Would you want to be part of this royal family?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by AIm21, Nov 4, 2018.

1. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So in my Web Novel I am attempting to create the most complicated and convoluted Royal Family succession Arc in existence.

As my story takes place in a Fantasy world that is the equivalent to the 21st Centuries in our World in a Kingdom that is vaguely similar to America in our world, but only vaguely, as the Kingdom exist on a continent that is still 95% unexplored due to the monsters to the west of the Kingdom Borders being unbelievablely powerful that even advance magic firearm in our and my. World will do squat to the average monster beyond the Great Walls protecting the Kingdom from the Ethereal Wilderness of the Dark Continent. So my Kingdom like America has a vaguely similar exceptionalism mindset about themselves for being able to survive on this continent as the biggest power that border three weak neighbors and being one of the top Great Power internationally. But all this is just basic background information that you don't need to know more.

As what I want to ask is do you think these rules for succession in the royal family are stabilizing or destabilizing to the Kingdom situation? Do you wish to be born as a twenty first century fantasy royal with these rules?

The modern rules for Succession to the throne of the Kingdom are as follows.

1. Only 'The Strongest' Heir can succeed the Throne and the strongest is decided either by a Judgement Duel, Royal Tournament, or Personal Achievement.
    2. Only Royal Children born with magic can succeed the Throne so any other forms of supernatural power like Aura, Psionics, Grace, etc are out of the question.
    3. Only legitimate children of the Royal family with two royal parentage having the title of Queen/King and Royal Consort can they be a candidate to ascend the Throne. So all concubine or mistress Children's are bastards with no royal claim.
    4. There must be six or more qualify candidates for the throne to start a royal tournament and so to participate as a qualify candidate in the Royal Tournament they must have a noble faction comprising of 30 nobles on there side otherwise even if they are a legitimate royal Heir they will have to forfeit there right to the throne. But if there is an legitimate royal heir that has a majority of the nobles on there side on there side then that heir will be given the title of crown prince.
    5. If there is a crown prince or princess, but there still being apparent legitimate royal heirs they hold the right to challenge him or her to a Judgements Duel and try to sway the noble majority to there side by proving that they are stronger instead of the crown prince or princess that last until the day of his coronation.
    6. If there is only one apparent legitimate royal heir then he will succeed the throne by default, but if there is two to five apparent legitimate royal heir and neither has a noble majority faction, but not enough for a royal tournament being hosted that require six or more qualify candidates then succession will be decided by there personal achievements at monster slaying beyond the Great Wall in the Ethereal Wilderness.
    7. All candidate that forfeit there right to the throne and bastards with no rights will either have to commit suicide, marry a commoner, adopted by a noble family, or sent beyond the Great Wall in the Ethereal Wilderness to claim land from the monsters for the Kingdom and if successful in there endeavor plus raising a settlement then they can be made into a non-hereditary noble with no relation to the crown, but depending on personal achievements and loyalty they can be rewarded with a hereditary title and govern the land.

So do you think these rules are crazy and do anyone of you wish to be born into the royal family with these rules.

P.S. Why Magic is the prime determining factor for royalty is because once an heir become the Monarch they will need to be able to wield magic in order to activate [The Throne of Democles] to protect and expand the Kingdom as a True Monarch.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Beltran likes this.
  2. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to.

Royalty in that state is basically presidential candidates that fights for votes with their lives against crazy strong monsters.

If you win,all is good,but if you lose,you basically got sent to your death.

And a country will be destroyed if the economy is unmanaged or managed poorly.

3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd obviously rather not be born into a competitive royal family surrounded by schemers and disloyal hanger-ons, no.

I'd probably die, y'know?

Since you asked, the whole "strongest person rules" thing is fundamentally unsustainable, unrealistic and downright bad for the country. That's reality. For fiction, it's totally perfect and every other novel on Qidian does it.

4. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Although I say strongest, but it really means who survived the longest to get to the throne.

Lianna likes this.
  5. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's quite the statement there
    and quite literally untrue, there are dozens of other novels readable online that have succession rules on a similar level
    even one of my own private works has a similar premise

EDIT: I didn't read correctly, so I didn't see the 'attempting'.
    dafuq is that supposed to be? do you mean duel?
    and how shoould they duel? fight? have a debate promising the nobles things to get their vote? sounds like bs to me

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    It sounds way more difficult than the line of succession of the War of Roses

7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's still not great. A King should select his heir based on their capability - not in strength or survival but in ruling and management - *and* their character. A straight competition just ends up promoting the lucky, the militantly strong and the morally defunct. People who will be controlled by the nobility, people who will make selfish and poor decisions as a ruler, people who will only harm the Kingdom. I mean, those are the kind of problems a monarchy faces in general, anyway, though.

The problem with inheriting authority is that you may often simply not deserve it.

The competition just highlights the problem by making it impossible for the King to deliberately select his most capable child.

8. Ophis_Trihexa

Ophis_Trihexa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's anything like America I expect all the heirs to kill themselves and a politician will reign supreme in the end.

I would say that it is most likely going to draw from great Britannia from code geass.
    In which case the heirs use slaves from other countries to fuel their wars.
    Or this big ole country will destroy itself with civil war the politician wins and every other country invades for a slice of pie.

Adding modern magic we have mahouka, so swap nukes for magic nukes the novel will not last long before someone goes scorched Halloween. I believe America likes Halloween so multiple Halloweens.

The politician at the end will either be the type of person with snake eyes.
    Or the politician will be a religious fanatic like that GOT guy.

DiabolicGod likes this.
  9. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't

The very notion that a tournament would decide the future ruler of pwerfull nation would be unrealistic and honestly quite dumb. It would be odd to consider that this form of succession could have continued for an extended period of time without one civil war and warring between princes.

Quick question: How would you justify the lack of fighting and destabilization of the nation that would appear when princes battle for the throne?

10. PoopyDoopy

PoopyDoopy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if I get my plot armor and loyal maids :)

DiabolicGod likes this.
  11. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    being royalty is too bothersome. i'd leave and do my own thing elsewhere.

12. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The tournament is only hosted with the condition above as a formal Tournament with spectators from all side watching them to see who wins and will be the next King. This is to prevent more shadowy manipulation from having so many prince's or princess with the right to the throne and compelling the Nobles to rebel on their order. So Nobles will be more like placing bets down on which horse is most likely going to reach the finish line and not actively side with a prince or princess that lost the throne and use them as justification to replace the current monarch.

13. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish there was a tl;dr. The rules need to be more concise. Even after reading through the rules, I don't understand how these rules are made for stability. How would anyone who's part of the royal family stay on the throne? This seems more like an excuse plot for a different main character. If you want a throwaway character who's there to say "slap my face", then I guess I'm in. :hmm:

Beltran likes this.
  14. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The royal family just need to have the blood that descended from the first monarch and when they win over there brothers and sister they will inherit the royal name and the losers will have to get a new surname for themselves.

15. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope as being a king or a queen mean being the strongest candidate, not the most competent one.
    It's easy to see what a serie of incompetent rulers did to royalties all around the world, they either disapeared or became decorum only figure heads.
    Hard to justify them having still any significant political power in a world with a long history if their throne right are determined by being strong only, a perfect recipe for a disaster I would say... A figure head with a lot of mana would be enough to sit in the throne, ruling the country should be done by a more competent person (a prime minixter or a great chancellor like in a constitutional monarchy for exemple).

16. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Question do youre gratest country in the world use different measures system than rest of the world (rest have the same system)?
    And fck this i want to be a son of a wealthy merchant

Beltran likes this.
  17. VannVann

VannVann [Drained] 《Worn Out》 GM

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I poison everyone and take the throne? No? Then I'll kindly not be born one but if I have to I think I'll try to claim new land and do research. Even as a bastard I can do that much. Let the freak siblings sicc themselves

18. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    How would bets and rules deter a faction of powerful nobles from using all means in their hands to put their prince on the throne.

I thing you have overlooked many things and should consider using some other method different from a tournament to be honest.

And furthermore, it doesn't answer how it would deter a prince that has amassed enough support to simply ignore the existence of a tournament, nor does it explain why a system of attaining successorship exists that for some reason appear to disregard the most competent and instead favors the strongest prince. That argument would actually be a good reason for the nobility to rebel and instigate others to replace the current ruler with their own, for the good of the people of course.

19. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I decided to write the tl;dr. Here it is.

1. Heir that win's duels, tournament, or achieves something extraordinary is called "The Strongest". Most likely candidate.
    2. Heir must be able to use magic. 2nd most likely candidate.
    3. Must be offspring of King/Queen and their official wife/husband. 2rd most likely candidate.
    4. Crown prince is decided by majority of support by nobles. Tournament exists for children with more than 30 backers. 4th most likely candidate.
    5. Candidates can duel other candidates through "judgement duels", whatever that means, for nobles. 5th most likely candidate.
    6. If there's no candidate backed by more than 30 nobles, then personal achievement is what decides the next heir. 6th most likely candidate.
    7. Children who are eligible for candidacy can forfeit their right to heir. The alternatives are: death, death by wilderness, and death by obscurity. Survival is optional.

joey183 likes this.
  20. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you read the rules? As the it is stated in Rule 4 that if there is a majority in the nobility that sided with one prince then he will be the crown prince.

The tournament is only hosted when there is six or more candidates for the throne. Which is a rare scenario to ever happen, but it did.