Adventurers Guild Adventurer's Guild - Receptionist's Desk

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Games' started by AliceShiki, Jan 28, 2019.

1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, this is troublesome... Rori-san still filed a complaint in the end, and while the problem is solved according to you, he is still quite dizzy indeed, so we can't really ascertain it...

*puts fingers on forehead* Well, the tale does seem believable however... I'll give you half reward. It's out of trust that you indeed filled the job, even though the requester doesn't quite believe it was cleared.

So... 5 Large and 5 Small Copper Coins, as well as 2 Guild Points... Take Care Bob-san, I hope you have better luck in your next endeavor. *bows*

MaliMi and Nahrenne like this.
  2. FuRen

FuRen [Lime]

Reading List:
    Link
    The party of three approached the counter with a face that shows not a hint of wear. One of the three, Venefica, placed their report on the counter.
    Sitting in the tavern waiting for the other members of his party, Vandrin met some fairly interesting people, including a fairy, and a young woman who disliked the taste of the new tea the barkeep had ordered. While drinking his tea, and noticing he needed a shave one morning, one member of the guild came up to him, and introduced herself.

“My name is Venefica, another participant for the quest made by the alchemist, Regar.”

“My name is Vandrin, it is a pleasure”, he says with a smile.

Shortly after, another member came up to introduce himself to the two,

“Hi there, my name is Fen, I believe Vandrin already knew my name from yesterday.”

“Hello there Fen, it's good to see you again”

“Fen, is it? I am Venefica, and it seems that I am the last to join. Now that all three of us are here, shall we pay a visit to our quest giver?”

“I believe that is a good idea”, Vandrin says, finishing his cup of tea.
    ___

The three of them left the tavern to learn the location of Regar’s workplace at the Alchemist Guild.

“Regar? He should be in his private workshop at this time of day.”

“Could we have the address to his workshop? We are members of the Adventurer’s Guild who accepted his request.”

“Certainly. But let me warn you, his personality is horrible. Barely anyone in the guild could bear with him and that personality of his.”

“Don’t worry, I have met many people with horrible attitude, I can deal with him” Fen said while grinning.

“He sounds like an interesting fellow”, Vandrin says with a static face.

Hearing the words of the pair, Venefica chose to keep quiet as a foreboding feeling filled her.

___

The group, having arrived at the apothecary run by Regar Skullhammer, entered one after the other, taking in the sight of the shop in varying degrees.

“Is this how an alchemist workshop supposed to look like?” Venefica muttered in wonder, looking at the messy storefront.

‘Reminds me of the bandits’, Vandrin thinks to himself, looking around and calling out, “Hello?”

‘Let’s not judge the book by its cover. . .’ Fen looks depressed and enters the workshop.

As the group entered the workshop, the dwarf at the other side of the room finally noticed their entrance to his abode.

“Who are you people?!” The dwarf angrily cried out.

“We’ve come here to accept the request you left with the Adventurer's Guild”, Vandrin replied, seeing the angry face of a man who mostly was having his morning booze.

“Is this how the members of the Adventurer’s Guild are?! Not even asking for the permission of the home’s owner before entering!”

‘But the sign said the shop was open, and neither did anyone reply when Vandrin called out…’ Thought Venefica as she doubtfully looked at the dwarf.

“We are sorry for entering without knocking the door, I hope this gift will be enough for you to forgive us" Fen took out a bottle of liquor and handed it to Regar.

The stiff dwarf hurriedly grabs the bottle, opens the cork top, and gives it a strong whiff, “Bah, this shite is cheap!” But even as he said that, he did not return the bottle to Fen.

“Forgive us, sir”, Vandrin says lowering his head, “we came here to assist you in the creation of a new alchemical experiment, and would like to get to work”

Finally calmed down, the dwarf, Regar, rubbed his chin covered in stubbles, “Well, I guess you three could be of some help to me. Start with grinding down the prepared materials.” He said, pointing at a nearby table covered in herbs, “After that, you three…”

Over the next hour Regar explained the ingredients, and the methods needed to prepare them for this new potion he had been working on, which theoretically increases the body’s strength by increasing the flow of adrenaline, while inhibiting the pain receptors ability to do just that.

___

‘This is simple enough…’ Venefica thought as she mechanically grinded one herb after another.

‘I’ve worked with all of these before in one way or another’, Vandrin thought as he quickly prepared the potion following the instructions

‘This is pretty easy, hope it stays that way…’ Fen thought to himself, after watching Venefica and Vandrin quickly digest the information.

-Omitted-
    The following report was submitted orally/unofficially.

But as if to make fun of his thoughts, a mistake finally occurred.

“Shit!” Fen cried out as the concoction began to boil over, causing the contents to spill out.

“Move!” As Venefica sternly called out, she chanted, 「O darkness, rid the world of its warmth, ‘Heat Reduction’」Following her spell, the boiling concoction soon cooled down. But she noticed that with the reduction of temperature, the bright colored potion turned dark, indicating that it has lost its magical properties.

Vandrin coming over to check what happened after he finished his first batch, saw a single herb which had not completely dissolve into the solution yet, “Ifrit’s Toe? It should’ve been Camilla’s Bone...”, he begun to think to himself, ‘They look similar enough to be mistaken, but an alchemist should’ve known that...unless…’

“What’s going on here?!”, the angry voice of Regar cried out, “You failed to make a potion? Compensation! I’m going to need compensation for the wasted materials!” he cried out like a maniac.

Fen looked terrified as the small dwarf screamed at him for wasting materials.

But Vandrin ignored his hysterical screaming and approached Venefica, “Ven, look at this”, Vandrin says holding up the remains of the Ifrit’s Toe, “I think our hosts awful personality doesn’t just pertain to his drinking”

Looking at the Ifrit’s Toe, Venefica flipped through her memories and thought of a certain book she read which spoke of the particular herb. The herb is, most of the time, not used as a main ingredient, but to rapidly increase the temperature of a concoction. The potion which requires the Camilla’s Bone adrenaline inducing effect would naturally result in failure if Ifrit’s Toe is instead used as the main ingredient. Realizing this, Venefica explained her findings to Vandrin and Fen.

“What are all of you talking about over there?!”, the angry Dwarf cried out, “Don’t think you can get away with not paying!”

“Nothing of the sort Sir Skullhammer”, Vandrin said with a smile so calm it might put the harshest of foes at ease, “We simply noticed that Mr. Fen here fail to properly brew his potion by providing him similar looking materials, but with drastically different effects”

“What in the devil do you think you’re talking about!”, the Dwarf cried out angrily, “A master alchemist would never make a mistake like that!” But Venefica noticed that his gaze seemed to wander around as he spoke, showing his guilty mind.

With the dwarfs attention on Vandrin, Fen snuck away quickly trying to find something to use as leverage.

“Sir Skullhammer,” Venefica stepped forward and said with a flat voice, “as a ‘master alchemist’, I believe you should know the fact that Ifrit’s Toe and Camilla’s Bone are two different ingredients. Even if you wish to say that you made a mistake, it is not very hard to differentiate them once you have enough experience. Furthermore, you should know that, as an alchemist, it is crucial that you do not place to similar looking materials in the same table to avoid mistakes such as what had just occurred unless both materials are required.”

Listening to the barrage of words which struck on his faults, the dwarf grit his teeth and argued back, “It’s your responsibility as the people I hired to know things such as this and keep yourself from making such mistakes!”

“If you hired people, you’d normally want to let them succeed, isn’t that right Mr. Skullhammer?”, Vandrin asked with the same calm smile plastered on his face, “So for what reason would you allow such identical ingredients, that can easily be mistaken for each other, be close to each other, especially for such an important task”, Vandrin approaches the Dwarf with Venefica, “Besides, the first words that left your mouth was compensation no?”

The dwarf was still adamant on arguing back. But just as he opened his mouth, Fen carefully approached them with a stack of papers in his embrace.

“Sir, I think we should talk a little about this document, maybe you would prefer to go in the back with me”

Fen showed the document to Regar, then his face turned pale. “Where did you find these!”

“Who knows” Fen walked to the back of workshop as Regar hurried to follow him.

In the storage room of the workshop
    “I found these under the shelf in the corner you see, you would be in trouble if this thing leak out right” Fen read out of information briefly from the document. “Hiring adventurers, make them fail the quest and get the compensation from the guild to pay your debt as you loss the betting, aren’t you the crafty one?”

“You!” Regar angrily called out, but Fen interrupt him.

“Shush! I’m the one who gonna be talking. Let’s make a deal, I will get rid of this documents and take responsible for it while you have to give us the correct ingredients to complete the request. Those two might want something in this workshop as compensation so you gonna let them take what they want.” Fen said, sighing, “Don’t worry, I will stop them if they go overboard” Fen took out flint prepare to light the document “Decide in two seconds I will take only yes or no”

“Yes. . .”

After a while, Regar and Fen returned to workshop with new herbs. Regar put the herbs on the table and went back to the back of the workshop. “Do as you like but please complete the potion”

“Alright, these ingredients should be match with the recipe” Fen checked the ingredient and the herbs’ description on the recipe for the last time.

“Mr. Skullhammer, I do believe for all the troubles you have caused us, some extra compensation is necessary for our friend here to not release those papers to the public, no?”, Vandrin says with the same calm smile on his face, “I do believe i have been needing an alchemy book and supplies to get myself started, what about you two?” he asks turning towards his party.

“I will take the explosive potion that are hiding on the right shelf” Fen moved the books on the shelf and took the potion.

“Mr. Fen has some great eyes, wouldn’t you agree Mr.Skullhammer”, Vandrin asks with a slight look of admiration in his eyes

“Yes…”, the Dwarf said with a look of defeat in his eyes, “Very impressive…”

“Well, this one is low-quality so it does not has much value on the market anyway, but it is very stable compared to one in market.” Fen took some herbs out of his bag gave them to Regar, “If you can produce another explosive potion like this again I’m willing to buy it at decent price”

“Then, I would like to have a book on the basics of alchemy.”, Venefica said after the other two conveyed their request.

“Those should not be too difficult to arrange”, Regar said while sighing with relief inwardly that they did not request more, “Now if you could please finish the request, I’d appreciate it if you all never entered my sight again”

“I will be back to buy your potions though” Fen giggled

“Mr.Skullhammer, I believe it is too soon to be saying something along those lines”, Vandrin said with a friendly smile, approaching Regar as he changes his appearance to match his exactly, “After all, this is only the start to your friendly relationship with the guild, no?”, he asks with the same friendly smile now plastered on the dwarfs lips.

“Y..Yes of course!”, the dwarf cried out, “I will give my all in supporting the Adventurer’s Guild!”

“Excellent, then I have no other complaints”, Vandrin said changing his appearance back to normal, “This might be a good lesson to be kinder to people in the future Mr.Skullhammer, kindness can get you a long ways”

Looking at the two continuing to pressure their supposed client, Venefica finally confirmed that her foreboding feeling was indeed true.

The group finishes the alchemical experiment with a resounding success. Regar Skullhammer was pleased with the results, saying his support for the guild will be stronger than ever from this point on and even gave the three extra compensation. Satisfied with the results, the group returned back to the guild to submit their report.
    @AliceShiki
    @Haitaka @strikegunner

3. The Everdistant Utopia

The Everdistant Utopia Honorary Maou | Part Time Writer | Crau's

Reading List:
    Link
    “Lakeside Village, huh…” Hrid murmured as she exited the headquarters of the Guild, storing the quest paper in her leather bag. “I don’t know how to get there at all!”

Although she had heard of the place, the girl came from the regions far north from Nagrand, a small village near the border with the Empire. While the trip to the city of the adventurers wasn’t an easy task, she was travelling under a simple path, heading straight south.

She sighed, half regretting her decision to hastily grab the first quest was in front of her. Another half of her was slightly satisfied about the outcome.After all, her decision to leave the village of Tharslen was to see the world beyond her home. Though it was also because she wanted a better lifestyle from the one that border village offered.

“Hnnnng, annoying thoughts… Let’s just find where the village is for now.”

Truth to be told, the Guild actually had a map in the quest board, but as she couldn’t read anything that was written there, nor was she willing to ask for the help of anyone there, the map was pretty much useless to identify the distance she would need to travel, even though she had a general understanding of where the village was, as it was the only settlement directly near the lake.

“Hmmm… first comes information gathering about the distance and what I can expect in the way...” Hrid pondered to herself as she walked down a street in the town. She was headed to the nearest gate she could find where she probably could ask the guards stationed for information. “Though, where I can find a- guh!”

As she exited the alley she was in, Hrid felt the sensation of hitting something hard, and bounced back falling on the floor. “Argh, sorry...”

“No problems...” A deep voice answered while she was still a bit dazed from bumping her head.

Hrid checked to see if her bag was okay, even though there was nothing that could break easily from that fall, before glancing at who she had stumbled with. In front of her was a huge person, at least one time and half her size, dressed in heavy protective clothings with hints of extra armor being layered beneath. Although they were inside town, and in an unusual hot day for the Month of Beginnings, the man was wearing a full face helmet.

“Uwaaah, a giant has come...” Unable to contain her amazement, Hrid blurted out.

“I’m not a giant...” Although Hrid couldn’t see his face at the moment, she could more or less guess from the menacing aura he was emitting.

“Ah, there you are!” A voice called from behind the large man. “Sorgre, who are you scaring this time?!” The source of the voice was a girl about as tall as Hrid herself, with short hair and amber eyes.

“What? I’m not scaring her, I-” “Enough, enough… you already made those kids from before cry.”

“Those two sound troublesome, so I think I’ll just slip while they’re...” Was what Hrid was thinking as she got up preparing to turn around and flee, however.

“What are you two doing, can’t you see that you’re troubling her.”

”I’M SURROUNDED!”

A girl eerily similar to the previous one, but with longer black hair and the same amber colored eyes, appeared from the direction she intended to flee.

“Ah, sorry. The big guy scared someone again.”

“I didn’t scared her...”

“She was fleeing from you.”

”I was fleeing from both of you, but I feel like I should keep my mouth shut~”

“That’s enough. Uta, Sorgre, stop fighting in front of others. Don’t you feel embarrassed?” Turning to Hrid, the girl slightly bowed. “I apologise for both of them. Are you fine?”

“Ah, y- I mean, whatever do you mean by if I’m fine. That’s a given.”

“Thank goodness… Oh, dear, you’re a wooden badge like us?” The girl said as she noticed the badge that was hanging in a necklace. Pulling herself a badge from inside her armor, the girl showed it to Hrid smiling. “I am Yumi. Those two are Uta and Sorgre, my party members.”

Similarly, the other two pulled their badges and smiled at her. Or at least she hoped Sorgre was smiling beneath his helmet.

“Sorry to interrupt you, I believe you probably were busy trying to reach your next quest location.”

“Ah, don’t worry. I was just wandering to the nearest gate.”

“Eh? Wandering? Didn’t you looked at the map of the city before leaving the Guild?” Uta tilted her head.

“Fufu… About that...” Puffing her chest, Hrid declared smugly. “I can’t read maps!”

“What are you being so smug about?!”

“Eh? You can’t… read maps…? But it shouldn’t be hard to know your way around once you know where some places are.”

“Ah, sorry, let me rephrase that. I can’t read anything at all!”

“That’s why I said, what’s with all the smugness?!” Turning to Sorgre, the girl continued on. “And what’s with you being so silent, I bet you’re thinking ‘Huh, so people dumb like that can actually exist...’ aren’t you?”

“Please, don’t use me as a middle man for your thoughts...”

“Your thoughts, my thoughts, whatever. We’re not that different, I’ll have you know!”

“I’m almost twice your size, though?”

“What of it? Twice the size, double the fall.”

“Guys, are you at it again…?” With a slightly irritated tone, Yumi intervened. “Ahem. Well, I can help you with that problem, I guess. We’re not that far from the gate. Though you were going in the opposite direction...”

“Geh...”

“You just need to go the direction I arrived, then turn right and go straight for… Hmmm… something like half a march?”

“Oh, I see.”

“Then, you turn left and follow alongside the wall until the Gate. It’ll be hard to miss.” She hesitated for a moment before adding. “I think...”

“I thank you for that. I’ll be leaving now, then.”

“Huh… You’re surprisingly well mannered for someone who doesn’t know how to read...”

“Ah, that’s… because the merchant who visited my village often told me that the folks in towns speak fancy, so I learnt from him...”

“Ah, I didn’t meant anything with that!” Uta raised both hands as a friendly sign, only to have one of them pulled by Yumi.

“Let’s go already. We’re inconveniencing the poor girl.” Turning to Hrid, the girl smiled once more. “Goodbye.”

“Ah, sorry. Bye, E rank fellow.”

“Godspeed...”

After the three of them parted ways with her, Hrid went on her own way, going with the directions given by Yumi.

In the middle of the walk, she suddenly realised. “Did I told them my name again?” But as it was already past the time to worry about that, she just ignored the question for the moment and continued with her mission.

After having left Nagrand, Hrid started making her way westward. According to the maps, and the information that she received from the guards, she’d have to travel at least twelve Leagues west before turning south and travelling sixteen leagues more.

The day, or rather almost afternoon of travel, started on the plains west from Nagrand, where the only things she could spot standing out from the surroundings were the patches of large grass that were still not grazed by the animals of the area and the small carpet like agglomerations of Lupine Grass, something she had see from her home, to the travel to Nagrand and even now.

More than once she considered harvesting some just to kill time during her trip from home, but as she didn’t had much use for it, the idea was quickly dismissed.

Now, she wasn't that certain. While the area near Nagrand was of plains dotted by hills and small groups of trees, further west the banks of the river were filled with wildlife, dense forests that could have one or two packs of wolves. Perhaps picking at least some would come in handy later on. After gathering a small bundle of it, she proceeded with her travel.

”Hmmmm… I know I decided not to use the roads, but this path is kind of annoying...”

Hrid had decided against going through the roads, as a lone person travelling would either raise suspicion or make her seem more vulnerable along the way to possible bandits.

“Well, I’m still vulnerable, though...”

The plains were quite a difficult place to travel inconspicuously, but if anything happened, she could make a run for the nearest forest she could see. In comparison, if she were to be on a forest, which had a way more difficult terrain, it would be trickier.

Ignoring that, the girl continued to enjoy her walk, and it would be only when she reached the edge of the forest near the river that she started feeling hungry.

From a distance, she could identify some edible plants growing among the many unidentified ones. Though her aim was for a more substantial meal.

Pulling out her bow, Hrid entered the forest to proceed with her travel, but with her mind wandering to another goal.

At every rustling, she stopped on her tracks and tried to pin down from where the sound came from, only to be met with minutes wasted in an unknown prey. After some time, she was starting to grow more anxious as her belly groaned louder.

About three marches after, she heard another rustling. This time, she was able to spot from where it was. From between the bushes a weak and pain filled moaning could be heard, and as she approached, it revealed itself to be a wounded deer.

Taking a look at his wounds in their hind legs, the deer had fallen prey to a hound’s bites. Strangely enough, the prey was left untouched aside from that.

Although suspicious, Hrid’s hunger had won over her, so she quickly found a stone and started making a small hole in the ground nearby with it, then picked her knife from the bag and slit the deer’s throat, letting its blood soak the inside of the hole she had made. While she waited, the girl took the time to start removing the hide from the animal carefully with the kitchen knife. Although she probably was making some mistakes here and there due to her inexperience and the improper tool.

As she finished skinning and bloodletting the deer, Hrid started gutting and cutting off the parts she wouldn’t be able to properly prepare at the current situation. Placing whatever she could make use off on top of the inner part of the hide, she went to pick sticks and stones to make a campfire.

After having the campfire set, and picking the cuts that she’d be eating promptly, Hrid prepared some makeshift stands for the rest of the meat to smoke them over the night. While the meat cooked, she took the chance to scrape any lingering piece of meat that was still clinging to the hide.

As she finished the preparations of her meal, the sun found its way behind the trees, marking the end of the first day.
    “Ugh… this is heavier than I thought...” After packing the rolled up hide, the herbs, the arrows, her knife and the slabs of smoked meat all into her side bag, which was now already some several pounds heavy, Hrid started to think that she might have been gone overboard.

Despite her complaining, she still went on with her travel. Unfortunately the previous day had to be cut short because of provision problems, but now with enough meat for the week, if it didn’t went bad due to improper smoking, she’d be able to walk as far as her body could take her for the day.

While in the previous day she had walked about seven to six leagues, her objective for the day was to at least walk ten, already entering the way south and only needing around ten more to reach Lakeside Village.

After having walked for about an hour, Hrid entered a clearer place in the forest, where trees were more sparse, allowing sunlight to reach the soil and as consequence many low bushes and flowers bloomed in the area.

While the flowers were by no means like the ones she saw around Nagrand, or even the ones growing at the edge of the forest, they were quite pretty and simple.

One had light yellow coloration in the center, slowly turning orange, then red at the very tips of the petals, while other was pure white, but with purplish stains on the edges.

Hrid enjoyed the stroll among them, and even considering picking some to inquire someone later what kind of flowers were those, but as she had no way of keeping them preserved until the return, she decided to just continue her travel and continued her way.

At least until she found that.

Among the flowers was something odd, an object that didn’t felt like it belonged to that place. Hrid approached slowly what she initially thought to be a bundle of straw, but as she approached the object started to show more of its shape.

“Huh?” Hrid muttered as she picked up. “What are you doing here, little one?”

The object was in fact a small straw made doll with rag clothes. The girl remembered having one back at home, but a cleaner one, since this doll was slightly tattered and covered in dirt.

“But what is this smell...”

She also had noted that there was a strange smell in the air ever since she started approaching the doll, which she thought to be originating from the doll itself. However, the doll only smelled like dirt and weeds. The stench she was sensing had grown stronger and clearer, smell of rotting meat.

Still holding the doll, she followed the stench a bit further inside the forest, finding a dog’s carcass fallen in the ground with large wounds.

“It doesn’t seem like it died too long ago...” She concluded after seeing the animal without signs of being left rotting for too long. “But where did this came from?”

Looking around, she spotted something vaguely shaped like a construction in the distance. Squinting her eyes, she could also see that whatever was the building, it had a door, or at least looked like one, hanging weirdly, as if it was busted.

”This feels like nothing I should be sticking my nose in...” Turning her heels, Hrid went back to her path. ”Though, what should I do with this?” She still had the doll in her hand as she left, but didn’t really knew what to do with it now that she realized that it was connected to an annoying situation.

Nevertheless, she didn’t wanted to just throw it back where it was, since there would probably be no problems with her keeping the doll. “Oh, well… at least I will have a travel companion of sorts. Isn’t that right, Ree?” Putting the doll inside her bag, she went on with the travel.

About four to five leagues past the place where she found Ree, Hrid found the crossing roads that marked the point where she should start heading south. Fortunately, the crossing was marked with stones indicating the road north, so she only needed to follow the opposite direction.

From what she knew, this road dated back to the days where the Empire ruled those lands, hence why the road was still to this day marked north, the direction to the capital.

After checking the road, the girl went back to her forest path, although now more on the edge of the forest as she had started to hear noises of animals form within the forest.

Even though she could still hear them before, now they were closer and more frequent, so for safety’s sake she stayed at a distance.

Along the border of the forest, she could spot some faint signs of previous travelers that followed that same path she was in, such as remains of campfires, abandoned remains of discarded tools and the like.

The most common, though, were stone markers here and there, deeper in the woods. When Hrid approached a slight larger one, it seemed to have some inscriptions on it, but as she couldn’t know really what was written, she just shrugged them off as some landmark of sorts.

The only one that particularly grabbed her attention was a larger one with more inscriptions than the others, laying even deeper on the woods, and which had a way older appearance.

Aside from the stones, the rest of the day was of peaceful travel, even with the noises coming from the forest.
    By the third day, she was already getting somewhat used to the back pain she felt from sleeping in the hard ground. Back at home she slept at the floor, but on a leather covered pile of straw.

She wasn’t, however, getting used to the gamey taste and leathery consistency of the smoked meat strips. Nevertheless, she could either eat them or starve. Though the thought of skipping a meal or two did passed her mind.

Having finished her breakfast, she started heading south again, but this time taking a detour to go through the road now, as she felt that the poor terrain might be slowing her down slightly.

For about two leagues, she travelled near the road, about some paces of distance, before just starting to follow it. She had yet to meet anyone in this stretch of the road, even though she had spotted some travellers on her first day, and a lonely cart on the second day.

The travel on the road went on without for about three more leagues without her spotting a single soul, until she saw at the distance ahead what seemed like a cart heading to her direction. As it approached, Hrid was able to identify two individuals seated on the front of the carriage, while the back was completely covered by a cloth.

As they had no reason to greet her, nor they seemed like they needed information, she decided to just ignore them and continue her way. She did paid enough attention to note that the occupants of the conductor’s seat were both dressed in tattered clothes, and that from the back of the carriage, what peeked out of the cloth covering its contents were bare human feet.

Other than her encounter, she found no soul until reaching the river between her and the Lakeside Village. Fortunately, she was able to barter a lift for some of her food and reached the other side by the nightfall.
    After the three days of travel, having arrived at Lakeside Village, Hrid found herself once more in a difficult situation. Like with how she couldn't locate herself with the map on the Guild's headquarters because of her adamant decision of not asking for help, she was now unable to locate the client of her quest, Askel, since she was keen on not asking for help.

Her closest guess on where she could find the wizard was the library, if there were any, since all the stories she heard about wizards involved libraries and books in some way.

However, there was no guarantee that there was any library on that village, nor she would know how to find one, and even if she knew the answer to both those problems, there was no saying if the wizard would actually be there. She remained hopeful however, as this was better than trying to ask around and started to wander through the village.

Although most passerby didn't minded her at all, some were clearly staring at her, the reason being that she had not taken a bath in three days of travel by foot though the forest, and hence was slightly smelling like a wandering beggar, and even her clothes who looked quite decent weren't helping when they were smeared with dirt from sleeping in the forest's ground.

Wandering around for a while, she constantly looked around to see if she could spot a building that didn't looked like a shop, inn or tavern, nor was a village house, but she couldn't find no such building.

"Where can I find a library here... I probably can't just waltz in some random buildings to check, so that's troublesome..."

Just as she thought that, her eyes were drawn to a certain person in the street. A man walking cloaked, carrying what seemed like a book. He was headed to a direction where there was relatively few people, to a building ahead which had no light coming from inside of it, different from many beside it.

She decided to follow the man to the place, waiting for him to enter before approaching. There was a sign above the door left open, but she could not know what was written in it.

As she entered, the inside of the building revealed itself to be large, without any lights aside from the moonlight entering through the few windows and the light coming from a lantern in the hands of the man that entered earlier.

"How strange... are you a visitor? Hmmm. Probably not. Who'd want to visit this damned knickknack dumpster given better options in this town." The man spoke as he noticed Hrid.

"Ah, no... I was just wondering whether this was the village's library."

"To an extent, it is."

"To... an extent?"

The man placed down the lantern on a table nearby and lighted a new one. "Well, there are books and maps and boxes of scrolls of poems if that is what you search, but the keeper of this place is a downright madman, so there are many other junk piled in this place to the point it becomes a pain to visit..." Pulling down his cloak with a hand while holding the lantern with the other, the man revealed an elderly face covered with a short beard and large glasses covering his weary eyes. "Eventually it became such a bother that people just stopped coming."

"Are you the keeper?"

"Good grace, no. I'm not that bastard. I'm just a friend of his, one that is most troubled by his absence." He turned to look at his side, moving the lantern to reveal many shelves with books, some toppled over one another, and many boxes, bags and other objects lying around stacked in the ground. "That hoarder actually got in the way of my research, since I can't for the life of me find my bag among this mess."

"Bag...?!"

"Ah, sorry for my late introduction. I am Askel the Red, and I presume you're the one sent by the Guild, since there is no other reason someone other than me and a few others to visit this place..."

"Ah! Y-Yes, yes I am."

"Good, then don't stay stuck at the door, you dolt. Come over, I'll light some lanterns to help."

"Yes!" Hrid made haste to enter the building, close the door and pick up the lantern left at the table with her while Askel placed the one he had previously lighted in a protected stand. As she started searching, she couldn't help but question him about something that was on her mind.

"Did you knew I was coming?"

"Well, obviously. I did put the quest. If you're talking whether I knew you'd come today, that's just a coincidence. I come here often by the night when I can't sleep. I even asked a personal key for myself to visit when I have a sleepless night."

"Does it help you with sleeping?"

"No, but it certainly is better than laying down like a dead man and staring at the roof." He pointed to her direction. "Don't bother much searching there, I already spent some days checking on those piles. There are more at the back."

"This place... looks more like an storage than a library..." "Although I haven't really visited many libraries before..."

"Well, it does seem so... but don't tell the keeper. He'll sulk for at least a week if you do so."

Moving some crates and bags over, the only things she could find among the mess were old toys, pieces of parchment and broken wooden tools. "Where am I supposed to find your bag here?!"

"Well, I last seen it when I came here to search for a certain book for my research. I left it somewhere, but my memory fails me now..."

"Can I at least know what I am looking for?"

"Ah, right. I forgot that detail. You're looking for a red bag, it's relatively small, about two palms large."

"Huh..." Hrid suddenly stopped her hands. "It's that why they call you Akel the Red?"

"Well, yes and no... They call me Askel the Red because I was a red haired fire magician, so it sounded funny to call me that. The foolish young me decided that it would be funny if I dressed on red to match my hair, so that's where the bag comes from..." Askel coughed a bit, probably due to the humidity of the place or because of the dust. "Of course, as I grew older, my red turned into grey, so I stopped using my old garments, with the only exception being that red bag."

"Huh, why only the bag?"

"Because it was made by my daughter." He made a short pause before adding. "In fact, I'd say I'm also bound to this village just because of her."

"Ah, so she lives here with you?"

"Yes, she lived. She, her husband and her daughter." Lighting the last lantern, Askel sat down to observe Hrid's search. "Now it's just me and Lina."

"Oh..." She quietly rebuked herself and went back to her search. After some forty odd minutes, she finally found what looked like a red bag, but it was so covered in dust and the light was so terrible that she wasn't really sure.

"Mister Ask-"

"Old man will do. I'm past the time of being called 'Mister'." He had already gotten up from his chair and started walking to her by the time she started to call him.

"Ah, then, Old Man Askel, I think I found your bag. Though it's better for you to check it yourself." She pulled the bag from the cramped space it was between some fallen crates and a toppled shelf.

After picking the bag, the wizard immediately opened a smile. "This is the right bag indeed. Here, it even has my initial in the button."

"Oh, so that's how Askel starts with."

"Do you not know how to read?"

"Fufufu~ Not really~"

"Well, at least you seem happy, so I suppose it's fine." Askel seemed like he was pondering for a moment, then continued. "Right, a reward is due. Though I know yours will be paid at the Guild, you did helped me faster than I expected... I guess that's the advantage of being young and able to cope with this hazardous place..." He pulled from inside his cloak a long and thin object. "Here, take this. It should be useful to you... I think..."

Taking it on her hands, Hrid tilted her head. "What is this?"

"The keeper's favorite's flute."

"Then why are you giving me?!"

"Because he costed me 12 Large Coppers, plus commissions! 8 for the reward and..." Askel placed four coins on her hand and a paper with something written on it. "... four for travel and housing expenses. Now scram and get some sleep before you leave. You can take a ship from the harbor here and it'll drop you close enough to the guild. Though it'll only ferry you through the Nuala, then halfway through the Ghulin, since it needs to stop at the place where the bridge cuts the river."

"I see..."

"The ship will drop you at a mercantile outpost that surrounds the bridge, the place is called West Cross. You shouldn't stay there for long, okay? And don't forget to hand over the paper I gave you with the coins. It's signed by me confirming that you completed the quest."

"Why am I getting lectured now..."

"Because you look like a troublesome kid."

"In which part?!"

"Your eyes remind me of my granddaughter, so that's enough for me. Now shoo."

"Okay, okay!"

Being escorted off the library, Hrid followed Askel's instructions of where to find a cheap lodging, where she slept on the stables to save money for the ship travel. In the next day, she woke up and started her travel back to the Guild, taking a full day on it, instead of the three she needed to reach, although the ship travel costed her the rest of the money Askel had given her.
    "Ahem, let's see... I left the guild four days ago, then I traveled west to the forest near the... Uh, what was the name again... something something lin, or something like that. I found something to eat there and rested before continuing my travel. The rest was pretty normal, aside from something...
    Uhm... There were some strange stones with something written on them by the side of the road, near where I found some remains of campsites... do you have any idea of what they might be?
    Aside from that, I managed to complete the quest... Ah, right. I almost forgot!"
    Hrid pulled out a paper from her bag, handing it to the receptionist. "Askel said to hand that, or something like that..."
    @Naraku
    Yes, I do know it's shitty.
    Yes, I know Argentinian Blue sucks ass in the light theme.
    Yes, I do know it's 5k words.
    Yes, the rocks were just tombstones, Hrid is just dumb.
    I'm very rusted...

Aside from that:
    > Hrid collected a piece of deer hide (length: 7 palms/ width top: 7 palms/width bottom? 4.5 palms)
    > Hrid collected some pieces of smoked venison
    > Hrid collected a bundle of Lupine Grass
    > Hrid acquired an old doll and a flute

For anyone who cares about measures on my reports to come, here:
    1 Finger = 3.4 cm
    1 Palm = 5 Fingers = 17 cm
    1 Pace = 5 Palms = 0.85 m
    1 March = 100 Paces = 85 m
    1 League = 20 Marchs = 2000 Paces = 1.7 Km

Why don't I just use the Metric or the Imperial System? Because they're for peasants!

AliceShiki, Naraku and SpearOfLies like this.
  4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Task: Taskmaster's Woe [Taken by @Ddraig ]
    Requester: Adventurers' Guild Taskmaster Franko
    Quest rank: E
    Rewards: 5 Large Copper Coins (per participant)
    Description: Elf Taskmaster Franko has mispaced some inventory. While he was heavily reprimanded for the blunder, the inventory should be located regardless, as it contains much needed E and D rank supplies. When presented with the case, the Guild Master has decided the inventory is merely lost within the mess in the warehouse. E rankers can cooperate to clean the mess up and find the inventory. The Taskmaster is to supervise.
    -----
    While the stationed guard was opening the warehouse for them, Klov asked the Taskmaster, "So sir, what all is misplaced?". Slightly embarassed, Franko gave her the log of items that was misplaced by him.
    "Urr, I am sorry for the trouble, I am getting rather old now that I keep on forgetting stuff...", apologized Franko. "Gladly only a fraction of good delivered that day were misplaced. Combined with the low amounts of good delivered that day, it should not be too much of physical work."
    Franko was a timid elf. Being old, even for an elf combined with all the problems in delivery of goods going on currently was the cause of this problem.
    Klovia noticed that the warehouse from inside had a bleak atmosphere to it, mostly due to the dull cheap grey coloured walls that were in dire need of maintainence and lack of light. The only thing that see saw that was really maintained and visible were the cold magical formations used for storage of important items, the first few commonly used shelves and the door they walked through. It was rather easy for her to imagine the warehouse being perfectly organized few years ago but now it seemed to her that the basic organization method did not seem to have survive the passage of time, lazyness of dozens of people and piles of stuff stuffed atop each other and inside the shelves. The sections seem to her to get dustier with distance from the entrance. It felt like a mystery to her as to how was this place not a stronghold of rats by now.
    The obvious tracks made by people walking through dust were a good clue to start the search for them. Dividing the job in two, Klovia decide to start from the Alchemic materials section, specifically that of fruits and flowers. Franko had decided to go through the ores section. Lighting a lamp using fire magic, she proceeded towards the section.
    The first thing Klovia noticed was how the flowers section was filled with Rotect flasks containing flowers to the brim. She had seen enough Rotect jars to preserve all the random items that her mother required in her laboratory but that felt nothing compared to the shelves of them here. While some were infact empty, others were filled with flowers ranging from the common Blood Lilies, Lupine grass, to rarer stuff like Nirnroots and even a couple of beautiful Weiss Managors.
    Proceeding deeper into the warehouse as she couldnt find any clue to where the items were, Klovia noticed a shelf that was not as dusty as its neighbours. The items placed on it seem to be rare flowers that Klov had never seen before. Hidden behind a bunch of those, Klovia found the marked jars of the Moonlight flowers. Between two shelves, a chest was placed, hidden from plain sight. Klovia noticed it and on checking it was the missing box of crystals. Making two trips to carry everything, she carried everything back to the first door of warehouse where she saw Franko had managed to find other items too. On informing Franko, he seemed to have remembered something. Apparently he had carried the last bunch of both rank C and lower rank items delivered that day together to the warehouse. While placing the ranc C flowers, he was apparently called for a problem related to deal of ores. Franko proceeded to place the other items together and forgot about them afterwards.
    Messy warehouse, needs maintanence
    Rotect jars are jars for preserving stuff, mostly flowers.
    A jar is essentially a unit referring to Rotect jars.
    Deliveries and shipments are marked by weeks and not specific days due to uncertainity in delivery and travel time
    Klov wants a Weiss Managor
    Franko is old and timid, even for an elf.
    @Quaesitor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  5. Quaesitor

Quaesitor [Scholar]

Reading List:
    Link
    Garret Dwane reads the report with a frown. "I did not expect the warehouse to be in such a state," he mumbles to himself.

While quickly taking care of the associated paperwork, he starts talking to Klovia: "Thank you for your work, you did well in the quest." Then he continues: "This is your reward for the task," while handing her the 5 large copper coins, and noting down the guild points "and for informing us of the warehouse's current state. I will have to file in a complaint about it."

Ddraig likes this.
  6. Naraku

Naraku 『』『』『』

Reading List:
    Link
    "Mmm..."

To Gaap, an oral report is always troublesome, since he needs to write what happened during their quest instead of them, then, after hearing everything and taking the paper, he sighed, since... it seemed that Hrid was rather forgetful. Was there even something to write about it ?
    He couldn't blame her for that, as was he better ? Of course not.

"Let's see..."

Opening the piece of paper, he saw Askel's signature and, as he mechanically prepared the quest rewards, his eyes looked at the signature, he took a book and checked the list of signatures, first checking the book then the signature, then again the book and the signature...

"Look like it's the right signature, you met Askel indeed."

Considering her oral report, he couldn't help but doubt it... nevertheless, since that is the right signature, there is no issues with this and he could easily hand the rewards to Hrid.

"Alright, so here are 8 Large Copper Coins, and you gained 4 Guild Points as well... good work, continue like this, as long as the client is satisfied, everything's fine. "

OOC: Ooh, that was a pretty nice read~
    Pretty interesting~ hope you do more like this~
    And Sorgre... hehe~ *thumbs up*

7. Unreachable Hope

Unreachable Hope Unspecified, Wandering and Doubtful Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @AliceShiki
    "I am back, so here's my report."
    Cinis said as he came back, still supporting his own weight on his wooden cane. As he was going to wait for Aria to appraise it, he needed to mention something.

"She shouldn't come back regularly to the tavern, as for her dreams having possible signs of divination. I don't think I can assume anything except if I get to hear more of her dreams, only one is in my opinion is not enough, on top of that we can always find a reasonable reply to her dreams that will contradict the divinatory aspect it might have. As well that it might concern my personal life since it seems that she tends to dream about the people she is or will be interacting with."

He should also mention where she is currently.

"Currently, Ms. Hornety is toward the North of Nagrand, in a forest's clearing where there is nothing else than a campfire, where my family is currently living."

Staring at the paper, Cinis sighed. Signs of divination ? She was just an orphan, why take seriously those kind of absurdities ? Dreams and divination, if a random orphan could have those kind of dreams… who wouldn't have divinatory dreams ? Or perhaps, unoriginally, she is an abandoned child from some old powerful fowl in the religious or political domain ? Who knows ?
    Night was falling, the moon was rising. Rather easily, he found Ms Hornety outside the town, just needs to search for a campfire’s light by patrolling around the city. Walking openly without trying to hide while supporting himself with cane, the hood on his face. He passed-by her campfire as she was looking at him with a happy smile.

Odd.

“Is it alright if I sleep here ? Do not worry, I will get my own food.”

Without minding much his presence, she silently nodded her face, considering the request, he assumed she was a chatterbox, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.
    Looking at her, he examined her looks. Shoulder-length hair, second-hand commoners clothes, these are rather shabby and dirty, her skin was slightly yellowish, was she sick ? Unhealthy ? Blue-eyed, she was calm however she was smiling so brightly, like a soft fire, serene but burning with life. Or at least, that is how he saw her.

“That is perfect.”

Cinis walked away and took out his crossbow to get some meat, intruding into a forest where animals are generally hunted for the sake of money or simply satisfying people’s hungers. Without torches and only a partial dark vision, is it not a bad idea to enter into a forest ?
    Internally thinking, he thought it would be fine, he could feel it, clouds will not block the moonlight, his eyes would adapt to the darkness pretty easily, and even more thank to his elven blood.
    Inhaling deeply, he readied a bolt on his crossbow. Closed his eyes and listened to the noises. The wind whistling, the branches and leaves falling, the trees stretching, the bushes…

Turning back, he quickly launched a bolt into the bush, a little squeak was heard before a pile of flesh covered by leather fell onto the ground, a simple rabbit. A sudden groaning echoed in the clearing, a boar ? Preparing another bolt before it charges, another bolt was launched toward the noise, then, he could feel the ground tremble.
    It was charging, he did not bother watching it, as a third bolt was launched. He knew it pierced as the groaning became louder at each bolt.
    Of course, it was not enough, he did not even aim. Holding tightly on his cane as he felt the charge becoming closer and closer, how many feet ? Ten ? Nine ? Eight ? His left foot left an imprint on the ground as his initial jump became higher due to the support provided by the cane.

While temporarily floating in the air, he could see clearly the boar, one bolt on each of its side. He took out his Sica and, as he was getting slowly getting back to earth, more precisely, falling on the boar, his blade pierce the boar’s head through the eye.
    Unfortunately, its charge was not finished as Cinis fell on it, even if it died on the blade, the corpse didn’t lose its initial speed and it threw the adventurer the ground, slightly shaking hsi bones.

Casually, he stood up and did not mutter any words, retrieved his three bolts, put the rabbit’s corpse in his hood and sighed as he saw the boar’s corpse. It was time to drag it to the campfire with one arm that is, since he needed to support his right leg who… almost didn’t hold on, he could feel it, the blood that wanted to leak out of his wounds.

“...I should not make any movements of the sort…”

Foolish was his act. Fortunately, he was trained enough to drag such a heavy weight. Two hours later. He was back at the campfire, and Ms. Hosnety was still there. Speechless, she looked at the boar’s corpse and then felt something sticking fall on her pants, not light nor heavy…
    A rabbit’s corpse. She gulpged.

“Help with the skinning.”

Her cheerful smile immediately froze as she felt the weight of the bloody meat on her legs, as she saw his eyes, she felt like… she could not refuse. If she did not, it would not go well. Taking out her knife, she held it tightly, inhaled deeply and felt something crawling on her back…

A glare. Simultaneously, she could hear a grating coming from beside her. The skin lifted away from the flesh, the blood slowly leaving its body. The liquid splashing on the dirt. The fire crackling. The bones rattling.
    Some time later, they began roasting both the rabbit and the boar. The rabbit was badly skinned, Cinis needed to pass behind her to fix the mess, it was rather the same with the boar, however, the quality was still decent, the only issue is that he did not have any proper tools for skinning. It is fair, he never thought of getting money out of animals after all.
    Silently, they were sitting in front of each other. The fire and fleshes between the two of them, Cinis asked her on a rather casual tone as she began nomming on the rabbit.

“What is your name ?”

Ms. Hornety looked at Cinis, and frowned, everything for sure was pretty suspicious from the very start from a third party’s view. Nevertheless, it seemed that she expected his arrival but not his attitude. Something was off with both of them since the very start.

“Can you tell me what do you want instead~~?”

Of course she knew. The adventurer sighed, stood up, and sat beside her as he began to eat a boar’s leg. Quickly, he just showed a wooden badge then he put it back in his inner pocket, less than a second passed and she didn’t understand at first and rubbed her chin.
    An adventurer, why would he come here ? How is that related to what he might want from her ?

“Anyway, Miss Hornety, or would you prefer me to call you in another way ? I am just staying here so I can avoid paying money and use too much time making a campfire. And you don’t need to worry much about me, as if you disappear, it will be suspicious since you often come to the Tavern.”

With his words, it does sound logical but something was off. It lacked something or so she thought when the situation was presented this way. For example… credibility. It lacked credibility, it was so unlikely for this happen.

“Just call me Hornety… what is your name ?”

A minute of silence, the adventurer hesitated, true, he used his true name to register at the guild, however, should he do the same outside ? They aren't that far from the HEM. Right. He is only a measly E-Rank, so his name won't spread unless he does something outrageous…

“Eh, the name's… Cinere.”

Why not ? Aria got the wrong name at first, so he could perhaps use it. Registered as Cinis, he can still call himself Cinere. It is not much of a difference, maybe he can try letting the name Cinis behind him ? After a few seconds, he shook his head, no, he could not do that, it will be a terrible idea.
    Hearing him. Hornety muttered to herself, stopping her meal, she stared at Cinis’ brown hair and Cinere's greyish hair.

“Cinis eh… the fire turned to ash and not ashes. Struggling to rise against the blade who incinerated it once.”

Fulfilling his expectations, it was now not so far from confirmed or so he thought. Objectively, it was nonsense, subjectively and relatively to Cinis, it simply meant everything. From the start to the end, this… orphan had hints, did she predict his arrival and story, but his attitude was not in accord with the hints she received ? If it was not for the quest, would he act the same way the did ? No.

“Let's talk about that another day. You can keep the boar's pelt, if you wash it properly, it might make a good blanket.”

Diverting from the subject, Cine… Cinis continued to devour the boar. No meat should be left, more he ate, more reserve he will have. And since he was starving to save up money, that was perfect. To save up both energy and time. If he eats a lot, he will be able to resist hunger for a longer time, on top of that, there is such a huge amount, it will be a waste… perhaps, he could try to preserve it but…
    The meat tasted better when it was freshly eaten and cooked. His stomach was rather eccentric, groaning for a certain flavor, disallowing every sustenances it did not wish. Everything else could simply be cast aside.

Hearing him, Hornety sighed and folded the more or less clean part of the boar’s pelt so it can be used as a sort of pillow. A dozen of minutes of silence afterwards, she fell asleep , her head next to Cinis’ bloody leg.
    Slowly, he fixed her hair, as he was reminiscing about what he heard earlier. No, the thinking will come later, for now, let’s fill that belly until nothing can be inserted. Till he is bloated, till his body, as well as relinquish him from his lack of calories for the next few days to come.

__________________​

Hours later, the figure faded, disappeared. Hornety was sleeping all alone, in the cold while Cinis was in the tavern. Tapping the table regularly in a slow place with his finger, his left hand was supporting his titled head, he could feel a slight cold breeze intruding from the door and windows, slipping under his coat, following his skin, passing under the sleeves…
    A sigh escaped his mouth, he began to think about her words. Signs of divination ? Then, he remembered the quest, it was not the goal of it, it was simply optional, but what were those hints ? Were those little words that slipped her mouth came from one of her dream or did she know something she shouldn’t know ?
    In both cases, he needed to see her once again. First, he could try to draw conclusions from what she said.

‘Cinis, Cinere.’ She already knows his name. As for how, it can only be explained through her dreams or that she comes from the Holy Empire of Men, the latter is almost impossible according to the adventurer reflecting on the information he had.

‘the fire turned to ash and not ashes. Struggling to rise against the blade who incinerated it once.’ Now, it was way too relatable. What was the fire ? The burn on his face ? The ash would be his previous life. The blade who incinerated it… Cinis could not help but draw out the Rusty Seax, it was the blade. After, it was the interpretations he could have if he took each of the words separately.
    The fire turned to ash, the will to fight ? Struggling to rise, becoming strong enough to take his revenge ? The blade who incinerated, this one was the more vague among them all… a blade incinerating sounds off. The blade must have cut off something important to Cinis, his links with his family were thinner currently, perhaps that was it ? Then, what could be incinerated ?

Sincerely, the adventurer didn’t search very far. However, no matter what he might say to himself, those dreams, those hints, something was really related to the subject of divination. Definitively, however, even if he claimed this, would it make any difference ? Of course not. Because, would he be willing to tell his story ? It will rather a suicidal move according to him.

Hours passed and the sun rose. Surely, the cold breeze progressively disappeared, only to be left with a cool and sunny weather. A wanderer came in and looked around in the Tavern, doing her usual patrol, searching for someone to talk to.
    Her blue eyes kept darting from right to left until it stops on Cinis who did not move when her pupils became concentrated on him, staring into his soul. Suddenly sprinting toward him, she immediately sat in front of him, seeming to be rather excited as if something that could change her life just happened

“Cinis Cinis ! Thank for the meal last night, and is it possible for me to tell you my dream pretty pleaasseeee~?”

Sighing, he rubbed his forehead and nodded, knowing that it might be an error since his goal should be to make sure that she doesn’t bother the patrons. Might as well listen to her dreams then convince her not to come back to the Tavern.

“Oh, thank you ! And… well, I have shreds of dream about you, the rest are about other people~”

She seemed rather hesitant until Hornety shrugged and continued to this cheery tone that happened to be rather irritating to Cinis. However, he could note this, she dreams about many different people. So, perhaps, if he was not here, she would just talk to someone else, but after all of those are just superstitions. Any concrete proof ? For now, she only talked about the past and it was pretty vague already. The only odd point is that she precisely said the right name, after, it could be pretty easily explained, perhaps she heard about him in the Tavern when he registered, asking for his name would have been simply courtesy.
    It could as well be that.
    Can he confirm what she says is the truth in a peaceful manner? Of course not, unless he had some esoteric magic, however, he doesn’t wield magic.

“Well, it was pretty short… you are in the middle of smoke~ all alone, two figures were left behind together and sheltered, and you left… going forward, in search of another goal while leaving behind a trail, the trail is gradually changing color more the distance you cross is big, at first, it is brown, then silverish, then golden, then simply white… and I don’t remember much of my dream about it~”

Shortly replying, Cinis sighed and rubbed his own forehead. He closed his eyes and supported his head with his thumbs, his elbow seemed to be sinking into the table.

“I see.”

Seeing such an uninteresting reply, Hornety waited a few seconds before questioning the adventurer who didn’t give any refreshing replies.

“So, what do you think about it~?”

It was about the future, he thought.

“Nothing much, or should I say… I prefer if I thought nothing about it and react like any other adventurer, get annoyed and want you to leave, but well, I suppose I can not.”

Hearing this reply, she knew that she just hit something really intriguing. According to her personality, wishes and whims, she was eager to ask more about it. Nevertheless, when she saw his eyes, the light getting weaker and weaker as…

“Alright alright, no need to overthink about it, it’s just a dream !”

Abruptly clapping her hands, Cinis was pulled out from his thought and sighed. After seeing him come back to reality, she opened her mouth once more to ask him something that made her curious.

“What did you mean by adventurers getting annoyed and wanting me to leave…”

Before she could continue to talk, Cinis bluntly explained what was going on.

“I will be direct, you want company to tell your dreams about, and it bothers a lot of people. And they want you gone.”

Hearing that, her eyelids widened, shock appeared on her face. Returning her head, looking right, left, east, north, south, west, everywhere she could turn her head toward, she would. The adventurers didn’t really mind her, Hornety then sighed, scratched her head, walked in circles around the table while trying to think about how she could solve the situation…

“Is it such a bother ? Can’t you tell your dreams to common folk instead of adventurers ?”

It will be a shame if she does that though, but right, why would she tell her dreams to the adventurers and no other people ? She could go do that to an orphanage perhaps. It is always a solution after all.

“That is… well… adventurers’ stories are so… unique and thrilling~?”

Hearing this, he sighed. It was for such a silly motive that she has been coming here since the very start ? How troubling. Is there any way to convince her that she doesn’t need to do so ?

“Why not become a waitress ? Or try at least, you will be able to stay here.”

Staring at him, Hornety’s face twisted and pointed at herself, then at the bartender, then at Cinis, she sighed and shook her head. Was there something that stopped her from working with Pierre ?
    “That’s a bad idea, I can’t work~”
    Then, he could say that she could become an adventurer, but actually, that is even worse… how then ? What could she do meanwhile since she couldn’t come in the Tavern ? Actually, she could come nevertheless Cinis will have to deal with a failed quest, and that was out of the question.
    Suddenly, he had an idea, albeit a not so practical one, but if he wanted to verify if she had really divinatory dreams, it might be a good idea. In the worse case, she could be a cook as his family was rather unlucky, no matter what they do, they can not cook, it will end up becoming an abomination.

“I have an idea. Come.”

The adventurer quickly stood up and walked rather quickly out of the tavern, followed by Hornety who felt did not even ran, she just peacefully walked, far from him who stopped went back and was forced to walk at her pace. Since he needed to use peaceful means, he could not carry her against her will or drag her to this campfire. Not as if he could run for a long time anyway.
    A hour later, they were once again in the forest, but this time, it was different. They were in a clearing.

There was a campfire, two people in black coat were there, one was rather slender, while the other had a broader figure. Two figures he left behind him.

“Hey.”
    “Greetings.”
    “Hello.”

Short greetings followed their meeting, the cladded in black pair did not move and stayed near the campfire, Cinis sat next to them and whispered to their ears everything that happened until now and what he wanted them to do with her, to keep an eye on her ability.

“Hornety, you could stay with them, they have pretty interesting stories, well, if you don’t want to then, I don’t know where you could find any thrilling stories. And well, I guess you can go back to the tavern any time you want, not as if they will stop you."

Hornety honestly hesitated, it is true that all of this situation was rather suspicious. Why was he even doing that for her ? What did he plan ? That was… a first, perhaps exciting as guessing someone’s motive can be rather thrilling since once you know it, everything becomes clear, then, you can be the one to trick the other.
    Perhaps, she could try out, it was rather suspicious. In the worse case, she can just go back to the city. Cinis turned his back and decided to go back to the Adventurer’s Guild to report everything he knew as he heard his family speaking to Hornety on a friendly tone.

They removed their hoods, he didn’t go back on his steps, so he only heard them.

“Greetings, my name is Liya. I hope to pass a nice moment with you, Ms. Hornety.”
    “Mm, hello, I am Aelia, Cinis’ sister.”

Nothing much was to be said. They have to stay behind for their safety as Aelia is weaker, and since she’s the weakest among the three of them, the strongest should protect her, and that is Liya.
    Thus, according to Cinis, nobody except him should be outside and working to become stronger, as long as they are safe, everything’s fine.
    OOC: To be fair, I think I messed up with my quest~
    As I was writing it while I was half-sleepy (brain being annoying) or when I was on phone (autocorrect being annoying)~
    In both cases, it didn't provide good conditions for writing~ I was rather lazy as well~
    (and well, I kind of added bolt to my inventory as it is more logical this way... since well, having a crossbow but not bolts...)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *sighs and puts fingers on foreheads* You know... If you just blackmailed your client into giving an appropriate compensation to you all in order to pay for the fact he tried tricking you, that would be all fine and dandy, but... You had to involve the guild in it?

I mean... Think about it, now that Regar-san feels that this is just the start of his oh so lovely relationship with the guild, and that someone could very easily frame him for any kind of accusations, that will probably make him behave, no doubt, but... It also will make him, and any of his associates by consequence, to have a terribly ill feelings towards the guild as a whole, as the way you painted us, was as if we were the ones that instructed you to blackmail the guy...

Haa... Well, at least you were upfront about it and properly told us about yet another mess you got involved in... Listen, the three of you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, so I'll give you some advice... Avoid harming the guild's relationships with their clients, alright? For your own good... *turns towards the half-elf* Especially you Vandrin-san, it's the second time you've been involved in trouble during a report after all.

On the plus side though, you did clear the request properly and Regar should behave properly in the near future, which is already something at the very least. Just... Try not going overboard on your blackmail next time, you should have ended it at the point each of you took a different item from his workshop.

Well. *claps her hands* The three of you heard nothing, I heard nothing, the request was well done and everyone is happy, let's close this up. The reward is of 4 Large Copper Coins for each and 1 guild point for each too. Take care now~

((*pokes @Haitaka and @strikegunner too*))

FuRen, Haitaka and A5G_Reaper like this.
  9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    So there is indeed more to her dreams than just dreams huh? Now that's interesting...

They don't seem very precise though, so there is hardly much the guild can do about it... Still, it's nice to know she is still nearby, even if not visiting the tavern.

The job was well done Cinis-san, good job. The reward is of 10 Large Copper Coins and 4 guild points~

Take care~

Unreachable Hope likes this.
  10. Haitaka

Haitaka [Always Busy]

Reading List:
    Link
    "My apologizes miss Aria", Vandrin said bowing his head, "I have not interacted with people much and have only relied on what the bandits taught me, I now know it is wrong, and will try to correct these flaws for future quest and interactions"

"I do sincerely apologize miss Aria", he says bowing his head even further.

11. FuRen

FuRen [Lime]

Reading List:
    Link
    "...I understand." Saying those words apologetically, Venefica bowed.

When she once again raised her head, she tilted her head and muttered with a faint smile, "What were we talking about?" Not waiting for a reply, she continued, "Since I forgot, it is most likely not very important." Saying that, she turned around and departed from the counter.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    AliceShiki likes this.
  12. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    "This totally wasn't worthy..." Sol complained a bit before giving the maps with the note relative to the area around the Cave of the Dead. Each spot where the herb grows was marked on the maps. About a quarter of each growth was left in the spots so they can regrow naturally. The rest is mostly wasteland.

Sol was basically half covered with bandages. This time was Mr Gourd that paid for them. It was ironic that the last time it was just an arm but the quest was actually a higher difficulty.

"Cave of the Dead? Of course it got to be an ominous place. It's always Sea of Sorrow or Dessert of Despair or Red Hall of Cages. Why don't anyone request a trip to Funfair City or Mountain of Free Ale for a change."

It's probably a joke. Probably. A distraction from the sun slowly baking them as they walked to the destination.

"We are just going a place near that. I'm not crazy or strong enough to enter that kind of place." Sol took out the paper he got from the quest provider and started to map out the area. It was mostly wasteland. We weren't so near to the Cave of the Dead so there was still some traces of green vegetation. "Though I don't mind visit the Mountain of Free Ale. Maybe I can invite Aria to go together." Sol tried to joke too.

"Oh? The receptionist lady caught your eye?" The gourd immediately zoomed on that tidbit. "You should ask her out!"

"You think I should? I don't know." Sol smile awkwardly. " I think I should try after at least go the D rank. Currently, I'm just a nameless and penniless guy."

There were mostly dead trees and ominous looking plants around them. Most of them were basically just weed. The more unique kind of rare plants that glow in that kind vegetation was probably much near to the Cave of the Dead. Luckily the plant we need was not so close to that place. We didn't need to deal with hordes of undead. We will mostly deal with some random lost undead.

"Do your best while you're still young! Yohoho~"

He borrowed a peculiar set of items from the guild. A huge basket was to be expected but he also brought several small pots, some small bamboo sticks, and a bunch of rags. Gardening tools, he said. The warehouse staff just wrote it down with his name so he somehow got away with it.

Soon Sol spotted a group of three skeletons. An amount that any well-prepared adventurer can deal unscathed. Sadly Sol wasn't so well prepared against them. Creatures immune to his tricks wasn't early to deal for him. He still made some preparation and had his friend Mr Gourd to cover for him so it wasn't a big problem for him.

With a dash, Sol prepared to assault them before they notice their presence.
    With the sickle he bought before starting this adventure, he trampled one of the skeletons and with a small jump he stomped his chest and broke it. This was enough to stop a skeleton.
    It was a very tricky movement but Sol was trained to make that sort of movement to deal with unexpected situations.

Before the other skeletons can reach, Sol used the sickle to grab one of them and smashed him against the other skeleton.
    Sol doesn't have enough strength to break skeletons' bones but he managed to get enough time for his friend to arrive and help him.

"Allow me."

The convenience of a large sword was it's as much cutting as it was a bludgeoning weapon, having both edge and mass. The undead weren't that much of a problem either, they had no concept of defense and just tried to grab him - a motion rewarded with blade-to-the-skull. A lazy swing broke it all the way to half of its right ribs, repeating the move flatten the other one just as efficiently.

"Let's find the herbs while it's early. It won't be as good if harvested at noon."

"Yeah, but the request want also a description of the area so it's not as easy I just gather the herbs and leave" Sol returned to map the area. He noted the little amount of undead danger during daylight. Undead was weak to sunlight but the amount of miasma released by the Cave of Dead was weakening that light to the degree that just heavily reduces their reaction time. The night was probably much more dangerous.

"One second."

He sliced open the back of his left hand. As the blood flows a runic pattern lit up, burning the blood into acrid smoke as the gourd just... shot up. After about fifty meters he slowed and stopped, a blue platform forming beneath his feet. He spent a whole minute surveying the surrounding before hopping off, his descent slowing just before he landed lightly.

"I've seen a number of Blood Lily clusters within one kilometer. Scattered undead too."

"Can we dodge them? It's painful annoying and time wasting to fight. Killing one and another will appear somewhere else. The reward is not worthy enough for a cleaning job."

"Unfortunately they're moving around, we'll run into some sooner or later. But the first few should be quite accurate, they're not exactly quick."

He led Sol into a somewhat winding path around the dead to reach the first cluster, a bunch of red stalks even with a single flowering herb amidst of them. The gourd whistled as he crouched down, taking out his all-purpose knife.

"Beautiful red indeed!"

He carefully cut the herb near the base, a diagonal slice cleanly sever it in one motion. He then pruned the few leaves and stems near the bottom and place it at a different sack while the main stem itself goes into a pot. Several of them were stored in one with water added before a rag was used to cover the whole basket.

"We shouldn't pluck all, leave a quarter or such for them to regrow. Let's move to the next, we should get as many as possible before it gets hot."

While Mr Gourd was doing gardening, Sol was mapping the area around them. There was a couple of weird looking mushrooms but the best they can do it was probably a mild stomachache or mild nausea. Sol just added a little note about them as they weren't so worthy.

They were on the eleventh batch, the basket already filled with neatly arranged pots of herb according to their grade of maturity. Bamboo sticks were inserted sideways to make the second level in the basket, both parts properly covered to keep the herbs shaded and cool. That's when a disturbance in a distance was heard, the two glanced at each other upon noticing.

There was a small group being assailed by a number of undead. They seemed barely holding on, the skeletons and zombies weren't much problem but there were several ghouls mixed in and that's what they're struggling against. It's one of the nastier kind of undead, moving like berserkers on drugs without care of dismemberment. They still retained feral instinct that led them to actively hunt in packs, eating flesh to recover from damage.

It's quite commendable for that group to still hold on while slowly retreating, but the undead were tireless - they'd exhaust themselves and make mistake eventually and when they do, it'll be the end.

"That priest is doing a good job keeping them alive."

The group wasn't some high tier adventurers. They probably overextend themselves and attracted unwanted attention because of their overconfidence.
    "Do you mind helping them? I don't want dead over my conscience."
    There was an unwritten rule about not helping other adventures during their quest. Someone believes it was pride. Someone else believes they don't want their achievement to get reduced. There were also rumors about adventures secretly pushing other adventures into danger to get rewards from saving them. In the end, it became a sort of an ethic between adventures. 'Don't expect rewards from saving other adventures'
    Sol didn't care much about it. He found it was a waste to leave potential good adventurers to die. Even if they were ungrateful to him was fine.

"Huh? Oh, right. People die if they're killed."

He very carefully put the basket under the shade of a dead tree before putting both index and middle fingers into his mouth; blowing a shrill whistle that echoed far into the struggle. The group noticed and painstakingly changed direction, oh so slowly.

"Let's go get them out."

He probably attracted all undead within a hundred meters doing that, but the immediate result pulled a bit of those going toward the party. He dashed forward, blade scything through the scattered undead, a grand harvest awaiting forth.

Closer on, he finally got to differentiate the party. There were two humans and three orcs, two of the orcs clad in a rather mismatched piece of bronze and iron wielding a heavy mace. The last orc had a wicked thick longbow and was equally as muscular as the rest, leaving an audible thrum whenever he looses an arrow. Meanwhile, the humans were a shieldbearer and a priest, the two doing a decent job plugging any gap among their rank from overflowing. They were visibly tiring though, especially the priest.

A gourd came into the equation like a wrecking ball, shattering a skeleton with a shield-tipped bodyslam with the added mass of a heavy iron plate. The first ghoul crumpled headless as it pounced forward, its target already moving before the body hit the ground.

He charged through the encirclement, drawing half a dozen undead out of the siege. The ghouls' frenzied hunger met razor sharp metal and was found wanting, their eager charge against an isolated target cost them their head instead.

He'd lure the dead and deal with them a few at a time. As stellar as his performance was getting bogged down would still be... unpleasant.

Sol facepalmed. "Why did you attract them all... You know well that I'm not good against undead. This fight is going to be dirty. I hope you can pay for my medical treatment!" Sol put the bag with the well-detailed maps on the side and join into the fight.

Tricksters are master of fighting into enemies' ranks. Being surrounded by enemies was more advantageous for them. Their killing potential wasn't very high but they can cause mayhem that will make easier for allies to finish them. Unluckily that was a group of undead so his tricks were very limited but it wasn't totally impossible to disrupted them.

Sol threw an egg to one of the ghouls. One of the main objectives of throwing eggs to the enemies' face was to piss them off and attract their attention. Emotional wise was slightly better than emotionless skeletons or mindless zombies so it works. The next action was the hardest part. Throwing himself into a bunch of zombies and skeletons and use them as obstacles for the ghoul. Normally he will never do that action but it was still daylight so zombies and skeletons reaction was slower. He will still take a lot of injuries but it was sadly the best course of action for him. Kicking, trampling, jumping from an undead to another, doing very acrobatic movements to dodge their attacks. He pushed his body to his limit but fatigue and injuries weren't his friends, he cannot resist forever. He hoped the party manages to fight back after he took a big chunk of the pressure alone.

It took him a while to realize that his partner had straight up dove amidst the undead swarm, avoiding getting eaten by inches. A deformed shield slammed into a ghoul's head just as it halfway pounced onto Sol. Thirty seconds later a gourd arrived at the same spot, retrieving the shield without stopping his blade dance.

"My bad, I kinda expected you to group up with the others. Any big injuries?" He eyed his partner from head to toe. Nothing obviously broken or bleeding too profusely at a glance. "Eh, looks alright. A little scrape wouldn't kill you."

The chat was interrupted by the party assaulted by undead coming their way, all the ghouls cleared off finally allowing them some respite. The archer orc seemed to be the leader that addressed the two.

"My party thank you for your assistance, stranger. Now that the ghouls are gone, we could untangle from the dead and retreat back to town." He seemed tired. Pulling that bow can't be easy.

"Are you on a quest?" The gourd inquired.

"We were investigating a missing person, incidentally he's an acquaintance. He went off to gather herbs in the area." The orc pointed at the general direction of the Cave. "Found him. A ghoul now."

"Ah. Sorry to hear that; Were you saying about retreating? Might be a good idea, I kinda called a whole lot of them to grab your attention earlier..."

Sol breathed heavily. "I'm better at diverting the attention from the group than fight with the group..." The injured was many but nothing was serious. The priest gave a heal but it wasn't enough for recovery from everything.
    "Let's recover our quest objectives and retreat. I really don't want to jump into another group of undead."
    Later on, Sol will note into the map about the danger of ghouls.

There were more undead activities outside of the cave with ghouls going out for hunting. An exploration into the cave requires at least a C rank with adventurers that have good fighting compatibility against undead. It will probably be a lot of stamina draining hordes than actual strong danger unless going too deep into it. Just go to the front of cave require D rank.

Note from Gourd: The herbs have been graded according to their growth maturity and flowering, each bunch separated in individual pots and have been cut properly as well as covered from direct sunlight so that they keep fresh until delivery and can be replanted if necessary. The trimmed leaf and foliage is in a different sack, it could still be ground to make paste. Waste not, want not.

OoC: We was talking about what doing next. I proposed maybe save a group of adventurer to spice thing up a bit. He came up with the whole scenario, but the course of action decided by his character wasn't the best for mine. I probably could choose options to keep my character safe but it was totally against his fighting style making him basically a dead weight(pun intended). I requested to don't change the scenario as it was more fun to deal with unexpected situations and it gives more reason to explain the design of my character. The strong points and weakness. It was a fun adventure at the end.

@shad12ow @A5G_Reaper

Zone Q11, A5G_Reaper and shad12ow like this.
  13. shad12ow

shad12ow 『Semi-Offline』

Reading List:
    Link
    Two packages arrived at the receptionist desk. It was from the masked man, Caligo. He then left two notes, one for each of the box.

Appraisal order for Jack. [ @A5G_Reaper ]
    1 x [Small Blue Crystal] => 1 x [Lesser Water Mana Crystal] | [30 Large Copper Coins]
    1 x [Medium Purple Crystal] => 1 x [Medium Thunder Mana Crystal] | [1 Silver Coins]
    Appraisal Fee : 25 Large Copper Coins

Appraisal order for Maya. [ @Hirame ]
    1 x [Small DarkCrystal] => 1 x [Lesser Dark Mana Crystal] | [50 Large Copper Coins]
    Appraisal Fee : 5 Large Copper Coins

Then he also left a note with the statement "Give them the item back after they have pay the fee to the receptionist".

OOC: Tag a receptionist and then pay your fee IC-wise. Thank you and good luck~

A5G_Reaper likes this.
  14. shad12ow

shad12ow 『Semi-Offline』

Reading List:
    Link
    As Caligo read the report, his frown turned more and more severe. After finished reading it, he can't help but let out a deep sigh.

"While it is still within our expectation, the undead activity in that area is still worrying. I will relay the message to the taskmaster so that we can maybe organize some more quests there." Another sigh escaped his mouth again as he put down the report. "I guess the growth of the herb is, at the very least, not affected that much. That's at least one good thing. Thank you for not overharvesting them."

Caligo then rummaged the drawer behind the desk and then threw a pouch filled with coins.

"Here is your reward, 15 Large Copper Coins. Split it between yourself. I will also ask the staff to give you 4 points each." He then gave them a slight bow. "Thank you for the well done job and the detailed report. Take care now."

OOC:
    @A5G_Reaper @SpearOfLies
    Good job, good job. Your progress and story will affect the next storyline quest. Thank you and take care~!

15. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    ^
    @SpearOfLies I guess it all go to you for medical expenses :blobsweat_2:

16. A5G_Reaper

Reading List:
    Link
    The gourd took a look at the bill, then his coin pouch, and back at the bill.

"...I'll come back in a few days." He dejectedly left.

17. Hirame

Hirame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Pats*
    *Cries*

A5G_Reaper likes this.
  18. A5G_Reaper

Reading List:
    Link
    Poor people unite

19. Hirame

Hirame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Cries in single bronze coin*
    Maya is the one truly poor...

AliceShiki and A5G_Reaper like this.
  20. A5G_Reaper

Reading List:
    Link
    Young padawan, you need to learn the art of "opportunistic looting".