How would you exploit my magic system

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by CyberCypher, Nov 7, 2018.

1. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    I am looking for loopholes in my magic system that I can use for narrative reasons
    Just a heads up my magic system takes elements from Avatar, the mistborn trilogy, and full metal alchemist

Magic is separated into the classic 4 +1 elements earth,water,fire, air, and light. They can't make the elements only manipulate them making light the most versatile as light is everywhere this is offset that light is physically the weakest. what ever light can do here in earth that is the limits that light can do in my world ( so flashbangs, illusions, mirages those kind of things are best it can do)

The main fuel of magic is not mana but the casters blood . similar to how mana disappears when magic is used, the blood of the caster also disappears . I would also like suggestions for a term to use for this process. right now I am using the term burn. This also leads to a side effect where magic over use will lead to anemia and eventually death.

next is the type and purity of blood.. the types of blood instead of A or B, it is the elements i.e earth blood, fire blood,etc, this corresponds to the element that the caster can use. the purity is the level of well the purity of the blood type . it is in a scale of 1 to 10 with having a level of 5 being a minimum to use the magic. Casters are usually classified based on the type and level of blood. its somewhat intuitive despite being complicated
    ex. a fire shaman could be classified as a Fire 8,
    Higher purity doesn't mean about the power of the the magic but the efficiency on how much blood is used to preform the same action this doubles on the next level . ex. if a earth 5 can throw a 10kg rock 1 km away, then a earth 6 can throw 2 10kg rocks 1 km away for the same amount of blood used. this makes an earth 10 24x more efficient than an earth 5 significantly powerful but not stupidly overwhelming.

TLDR: people can manipulate the elements based on the blood type and purity
    ex: an air 4 can't use magic but an air 5 can with air 10 having the most efficient
    level 10 is the max level basically 100% pure )

exploit I have found while playing with my magic system:
    1) Priming - transfusing blood of a higher purity to a mage with lower purity to artificially increase the level of blood. ex. transfusing water 8 blood to a water 6 mage to make his blood into a water 7 for a time
    2) Flooding - opposite of priming where a lower purity blood is transfused into a higher purity mage to increase his blood count. ex a light 9 mage is given light 6 to make his blood a light 7 so he can use his magic for when he is out of flooding from overuse
    3) bleeding an mage so he can't use magic or taking enemy mages blood and putting it in your own warriors
    4) mandatory blood drives - got to keep the war going
    5) inbreeding to increase the purity of the blood
    6)placing mages in cells with none of the element like light mages placed in completely dark cells

Fares and Onamatopoeia like this.
  2. maniacman22

maniacman22 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    complete blood transfusion of a different element to permanently or temporarily cripple an enemies magic

Loni4ever likes this.
  3. LordBS

LordBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I would recommend you to not brainstorm ways like that and simply make it more mystical since explaining everything like that will potentially ruin your story.
    Let the readers imagine the limits instead of trying to point them like that.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  4. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What happens to mosquito that bites them?

Loni4ever likes this.
  5. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Light = photons = full electromagnetic spectrum: gamma rays, x-rays, ultraviolet, visible, infrared and radio.

2) Lasers!!!!

Edit: Who says light is weak?

kamisusano, djsosonut and Loni4ever like this.
  6. maniacman22

Reading List:
    Link
    temporarily boosting the purity of a middling puity ( 3 or 4) till they can use magic then sending them in a suicide bombers/assassins

7. maniacman22

Reading List:
    Link
    utter nonsense the more flesh out his magic system is the more world building he can do because if a bunch of guys on a forum can think of something i guarantee all the geniuses in that world would have

8. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lens effect

Either use air to warp light or directly manipulate light to concentrate large amounts of sweet solar onto a target

9. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Manipulation of light, so... You could move light away from a region causing total darkness.

Blood farms too, slave pits, breeding pits, lobotomy as ammunition storage. Criminal punishments.
    Blood preservation technology/knowledge must be advanced. Can animal blood be substituted? Menstrual blood preservation. Summon Japanese isekai hero, flash panties and breasts, collect nasal blood.

10. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    not neccesarily weak, i meant that in a physical sense where it would take a ton of light manipulation to create laser making the casters die of anemia. when there are much more effective ways. I actually made my light users more like magic swordsman rather pure mages why make a laser when your swordsman cna make a illusionary slash to the right when making a thrust to the left a real attack

11. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    light users stay a long way away from their target and send radiation(like gamma waves) at their target giving them cancer in secret. or you know just fucking boil them alive.

TLDR: LIGHT OP

12. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    mosquitos are 100% blood benders

13. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Slice your arms and put them iin a tub of the same blood type to cast massive amounts of magic. Btw your series seems quite grotesque in its own way. It has the potential to be more blood creepy than most vampire stories.

14. maniacman22

Reading List:
    Link
    on that note you could use water to refract the light also or heat from fire

15. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Step 1: Kill a lot of people. (In secret of course)
    Step 2: Drain all the blood and put it into a nice smell-proofed backpack. One thats kinda like a beer hat, but instead just pumps blood into your veins.
    Step 3: Go wild?

Also how do you put an earth mage in a prison with no earth?
    And an air magician without air?

16. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    not future advanced but advanced for a medieval setting. In one of the nations I made the census bureau one of the most powerful orginazations

nothing happens

I actually like magic systems with limits because magic within limits really make the imagination bloom

actually the blood has to be within the body not like a tub or anything, I wasn't trying to make is grotesque I was aiming for mor clinical

17. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Blood has to be in the veins
    2) make a wooden prison in the middle of the sea ( thanks avatar)
    3)high altitude prison where air is thinner or subterran prison which are air tight and an be sealed immediatly

18. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets see

Open wound + air to vacuum the blood from a target

19. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    For the term to use, maybe Hematomancy ?

It would be interresting to make blood chains (a serial connection of mage via a chain transfusion appartus) to cast composite magic with a mixed blood chain or higher arcanes thanks to a massive combined blood pool.

By the way light would certainly be the best type of magic for speed boost, quick travel and inavoidable offensive magic because the spells effect are at light speed.

20. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    if you don't know the blood type of the enemy this could actually cause your magic to be weaker