The Launch of Scribble Hub!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tony, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    i took a look at Goblin Slayer's tag on anidb.
    i also took a look at mangaupdate's (for reference/comparison)

personally, i fiind anidb's version of tagging messy. Detailed, but messy. (and quite confusing).
    one of the main reason i think it is messy is because they mixed genre with tags. or at least, it looks that way to me.

genre should be the story's theme, style, or classification.
    tags should be 'what's in the story'. these could be events, character's trait, or other miscellaneous identifiers included in said story. t

imho, 8 genres and 20 main tags (current limit on Scribble Hub) is adequate enough to tell potential readers of what they should expect from a story.

one of my goal for 2019 is to trim down those novel with bloated tag counts. *snip* *snip*

Blitz and Raneday like this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Use the Reading List function, it already has everything you're asking for.

Ultrabenosaurus likes this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Anidb does include genres and tags in same one, but in retrospect they split out character tags with anime tags. Aka, they do spliting simply different.

For reference, I had to use up 7 out of my 20 to describe the protagonist (and I am not talking about abilities even)

Not to mention there are dicy tags such as "rape", where weights can make a ton of difference between someone reading and not reading. Here is a recent example of how a tag can cause confusion due to lack of weights:
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/why-the-rape-tag.79472/

I will also remind tags exist not just for seeing what a story is about but searching for stories too. limiting tags simply gives people less access to find what they wish to find.

4. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony This really bugs me, either bottom align it or change the font so they are all the same or make them button (in their own box) / divide with a | or something...

https://i.imgur.com/oZNThVW.jpg

I don't why it bugs me. I don't want to call it bad design but it isn't perfect.

5. Novel Life

Novel Life Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m wishing for your success!

6. Lokumi

Lokumi 『The second greatest trash of society』

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony I didn't read all the comment here so I don't know if it was already proposed but here an idea/
    Why not make the reading list linkable to NU, I mean that we can see the scribble hub reading list on NU (though I understand if you want to keep them separate), but it would help a lot for scribble hub to grow bigger, and if it become bigger it would help NU to become bigger.
    Other than that I hope it will be successful !

7. Mister Div

Mister Div ? ¿ Founder of The Anti loli Alliance!!!

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Jadiii

Jadiii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a little disappointed. @Tony had the perfect opportunity to make a site named Novel Updates 2, but he went and named it scribblehub instead.

Quick, there's still time, before the site gets too popular and people get used to it!

9. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool idea. I'm gonna wait a bit for more chapters to gather, though :)

@Tony why do Series Ranking and Latest Series use different format for word count?
    Also, if you want to keep the precise one, I think the rule is to use a space for tens of thousands (meaning 1-9999, then 10 000+) and millions, etc. A separator makes it easier to read.

10. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand tags are used to search for stories. But when multiple tags are used in combination with 'and', you will get a very little to none results. And this happens to NU, because there's just too many less important tags. In fact, you'd get better results by 'excluding' tags. Just like how you use Google.

you, my friend, are too used to NU's tagging it feels you're forgetting the one important factor, Author vs. Reader. unlike NU's or Anidb's or M-U's which the tags depends on audience's input, Scribble Hub (SH), tags are listed by author. Therefore, the way of tag usage is different. It is actually an 'advertisement' by the author. That’s why, if given two sets of tags, one by the author's and one by readers, I’d trust readers' any time of the day. Author...not so much.

When has it ever been easy finding 'the story you truly want' on fiction sites? Is it because their tag system is weak? No, it is because almost no author would label/tag their story with "rapist Protagonist". At most, they'll just give a warning "this story contains extreme/graphic / sexual content. Readers discretion is advised". or, "this story contains rape and incest".

As a reader, I’d be more thankful and appreciative towards authors who made characters page, maps, illustrations, glossaries. Those are what truly add to the stories' immersion.

Lastly, tony is a sucker for 'looks'. And having a lot of tags on-screen is counter to that. Unless he made a system that allows 100 tags, 80 'invisible' (for the sake of searching/filtering), and 20 visible, or something similar to that, I truly doubt he'll increase it too much than what it is now
    photo_2019-01.jpg

(how it looks on my phone. 17 tags, 8 genres)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    AliceShiki likes this.
  11. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wow, is this the new age of western web novels?:eek: Amazing Tony:blob_pompom:

12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    More than 20 tags is honestly a waste IMO. I can't for the life of me know what a novel with 64 tags is about, it has so much information that I end up just looking at rather the protagonist is male/female and use the summary for anything else.

Tags should only highlight somewhat important things of the novel, not every single minor thingy... >.>

Ophious and Ultrabenosaurus like this.
  13. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. While maybe certain tags could be used for search filtering only, tags should just some up a basic idea of what the novel is about.

Ophious and AliceShiki like this.
  14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Part of that is because many stories are lacking tags. Some have a lot while others have only a few.

You can keep authors honest through tag voting. Author sets tags while readers upvote them.

That depends. Let us move away from that extreme and look at Naive Protagonist. That could be a double edge sword. A lot of people don't like naive protagonists, but sometimes the protagonists starts out naive and matures with time in the story. So Author may want to warn users that protagonist will be naive but assure them it will change with time.

Keep in mind, that lying to your users is the quickest way to lose ratings. Trying to bring in users that will rate your novel poorly will backfire for the author.

That is where Mangaupdates approach comes in, hide all tags that are below 2 or 3 star behind a link/button.

It is more important for searching, and to be honest part of the issue is that the tags aren't categorized. If they were broken down into categories, they would be easier to see, even with 20 of them.

15. Ultrabenosaurus

Ultrabenosaurus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony some people seem incapable of numbering their chapters and expect us all to know the sequence by title alone; can you please force chapter numbers to show across the site somehow?

For example, say I load the Scribble Hub home page and a story I read is showing on Latest Updates with a chapter I haven't read yet. If there is a chapter number I have a good chance of knowing that, yes, I have read the previous one so I can go straight into the new chapter. If there is only a chapter title then for all I know it's the 2nd or 3rd new chapter since I last checked, they just got pushed off the home page by other authors, so I have to first go to the TOC and check.

Alternatively I guess you could add another highlight option in the reading list global settings, so that "new chapters" and "the next chapter after your current bookmark" can have separate colours. That way it's obvious to people, at least those who put in a smidgen of effort to set up the highlight colours, whether they are safe to click on a numberless chapter title or if doing so will lead to trauma-by-spoilers.

16. doggo

doggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What would happen if an author writes both in SH and another platform? Or, why author's stick with a single website when they can publish their work in multiple platforms? Is there a downside?

17. Alchemist_God0

Alchemist_God0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    looks and sounds very interesting......I'm checking it out right now.

18. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. @Tony isn't trying to monoplize the webnovels. It's like how webnovel authors now often post on their own website, RR, Wattpad, etc.

doggo likes this.
  19. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    It's annoying to update your novel in multiple platforms... Aside from that, no real downside in putting it all over the place~

doggo likes this.
  20. kanadaj

kanadaj Royal Road Overlord

Reading List:
    Link
    :'(

tskalabri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.