Is the current generation really that smart?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    hahaha your title speaks volumes mr. The Mood Breaker~

2. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    i've always seen it as an expansion of the gacha system. the reason it's always a japanese person is because they're like the 3*s of a premium draw. sure, there's the odd 4-5*, but most of the time it's nothing but 3* fodders.

i think a lot of the trouble with the isekai's MCs is that they're depicted with eidetic/perfect memory and life skills an untalented, unsociable neet would never even think about, much less learn well enough to use. especially when they're so dense it's a damned miracle they even know how to put their pants on right...

3. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you are someone that greatly prepare for your Isekai cases, that's where the "Cheats" come in to help you live in Isekai.

4. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

Not necessarily....There is data showing that increased consumption of sugar increases your odds of getting diabetes, since sugar was very expensive back then, you would likely not have developed it...that is assuming you are type 2, if you are type 1, then you'd have to send your parents into the past first, but then there would be a paradox....

5. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    The majority of people can't so much as light a fire without any tools. While some individuals might do well, the majority would likely die instantly without society

cap.toon and Traveling Chef like this.
  6. Unrivaledfury

Unrivaledfury Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what your country is, but people here don't rely on calculators ( Iam from India) unless it's 5 digit. Exceptions are computerizes shops which are very less in my area.
    But I have to say, the present generation is friggin smart. I am 22 yrs old. Let me tell you about my little cousin who is 14yrs old.
    I and my mom's put the little guy in cradle when he was only 2 yrs old, while my mom's was singing luluby for him, I was reading a Magazine. And my mom's suddenly noticed that his "LITTLE WORM" had transformed into "STRAIGHT CRAYON". When we checked his line of sight, his eyes were glued to the backside of the magzimag I was holding, where advert of Lingerie was displayed. We couldn't help ROFLing.
    When he was 10 yr old , he used to mentally solve maths easily. 3 digit ×2 digit multiplication were nothing to him. He used to square numbers till 4096.

That was the first time I was honestly scared of the present generation.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    MaliMi likes this.
  7. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    What use is a compass if you have nothing to go by in the first place?
    Well, at least you can avoid walking in a circle, but even then...

The dumb's story ended in the prologue

8. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    That depicted to transmigrated over in most cases certain hobbyists or able to conjure or making some semblance of modern physics based items that or modern chemistry like fatty soaps.
    The idea is the whole world population are so backwards that (sometimes just as stupid) the common sense and common knowledge is an instantaneous breakthroughs.
    That said i don't believe the medieval world population that fight mostly in melee can be out skilled and out smarted in said melee type of combat by modern age people.

9. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    Cars are a lot easier to build than pc's. I mean just producing a single transistor the size of a centimeter will take more time than your whole life.

10. roata11

roata11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you talking man, we can always scame people with some voodo magic

11. Ak0w

Ak0w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m learning about pyramid schemes for precisely that reason

Traveling Chef likes this.
  12. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    99.9% of people would die. ESPECIALLY weebs. Weebs cant do anything. Most weebs cant even light a fire without a lighter or a match. Weebs dont know how to hunt nor butcher animals. Weebs are mentally fragile and would die within a week. Unless you have plot armour, you are probably dead. On the offchance you get to town, you very likely have no special skills worth anything. Managing a business? Could see thar being passable. A Master's degree in English? Yea cuz these people speak English.

Shit is, you better have cheats cause no author will give you freebies and luck. Either that or not be stupid and only think inside of the box.

13. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    Op meant lack of immediate survival skills and knowledge not book smart kind of things.

14. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is relevant to the topic.

15. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    That guy would die.

16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I really love it when people think the laws of physics would work the same in a parallel world as they do in our world. Even if they did work the same, different composition atmosphere, difference in gravity and etc can have adverse effects on a lot of the things we take for granted in our knowledge.

Even if say everything was identical to our world and even if we knew how to build a lot of the stuff, it can still prove useless. There is a saying, the most dangerous knowledge is half-assed knowledge. You can end up using a material that has imperfections that you are not aware of and cause yourself and others harm. Only in novels is the MC able to magically get quality materials to make their stuff from.

That said, if you were going to time travel to an identical timeframe, US probably has it easy (unless you are in the wild west). Most of US history is immigrants, so being clueless is not such a big issue since pretty much everyone was. Considering that in the old days, less than 1% had higher education, you can easily pass off as someone who graduated a university in england. Prior to that, US was owned by native americans who didn't understand concept of deception and treated foreigners "relatively" well.

MaliMi and Traveling Chef like this.
  17. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why I will become a MC with a system !!! :cool::cool::cool:

18. reagents 11

Reading List:
    Link
    In any cases said transmigration story author would
    Lol whole USA is wild west with three faction of colonialists fight over the lands that inhabited by tough and fierce headhunters tribe. Which is why Britain felt very wronged by States independence because they'd really have spent lot of investment on the colony.

19. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah , but they don't travel back in time within their nation for the most cases, they travel to another world and back in their timeline.
    Sure, there are a few that travel back in Japan, usually to the Sengoku period, and they tend to always catch the interest of one of the Daiymos or other (usually Nobunaga).

If you actually wanted them to become a samurai and fight like one... they would need serious practice before the travel and would likely do some cultural gaffe unless they're also samurai wannabes.

But putting it nicely, they only mention the technology they remember or can figure out whenever they talk about technology, they never ever mention they have no notion of how to make unless it's like 'It's a pity I didn't learn how to make that'.

So instead of thinking 'How amazing they know that' think 'Let's check other useful technology they don't know and then cross it off this list as they might come up with some of it'

Traveling Chef likes this.
  20. iblis666

iblis666 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I'm physically handicapped I would be dead very soon after being transferred to another world. Now if I was given a healthy new body that is acclimated to the local environment and knew the local language I probably wouldn't have much problem living there. I have wilderness survival training, I know double entry accounting, i have killed and gutted animals, and with the help of merchant funding and a few different skilled workers I could build a rudimentary train among other things.

Ddraig, Darkanlan and Traveling Chef like this.