Discussion Guan Zhong: "Qidian actually owns the translations to the 20 WW-licensed novels."

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DavidCook, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    them sheep are crazy. call on Their broken promises and the unpaid ww armada goes berserk.

or even point that Their TL quality is low on certain chapters and novels

alamptr and AliceShiki like this.
  2. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean you could have named the thread at least, no need to actually link it.
    It is good that you included it now, but I'm just saying that it is pretty bad in general to start off a thread with quotes without directing people to where they can find the context of said quotes, it sets the whole discussion off to a bad start.

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN likes this.
  3. MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN Planet sized warrior Tony without wisdom teeth

Reading List:
    Link
    Surprised it isn't merged.

4. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ll repeat what people have said to me:

Unless there is proof (copy of contract) between WW and TL that say TL give WW the full right of the translation (not only pulishing right), then even if RWX himself say that they own the right, it still unproven statement, only since RWX have a better reputation so we trust him more.

For me, if there is no proof then I’ll use a default assumption which is TL have the right and WW only have the publishing right, so in this case QI stole those translation.

As people have pointed several time, this is a great ground for QI to kill WW by suing them as they “sell” something that they don’t own. Don’t know why they are not doing that

5. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can’t think how this relevant with the thread?

6. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, such amazing deducation capability.

Never can I link this kind of thought to GZ farewell letter.

Amazing, I think even sherlock holmes can’t do that.

You should apply to FBI, they need you to find Trump’s tax report

7. Chivas

Chivas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So why not take QI to court?

8. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who says we won't be? Here's the thing - a lawsuit is meant to be coercive in nature, to force a change of behavior (plus damages); from my talks with lawyers any final ruling (after all appeals et. al.) is likely to happen after we finish all/most of the twenty books, making it a moot point. Yes, there are damages, but those damages will simply continue to keep accumulating and we can collect later - it's not like they are going away! As we finish more and more of these books, WW's position (both from a business standpoint and from a legal standpoint) will only continue to grow stronger. Like I said - all of us are looking forward to finishing off these books and continuing our expansion with our other partners (aka, the rest of the entire Chinese webnovel industry).

As for the rest, like I said, disgruntled ex-assistant whose primary responsibility was to respond to emails, help translators with problems, and do backend admin stuff on my behalf. Had nothing to do with any of the important stuff like dealing with rights holders or payments or finances, in part because he wasn't interested (wrt copyrights) and in part because I had my reservations (wrt payments/finances), which I think have been proven correct. Didn't want to discuss this stuff because I prefer to keep personal (and personnel) issues private, but since it came up... *shrug*

Anyhow, translators were kept abreast of every part of the initial copyright discussions with QI and are aware of the terms that affect them. Qidian, in turn, did a full due diligence on us when we were in early investment talks, which meant they knew every single thing about us and any agreements we had with translators. Just more sock puppetry.

Rumby and Chivas like this.
  9. Chivas

Chivas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s good WW will take QI to court in future! So for novel like ED, which has like over 1500 chapters left, do you have to wait for it to finish before you take QI to court? At the rate of publication, that would be over 2 years right? And some other books don’t have regular schedule like ED, so you will probably have to wait longer than 2-3 years to sue QI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.