Would you want to be part of this royal family?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by AIm21, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure why my eyes decided to look past rule 4, my bad haha
    EDIT;
    But then it would mean that it is the nobility that chooses the future king, that leaves the majority of the nations power in their hands not the king. It would consequently mean that all future princes, and even kings need to be in the favor of the nobility as they possess the power to chose the future king. It would be familiar to the period called "adelsvælden" in danish history where it was the nobility that choose the king.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    AMissingLinguist likes this.
  2. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Rule 1 probably overule rule 4 as in numbered rule systems it is usually standard to give the first rules in the list priority, unless they are clearly listed in text as conditionnaly inclusive or exclusive, and any valid candidate (as long as there is less than 6 candidate) could just go to the actual crown prince, duel him/her hard in the face, and use the first rule to get the crown without any care about noble support, so you should rewrite the first rule.

3. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    4th rule only applies when there are six or more apparent legitimate royal heirs that has a noble faction, a noble faction need to have 30 nobles to be consider a faction, so it isn't like there is only a tournament for any heir with 30 nobles, but enough heirs to have a faction of there own to call for the start of the tournaments.
    5. Judgment Duels are only when a Crown Prince is chosen due to them having a majority of Nobles in the Kingdom on there side, but the other legitimate heirs with a chance for the throne aren't happy of the crown prince being chosen and want to challenge the crown prince to a formal duel in front of the Kingdom nobility to show that they are the strongest to sway the crown prince majority to change sides or remove support for him and make the crown prince lose the title to start a different contest to claim the throne like the royal tournament if there is enough candidate or personal achievement if there is not, but it is possible to win the duel and the nobility won't budge on there chosen prince.

Ah I should had specify the other rules are an extension to rule 1 that explains possible scenerio for the conditions of rule 1 being met to succeed the throne, but I did not want to make it super long to read so I broke it down into multiple rules that build on one another.

It has always been the Nobility that chooses the King as the saying goes if you lose the support of the court you are no longer a king.

Also if you read rule 5 and 6 then you would know you only need to have a faction of nobles(30 Nobles at the minimum to form a faction) to succeed the throne with personal achievement when there five or less qualify princes or a royal tournament when there are six or more prince's if a majority don't side with one prince to make him the crown prince. Plus the Nobility in my world can come from the Commoner Class if the condition were met for them to enter the Nobility either by military achievement or business excellence. But those who come from the commons only get non-hereditary titles unless they prove themselves to the king to grant them hereditary status. So common people has somewhat of sway on who become kings as well. Especially in the time period that this Kingdom is taking place which is similar to ours.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2018
  4. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    What if the king can't produce an heir?
    And why does these rules of succession even exist?

5. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I'd say no.

First of all, it too complicated of a system in a too complicated world. We all know that big countries need stability the most. It does not matter if the country is strong when it is unstable.

Secondly, the country is weak. It may be one of the strongest amongst humans, but it's relatively weak when you add the monsters to the mix. Instead of focusing on putting onto the throne the chosen prince or whatever you call them, the nobles or people of authority should focus on strengthening themselves. I mean, what if a monster wave suddenly happens, right?

Thirdly, just because one is strongest, it doesn't mean the he has the capability to lead the country to prosperity. Everyone has their own strengths. By pitting the capable people/heirs against one another, you are cutting of the possible good synergy between them. Not only that, you're putting them at unnecessary risks. What if the supposedly best strategist of the country was born on such generation and he died while trying to gain achievements? It is such a loss.

To sum up, I don't want to be involved in a world where a fish is judge by its ability to climb a tree.

6. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if a King cannot produce an Heir then the tree just back up one step with the surviving sibling from before he was king taking his place after he dies or relinquish power willingly to them or if all his sibling died then he can take a step back futher in the family tree once more to see if there is any qualify candidates. But in the end there will always be a Monarch to replace the King within the framework of these rules.

How these rule came to be will only be known in the story as I am not going to make you read history lesson as complicated as the British royal family.
    They have a professional Army that only the King controls to deal with monsters that come invading once in a while and with the power of the Throne of Democles at his hand he is the reason the Kingdom can survive a monster wave. This make it so the Nobility will usually never dare challenge the King once he has ascended onto the throne as the King personal power is almost Godlike within his Kingdom.

Did I ever specify what it means to be the Strongest? Is it magic? Intelligence? Wealth? Supporters? Strength? No, the strongest can be anything really and military might does not necessarily qualify you as the strongest. As your ability to command an arm force and make strategies against monsters can also make you the strongest. I never said the prince's have to fight alone did I? What would the point of the prince's or crown prince needing a noble faction to succeed the throne if they can do it alone? So the strongest really just mean those qualify for the throne to out compete there sibling who might be as qualify as they are. But if they have no sibling they are the strongest by default once ascended to the throne.

7. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    You can be the strongest candidate but not the most competent. Honestly, lots of flaws with this and the economy could fall pretty quickly and you lose your life if you lose. No way would I ever want to be part of this royal family.

8. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would the economy fall apart?

9. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Imagine having an incompetent leader after all of that? Some candidates may make a lot of horrible decisions that could potentially destroy the economy.

10. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...
    Then, my bad for misunderstanding what you meant when you said, "The Strongest". I just wanted to point out how your competition for the Royal throne seems ruthless. In such a case, accidents are bound to happen, whether it is premeditated or not.

Also, I wonder if something like Throne of Democles is enough to ward of the monsters. I mean, imagine if the monsters gain intelligence and form a society of their own. Could your country survive an organized attacks from monsters? Is it not better to put your eggs into different baskets?

Still, I don't want to born in such a world. It's too restricting imo. I don't much for fame or success or authority anyway.

11. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They have a lot of ministers to help them make decisions as no King rules alone even those in my world. Which is why the King needs a Noble faction that supports them. Plus former Kings can use their authority to make sure the children they want succeeds like for example executing the bad children in cold blood or working within the framework of the rules posted just divorcing the wife that birth the incompetent prince to strip him of his title and his ability to ascend to the throne.

Then there is always the Ultimate Backup plan if this competition style doesn't work... Using the throne to brainwash the incompetent King into a competent ruler by force using of one of the many magic spells left in the Democles that only trigger if the King gone insane or something and harms the Kingdom.

You could say that, but because the King controls the entire military of the Kingdom he also is the one funding research into weapons made to fight against monsters. So while the system is never perfect, but there isn't any other system being better. As neither democracy nor other form of government will work in my world fill with monsters.

Razogul and Beltran like this.
  12. tmark0099

tmark0099 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With my memory intact? Or fresh soul?
    If my present memories are there, with all the plots and schemes I have read about in web novels I think I will do pretty good. If it's fresh soul then, it would be difficult and exciting at the same time... so yes. Anyway royalty is always good if it's of strong nation.

13. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Memories intact as that is same for my protagonist.

14. Ophis_Trihexa

Ophis_Trihexa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So release that witch with +10 royal siblings?

15. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes as my MC was a Witch in her past life and she now have 10+ siblings...

16. Ophis_Trihexa

Reading List:
    Link
    With RTW any of the 3 royals could have become king as they were 'strong', army/navy/politics. But they lost to plot armor. Is plot armor going to stomp what you consider strong or will you define it at the start so it won't be a shock to both reader and royals that gasp MC isn't a waste and his op af.
    Personally can't stand those stories. So I guess it comes down to how quickly each royal is going to gain power and how many will go for assassination that will determine your story.
    Once half the contenders are dead we need to see a perspective of either foreign power or monster wave. Also useful for building character.
    ~edit auto correct changes royal to total

17. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My MC could careless for anyone who sits on the throne.

As she killed an entire Army made to fight a Demon King in her previous life that has fancier thrones then the current Kingdom.

The only thing my MC want is enjoy her second chance in Life with people that love her truly and so the Kingdom Ascension arc isn't really about my MC taking the throne, but to face those that lurk deeper in the shadows that even a Godlike King is nothing to them.

While she shares elements of RTW, she is closer to Violet in To Be a Power in the Shadows!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  18. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Destabilizing,
    • promotes a purge of other successors
    • An influential noble can easily make the successor a figurehead and become a kingmaker
    • tournaments only judge personal strength thus being urr not the best idea
    • has no failsafe mechanism
    • no safeguard against a corrupt ruler or a ruler with only brawl and no brain, both which will lead to downfall, either through sheer stupidity or revolution by common people
    • A psionic bla bla or a "bastard" who doesnt have right to throne but is way stronger can always just kill all the "legitimate" successors wiping the royal line (or hire assassins, or start a revolution)
    • It promotes internal discord and power hungry faction formation which is not a great idea when you have monsters trying to kill you
    • Can we talk about how many stupid shitstorms are possible at the crowning ceremony? And how the best way to prevent it is killing other successors?
    • it is pretty much gonna lead to a civil war

Beltran, AMissingLinguist and joey183 like this.
  19. Ophis_Trihexa

Reading List:
    Link
    I hadn't read that but if it's good I might look into.

20. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see no one bother reading both P.S. or the rules do they huh...

So yes, the rules are not very stabilizing in both my world and our world, that is a given, as it wasn't created for our world in mind.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018