(Poll) What is your ethnicity?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lychee, Dec 12, 2018.

Tags:
?

What is your ethnicity?

1. Han

32 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. Arab

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Bengali

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Russian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Japanese

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Punjabi

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Egyptian

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. French

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. German

8 vote(s)
    3.6%
  10. Javanese

14 vote(s)
    6.3%
  11. Vietnamese

12 vote(s)
    5.4%
  12. Korean

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  13. English

16 vote(s)
    7.2%
  14. Marathi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Telugu

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  16. Turkish

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Tamil

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  18. Irish

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  19. Italian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Gujarati

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  21. Thai

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Polish

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  23. Hausa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  24. Persian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Spanish

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  26. Kannada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. Yoruba

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. Portuguese

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  29. African American

14 vote(s)
    6.3%
  30. None of the above

83 vote(s)
    37.6%
  1. Katsurandom

Katsurandom [The One That Does Nothing][Villager C]

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel yah...

Was born 5 mins away from the US, live 20 mins away from them, and as such....the livestyle here is kinda weird....as a frontier city...

I...don't like mexico.......but i most definetly don't like the US either...

so here i'm on the internet rambling about it~

Nom de Plume, Femme Fatale and lychee like this.
  2. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too...Korean, but English is my only language, and I refuse to touch kimchi or fish.

Banana-yellow on the outside, white inside.:D

abewan, Beltran and Seraphic like this.
  3. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    *nods* But it is still valuable data! The interpretation that you might make from that is that at least 40% of NUF does not identify with one of the top 30 ethnicities in the world (by population).

I think it would have been more interesting if I could have fit like 50-100 ethnicities on the poll though.

4. Gregcardoso

Gregcardoso Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no brazilian :(

5. Neko

Neko (=^・ ω ・^=) ♪

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobwoah: I'm American born Chinese, but specifically fuzhounese... Which isn't on the list bc we're a small population lol

Femme Fatale likes this.
  6. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I reckon the reason why people put Spanish is because, like our Mexican friend stated here, they tick what seems closest. It would be like an American ticking English because that is the language they speak. Latin American would be up there even higher than Spanish if it was an option cause there is more of us (Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Bolivian, Peruvian, etc etc). Sorry, not trying to be difficult but it would be more accurate than just selecting it because we speak the same language.

Nom de Plume and lychee like this.
  7. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Ouch!!! It hurts too much...so I've been told. :blobjoy:

Nom de Plume, AzureM and Femme Fatale like this.
  8. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    :( It's weird when you kinda don't identify with any... I think of ethnicity as what I was born with.. when asked in RL I say I'm Puerto Rican American.... that is accurate, but I'm really, deep down Boricua always. XD

9. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Totally!

I'm really curious about how some countries aren't listed as an ethnicity at all.

For instance, Canadian, Australian, and American don't make the list because it's broadly assumed that (almost) everyone living there are immigrants from another ethnicity at some point.

And I guess Latin America is similarly complicated too, in a different way.

However, that doesn't change the fact that some people will fiercely insist that they're 'murican and sloppie joes are 'murican!

So it's interesting how there's such a variety interpretations and views that people have.

Seraphic and AliceShiki like this.
  10. eiruxise

eiruxise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point, everybody should have mixed ancestry.
    Me myself have chinese/malay/arab/dutch ancestry lol

11. macy2

macy2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, I think you choose the wrong thing to base the poll on. It seems to me that you're looking for racial identity? Cultural identity? (I may be wrong)

Ethnicity refers to what one identifies with as in the society, culture, language, etc. What one is most connected or similar with. Hence why you got super inclusive (ex.English) and exclusive groups up there. You can be an outright alien, adopted by Arabians, and identify youself as Arab for ethnicity.

Also, you picked a 'contemporary' list and thats even more confusing because contemporary (what does that even mean combined with ethnicity???). Also, I tried searching that up and only direct hits I'm getting is the wikipedia page you found your list on...so not the best choice of lists if wiki is the only one.

Nom de Plume and lychee like this.
  12. AzureM

AzureM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No brazilian =/

Gregcardoso likes this.
  13. lychee

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, some of these are very different.

Here's something I just looked up from this website:

Ethnicity is based on a group (called an ethnic group) that normally has similar traits, such as a common language, common heritage, and cultural similarities within the group. Other variables that play a role in ethnicity, though not in all cases, include a geographical connection to a particular place, common foods and diets, and perhaps a common faith.

Race is similar to ethnicity, but relates more to the appearance of a person, especially the color of their skin. It is no longer determined biologically, including inherited genetic traits such as hair color, eye color, bone structure, and jaw structure, among other things.

Most of the time, nationality refers to the place where the person was born and/or holds citizenship. However, often times nationality can be determined by place of residence, ethnicity, or national identity. If a person was born in Country A but immigrated to Country B while still a toddler (yes, with their family), he or she might identify (we’ll talk about identity in just a moment) more with the Country B nationality, having been raised there.

Heritage can overlap on the ethnicity and nationality a bit at times, but it generally refers to the ancestors of a person, and what they identified with. For example, a child born to naturalized U.S. citizens hailing from Venezuela could say they have a Venezuelan heritage, even if they don’t share the ethnicity (perhaps they can’t speak Spanish), and they are American as far as nationality.

Culture is similar to ethnicity, yet really more of a microcosm of it. It may involve one trait or characteristic, sort of like a subset of the various traits that make up an ethnicity. Perhaps a person may be ethnically Jewish, or they could subject themselves to simply one or two things of Jewish culture, such as wearing a kippah; this person may not necessarily relate with the entire macro-ethnicity that is being Jewish.

Identity is whatever a person identifies with more, whether it be a particular country, ethnicity, religion, etc. I read this great article by Zeba Khan on MuslimMatters.org: she was born in America, to a Pakistani father and an American woman of Irish descent; she doesn’t identify with either Pakistan or Ireland (too white for Pakistan, too dark for Ireland), and not much with America (she wears the hijab and eats halal). What she does identify with is her Muslim faith, which is similar across boundaries throughout the world.

I may be wrong, but I believe that refers to the fact that we do have some "extinct" ethnic groups. "Contemporary" I assume would refer to ones that currently still exist in the world, although there are quite a few that could be classified as "endangered".

Here's the Wikipedia category on extinct ethnic groups.

AliceShiki and Beltran like this.
  14. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Fun fact. According to research, by the year 3000, there will be no ethnicity left. There will be only one race and language left on earth because of interracial marriage and how fast our communication system developed. Ok I lied. But Doraemon will exist at that time though.

AliceShiki, Nom de Plume and lychee like this.
  15. macy2

macy2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @lychee

Alright, I guess I found my definition. thanks:blobsmilehappy:

But given the list of definition you posted up there. What exactly are you trying to track in our demographic specifically? All the votes you got there can literally be given with different interpretations. That makes for one giant skewed and biased pot of data. :hmm:

lychee likes this.
  16. Demonic Poring

Demonic Poring 『Well-Known Poring』

Reading List:
    Link
    None of the above. I'm half Korean - Javanese

Nom de Plume and Femme Fatale like this.
  17. userunfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Good choice. There's only so much you should suffer for vanity. :blobjoy:

Femme Fatale likes this.
  18. minlegacy

minlegacy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm mixed white/black, but am 2 racially ambiguous to identify as either... most people think im Samoan. plus i never really fit in w/ either. i just consider myself mixed.

lychee and Femme Fatale like this.
  19. Astroit

Astroit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm Australian,
    feelsbadman

20. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All these sperg reactions.