Is the current generation really that smart?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Sep 13, 2018.

1. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Why should they be a centimeter-sized, just create a castle-sized computer

Why would weebs have Master degrees in English of all things?

prongsjiisan likes this.
  2. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Cuz English degrees are kinda like participation trophies?

MaliMi likes this.
  3. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    thats kinda what I'm saying In a new world where your unsure up from down, NONE of the things we know here would be really useful. everything would be trial and error.

4. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically yes because of technology but actually not because of different other stuffs

5. MaliMi

MaliMi The Cookie Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    True enough.
    And that is why I love the Throne of Magical Arcana.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  6. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm type 1, have been since before I was 2 years old. So yeah, kind of unlikely to change. Though when I came down with it so did a decent amount of small children in the same area. So some studies are showing that type 1 in toddlers may be the product of a virus. So maybe back in time before virus was common could work, probably not likely though.

7. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I could enact some of the famous scams out there. I might also be able to establish huge ventures and make them a big success using modern management techniques as well as motivation techniques.

I might not be able to make cars or guns, but I will still have the knowledge of basic designs and architecture. Using this, I may be able to inspire the craftsmen of that time to work miracles for me.

As for the language, you can always learn. You can pretend to be mute at first and learn the language discreetly by listening or reading.

Where there's a will, there's a way, they say.

8. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

The main factor in type 1 afaik is genetics, so assuming no one in your family has it thus far (which I believe is the case, because if they did, you wouldn't even bring up the virus thing), it is likely that you have a rare type of diabetes that is similar to type 1, in which it was not your body that destroyed your beta, but something else....in this case, perhaps that virus?

9. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    When answers to exams were a simple search from a Sidekick phone since the 2000s
    of course this generation is smart

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    If we assume Ai-chan will be sent to the time where people still fight with spears and arrows, Ai-chan will probably do fine.

Ai-chan is pretty good with my hands, a passable cook (learned from mom, mom has a restaurant), a good tailor (learned it from mom, mom used to be a taylor), can do basic carpentring (learn from dad, he's a DIY guy) and can also scam people out of their money (Ai-chan used to work in retail). Ai-chan can butcher chicken and has also butchered cows before, too bad deer is so rare Ai-chan never had the chance to butcher one. Ai-chan can and has processed fish since Ai-chan grew up in a poor family so we couldn't go to supermarkets for readily processed fish. Ai-chan's only problem is the complete inability to distinguish between different herbs and mushrooms. So if Ai-chan got stuck in the forest, Ai-chan will have to test every food with the girlscouts way.

Ai-chan doesn't need 3 square meals a day. Ai-chan has gone through days eating only once even in my adult days. It's not because Ai-chan diets or any of that crap. Ai-chan is simply not interested in eating. You see, Ai-chan's taste buds aren't very developed having been raised in a poor family, so Ai-chan scoff at everyone being picky with food because Ai-chan can eat almost anything.

Being a girl scout and part of a mountain-hiking community, Ai-chan can cook with wood, start fire without using matches or lighters and even cook in the event there are no cooking utensils. Ai-chan remember when Ai-chan was like 14 years old, and the girl scouts went camping. The seniors made a game where they left the girls in a clearing at night with eyes closed and not allowed to move or speak. At some point Ai-chan got so bored, Ai-chan left the clearing, started a fire and ate bamboo shoots boiled in bamboo. The seniors panicked when they realized Ai-chan wasn't there and scolded Ai-chan when did come across the smoke.

Ai-chan doesn't need a bed either. Ai-chan can sleep anywhere. Doesn't need a pillow either, since Ai-chan usually sleep in Soldier Sleep style. Ai-chan doesn't know how to make computers, but Ai-chan doesn't really need computers. Ai-chan also can make makeshift protective gear from tropical stuff.

Ai-chan doesn't think Ai-chan will be in trouble for looking different. Ai-chan may look like a chinese merchant's cute daughter, but the people in this area in the past weren't racist as ethnic identities weren't very developed back then. See, Ai-chan will be just fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Darkanlan

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes it's genetic, other times it's not. For instance when I was diagnosed there were around a dozen other small children diagnosed at the same time and all of us lived within a mile or so of one another. By same time I mean within a couple of days. They're typically seen as cluster patterns for diabetes, which is why there's the theory a virus is behind it. Otherwise it'd be impossible for such things to occur naturally.

12. Darkanlan

Reading List:
    Link
    Always remember if you don't know if it's edible or not, test it on small woodland creatures near you. If they eat it and don't get sick / die, you're probably in the clear on most things. Also avoid mushrooms in general, eating fungus in a time without antibiotics is just asking for trouble

Ai chan likes this.
  13. PotatoZero

Reading List:
    Link
    Not just technology, current generation also get better nutrition so that they can develop more of their potential than in the past

14. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Given Time and determination. We can do basically almost anything. Sure It wouldn't work at first. But with our knowlegde I believe we can create something that exist now from scratch.
    Only if only you have someone or a group of people that isekai's with you. Because our strength is collective knowlegde. Not individual prowess.

Even when we are throw to nowhere, our stone tools is lot much better than our ancestors, we can reach into metal age in one generation, even into industrial age.

You'll became a good queen candidate..

15. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Well currently, I think I'd be pretty useless.

It'd take me a few weeks to months to get used to it, but then I'd have to learn how to start thinking in a more primitive and constructive way, so that I can use the knowledge that I've learned so far to actually do shit.

16. Unrivaledfury

Unrivaledfury Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I see, I read only the title and not the comments sorry about that.
    Well, I believe none of us will survive despite our survival skills as disease will kill us all. Born in poor family, A-Z skills for living alone and surviving have naturally come to me ( includes Butchering, fishing, cooking with wood, cleaning, hunting, farming, even small scale masonary). But I am from south India. I had to go to North India for my job. I thought I will do good as I could survive everywhere. Boy I was wrong! Just 2 months I suffered from liver failure and I was in critical condition, hospitalized.
    It doesn't matter how good you are, If your body (internally) cannot adapt to new environment, then you are dead.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    reagents 11 likes this.
  17. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that would depend on whether I can understand the language used in those ancient times. If I can get past the language barrier, things would suddenly become a lot easier. The thing is that just having a high school level of knowledge would already make people geniuses in ancient times. If you have knowledge of fields of studies at a bachelor degree level or higher in university, you would become a sage in ancient times. This is particularly true in fields such as engineering, science and business. It is also worth taking note that you do not neccessarily have to know how to make things in ancient times to gain an advantage. If you can prove that you are wise enough to the influential people of those times which is not hard actually, you can easily get them to sponsor you the funds and manpower to make certain inventions. With this in mind, even an avarage high school student can achieve great things in ancient times. They simply have to get past the language barrier and find a way to get their ideas across to the influential people of the past. These are the reasons why possessing modern knowledge is a cheat in ancient times.

18. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Language can be learned, but assuming you know the language and as long as you are not in the middle of a super hostile enviroment most people wont have much problem

19. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s my point, we do have much information that you know about them but can’t do them!! Once you r in that other world, it’s all about what you got in that brain of your.

Haha—I say that’s correct. Even with a nursing degree, a nurse can’t just produce her own medicine from scratch. Even when I correct, many of my product aren’t from scratch: my seasoning, the ingredients like noodles, and so much.

I disagree. Many concepts r lost and heck, many American don’t even know their own history even after high school. For instance, I know ww2 happened. When? Idk. What are the details? Uhhhh... What is the most important battles? How many lives were lost? The list goes on.

So no, unless you’re that 1% that dig books 24/7 and memorize everything. The problem we have in education is learning n using. We could learn it, lose it, and never use it. That’s high school right there. I could never understand why alergba even matter or why I study so hard for my pre-calculus. I got a final score of B, but my final was an F. Couldn’t understand why this is that and why that lead to this. My math teacher was so angry at me for asking how one lead to another that he exploded and toss my paper off to the side and stormed off. Although he came back n apologized, I had destroy my mood to understand n learn. While my history teacher...he made history sound so mediocre that I learn nothing aside from knowing that two big war was found, the two bi bad guys’ names, and different time periods. We were taught the white English history that led them to America. I actually didn’t care for history until college when I could actually understand why history is important—n that something I had to study n mark well in a test.

Idk why your generation is so smart, but my little sister is a slow learner. She asks for help everyday with her homework. I can’t do anything about it because I am just as bad. If the answers were wrong, she would come home and tell me I give her the wrong answers when clearly I already state idk the answer. N math is her hardest subject. I can help her in a lot of stuff—just not math beyond elementary. Heck, I’m even struggling to teach her math when she was in elementary. N I don’t give her a calculator although that would be helpful.

The Native American treated foreigners pretty well? Uhhh- that would depends on the tribe you meet and the moral of their chief. They wouldn’t treat you well if they weren’t in good standing with the “invaders.” Even if they were, it doesn’t mean they would help you.

N no, no one would have it easy. Those time r pretty harsh with child labor, crowded living, and working long hours to make anything. Gender is still a big issue. Not a good time to be a woman.

That depends on where u r and your social status. Some country think USA is a rich country, but we r just like any other country. We have kids who lack nutrition and kids who have to be parent because their parents r too busy to keep a roof over their head—which is pretty common anywhere. We suck at helping our people, but patrol the world as a world leader. N did you see the lunch menu for our k-12 public school? They r unhealthily!!!!

I have a BA, but it is not anywhere near a science, engineering, or business degree. A high school degree won’t do much, at least not the high school education I receive in Ca, USA. A college degree... probably not either. We r never or rarely taught to create anything from scratch!!! We master in compartmentalizations!! That my friend, makes our lives easier for us but in a case where you unexpectedly travel dimensionally or society falls apart, you wouldn’t know where n how to get raw materials unless you posses the knowledge of the foundation. Business has high potential, and probably the best way to go assuming there is no language barrier.

insania likes this.
  20. PotatoZero

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course I'm talking in general, I've no idea how people cannot see that such statements always need to be taken generally..