Scribble Hub Feature Request

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ohko, Jan 3, 2019.

1. ohko

ohko 【LGBTQ+ association】 【ohko is ohko!】

Reading List:
    Link
    A few suggestions from my side as well!

A: I think I’ll +1 when @AliceShiki mentioned having a preview button, kind of like how NUF has a preview button. Currently, I have to save the draft when I want to preview my chapter, and if I do that multiple times, the page view count ends up inflating and it’s my own views! >.< Is it possible for author views not to count towards the page view count?

B: Could the trending novels on the front page be changed from weekly trending to daily trending? I feel like the current way it is, it heavily biases towards existing popular novels, making it harder for smaller ones to gain exposure. I’m also curious about how the weekly trending is calculated? Is the ranking reset once per week or is it calculated for the past 7 days every day? I think the latter is better than the former.

C: Likes on profile posts!!

D: The recent updates on the front page only shows one page, even though the pagination bar is still present. (EDIT: Fixed!)

E: Sitewide activity (for chapter comments and such) kind of like how there’s a “lounge” for profile posts.

F: Deviantart has this “Journal” feature that displays on artist profile pages, and I think it’s really nice because sometimes we have things we want to write/commentary but don’t want to stick it in a chapter or make a dedicated page for. This is a wish-list item more than anything else!

G: RRL has this thing where you can break up your review stars into multiple subcategories.

H: A way to get an alert notification (as a reader) when a novel you’ve “starred” is updated. Alternatively, an option to get notifications/alerts when an author you’re following posts a new chapter. Currently the alerts only come when an author posts a new series.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    SummerForest likes this.
  2. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    Jjwxc (the Chinese novel site) has this thing called “fertiIizer”.

Basically the way it works is that veteran readers gain fertilizer after making X amount of reviews written/comments posted/chapters read (idk, you can make up a system... jjwxc actually has it at a very high bar), and they can choose to spend that fertilizer on the novels they like most.

Maybe like 1 fertilizer per 20 reviews?

The key point about this is that fertilizer is limited (unlike favorites), valuable, and concentrated in the hands of people who have read a lot.

Therefore, the fertilizer leaderboard is more like an “editor’s selection” than a typical ranking.

SummerForest likes this.
  3. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Trending is daily views now!
    The rankings work by calculating the past day/week/month's stats for:
    Activity: A mix of comments, maybe releases, and some other stuff (Tony forgot lol)
    Popularity: Views
    Favorites: How many favorites. Not sure if it's averaged or not.
    Readers: How many people have it in their reading list.
    By only calculating once every day/week/month, it saves server resources.

SummerForest likes this.
  4. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A.) Isn't it better to be shameless? :blobrofl:

B.) The weekly trending was never meant to be permanent. I figured I would just leave it alone and see how everything goes. I just switched it to daily trending (based on popularity) though. I'll definitely switch it again in the future to see what works the best. The weekly trending was reset once per week. I agree that the latter is better but honestly, I didn't think about it at that time when I was implementing it :sweating_profusely:. It's also the reason I'm really grateful for all these suggestions and bug reports. It's a lot better bouncing ideas off each other rather than doing it all alone.

C.) Pretty much all "likes" addict has asked for this. I guess I should when I get some free time. The new forums will be up in a week though so you can temporarily use the new forums for that.

D.) Yup, totally fixed.

E.) It's something I planned already. I'm going to sit down when I can and see how I'll implement it. I'll have to work in the new forum threads too.

F.) Is it just a personal blog? I've been to Deviantart a few times in the past, mostly due to someone posting their translations there but I'm not familiar with them.

G.) Having multiple subcategories for ratings is definitely a plus for readers but for authors, I'm not so sure. I thought about implementing it but decided to go with a simple five star rating. Not sure if all authors can take the brutal honesty. I feel like quite a few would quit because of it. Maybe I'm just overthinking it?

Oh!!! That's really interesting. That sounds like a really awesome feature. I'll have to implement something similar in the future :blobokhand:

5. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    Another one!

For complete novels, is there an easy/obvious way to indicate to readers that it is complete?

For instance, "chapters per week" probably shouldn't show for completed novels.

Donutmindme likes this.
  6. Donutmindme

Donutmindme [dounut][Zodiac:Golden snake][PROcrastinator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Also away to show if a novel has possibly gone on hiatus.

7. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    And show the author when browsing series ranking/series finder/latest updates~

(Sometimes I like to read novels that were by authors I already like)

SummerForest and Donutmindme like this.
  8. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    After 3 months of inactivity the novel would automatically switch the status from ongoing to hiatus

Donutmindme likes this.
  9. Donutmindme

Donutmindme [dounut][Zodiac:Golden snake][PROcrastinator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds about right.
    Yep.

10. Ophious

Reading List:
    Link
    Couldn't you just go on the Authors profile and click on the series button to see what series they've written?

11. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but I think it's nice to have the author name listed on the series search results/rankings as well.

With so many short stories being uploaded, if ScribbleHub turns into the type of site where authors tend to upload multiple stories, I actually tend to know novels by their authors rather than their titles. >.<

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 5.55.38 PM.png

12. Ophious

Reading List:
    Link
    True, because you know this person write good stories you would tend to want to read there work more than new wroks

13. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    yikes!:sweating_profusely:
    That site looks really hard to look at

14. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, it is a blog (like the NUF blog), but what I like a lot about the way that deviantart does it is the layout of the artist profile pages.

The most recent blog post is featured on the artist page, and it's really helpful because artists often use that space to post announcements that wouldn't for example... be flooded under the comments that eventually get posted on the wall. It's really versatile. Some artists use it kind of like a "welcome" message, to list their commission prices, run fundraisers, celebrate holidays/events, write a long-winded letter about why they're going on hiatus, talk about real life, or just use it as a plain old blog.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 6.30.52 PM.png

No one ever said that fictionpress was pretty. :blobxd::blobxd::blobxd:

Actually, before RRL/Wattpad came along (which wasn't that long ago), basically all of the popular western fiction writing sites were really ugly!

15. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I should replace "chapters per week" with a "completed" status instead. Well, there is a "completed" status on the right sidebar for novels but it doesn't stand out that much.

You can go edit your novel and change the status of your novel manually or wait 3 months for the site to automatically do it for you.

I wanted to put the author name next to the titles for the series ranking/series finder but I couldn't make it look nice so I removed it :blobshh:

I'll go try again when I can

A blog system is easy to implement and shouldn't take that long but fun things will have to come later. I need to focus on improving the site for both readers and authors first.

ohko and SummerForest like this.
  16. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right now the most important thing is to start the journey. New features and enhancement can always be added later on.

ohko and Raneday like this.
  17. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    ^

SummerForest and ohko like this.