Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was rather explicitly explained a couple chapters back. The school Van wants to go to, due to his luxury fetish in response to his luxury phobic uncle in his 1st life, is a school for the elite only and it is in the central capital of the kingdom. In addition to this adventurer's school for nobles, the wealthy, and the elete, there are also commoner's adventurer schools in the capitals of each of the dutchies. Van could have gone to one of these commoner's schools weeks ago, but he is insistent on going to the elite school.

I am quite certain the Alda side is going to reach the conclusion this is due to some kind of insidious devious plan on his part, and I am certain he is going to get good results that back up their suspicion. However, we who know Van all know there was no plan. He just wanted to go there because he heard "only for the nobles, rich, and elete" and those kinds of terms meant luxury and he simply wouldn't accept anything else after he got that in his mind.

Korleone, Culaio, Masimam and 5 others like this.
  2. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    If Gods in Lambda goes to Hogwart.
    Vida: Hupplepuff
    Ricklent :Ravenclaw
    Peria : Ravenclaw
    I don't think so, after all when you adventuring there are likely you camp together

hillo315 and Mesaphrom like this.
  3. Reman Scimitar

Reman Scimitar Princess Zadiris Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Separation would be used to avoid certain scandals, love affairs that aren't really in every higher ups best interest, and the likes as well as to possibly even show levels of power (arrogant/semi-decent nobles and commoners, males and females, and this is if we go past NRV but bet they'd be looked down upon quite a bit).

NRV = New Race of Vida*

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  4. LokiTheAccursed

LokiTheAccursed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fun thought, monsters from the Monster Hunter series in Lambda.

hillo315, jubjub3000 and Nakakure like this.
  5. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They could be in the same dorm but be sent to rooms according to sex. That would be the scenario most primed for Van and Selen winding up in the same room should Van be mistaken for female by the school administrators. Van may even assume it's normal based on @Nakakure's reasoning.

EDIT: :blobthinkingsmirk: I just thought up the much better scenario for how this situation could come about. Maybe the priest watching over Selen, the member of the Faron nobelty who wanted to do something to intervine in the rising Vida fundamentalism due to Darcia, might have actually pulled some strings in order to make them have the same room together. And from there, even apply pressures to maintain this state.

At least until he realizes that instead of Selen leading him to the unification party, he's leading Selen to the Vida fundamentalist party. Then he'll start despirately trying to reverse course too little too late.

Bla8bla, Masimam, hillo315 and 3 others like this.
  6. anteopta

anteopta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alda is going to come up with a plan to stop vans "plan", just for it to give van a reason to take over the school. :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn:

Korleone, Masimam, Claus and 4 others like this.
  7. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    fufufu at least is not cliche scenario "Transfer Student, end up with the most ****** student".
    Novel Update looking really good in chrom.

continou Hogwart thing
    Zantark : Gryfindor
    Zuruwarm: Slytherin
    alda : Gryfindor/DO
    Botin : Hupplepuff
    Van-Sama is Deathly Hollow . Gods reside in his staff, can erase his presence, and lastly can revive the dead.

8. Reman Scimitar

Reading List:
    Link
    Van and Selene in same room would be funny, only people involved would be:
    A. Administrator (unintentional)

B. Faron Nobility - Alda Peace/Vida Harmony faction (still trying to get Van to join them even after withholding a letter meant for Selene and gave her a half-truth to her)

C. The King of Orbaume Kingdom or the Major Nobility who knows of what capabilities Van can truly do vs the lesser nobility (Evil God of Glutton case should've reached the higher ups ears at least).

Downfall is people will see Van as an obstacle for them if they wish to get with Selene and onto Heinz' grace and will try to get past him or even use him as a tool to get to Selene (I don't know why I'm even bothering with Nobility and select personnel bad habit of wanting connections when it's a given lol).

I see Alda, his YES!-men and his worshipers damage control as a mess that makes Kyshtym nuclear fuel reprocessing plant, Chernobyl and Fukushima meltdowns look like child's play (two rank 7s and one rank 6).

Mesaphrom and jubjub3000 like this.
  9. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly REALLY don't think so. The aside we got from the nobility complaining about Darcia being made an honorary noble WAS one of the "higher ups" in question that would be concerned here, and they showed no indication of knowing the full story at all. In fact, the story they parroted back vaguely in regards to Darcia's promotion was the fake cover story Van and the duke had set up.

Plus, it just plain doesn't make sense at all for the duke to tell anyone else about this case due to the political situation. First and foremost is Orbaume's status as an "election kingdom." The king only rules for 10 years, and then another king is elected to the throne by the 12 dukes. In that manner, it could really be said that in a way the 12 dukes are the real seat of power in the Orbaume election kingdom, with the king only kinda being a figurehead that keeps the 12 dutchies together in form. That's really how it has looked so far with how all the players have been acting both in Van's interactions and also in the side chapters that feature the political dealings among the dukes.

I really have to give serious props to Denske on this one, so far as I know this is a completely original political system that only bears vague resemblances to a few of the political systems IRL. That takes some talent to come up with. Especially when it comes to coming up with a system that really could conceivably work to such an extent you actually wonder why it doesn't exist IRL. I can actually really see how this system would have come together too.

You would have originally had 12 kingdoms that had to band together to fight against the threat of the Amid empire. Since they were to be a long-term confederacy, the kings all decided to demote themselves to dukes and elect a figurehead king to represent their union, but because they didn't want the king to have too much power over them they limited the length of the king's reign and made sure they were the only ones who could elect the next king to replace him. It really does work out perfectly and make perfect sense how it could have come about.

Then, also, the second reason why nobody outside Alcheim likely knows the truth is that they had decided to bury the truth due to the dual threat created by the mimicry humans. 1. is that the mere existence of these creatures would cause paranoia and social unrest among the people. The duke wanted to bury the mere existence of these creatures so that his citizens did not start up a witch-hunt style pursecution of all the other citizens on suspicion of being mimicry humans. 2. is that the mimicry humans had actually replaced members of the ducal family, thus having this revealed would greatly harm the standing of the ducal house. That second reason especially is something that makes this a piece of information the duke of Alcheim could never let the other ducal houses in Orbaume know.

Then, finally, there is also a third reason why the duke would never reveal the information in regards to Van specifically. That is because he's actually kinda in a state of both fear and awe of Van and what he can do. We got a very good idea of how highly he regards Van in the side chapter for the dance party. He's 100% certain that if he doesn't prove himself absolutely useful to Van then Van will have him replaced with the Marquis (I think that was his rank) of Moski who has already proven himself favorable to Van.

Ultimately, there is not a single political factor in play that would necesitate the duke reporting this to the king, and in fact there is every single reason for him not to report it.

Nakakure, Bla8bla, Mesaphrom and 2 others like this.
  10. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah i really aggre in the last part , i mean if he want Duke Alcheim can become King of Orbaume with Van assist. well maybe not right now but few election more, that it's , unless Van decide to change Orbaume.
    Zadiris for Empress of Vidal Empire!!!

Claus, hillo315, jubjub3000 and 2 others like this.
  11. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't think of that, but that actually makes perfect sense. 1. It would be the very best way for Van to accomplish ALL his goals with Orbaume in one fell swoop. And, because it's Van and this always happens where Van's concerned, get quite a number of bonuses he had never intended for but are somehow better than any of his original objectives out of this deal in the process of bringing it about.

2. It would actually kinda be another checkov's gun scinario. Actually, I saw a TV tropes breakdown of Death Mage.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LightNovel/TheDeathMageWhoDoesntWantAFourthTime

If you go down to the part where it talks about how Death Mage showcases the checkov's gun concept, it points out that DM is actually, if anything, the single best user of checkov's gun of any series out there. Every single last little thing in this entire freaking series that is just mentioned in passing is a checkov's gun that later becomes an influential driving part of what makes some later scenario work out well after it was mentioned.

If Denske has set up such an original and interesting concept for how the king is elected in Orbaume that is so completely unlike anything that exists IRL, you just know that election system is going to be important sometime later and it's going to likely play in Van's favor somehow. I cannot see any way it could fill that criteria any better than having the duke of Alcheim elected to rule Orbaume. (well, you know, they could elect Van but that seems to be going a little too far with it to the point it beggars the imagination to justify it.)

12. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah after all he is Eclipse Emperor if i am not wrong when Van become King of Talosheim , he didn't use King of Sun and instead using Eclipse King not only because citizen of Talosheim at that time are race that excel in night . he taking Eclipse King to make seem he is just Passerby Ruler.
    why i have feeling that Daemon Ruler Job, wait a minute DAEMON not DEMON, isn't Daemon kind of Guardian Spirit? if my memory not betray me when i'm playing Devil Survivor 1.
    "he is leader of Daemon Gang"(Atsuro)
    'Ugh no more demon "(Yuzu).
    "It's Daemon Yuzu not demon, they are guardian spirit"(Atsuro).
    correct me or tell me the exact conversation if you play Devil Survivor 1 or Overclocked.

13. Reman Scimitar

Reading List:
    Link
    Like you stated, 12 separate kingdoms in one confederacy/union (however one wishes to look at it) only due to a singular threat being Amid Empire, but that doesn't mean they're all on the same boat of trust and being King doesn't really mean much to them other than being a figurehead and to top it off King doesn't have as much power as one would think in these cases vs a Duke as long as they operate their territory their way (this can be seen as a counterpart to the US ironically, except everyone is on board to an extent).

This one is an over-shot, we have to go back to what you said, Orbaume is a collection of kingdoms ran by a vote system. There is nothing stopping them from having their own intelligence agencies and throwing out the idea of the Duchies not watching one another is not possible since it can be done for political and militaristic purposes like who to support with like ideals and who to stand against when ideals collides. Saying the other Dukes not knowing anything on Van is a bit lackluster save for those who're focused on themselves and gripe about Darcia getting Honorary Nobility due to long life (I give you full credit on this part since you brought it up).

Edit: We should have their POVs in separate side stories as each one will be different tbh and would be seriously interesting.

jubjub3000 likes this.
  14. jubjub3000

jubjub3000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In "Take of a lax demon" the main difference between the two is that demons were purely spiritual (unless summoned and given a body, then they can fuck you up) and daemons were just greedy creatures that only knew of robbing from the weak.

hillo315, Nakakure and Reman Scimitar like this.
  15. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is indeed highly original. The closest I could find was this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elective_monarchy
    We know that on Lambda the champions from "Earth" left a lot of information behind. I wonder if the concept of democracy was one of them? Perhaps a (very) bastardised version of that became the basis of the Orbaume Electoral Kingdom.

In the case of Orbaume, it has been said that one of the dukes gets elected but I've no idea if that is a strict requirement or simply a common practice. It's possible that it's entirely legal for them to elect anyone as king.

As for the central government, yeah I believe the king is basically a figurehead. The prime minster seems to have some real power though.

I seem to remember something saying that there's an election coming soon. Perhaps next year (in-world).

16. Efgbog

Efgbog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Orbaum Kingdom is kind of like the HRE, with the leaders electing a new leader (on death for the HRE) although it is on a smaller scale.
    Could also be 40k Deamons :hmm: Would maybe make Van a Daemon prince? Tzeentch perhaps?

hillo315 and jubjub3000 like this.
  17. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe
    :blobhero::blob_sunglasses:

jubjub3000 and hillo315 like this.
  18. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    If van is tzeentch then is "the evil God of joyful life" Slaanesh?
    And if that's so, then is guduranis the equivalent of khorne?
    So that means bellwood is nurgle?

19. Efgbog

Efgbog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can really see Limpybell being nurgle, but instead of physical plague hes a mental plague that reduces a person intelligence and individuality and makes them dependant on him.

20. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah he corrupts everyone he touches.

EDIT

But who's the God emporer of mankind's equivalent?

hillo315 and Reman Scimitar like this.