LCD Magi’s Grandson

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Wujigege, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Surprised that his novel does not have any LCD

Description:
    hanks to various magic, the human race has been saved from calamity many, many times. Retaining his memories from his previous life, a boy, Shin, was picked up by an old man known to the world as a “Magi.”

Shin was brought up by the Magi, who had retired to a secular place, as his own grandson. With the memories of his past life, he absorbed the Magi’s craft and grew to be able to develop his own magic.

Then, the grandfather told him he has to become independent when he reaches the age of 15.

“Ah, I forgot to teach him common sense.”

The grandson who has grown beyond the level of normal people, lacked common sense; the common sense of the world. So to learn how to socialize, he goes to Earlshide Kingdom City to be admitted to Earlshide Advanced Magic Academy.

2. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    If you keep readin, it's full of every kind of cliched isekai cheat imaginable...almost a parody of the genre.

Of course, it is old enough so you can say THIS novel started the genre...

Never the less, still charming to my tastes. Manga is good. I still read it.

3. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I still can't believe it's getting an anime

raptorcsy and Wujigege like this.
  4. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    For real? This started the genre? It was released in 2015 for fucks sake. Mushuko Tensei is way better and is from 2012 and still isn’t old enough to have created this genre. I mean, fuck, the Dungeons and Dragons series is decades old by now, if anything IT created isekai, and I’m sure there are things even older. If we are talking only Japan, from the top of my head we have Inuyasha, and it is from early 2000s? Late 90? You can see my point. Sure, the genre exploded in popularity with the Sword Art Online anime in 2012 and is completely banalized and broken by now, but a story 3 years old is far from being this genre’s starter...

5. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Specifically the utter OP, everybody likes the MC, Japanese culture is supreme, and otherworld knowledge makes you the best genre.

Absolutely not the Isekai genre, just the really, really cliched version. You know, all the really bad jokes of an isekai novel. The kindergarten grade writing ones. :p

That's the genre I remember "Magi'sGrandson" is guilty of creating, and I am absolutely NOT an authority or expert in my statement. ;)

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Liron

Reading List:
    Link
    You are lucky for not being an expert. I am not one too, but the sheer ammount of novels like that saddens me. And that is only talking about Japan. China has a lot of reincarnation and second chances novels that are from even before 2010 in some cases that are basically this genre you described, but done worse. And I’m sure we have even older examples. You hardly come across a CN with no reincarnation or time travelling or isekai gimmick for the MC. It is a whole ‘nother world, and a trashier one too. Sure, we have good novels here and there, but I would say if we put Magi’s Grandson there it would be above average. A solid 7/10 compared to others, at least.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Magi's Grandson at least had a certain charm in the beginning, and some humor in the latest chapters.

Try the manga, it is decent.

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Liron

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the manga. Guess Strom is an acceptable villain. His backstory is what you would expect, but I bought it. I think it was that brutal art when ‘that’ happens that makes him turn into a demon that made it click. Sure, it was not a masterpiece or close to the levels of Berserk in quality or gore, but it had something on it. That scene made me feel really bad and angry, and it was supposed to, so congrats to the artist I guess.

9. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, complicated antagonists are more interesting.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow I created this LCD to test the waters as I was considering translating this. I guess the reading list numbers don't lie. It probably would have been more popular if the release frequency wasn't so bad.
    About Isekai, I recommend this video by Gigguk.
    You don't need to be experts, just know the right place for information.
    Alice in Wonderland started Isekai
    For transmigration, the oldest I could find was this
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53546.The_Reluctant_Swordsman. Only read an extended preview but wow. Personally, I think stories that don't explain the reason for transmigration or going back in time are poor and miss a wonderful opportunity to tell a good tale. I know religion is not a big deal in China and Buddhist persecuted but having things happen for no reason is dumb.
    Here is the Gigguk video on isekai

I forgot to add, does this have a glossary with at least character names?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  11. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Its one of my favorite in NU. The manga is good also for not skipping a ton of details.
    If you can take it from the monthly releasing then expect a view from me other than magicraft.

If only it doesnt get monthly releases.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. raptorcsy

raptorcsy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FORRR REAALLLL!!!???? OMG OMG OMG!!!!
    IM SO HAPPY!!! HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!!

userunfriendly and Wujigege like this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    https://myanimelist.net/news/52408870

Probably stuck in development hell. Boku No Hero Academia already has two seasons since

14. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Given they made an anime out of Death March, it's obvious that the JP anime industry is desperate...

It will not be that good, given how viciously they mangled Knights and Magic, but I will watch and enjoy. ;)

Edit: just watched YouTube ad, and given the staggering number of oppai shots, this project is certain.:p

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Rodriguez II

Rodriguez II Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime'll be aired next year in April. Silver Link is the production company for it, and is experienced in making anime with school elements in it, like Rakudai Kishi, Masamune-kun, Strike the Blood, etc....

Magi's Grandson has the MC and his friends attending a magical academy, so a good choice for a production company for this show.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Whoisthatbookworm

Whoisthatbookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah! New translator that plan to NOT update it monthly

17. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    it was annoying...its getting more annoying....this Shin guy will topple Orimura Ichika as the densest MC(not in romance).....fking moron....the synopsis says the Grandpa forgot to teach him common sense....but he laxks basic human common sense...not only the isekai common sense...
    hell it got only 125 chapters after 3+ years so i think the author also lost his common sense after writing such an uber pacifist of an MC that dont even know that in a war there will be casualties....da fuk were u doing back in Earth.....u a Mougli or Tarzaan

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Wujigege likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha I was still watching this thread. Tarzan has a lot of violence in the original story even Mowgli fought the tiger and the monkeys

SquirFail likes this.
  19. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    this moron is killing tigers and wolves too...but he cant stomach human deaths in a subjugation quest.... -_-
    really?u who r a walking WMD forgot how humans r as soon as u got powers?

Wujigege likes this.
  20. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm hoping against hope that the author will have the balls to make Shin Strom's son.

Yep, the Plotline COMPLETELY allows for it, and it might turn an Oppai obsessed mediocre collection of cliches decent for a few minutes...

Nope, not even that twist could.

Oh well, I have to force myself to watch the Oppai jokes...:blobjoy: