Discussion FL broke Arranged Marriage in pursue of power

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello guys, its me again~

As usual, I mainly discuss things that have character interaction or relationship in a novel.

So my purpose in creating this thread is to ask your opinion if you suddenly become the transmigrated or reincarnated person in the cultivation novel and you got the legendary broken arranged marriage theme. But, the female lead that got engaged to you broke the arrangement not because you are a trash in cultivation, you are a fallen genius or because she doesn't think you are worthy of her and go searching another young master.

It is purely because she want to obtain the highest peak of cultivation, she assumed that entwined or got in a relationship is gonna hinder her progress in obtaining her aim. She doesn't look down on you, she is just an aloof ice-cold beauty that sole purpose of life is pursuing cultivation path.

The question is do you give her another chance to become your wife if after some time interacting or during your and her path in cultivation some moments happen and she thinks that the journey to the peak will be better with you ?

Plot development like you save her during her crisis moment (saving damsel in distress) and she suddenly love you seems like a cheapskate. I will say that the plot development is she watches your struggle, determination and effort to cultivate despite the surrounding norm that you are a trash. She thinks that you and her together will make the journey to the peak become more interesting.

You can give me your view, any kind of comment is welcomed
    Thanks for your attention :blobparty:

Asiris, CosmicInsomniac and Meloman like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not interested in ice blocks. So... no.

earp and AMissingLinguist like this.
  3. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobfearful:
    :blobpeek::blobicecreamlove:

CosmicInsomniac and otaku31 like this.
  4. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure I'd add her to my hare--
    *looks again at who posted this question*

Just kidding.
    The situation you described, taken as it was, seems like there's a good chance at kindling a romance that didn't exist. However, there are a lot of unanswered questions from this supposed drama.
    What were the circumstances of the arranged marriage? Was it between two noble houses? Am I, the ML, royalty who now has to find a new partner of suitable rank?
    How was I supposed to feel about the wedding in the first place? Was my betrothed a childhood friend who ditched me for her career as an immortal runway model? Am I a cultivator looking for a solo career playing the bone flute instead of duets?
    Finally, how strong does she come on to me when we meet again? Is she so into cultivation that she sees me as a means to an end (Human cauldron) or as a partner and potential equal?

If this is a story, then the situation is only interesting if it has suitable dramatic hooks or develops the characters in a meaningful way. If it is real life (with magic), then the situation probably isn't as easy as it sounds, and if one of us is hung up on the other at all that means there's probably decades of tangled emotions to get over.

0000000, Zomula, Rumby and 2 others like this.
  5. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ill be honest when I saw "FL broke Arranged Marriage in pursue of power" I was like Florida did what? come again?

6. Halosty

Halosty New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Florida does lots of things.

Anyway, I'd always give anyone a chance if they weren't a horrible person and we didn't have any personal issues.
    I don't have a strong basis in a culture where shame to your family is worse than death, either, so it would just be a situation of them choosing to leave a marriage they never even asked for *shrugs*.

mir and Fluffy Jellyfish like this.
  7. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I forgot to describe the initial circumstances. I think that the usual broken arranged marriage theme is enough to describe it :blobpensive:

I would say that the initial circumstances is you don't know who your fiancee are, you know that you will meet her during your 16th birthday (just say adult ceremony) and during that you got reincarnated into 'your body' because the owner of the body got poisoned or some assassination

8. Primarx

Primarx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Depends on how she broke it, if properly explained in a polite , concise logical manner than ok.
    2) Also important is what type of personal relationship is between the 2 of you. If you were at best just friends than I think it's fine. If you were more than that and she threw it away as a burden than such a woman can be considered a burden herself that should be kept at a distance preferably a long one.
    3) if you still have a rather strong positive feeling towards her despite whatever in whichever way she has done till now and you without deceiving yourself can tell she is sincere and determined than I 'll give her a chance

keitachan and Fluffy Jellyfish like this.
  9. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    What is florida anyway? :sweating_profusely:
    Thanks for your input, I forgot that shaming the family part is important in this kind of setting :facepalm:

psyque likes this.
  10. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    3rd largest State in the Union based on population

11. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    If you didn't know her at all? Like the marriage is arranged by your grandfather or something and you two will meet only when you are older. Yeah, sure she meet you face-to-face to explain the circumstances and also she apologized properly for the incovenience she caused :blobokhand:

12. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought it is a character name though :facepalm:

13. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, considering she dumped me for her work, she'd definitely have some minus points.

Though since it's an arranged marriage (and we probably haven't seen each other a lot), the possibility is there.

However: Regardless of her intention, depending on how others would treat me after she broke the engagement, her chances might decrease, since - no matter how hard I try not to - part of me would always blame her for the following misfortune.

14. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Florida is infamous for bizarre news stories, so someone thinking that the state, or its residents, did something humorous is entirely reasonable.
    reddit.com/r/WTF_Florida/ will fill your idle time and make you boggle.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  15. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Again, if there were circumstances, like the family-shame mentioned elsewhere, issues may arise.

However, all things considered here, I would probably give her a chance at a relationship, but it would require effort on her part to convince me, since she had already spurned me once. I believe in granting second chances, but only to those who deserve them.

If you are writing a story, I do implore you to consider the tangential issues with arranged marriage, such as social status changes, being mocked by enemies/rivals, the dowry or other negotiable contract matters, etc. Marriages are arranged for a variety of reasons, and if the ML's family needed something other than a spouse, such as a noble title or a fabulous dowry to bail them out of debt, then there are legal and social damages to consider.

16. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    its the weather man......9 months of death by heatstroke followed by 3 months of "Bipolar Temperatures" [3 days of high 70s then 2-3 days of highs in the mid 40s rinse and repeat] will warp anyone's mind.

17. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget the bugs. Enormous insects and arachnids are everywhere, just waiting for you to let your guard down!

18. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    but back to topic [kind of] the lead pursuing power is fine and all but why is it in every flstory she has to be either a genius alchemist, medic, or assassin? why cant she be a Corporate CEO that goes "screw marrying a Prince, ill make it big on my own in this xainxia/xaunhaun world"

19. Odyssey

Reading List:
    Link
    well the state bird is the Mosquito

psyque likes this.
  20. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Just let her go

Thread Status: