Advice on Making A Yuri Isekai Novel

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Lucilius, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Lucilius

Lucilius Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So still fairly new to this site, I first posted this on my blog but thanks to @Tycheri for telling me about to post this here instead. So I'll just be reposting on what I said there and add some additional ones.

So been wracking up on this thus far since there's quite a lack of Shoujo Ai/Yuri Isekai novels and mangas out there. Thus, I'm making an attempt at one, though while I have countless ideas it would be nice to get some feedback and ideas from the community in order to reduce repetitive ideas and common stuff we always see in isekai novels no matter if its yuri or not. I was planning on making this fairly dark since it is something I'm more used to writing but I wanted some lighter undertones to it such as comedy etc. and stuff to make it less heavy which admittedly comedy and the likes isn't my forte.

I'm 11 pages in on writing the story with majority of it, 8 pages worth, consisting of the very basis of ideas I have such as the Characters and their descriptions, synopsis, notes on Classes and Races, etc. with the last remaining few being drafts on the first and second chapters. While I want to avoid per say spoilers, I've already been subjected to people who already stole my ideas so I'll try to make this as informative as possible to give people an idea as to what I am writing while at the same time keeping it on the down low. So my notes on it thus far are these.

World - Common idea of swords & magic with a bit of a mix of science crossing with magic which is also a common idea from isekai novels I've seen but I'm planning for it to be somewhat still in it's progression stage where it's still being improved on and such. This will include the common ideas of elves such as dark elves, high elves, etc., dwarves, beastman or in my story is labelled as Beastkin, humans, demons, draconians, demi humans, mix-blood, etc.

Basis - The basis of my novel is the world Title, wherein every being born is designated with a title they live with where they will be dictated by it from how they will mold into as person, how their powers will form, etc.

MC & Other Characters - The protagonist refuses to adhere to something such as this because "I am I, you are you. No one has any right to make choices for you." is the idea of the MC. Since the MC is from a modern world and reborn into another world of swords & magic, there is an internal conflict of personality that is dictated by her own person and that of her title, a struggle for control. As for other characters I'm still working on that, so far I have the rough idea for the MC and another character which currently only has a Race & a Name.

Classes - They are divided into tiers in order of their complexity and branching with the Thief, Mage, Warrior, Archer, Clergy being the most common and where other classes are born or evolved from. Taking note that each class as well are further divided into Special Class, Exclusive Class, Ancient Class, and Forbidden Class. Special, Exclusive, Ancient, and Forbidden Classes are pretty somewhat obvious in its name. So I wouldn't really expand on that unless I really need to. I'm still trying to avoid ideas from well you know, I've already said it before in a previous paragraph from this thread.

Ex. Everyone starts out on their Starter Class - Apprentice before picking out the class they want, after doing so they move to the Novice Class or Tier 1 - Thief, Mage, Warrior, Archer, Clergy.

Tier 1 - Thief to Tier 2 - Rogue to Tier 3 - Assassin or Marauder and so on and so forth. The more higher the tier the harder it is to gain the next tier as some have special costs in order to attain them.

Factions/Groups - So far the only faction I've made at the moment are those opposing the Title system. Ideas on what other factions there are will be welcomed.

Side Notes: Names are just going to be some that I'm going to research on. I don't want to make some random fantasy name from my own. I wanted to research some names for the characters to give it some actual meaning rather than making something up.

For kingdoms, I'm still thinking about that. I want some ideas from the community on this since this is something quite big if I say so. I want to avoid the common tropes that happens to characters when they're involved with kingdoms and politics and stuff.

So those are my notes thus far, does anyone have ideas for this kind of story and what kind of tropes or cliches that are too overused that I should avoid?

2. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go for cute girls do cute things yuri undertones rather than straight up yuri romance if you want more readers. The latter narrows down the potential reader demographic a ton.

Lucilius and Cosmic_ like this.
  3. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    Moonpearl likes this.
  4. Jokerdemon

Jokerdemon New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is adamant to flesh out your characters
    What are there philosophies there toughts on fate and death and other philosophies

A church of a fate god who advocate that everything is dictated by god like every action you take and your title

Lucilius likes this.
  5. iblis666

iblis666 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The whole straight/gay thing is a fairly new concept so depending on the time period of the alternative world dating based on preference might be considered normal. It wasn't until bloodlines were focused on for royalty and God was thrown into the mix with divine right that it was persecuted.
    That being said and if it's not gender bender I would find it interesting to find a severe women's right lesbian get transported and find everything she was fighting against isn't a thing there and have to come to terms with not having to fight against the patriarchy.

Edit:
    It would also be interesting if she actually starts it up in reverse accidentally, the excuse can be that the main god is a goddess or something so it became divine right of the queen. By the end more and more girls could embrace the idea of yuri and only use men as breeding stock who based on their taste tend towards the effeminate.
    At the end flash forward a few thousand years and it's a matriarchal society run by Amazonian type women with hyena like enlarged members if you get my drift. Men on the other hand have degenerated into shota traps who are fighting for equal rights.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. DevianT

DevianT Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest...I don't know...maybe read more Yuri novel to know which one is overused?
    Maybe you can check BL novel as you can use their plot/cliche just that different gender and slight POV from manly to girlish

7. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    The first thing to start isekai is "Truck-kun" you may add gender bender....

8. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    Go for a more matter-of-fact approach for couples, possibly outright stating "So-and-so and So-and-so are dating," and not having anyone be excessively surprised. The "isekai is just as homophobic as Earth" trope is far too common.
    Also, a "We want to hijack the title system and use it for our own purposes" faction would be interesting.
    Truck-chan?

9. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought that this was a topic created by @Ai chan based on the name

10. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    its Truck-kun....the other is Summon-chan

11. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link

tenor.gif

Attached Files:

SUNOFA, Lucilius and Romashk like this.
  12. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) It's gonna be a dark story, right? With Yuri at that. If you're doing that, then there's no need for childish stuff like the characters being too shy to even hold hands in public, or the MC beings overly cheerful or a goody two-shoes, who just HAS to help everyone and is constantly preaching about racial and/or political equality bullshit. The MC's already been through one life, so make her more mature and if she's gonna be gay, then let her be gay, but don't make her a faggot, like those JP MCs...

- Idea for a supporting character: The character has suffered from betrayal and, maybe plenty of torture (what kind is up to you), that has left her on the verge of mentally breaking and completely drained of trust towards people. MC finds her in this state, she takes her along (for one reason or another). They can start out as partners in mutual benefit, basically they are using each other at the start, then the relationship gradually evolves into something more. Just an idea, do what you want with it...

2) If people get to choose their own class, then how is that Title thing related to this? Does it put some kind of limit on what they can grow as and whatnot or is it something else?

3) I see you're making a Game Elements novel, if you're making something different, may as well start here, with the status (like, for example, removing the numeral stats and the level, make the class dictate the strength and not some numbers)

4) I see there are a lot of races, will there also be racial discrimination? It's not an all that new idea, but it is a very realistic one and there are many different ways to present it.

5) I don't know the first thing about politics, but is there a powerful religion going on? It's a common troupe for either the entire Church to be corrupt down to the core, or the entire thing to be clean, but it's pretty rare for there to be shown differences in the individual branches of the Church, you can try using that.

6) Please, no harem, I'm begging you~ :blobsob:

7) Is there an Adventurer's Guild? If so, then don't just make it a lame gathering of mercs, who do all the odd jobs in town and hunt the dogs in the forest. Take some notes from The Guild's Cheat Receptionist (they present the proper varieties of the Guild by splitting into an association of different Guilds) and the Hunters association from Hunter x Hunter (The hunters there act way more like adventurers than the actual adventurers from other novels). Basically try making the adventurers fit their name better and make them actually adventurous. Or you can make it like in The Magnificent Battle Records of A Former Noble Lady, there the Guild is a proper individual organisation and not some global job centre for the rogues and runaways...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Moonpearl and Lucilius like this.
  13. Lucilius

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, didn't expect this to be a lot but here goes, thanks for the replies guys!

Hmm, so basically some already established yuri couple doing fluffy stuff as its undertones, am I right on this? I was planning on doing an already established one and not so to speak.

Sure, I'll check it out! There's a heavy lack of yuri/shoujo ai isekais, I wouldn't mind reading some more.

It's why I'm asking some ideas of characters from the community. I want to see what kind others will make and see if it can be something far more good than something common. As for other philosophies, I'm trying to research more on that other than relying on one's that I know of and one's I've learned in my class lmao but entirely trying to avoid the common tropes of philosophies that Good VS Evil has no grey areas as such.

As for the idea on the church, I had something similar like that but wanted some more ideas on it. From the isekai's I've read it always ends up being one of those sleazy church types where they brainwash people to their dogma while that's interesting it always ends up in one of those common tropes where the MC exposes them or something or they have political backing, etc. I was thinking if it would be nice if it became more radical to the point of devastating but not sure if that kind of idea is fairly common or what.

No, it's not going to be gender bender. I do plan on making it that the LGBT+ themes for the story to be there but uncommon. Perhaps a minority where people are tolerant about it, some violent about it but that's only like a small fraction because "you do you" kinda ideology, basically it's uncommon but not enough for people to be bothered about it, I guess. Though I appreciate you for sharing your idea while I did state it's going to be be fairly dark, the part "It wasn't until bloodlines were focused on for royalty and God was thrown into the mix with divine right that it was persecuted." sounds like it would end up being the common "isekai is just as homophobic as Earth" as said by one of the people on this thread. As for the latter idea on the edit notes, nice idea but I wouldn't do that. It would sound like some entirely different story at this point but the story will contain something similar dark tones like some of the things you mentioned.

Hmm, thing is I don't particularly read BL that much unless it's really really good which is rare in itself and even then from what I've read from those kinds is that it tends to end with the same cliches as well and other problems found in that spectrum only that in which is far different with yuri and stuff. I hope that made sense but thanks for the info though, I'll still try and see if I can though.

Truck-kun????

Gender bender is a no go. Too much gender bender as is and it always ends up with the MC acting like their old guy self anyway and there would have been no point in the gender bender other than as an excuse to do pervy things to others which is what I've seen a lot thus far.

As I said similar to the first one. Though, I am trying to flesh out some potential problems for that kind of thing since I am inclined to agree that the "isekai is just as homophobic as Earth" trope is a far too common idea. I was thinking of like it's a minority and it's uncommon but people are just eh or chill about it but there's a faction who wants to abolish it because it's part of their beliefs, wherein this notion is fairly new and not something deeply rooted and old like in real life but hmm, not sure if that's a common idea too is the thing.

For the faction idea though, I quite like that. I might add it since I haven't thought of it like that as well.

We don't have the same name??? :3???

1) Yes and don't worry, I hate those kind of characters as well. As I said before she's having an internal personality conflict because of her ownself and that caused of her title. So which leaves her in a grey area of the spectrum. I was planning on an MC who simply wants to enjoy the idea of swords & magic but was forced to adhere to her title so it creates large problems for her and those around her but still needs to expand this on more in order to avoid the cliche personality tropes.

-I had a similar idea for a character like that but haven't really expanded on it but thanks for the idea! I'll take note of it!

2) I used the word choice loosely when I explained that part sorry about that but basically for example you were born and given the title "Knight of Etcetera" that would mean at birth you start from Apprentice > Warrior > Soldier > Knight. But that isn't always the case, there are some who aren't born into being an adventurer and those who are as dictated by their roles in their Title which is also the problem or struggle for the story as there are those who wants to fight but can't because they're 'restricted' by their titles. So in a sense, yes it does put some form of limitation on them. This of course is still open for ideas and expansion to make it more reasonably sound.

3) I had something like that in mind but didn't know how to better express it per say or expand it. I didn't want levels dictating their strength, I just wanted it levels to be a sub thing where it indicates your powers increased and the likes but thought against it cause it would seem like if someone goes on the path of becoming strong they're already = to being OP. I haven't mentioned but there are a total of 6 Tiers. With the last two being powerful and the very last powerful than the last but has special conditions in obtaining thus only a scarce few are able to get it. But if you could expand your idea on the status thing that would be nice so I can understand it more in depth.

4) Of course, it's what I planned on as well. While it is a common idea, you can't really stop them from well not adding it. It is as you said, makes it realistic because it is something we see as well in the real world because being different = discrimination. As for how to show it I'm still thinking of ideas and seeing other peoples ideas on it. Of course the common ideas for it are slavery, discrimination, war, etc. which I think is already a given.

5) I'll take note of that. I was planning on a church being a radical one rather than those sleazy kinds like I saw in The Black Healer. Though still am open for more ideas on different belief systems for the story.

6) Don't worry, I'm not entirely fond of it either. Sure, I'm going to hint some potential love interests but not something like they'll go stupid and act like some bimbo that's head over heels for the MC and lose their brain because of it.

7) I was planning on it but that's the problem I saw too, I'm trying to think of ways to avoid those kind of things too. I haven't read Guild Cheat Receptionist since I saw some bad reviews on it but I'll try getting references on it. Though if you could explain the variety thing more I'd be glad since I'm kinda confused on what you meant by that. As for Hunter x Hunter, never watched it so kinda clueless on that along with the Noble Lady.

Moonpearl and DevianT like this.
  14. DevianT

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a suggestion but one of the most important thing is still the world building and class/system...
    Some novel was so good(story good,character well made) but i still drop halfway as the author just BS bruteforce away(a stupid skill or the system was so broken or some loophole found and exploit...found a pretty stone and later chapter turn out is a legendary beings egg) become something like plot armor

Lucilius likes this.
  15. Lucilius

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah, same. Too many novels that ends up like that, honestly good but ended up being disappointing.

Thing is my initial idea was to make some really strong powers for the MC but not enough to be considered a cheat but the thing is that she had to grow into that power lest it backfires on her massively, so she's forced to use a lesser and weaker version of it. Though dunno if that's somewhat of a plot armour. Since I didn't want to go down the start as a baby route with a bloody mature lady conscience.

DevianT likes this.
  16. DevianT

Reading List:
    Link
    Character growth or development like latent potential....instead of some reincarnation in the same world become genius when previously a dumbass

17. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thread title

Lucilius likes this.
  18. Lucilius

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, not a genius but rather just some average person as I said powerful backfires due to strong skills, the story is slow paced considering she doesn't know the world nor her own powers. I'm not going down the route of one practice = immediate control like most isekais nor am I going down the route of someone teaching her everything and she's absorbing every info like a sponge. I'm planning on making the MC a Forbidden Class which is a culmination of other classes only attainable due to special costs. So she has to make her way up there on the totem pole for her final class but yeah will take note of that in order to avoid that kind of thing.

That said, ideas so far for the MC go with these;

1) Powerless MC to Strong MC but not OP though I feel like this is a bit too common. Since these things has a lot of development but ends up stagnant along the progression like Re:Monster where it ends up being Powerless > Strong > OP.
    2) Powerful Skills MC but doesn't know how to use it to slowly being able to control it type of MC by using a weaker version of it. So pretty much something similar to the protagonist from Boku no Academia?

Edit: Considering I am adding game elements here, as I said she doesn't know her own powers add the fact there will be no one to teach her about the world, her powers are like a dice game when it comes to the power? So to speak, it's why I said she has to learn her powers on her own since she literally knows nothing.

Those or still a bit over the top? I'm looking for any loopholes and such in order to better her as a character.

19. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    3) The class up thing, huh? I guess there's nothing to it other than training yourself in that specific field and meeting certain conditions, like having the appropriate mindset. Sorry, I'm kinda taking this from Tales of an Enchantress (R18) the sequal to Tales of a Seductress, despite the story, it has a good concept on the whole "rank up" thing:
    She's a Seductress, however, she's already reached the level cap for that class, but she cannot rank up no matter what she does. Then things happen, and she starts thinking in depth regarding her class: She's a Seductress, a class meant to seduce? Why? What does she seduce others for? Why is her charisma so high? Why does high charisma allow her to resist enslavement? Is it all about control? Control what? It's to control herself, but she's at the peak of this control. Then how do you expand from that? To control, to control others, my role is to dominate and to control. And BAM, she ranks up into Enchantress. That kind of mindset, you get me? Of course, it doesn't have to be just the mindset, like in that novel. Maybe some have to go through some kind of ritual, other have to gain some kind of physical trait~ (or something)

7) The varieties I'm talking about here are the different kinds of Guilds, like the Adventurer's Guild, the Craftman's Guild, the Architecture Guild, the Mercenary Guild, the Merchant Guild... Basically a gathering of professionals in specific fields coming together to form these Guilds and all of these Guilds are being managed by the Guild Association, that was formed in order to balance out the Guilds and prevent any problems from occurring.
    The Hunter's Association is a massive organisation that deals with: Travelling to and mapping out uncharted territories, discovering unknown creatures and plants, even creating new delicacies by going out there to hunt for new ingredients (kinda like in Toriko) or dealing with catastrophes of unknown origins etc.
    The Noble Lady thing is: Well, the Guild was founded by this one guy, who gathered numerous capable people into one organisation. Simply put, the first generation of the Guild. It isn't too widely spread, but there are people seeking their help everywhere... (or something like that)

Moonpearl likes this.
  20. Lucilius

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, that's actually a nice idea though I don't want to seem like a copycat but maybe I can derive something from a mindset type. I was planning on meeting special conditions like for example, Necromancer Class = Sacrificial Summoning of etc. etc., murder, and the likes those kind of things. Since my initial plan was as you already said already, rituals, traits, etc. and stuff. Since each class tree will have its own anti-thesis.

Example. If you reach Tier 3 of the Warrior Tree which means you're a Knight you are either destined to be a Holy Knight or a Dark Crusader with their final evolution being Tier 5, Abysmal Ruler and Spirit Lord. Both of which are an anti-thesis to each other.

Oh those! Yeah, I already plan on making those since I thought just basing everything off on one guild is kinda boring like Adventurer's Guild being the hub of everything and stuff. So far the only one's I've thought so far of adding is the Assassin's Guild, Adventurer's Guild and Merchant's Guild. Thanks for the other suggestions though. I'll take note of those in order to improve the story.