Heaven's Will: Too much of a rip-off? Should I change the name?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by scribbledoutname, Nov 4, 2018.

1. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know where to post this xD

I'm writing a xuanhuan story, and I want to use the term Heaven's Will, (a) because it sounds cool and (b) because it's the most accurate term. I don't want to sound like I'm ripping off Emperor's Domination, though, because I'm not -- I was actually inspired by ISSTH (and a bunch of other series ofc) :blobneutral:

In Emperor's Domination (minor spoiler) the Heaven's Will is an accumulation of the power of a generation, which Immortal Emperors can tap into to empower their abilities. Lots of geniuses enter a cruel competition to gain its acknowledgement, "shoulder" it, and become an Immortal Emperor.

In my story, there are many universes called heavens, and each heaven has a will. Whoever seizes control of that heaven's will can dictate how it behaves. So seizing a heaven's will in my story doesn't work like Emperor's Domination. When the term is capitalized, as in Heaven's Will, it's people referring to their particular heaven's will.

Our world belongs to the Shattered Heaven. A long time ago, our heaven was one of the most powerful heavens, but a group of rulers from other heavens attacked our ruler and used a forbidden technique to kill him. Our heaven's will -- which was fused with him -- shattered. As a result, our universe doesn't produce spiritual energy, and there are no more cultivators or spiritual plants. In fact, our universe is wounded to the point where its will actively leeches energy to try to repair itself, and even powerful cultivators are scared to visit. It's slowly dying. The general consensus is that unless you've reached an unfathomable level, you'll be sucked dry in seconds and become a mortal. Our heaven's inhabitants had no choice but to rely on mundane technology, and all this stuff about magic and immortals became myth.

So, yeah. What do you guys think? Should I keep the term? I feel like it should be okay because every series has stuff about the will of the heavens, not just ED. At the same time, ED is so popular that it's naturally the first thing people will think of when they hear "seizing Heaven's Will".

EDIT: Thanks to whatever mod moved this to the right place!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Bad Storm likes this.
  2. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember that one novel where the MC whips the Heaven's Will into an obedient subordinate, I think. Which one was that?

scribbledoutname likes this.
  3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just keep it. Not everyone has read Emperor's Domination and the term is rather generic if you're trying to ask what story it should belong to. Worst comes to worst, just credit ED as a source of inspiration.

4. scribbledoutname

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? :blob_pompom: I'm not sure, but if other series have used it then that's a HUGE relief!

5. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should keep it. From what you've shared, the term was well integrated into the story so it seems fine to use it. Though, I don't read much of the genre, there's an abundance of similar terms that I don't think people will be fussy much on what you used.

6. scribbledoutname

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a tonne, guys :blobok: I was worried because it fits so well. I'll keep it the way it is!

Silver Snake likes this.
  7. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That should be "The Strongest System".

Also, to answer the OP. Heavens Will is generally used A LOT, so I wouldn't worry about a rip-off, if it fits it fits.

Terepi and scribbledoutname like this.
  8. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds interesting. Do it. It doesn't really matter if a phrase sounds similar to another phrase, if you think it fits then it does. You are the author of your story, and quite frankly, if you are going to go out of your way just make sure you don't copy anyone elses wording, then you will never be able to effectively write your story.

Edit: My grammar sucks.

9. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, even if it is not called Heaven's Will, stories like History's Number One Founder include a Peak Existence that is regarded as the essential inheritor of the heaven's and is the only one that can be considered ascended or whatnot. It has been a while since it was explained.

But most stories will include something that will organize the martial realm as a being of Order, but the times I have read of it, they tend to be also a limiter, a thing that makes it difficult for others to surpass as everyone is a part of it.

It can also be seen as a metaphorical representation for society. Becoming Immortal can be seen as a selfish and inhuman act, much like becoming a monster or demon. You must go against the heavens, blah blah blah.

However, I see it as stripping away one's humanity. Some novels, like ISSTH, include this aspect quite well.

10. HeroBrian_19

HeroBrian_19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it works, don't need to be to fussy about terms like these. People will get what you mean, especially if it is used in the correct context for your novel. Please do send a link to your novel once you decide to start posting chapters (RRL is a good place to start if you dont already know that, silly me :p)!

11. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    or you can say “Heavens Creed” Just word it out differently. But I agree just keep it as it is, so many novels have overused at least one thing, wouldn’t hurt to put just Heavens will...

12. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is actually very similar to the otherverse lords in Desolate Era.
    An otherverse is a miniature universes created by the Autarchs, (very high level cultivators) which can be bound by a weaker cultivator to get a huge boost in power, and almost absolute dominion while they are within that otherverse. Of course the Autarch can still easily kill them.

13. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    The names is so overused that nobody would care

14. scribbledoutname

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm too scared to read that spoiler (I stopped at Volume 13 of DE ages ago because I caught up... it was my one of my favourites, and I've been planning to re-read it from the beginning now that it's complete).

I'm not TOO scared of this kind of an overlap though since (like the others mentioned) most universes have some sort of a ruler... I was more worried about the wording since using the exact same words can make it seem like you're being super lazy and just grabbing somebody else's idea.

In any case I think I'll start my re-read of DE soon so I can add some differences. This stuff won't become relevant for a while, I just like to plan ahead so everything comes together properly. And ofc thanks!!:blobmelt:

15. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    99+% of the genre is outright theft combined with standard tropes. You'll be fine

16. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want the cold hard truth, true originality does not exist it is a myth. All things are derived from other things, derived from other things. That is what creativity is, taking elements of inspiration, and reconstructing them in new innovated ways. So if you want to be sure your idea is original just ask yourself, did I get my ideas after being inspired by something else, or did I abotairly decide to create something exactly like something else just because I thought it would be popular.

(PS. The last one is like 99% of Isekai, and Xianxia authors.)

17. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually whatever they're called, they will go to the same point which's The Power of Rule (Law). In MW it's called Heavenly Dao

18. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    If you ask whether it's okay to keep the name you have chosen for your novel, the answer is always yes. It's your novel and the name on the cover can't be accepted as plagiarism, unless you specifically plagiarize commonly known stuff, such as Harry Potter into Harry Potty or Starship Troopers into Starship Bloopers.

However, plagiarism rules is not relevant when talking about novel titles. You can't be prosecuted even if you blatantly rip-off another novel's name. The only thing you need to consider is the market presence, basically, if you're a nobody and your novel title is a generic name people have been using for years, chances are, nobody can read it because nobody can find you. If your title makes use of the fans of another novel that has nothing to do with your book, that's pretty much free publicity. Nobody will care that the name you use hints at someone else's novel.