Discussion Magic The Gathering - Arena (Beta)

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    So recently started reading The Amber Sword. I'd not given it it's fair chance and have picked it up and dropped it only on the first chapter multiple times over the last few years and recently FORCED myself to read past chapter one and straight to where I left off... chapter 2! After reading past all the stuff and making it to the actual interesting stuff by like chapter 3 I really got into it. Go figure right?! I know I was surprised too. Well I binge read it for about a week and got to where he started to learn about Plainswalkers and what not and it got me figuring to wanna play MTG. I'd played the game on xbox (first exposure) and some on steam but never got into it. I figured even if I got into it now all the games besides that one puzzle quest / bejeweled type mobile game thing is the only working Magic the Gathering type game worth playing... But low and behold right after I decide to put TAS on the back burner I see a random advertisement for Magic the Gathering Arena Beta! What a great coincidence!

Magic the Gathering Arena (Beta)

I recently by coincidence, as those who read the spoiler would know, stumbled on this game by chance and have been playing it the last 2 days. I like it and think its really well done. I'm not a MTG player or vet but for a beta I feel it does better than most card based games already.

I wanna hear some vets and those who have played this beta to share their opinions if possible. I'm a noob to MTG (basically anyway) so I'd like to hear what others have to say.

I will say though that I think the Xbox MTG 2015 or 2012 one had a better explanation on how the game worked as MTG-A doesn't explain everything and if I didn't have vague fractured memories from the ones I played years ago and the puzzlequest mobile game I wouldn't have a clue about some of the mechanics having gone through the tutorial.

2. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I also wanted to bring some awareness to the game incase some loyal MTG players happened to miss its release or something

3. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    ... link the fucking game, or give the full title and release date. on steam i can find nothing

4. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not on steam it's from the wizards.com site you know the people who make D&D / Pathfinder and other such games or distributes them? Idk but here is the link

https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgare...rthstoneLAL-Banner-exact-300x250-aob-fan-i03a

I know you're eager for the game but no reason to be rude lol I just forgot to link it earlier my bad

Glaerun and Silver Snake like this.
  5. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    i know that this is a stupid question but does the game have any micro transactions like other online TCGs? or can play it without spending any money?

6. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    Okuri Ookami likes this.
  7. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    It has micro but it's not bad, very minor. It gives way more options to get rare and limited cards even allowing you to choose which you want for yourself

8. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks might as well check it out

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  9. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    deck building is so confusing. they need to fix that <.<
    im using preset decks now because im too annoyed with the deck builder design. cards are jumbled in an unknown order. addition of random colour cards not selected tick me off. and too few cards visible to make a reasonable map of 'oh this and this work well'

10. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No offense here, but if someone is a "loyal MTG player", there's no way he/she wouldn't know of this. People like this (generally) check WOTC's sites regularly.

I've heard of Arena before, and will definitely check it out once it's released. It'll have some competition from Gwent and that DOTA card game (can't remember the title) though.

11. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Their keyword search is a fucking mess not only that but some cards disappear entirely, tried saving up for a Varska scheming or Regal only to find the cards that allows you to pull them out of the deck just up and were nowhere to be found I had to look them up to make sure I wasn't crazy. There are also sever lagging and time is rushed at odd times while you can set up an infinite combo that lasts 15 min until time runs out... I had it happen to me. Might have been longer all I know is that the best enemy monsters toughness went to negative 20 while my health was like negative 100 if it actually showed as I was being bombarded

But it's still in beta and is a good game. You actually get cards and decks daily. Booster packs are given out like candy

12. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Played Gwent it's grttget a massive update that might change everything

I haven't tried the DotA one

13. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    i just wish they fixed the fucking deck builder.
    for the timer.. dont get me fucking started

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  14. prORsomething

prORsomething Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My friend introduced me to MTGA a little while ago.

I've had a lot of fun playing this, although I don't really play Magic in real life.
    So far, matchmaking has been good for me. I usually get to play against someone in less than 20~ seconds.

The missions are pretty fun to do (although I don't like playing green or black) and they give you a free deck every day.

I recommend saving enough gold (i.e. 5000) to play the Draft matches. They give you 3 + 1 (I think?) fifteen card packs straight up. This might seem like a loss at first, since each card pack is 1000 gold in the shop. However, Draft forces you to choose cards to make a deck to play with.
    The cards you use get added to your collection, so you're basically picking the cards you want instead of relying on chance.

The matches are fairly quick and fun, especially since I like to play aggressive red or white decks.
    My only gripes so far include the deck builder and lack of social play functionality (e.g. matches against friends).
    I can see myself playing this on and off in the future.

15. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yeah the deck builder is stupid
    Yep a friend feature would be nice

Didn't know that you kept the cards you pick in draft or I ewoul have saved up thanks for the info

16. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    oh rioght, is the rank level also fucked for you? i win 3 in a row, am still beginner 4. one defeat and i lose all progress

17. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    The first day I played it my rank went up but after that I couldn't move up anymore my rank only moved downward till rank 4 yesterday after 5 wins in a row I saw a move up by a little

18. DZ_Spellcaster

DZ_Spellcaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    coughmtgforgecough....

19. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still waiting for an MTG or Yugioh VR card game... one day...

20. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? Better get that cough checked if you even doing it virtually
    Yeah... Gl with that. VR is at the point it could fail at any moment. Like no general population will buy an rift or vice at most they will get a ps VR.

I'd put close to no money on AR unless you know they qawa to count on novelty factor of original Yu-Gi-Oh fans.

Feels like forever since anyone has said Hololense

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018