LCD Elixir Supplier

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by SerialBeggar, Dec 26, 2018.

1. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/elixir-supplier/

[​IMG]

I've only started reading this (currently on around ch-30+) and I don't know how to describe it. The writing style is pretty simplistic. I would have said it is a slice of life novel because of diary-like day-by-day chapters, except that I feel the MC is developing too fast. He's obliviously and naively drawing so much attention to himself, but it's not the author building up for a gag.

Ah. It looks like someone added Slice of Life to the genres now.

2. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    How good is this novel?

3. The Major

The Major Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's quite good actually but kinda slow paced

4. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it's not great, but it's not that bad either. I'd say it is low calorie fare. So far (ch-30+ for me) there hasn't been any conflict, so there haven't been any "action". The MC has a laid back personality and is focused on his work now that his cheat appeared. He's not a schemer or overly ambitious for status or money.

5. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not that good, the system plays little part in the story. This isnt even about gardening anymore lol

he f*cked up big time when he chose not to extend the life of Guo gramps. The guo family became power hungry and the son he saved tries to manipulate him except the girl and her butler. The Su family try to engage the girl to the Guo family which contradicts the reasons they chose to hire the MC to heal her in the first place! only few of the main family disagreed on the engagement. The Mc just too stupid because he keeps handling matters like a "proper citizen" lol. The sun and su family arent even healed after 300 chapters! instead we get random crap like "sworn brother wang bao engaged to a girl who had an abortion" or "cousin lost virginity at school, how do i handle this?"

6. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I just realized. This story's game-like system is similar to the one in The Defeated Dragon. While both systems are linked mission task + reward that purposely develop the MC, the difference is that the one here is a little more interactive (allows limited Q&A) and can occasionally give unsolicited advice.

7. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The translation has some oddities like licorice being used for magic herbs a lot of the time

8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this novel is average at best.
    it somehow became a chinese pharmacists making medicine with extinct or magical herbs that isnt real. selling money to the rich and powerful who somehow are okay with him being cocky and doesn't try to rob him of his field or herbs

instead it was the jealous neighbour who tried to rob him lol and he's like lulz bring it on.

the system also gave him cultivation techniques and he can already set up an illusion formation...yet somehow people are still able to run in and destroy his farm

there is also no distiction between the system and the mc chatters, so it does get confusing somewhat.
    the system is fine, it has ai and talks, but it adds some unnecessary description in his stats like
    "level 1 (LOL HOST IS NOOB)" which is just distasteful.

9. 1life4death

1life4death Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fine if you don't like the novel, everyone has their own opinion but I'm not sure if we are reading the same story. Because your off on some parts and doesn't seem like you understand the MC's intent or story if you think this just about gardening as the title clearly states Elixir Supplier ......

He didn't want to extend the life of Guo Gramps because death is a natural process in life. He mention multiple times he's not trying to play God. Which if he does, it will be against his own morals as he respect both the heaven and earth due to the teachings he got from the system as he view the system as a gift from God. Also the Guo family doesn't become power hungry. They already are a big well-known family in Beijing. The Father of Guo is the magistrate of the province. As for the son, he does tries to manipulate MC to being an asset he could use but on multiple occasions he was denied given MC seeing through his personality as a snake. Even the Guo father told the son to stop and don't take it too far as MC saves his life. This is later into the novel when the son tries to stop MC from seeing Su girl by using underhand tactics to affect MC home, and the father found out about it as he wasn't always at home due to work .

Also the engagement from the Su family was something the grandparents came up with because their families are close. The Su parents, and the girl doesn't like Guo son, even the brother hates him because they know Guo son is a snake. They also told the girl she can choose her own path and didn't have to be engaged to Guo son as it wasn't official, only talks between the older generation. So I don't know where you got this force engagement from.......

As for the sickness of the Su and Sun family, both disease are extremely rare and very bad conditions..do you really expect something like to just be cure in a chapter? of course it's going to take time as they slowly get better from their conditions. Given how this novel likes to take it a step at a time, even from the start, should be understandable and yes both of them do get cure.

I think you may had the wrong sworn bro that got engaged to a girl who had an abortion. Wang bao did like a girl who did had an abortion but she was hiding it from him until MC told him there was something wrong with her so he did a background check and found out about it. Wang bao later fell for a schoolteacher. And his cousin did lose her virginity but he put a stop to the relationship that could ruin her future and got her transfer to a better school.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    akki likes this.
  10. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    whoa. where did all these come from

is it in the translation yet?

anyway while i said that the novel is average at best, i will say that i enjoy reading this novel simply because i seem to like reading about side jobs and have been looking for such a novel for a long time.

but even then, it still tries to do many things and the author is very indecisive about which direction to bring the novel towards. i just hope that it doesnt not become a xianxia because it looks like the author wants to eventually turn it into cultivation novel

11. 1life4death

1life4death Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, not in translation yet, only raws. Also it does get a bit into the cultivation aspect but it doesn't takeover the main focus. You can think of it like one of the consistent side arcs, such as his romance and so forth. Main story still focus around his medical skills but every now and then it does touches on cultivation stuff like martial arts or spirits..etc.

12. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would suggest everyone to stop reading this. i've caught up with the raws and i've given up on reading anymore.

this story starts off well and seems to be interesting, but it later slowly turns the MC into an arrogant and selfish person. while the change is slow and not abrupt, partly because the slow is slow and is mostly a slice of life of an MC who wants to be a hermit, it does leave a bad taste in your mouth once you realize that the MC isn't the same MC you've started to like at the start of the novel.

at the start, the MC is portrayed as a nice and kind person. he literally jumped into a river and almost drowned to death while trying to save someone. he is filial to his parents and respects the old. he doesn't want to interact with the powerful people but is persuaded to by one person and then more and more people start looking for him. not to mention that the system itself issues missions where he has to get expensive herbs to make medicine. the second he gets rich however,

all these is forgotten and the MC wants to live life as a hermit, dedicating his life to the system and becoming the best pharmacist in the world. the system however, forces him to actively seek patients and heal them. as I mentioned earlier, he needs to buy expensive herbs to do this so he becomes okay with healing the rich and powerful. however he soon slowly shows his arrogance, where he refuses to treat people and is fine with watching them die if they do not obey his treatment plans which are almost all lifestyle changes (such as - do not eat fish, do not drink alcohol.. ect - oh yes, the author also hates fish for some odd reason since eating fish is somehow the root of all evil)

after a hundred chapters or so, the MC becomes proficient enough to use his medical knowledge to hurt people. and he does this often. making people who do not conform with his morals and views of the world or incur his displeasure crippled/handicapped/suffer. strangely, he does not do anything to the rich people who target him and only attack the goons who annoy him and his parents.

fast forward a few more hundred chapters where his cultivation finally puts him at the top of the world, he starts using his internal strength to burst people eardrums and drive them insane as well.

at chapter 600, he finally causes someone's death due to his selfishness. he clearly knows that his formation on the mountain is harmful as it almost killed his mother a long time ago, and the formation later caused the death of someone who walked in accidentally to try and pluck some wild grass.

this formation is a little strange to be honest. at the start, it was only a an illusion formation, but later it became a qi gathering formation for no reason, then it started to hurt people and kill people...

oh and the MC also went on to burst the eardrums and drive the children of the old man whom he killed when they confronted him about it.
    as for the romance....

i dont know what the author is trying to do with the romance honestly. he was in a good relationship with one of the characters and they were happy and almost engaged, but she just dropped out of the story. apparently her ex bf came back but she didn't accept him back so...i dunno...?anyway yea she dropped out of the story like this

a few hundred chapters later, it was said that they weren't talking ever since and then just gone.... and that sick rich girl who was treating him suddenly kept on popping out in the story....

13. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't thank you enough for your sacrifice of having read this novel that looks really bad from your pov. Really thank you ! Made me not lose my time. I really dislike villainous MCs. I clicked on this thread to ask spoilers and see if this novel was good, i'm not disappointed (Edit: oops half not disappointed, happy i got my answers and disappointed because i wanted to read a good story and i liked the premise of a Elixir Supplier as a MC and i was told the story is really bad), i'm also thankful to the creator of the thread.

1) Couldn't he have tried to explain more peacefully that his changes to lifestyle he said be the ONLY WAY to save them ? If i had to follow the lifestyle of stopping eating meat to survive, i would have a hard time (and maybe become really depressed all my life) following it but i would have the little happiness of being alive.
    OR are they stupid stuffs like not eat fish (the motto of author) for NO GODAMN REASON ?

2)Does he attack only the goons of the rich or do he also attacks innocent people ?

3)I'm kinda defending author here but i think it's only logical to only defend yourself against attacks from subordinates but not try to attack the masterminds. I mean if you ignore the possible ending where "MC is forever hunted down by the police or army but still beat them", i think it's preferable to not break the laws and not try to kill the bad guys that don't try to kill him directly. UNLESS you tell me there are possible methods where author wrote about or could have written about that allow MC to kill the villainous rich guys EASILY AND WITHOUT BE SPOTTED BY THE GOVERNEMENT. Beside engaging assassins or poisoning them, i don't know what could MC do to kill them, and this methods would pretty hard to do.

4)Again i'm asking does he do that to innocent people ? The bursting eardrums and driving them insane shit.

5)MC should be regretful of having killed a innocent guy by his formation but looks like author had other (stupid) plans.

6)Couldn't he remove or modify or destroy the formation ? When i think of formations i think of drawn magic circles on the ground in isekai tropes or maybe some magic stones put around in formation. But somehow i feel like it's different (totally invisible and magical stuff like a curse).

7)I think you forgot the word "insane" in your sentence : "and drive the children". So basically he crippled the INNOCENT (important) children of one of his accidental victims ?

8)I'm for quite a long while a fan of stories with romance (and only hope it's good). With villainous MCs i also dislike bad romance so yeah again a NOPE for me. Also again a typo, shouldn't it be MC treating the sick rich girl or something ? Unless you tell me she is treating by sometimes lodging and feeding him.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  14. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i find it hard to read your post after the first paragraph (cus therse no line spacing or paragraphing...) and your number 1-7 seems like questions...are they questions??????

or are you just summarizing what i said?

anyway like you, i was excited about elixir supplier too but i wont be reading it anymore.
    perhaps someone who is willing to ignore all the flaws of the novel can push on to chapter 900 or 1000 and tell me if the girlfriend ever comes back.

as for the sick rich girl he was treating, like i said, the author seems to be trying really hard to get them together. she even started cultivating after the MC told her ONE LINE of the scripture that he was meditating on.

anyway you seem to misunderstand when i say the MC attacks people. he doesn't beat them or fight them. he will use his (cheat/godly) medical skills to induce an incurable illness in people. like make them puke blood over and over again, become handicapped, or itch all over and so on.

i think he made one guy fall down every few steps and he flew around china visiting hospitals, only to come back to the mc

then there will be paragraphs about these people going to the hospitals in various places and eventually coming back to the mc to beg him to cure them.

so he can def kill people without anyone getting any clues but like i said, he only does this to the goons, his patients or people he doesn't like (even if they did nothing to mc, and just did something the MC does not like)

15. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are both questions and my reactions to different parts of what you said.

After reading your 2nd post -> basically he stay safe and give sicknesses to enemies ? (beside the old man that accidentally died)
    In your response you said he does that to "his patients or people he doesn't like" (i don't care about the villain goons) -> does he cure all of them later on ? or does he let some forever sick ? also like i said : aren't they innocent ? expecially the "one he doesn't like".

Added space between the numbers for better visibility in my previous post but yeah i will say it again, they are questions, you can see that there are some "?".

16. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ah okay.

1) like i said before, the mc becomes very proud, arrogant later on. while he does set up his own clinic, he expects all of his patients to obey everything he says. we can only read what is written by the author and every patient is "do this do that, dont do this."
    so we don't know.
    one patient that i remember which i felt was unreasonable was set during CNY, where chinese have their reunion dinner. the mc told her not to eat meat or something (i cant rmb), but since it was a celebration, her children asked her to eat a tiny bit so she ate. and then the mc was like "you die your problem from now on!" during the next checkup and refused to treat her.
    and like i mentioned, almost all his treatment plans are like never eat xx for the rest of your entire life

2/3/4 - it depends on what you mean by innocent. besides the goons, these people are just normal people and usually his neighbours. the people who he blew the eardrums, like i said earlier, came to visit him and confront him about why their dad died outside of his mountain.
    i mean, if your dad died outside somebody's house for no bloody reason, you too would confront the owner and ask wtf happened.
    also like i said, the mc can cause sickness in people that is not noticeable and untreatable, so he can def kill those people who hurt him but nope. he doesn't.

7 -??

8- i dunno cant be asssed to read anymore. maybe someone will ignore the things i posted out and power on for the rest of the 200 chapters that i didnt read. there is 900 chapters right now and i stopped around 700. the romance is super slow and even with his current gf, she only appeared several times when the mc celebrates some occasions.the mc even brought her home and stuff. it looked like they were getting married but the gf just up and disappeared. this took almost 600 chapters to develop the relationship!
    they also used to talk daily on wechat/qq/whatever but they just stopped.

and now there is the new girl, the patient who likes him. it really looks like the author is trying to ship them together cus she even started cultivating after the mc told her one line from the taoist classics but again, i cant be bothered anymore.

maybe the mc will get together with the girl, and then the ex girlfriend will come back 1000 chapters later and the mc will have to decide which girl he wants, or this girl will disappear too just like the current girl for no reason.

the girl is also rich and super pretty so many families are trying to arrange a marrage with her, so maybe the mc will go and make them all puke blood for months again cus rmb, he only hurts people who have no ill will towards him. those people who actively plots and schemes against the MC, send goongs to hurt him and his family will be fine.

as for your question if any one of those people who he induced sickness in dies, the answer is no. because they all know that the MC did it to them. they dont know why or how and ran to several hospitals but no doctor can detect or treat it, so they eventually return to beg them mc to treat them.

17. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    I see that this novel went premium while I left it to stack. And it is just as well, I was considering putting this novel aside. The MC was really annoying me due to him not having any sense of urgency.

Oh, your son is suffering from a debilitating illness? I'll see him when the season changes to Spring, gimme a call then. OK, it's reasonable for him to take a couple of days to research and ponder what treatment to give the boy when he finally meets the father and sees that the son does looks like a withered corpse. However, when he does come up with a basic plan, he doesn't call the father up on the phone to tell him about it so he could start making medication. Instead, he calls the father up to make an appointment to discuss it! :blobReach:

And when he does meet the father, the MC doesn't bring along any medication to immediately start treatment. He had already decided on the most immediately needed medication to bring the boy out of his critical state. Like did he think the father wouldn't accept his treatment plan and/or refuse use the medication? The father already implied he was willing to give him a blank check if he could cure his boy. :facepalm: So, the MC now has permission to implement his treatment plan, so does he start concocting medication, after all, they met in the morning? No, let's do it tomorrow!

Later, oh your son also has insomnia due to his chronic pain? After pondering, the MC decides on a particular medication, he has all the ingredients on hand. Does he concoct it now? Nah, he'll drink some tea, read some scriptures, visit friends for dinner, read some more scriptures, and have a good night's sleep for himself first. :facepalm:

18. GingerMessiah

GingerMessiah Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you noticed our doctors in the modern day is the same without a sense of urgency?

As explained before by others and under the genre this is a slice of life story. The famous saying at least in Chinese even a Doctor is a man. He has his own life as well. Do you expect him to dedicate his all to saving all others and not have his life as well? Another Chinese phrase “Even when hanging yourself you need a breather”. Meaning there should still be a time to take a break regardless of situations. Otherwise you burnout.

In context of Chinese medicine this is not ready made contemporary medicine where you just go to a pharmacy and have it ready. Chinese medicine takes time to cook and prepare. If we go with the way the author describe his form of preparing medicine. It requires a mental state, time and careful technique that takes hours to complete the concoctions. Examples were shown when the two old doctors stood hours watching him brew medicine and his best friend commenting how Wang Yao can be so patient.

Later on for the sake of the story we don’t need to repeat mentioning of this process. So surely this is understandable especially when the patient is stable and not in critical condition.

Orinjj, bloddyrose and Wujigege like this.
  19. GingerMessiah

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I should give another side to Tides’ explanation as he already dislike this novel.

I think you haven’t reached that stage of life yet or haven’t met the type of doctors who use the same sentences given by Wang Yao. Lifestyle changes are repeated by doctors everyday. You even get it in the news and tell people to eat healthy and exercise.

In the novel Wang Yao and the author explained clearly even if you heal the illness the problem still exist. If you don’t get to the bottom of the problem recurring illness will relapse.

Unfortunately we have to accept humans are not born to live forever. Our organs and it’s functions will deteriorate over time. No medicine will fix and bring it back to perfection. Wang Yao mused to himself time and time again as well as explain to people, if you want to live change. That’s the sacrifice you have to make. But those who refuse it is up to them.

I do notice a lot of hatred for fish but in this case it’s referring to eating raw fish and meat, which have become a trend in China and elsewhere in Asia. There are well documented case that parasites exist in sashimi, tapeworms and others in red meat but people ignore these danger. Traditionally Chinese shun uncooked meat so that explains why.

He used inner Qi and his knowledge of the acupuncture points in human body to afflict them with strange ailments. Wang Yao doesn’t kill them but make them admit their mistake and repent for their crime. He alleviated them of their ailments with no lasting damage. In most cases they changed for the better especially with a Doctor who was shameless and wanted to steal his achievement.

Some pushy patients, their friends and families were forced out of his medical clinic. Some by the way of inner Qi and some he did rupture their eardrums. Ruptured eardrums do not mean deaf for life. Ruptured eardrums can be healed over time in most cases.

Tides talked about Wang Yao kicking out the children of the man who died outside his Nanshan medicine field. Wang Yao regretted the death as he felt guilty for it and planned to compensate in some way for it. But if we look at how Nanshan is contracted him for 20 years and he made 20 years donation to the village. You really expect villagers to get the drift and not trespass on private property. So Wang Yao’s formation was necessary but unfortunately the old man died from heart attack being trapped in the stone maze whilst searching for wild vegetables.

The old man’s son was looking for trouble and known to be a prodigal child. Another word a troublemaker and only returned home because he already had an illness. So he raised a fuss at Wang Yao’s home likely to look for compensation.

The author could easily have avoided this scenario that pissed off some people like Tides but he added the controversy to make it more realistic that modern world and a magical formation could lead to unwanted circumstances.

Considering he’s only been practicing pharmacy, formations and cultivation so on for less than 2 years. Mistakes are shown that Wang Yao is still very amateur and still learning.

He removed two points in the stone maze so that people can leave in the future to avoid same problem happening.

Read above about the prodigal child. He recovered from the lesser injury caused by Wang Yao but his only incurable illness still exist.

The romance between Wang Yao and Tong Wei was doomed from the start. Only thanks to Yang Ming the rival classmate that they got to meet again. Tong Wei likes the big city and exciting lifestyle whilst Wang Yao always had been a bit of a recluse even before he got his powers. Tong Wei meeting her first love didn’t help with the situation. In real life there are a lot of these problems happening because their first love appear and mess with the woman’s mind. Relationships are normally broken because of that and not some mindless thing thought up by the author.

There was a dreamlike memory when he healed Su Xiaoxue (rich girl) where it may hint that he is destined to be with her.

Nonexistance, Orinjj and bloddyrose like this.
  20. GingerMessiah

Reading List:
    Link
    He is still filial to his parents and respect the elders. That has not changed.

With regards to his arrogance you really still expect him to be humble when...

1) People talk behind his back
    2) Question openly his qualification even when he ignored their whispers
    3) Complain about the cost when they are driving expensive cars and wearing designer clothings
    4) Try to time and time again shutdown his medical clinic
    5) Force him to heal people against his will and only stop when he shown some power
    6) Steal his achievement
    7) Try to steal his formula through reverse engineering
    8) Harassing his parents (would you go to someone’s clinic on a Sunday and it’s not open and still bang on their parents’ doors and demanded to be healed?)

I think it is very reasonable to develop a bit of an attitude against people.

You comment about rules and I’m not sure are you rebellious yourself or not. Every doctor has rules. He’s a private medical practitioner and not a public one where he has to please the public. Which is sadly the expectation with people these days.

In one scenario Wang Yao saw 37 patients and that’s a lot especially considering the fact he healed half of them.

I know you don’t like it but if the patient was given a valuable medicine and Wang Yao had to use a lot of time only for the patient to not listen and ruin the treatment. It means wasting the medicine, Wang Yao’s time and the time he could have used to heal someone else. So what’s wrong with him refusing to treat him again? Oh and yes there are doctors like this in the real world. Not every doctor has to suck up to you like in the west.

I noticed you said he watched people die and not heal them. Perhaps you skip the details or expect doctors to always do their best for the patients. Like what the system said in one of the chapters. You are not Jesus/God to Wang Yao. There were terminal illness patients that was stated clearly Wang Yao cannot cure with his current expertise. The other cases were the fact the patients were too old and man cannot live beyond their lifespan instead of extending their lives for them to suffer in pain. It was better for them to rest in peace. A still ethical question being asked today to keep the patient alive and suffering or to let them die with dignity.

This novel have been about medicine from the very start. You bemoan about the fact that you hate it turning into cultivation. Yet you expect Wang Yao to deal with the rich and powerful families with force who have yet to harm him. Next you feel painful that an innocent man who trespassed on his private property died accidentally through a heart attack?

This novel is no way perfect and the romance I don’t like how it is leading neither, but picking on the flaws the way you see it and failing to see the good is rather unfair.

You don’t need to respond. This is for new and old readers to have a fairer judgement.