all the cultivation stuff over hundreds of years to make a good cultivation method with minimal side effects, before finally trying to ascend and getting booted to a world that is literally someone's experiment by some super powerful b*stards that don't want to deal with him in their realm, which is where our story starts.

20. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Once Upon A Time, There Was A Spirit Sword Mountain. A story that takes Cultivation Novel Standards and reverses them to ask the question "Why does nobody do this?". MC tends to abuse an opening he finds to beyond breaking point, but the openings that he can find always differs, and how he can exploit it often relies on his allies.

DiXanthos likes this.