Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, it's an area where Van has generally prioritised emotion over rationality, despite him generally being someone very strong on rationality. Van is someone who looks emotionless but is actually full of emotion and we've seen specific cases in the past where he's gained enjoyment/pleasure from attaining revenge. So one obvious reason for him to be less gung-ho on achieving revenge would be for him to feel little/no pleasure from it. Of course, if he has a rational reason for killing someone he still would.

I raised it as a related rather than a direct example. Emotionally, he wouldn't want to let those threats go. But he can rationalise his actions (or rather, inaction).

2. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    My general impression based on what the author has been hinting at in comments is that simply persuading Van not to attack Heinz on sight would require a miracle (miracle = act of god = act of Botin?). Also, Heinz is expecting that and wants power so that he can survive long enough to try to persuade Van to stand down. If that's the case then Heinz would probably not attempt to approach Van in the middle of a city, for example, as he'd probably be worried about collateral damage. On the other hand, he might specifically make an approach in a more public place where Van has a lot to lose by being violent. At the least, I would expect Heinz to be quite cautious about when/where/how to approach Van. Maybe Heinz will send Van a letter...?

So my general impression of a scenario on them meeting would be Heinz trying to desperately survive while Van attacks him and some outside intervention (Botin, or Botin via someone like Juliana) at least gets Van to pause and listen a bit. Things will briefly look positive for Heinz... only for Edgar/DK to make an attack on Van in the opening. Which would obviously undermine Heinz's position massively. I wouldn't be surprised if Heinz is forced to attack (kill?) Edgar as a result.

We might get a round-table discussion later on but that might be more of an "epilogue" that confirms certain things rather than the real climax scene.

We shall see!

3. jubjub3000

jubjub3000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We need a round table!!!

And we shall see!

4. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    Something something horny rabbits something something.

10 meters per second squared is a high value. It varies somewhat depending on exact location, but the standard is 9.80665 meters per second squared. The g-force you experience depends on your altitude; you will weigh less at the equator and more at the poles.

With high enough stats, a human can survive pretty much anything.

I've actually been playing this scenario out in my head for a few days now. Best to get it out there before I totally forget it.

Van: "Alright, you just want to talk. I'll listen."
    Edgar: "Die!"
    Van: "Hollow Cannon."
    Edgar: *rekt*
    Heinz: "Why did you kill Edgar?!"
    Van: "You just wanted to talk. So that guy who wanted to kill me has nothing to do with you, right?"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Korleone, Bla8bla, Nakakure and 5 others like this.
  5. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with what you specifically say above. However, I don't think it matters for the suggestion I was making: based on examples to date and how certain scenarios could play out, I think that Alda could be bitten by him playing fast-and-loose with the term "Demon King" and not being careful enough with spelling out the precise meaning of his directives.

Yes, getting Van to listen to that at all might take something exceptional.

Van sees Heinz and Alda as both being enemies, currently. He's not going to treat them differently if there happens to be conflict between them. Unless he can somehow get over his intense anger towards Heinz.

6. Szmiiit

Szmiiit Lightweavers' Hemalurgist

Reading List:
    Link
    With my guesstimates 2% error is nothing.

7. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's actually the opposite rationale. The thing that causes g-forces to kill something is the rapid movement of blood due to momentum. Either the blood is all driven away from the brain, causing the brain to starve, or it is all driven too the brain causing the brain to burst blood vessels. As such, anything that has blood and is large in size would actually be MORE susceptible to g-forces. A human dies at 10-20 g-forces. A horse would die at around 5-10 g-forces. A T-rex? It would probably die at around 3-6 g-forces. This is all due to the blood having more room in the body to pool in places.

Physical strength can influence it somewhat, but the effect of physical strength is not that high. Vitality stats might help, so creatures that are small but have VERY high vitality stats might be Ok (like Van,) or creatures that specifically have stronger blood vessels than other creatures or can consciously move their blood (like Van) or creatures that do not have blood at all (like legion, Khul, or any undead, but I don't think an undead could be considered to have "survived.")

jubjub3000 and hillo315 like this.
  8. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhighfive:

I was thinking something more like:
    Van: Ahh, what a glorious day. Finally... finally... you will die! :blobangery::blobhero:
    Heinz (while desperately dodging/blocking): Wait...! Ack.... Please listen!... Eeek...! I'm sorry!
    Van: Muahaha. You can't escape from the Great Demon King! :blobdevil:
    [insert miracle here]
    Van: Okay... fine... I'll give you a minute. Explain yourself. :blobunamused:
    Heinz: Really!? Phew... Okay... Er, Edgar...?
    DK/Edgar: Gehehe! Die fool!
    Van: So it was a trap after all. Well, time to massacre them all. :blobthumbsdown:
    Heinz: Ehh!? Wait, this wasn't my intention!
    Van: Oh really? Then why don't you prove it by dealing with it yourself? :hmm:
    Heinz: Eh...? Gnn...! Dammit, there's no other way!
    [Heinz and DK/Edgar fight]
    Van (eating popcorn): I never knew how enjoyable it was to see your enemies kill each other. :blobpopcorn:
    [Heinz eventually kills DK/Edgar]
    Heinz: Wahh! Why did it have to turn out this way! *sob*
    Van: Well, I'm in a good mood right now. Try giving your explanation again... :blobmelt::blobowoevil:

9. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    Any predictions o
    I'm sure van or darcia would point out that Edgar has been taken over by the demon king or maybe "edgar" would tell Heinz himself.

EDIT

But any predictions for both the next chapter and next volume?

I think the next chapter will set up the next volume with a cliff hanger like if it's a school arc next then the entrance ceremony with the last couple line van being forced to talk to selen

10. Szmiiit

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, a T-rex wouldn't survive much, but I am not talking about any rank 7, only humanoid ones. What might not be clear in my posts is that I am talking only about small beings with strengths and resistances comparable to huge ones. Thanks to this the forces that push on them are the same as normal humans, but resistance is huge.

Nakakure, jubjub3000 and hillo315 like this.
  11. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    That's where a trusted divine authority figure comes in. Van can easily be persuaded to show mercy on someone else's behalf, so if Botin comes in and tells Van that killing Heinz on the spot might actually be a bad idea, Van will cool his head.

Fair for a guesstimate, sure. I'm just saying that 10 isn't accurate enough to use in actual physics problems.

That generally holds true for larger sizes regardless of blood content. Blood increases the damage further, but it's not the only factor. It just boils down to F=ma.

:blobpopcorn_cool:

12. Szmiiit

Reading List:
    Link
    When you think about it no one without abnormal condition resistance would survive if he was in a vertical position, because your brain si sufficating, due to all blood going to legs, and no amounts of vitality save from vital point damage.
    However if you lean over, the pressure is positive, and acts against defence(probably) and vitality.

13. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess you could compare it to how Alexandra (from worm) dies , for those that don't know she's a superhero with powers like invonerablility, super intelligence, flight and a couple more, she died by the main character Taylor stuffing insects down her throat until she died of suffocation. (Lack of oxygen to the brain)

EDIT

Now that I've reminded myself of "worm" who else thinks Heinz is a lot like defiant?

And what rank would the endbringers be in lambda 15? 16? Also what rank is scion? 19? 20?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Nakakure, Mesaphrom and hillo315 like this.
  14. Mesaphrom

Mesaphrom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, I may not have the greatest memory out there, but I am pretty sure there was no confirmation of Juliana becoming any kind of divine being. Yes, she evolved into a Hathor, but that felt more as her becoming into a miko like being than outright divinity.

In the other hand, if it was mention, please quote it because as I said my memory sucks:blobsweat_2:

Horny rabbits everywhere!

What did it actually translate to anyway?

15. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you I thought she only had divine protection and evolved to suit like living scylla lady

16. kari-no-sugata

Reading List:
    Link
    Under the assumption that the DK can pretty much completely control Edgar (else wouldn't attack Van in the first place) then I'd expect the DK to announce himself.

I'd expect 1-2 chapters of epilogue.

As for the next arc... For events that are likely to involve Van in a big way (ie be the focus of a major arc), those due soon are: Avalon makes a move for Mei on Origin, Van goes to the central part of the Orbaume Kingdom for adventurer school and other fun, Heinz and Van meet again. It's also not impossible that Edgar could "go rogue" from Heinz's group and attack Van separately.

If I was to guess, the next arc will mix "Van going to school" with events on Origin. Ie events at the school are (relatively) low-key and the climax of the arc is in Origin. So we could have (say) 15 chapters in/around school and 15 chapters on Origin. The arc after that would continue to be set around central part of Orbaume but not around the school and would focus more heavily on politics - confrontation with Heinz (and Edgar/DK) will be the climax of that arc.

17. Mesaphrom

Mesaphrom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It also help that the school arc don't seem to have, what is the word?, "pressing" problems to deal with, at most it would be political/noble problems and maybe the whole thing with Selem, which would give plenty of space time wise for Van to Deux Ex Machina into Origin. And I still think that Mei's parents will die before Van descends, I just feel it is necessary conflict for them to met Roddy before going for their children.

18. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    Already asked and answered ages ago.

Guduranis can't assume direct control of Edgar. He can manipulate emotions and invoke memories, but that's about it for now. That's actually even scarier than complete possession because Edgar is technically still in control, yet clearly not himself. The worst part is that controlling Edgar's emotions is more or less all Guduranis needs to do to make him do what he wants anyway.

I also suspect that Guduranis can teach Edgar new skills by feeding certain memories, though this would have limited usefulness because Edgar can't use any of the the death attribute techniques Guduranis can use.

19. jubjub3000

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe if Edgar absorbs some more of guduranis's soul or the part of guduranis's soul he already has "devours/assimilates" the remnants of Edgar soul to become his own then Edgars mana will be "polluted/tainted" by the death attribute?

Nakakure, Mesaphrom and hillo315 like this.
  20. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    If Edgar somehow nabs the Demon King's power, probably. But that's protected by either Rodcorte or Alda.