Discussion Is the Comic Industry collapsing?

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by UnknownSaint171, Mar 3, 2019.

1. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    There's been a lot of news lately about the Comic Industry on the verge of collapse. Just one google search has brought a lot of latest articles. Is it really that bad? I also heard last week Disney try to shut down Marvel?

What are your guys thought on this? Is there any way to save it? Maybe they should do the online thing, since that's what's hip now in days.

2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Iirc all traditional printing industries like newspaper are facing similar issues, there are less people willing to buy hardcopies unless for collection. So they are slowly moving into the digital age but still retaining printing hardcopies, albeit smaller amount of prints.

The reason for the collapse, perhaps illegal uploads, such a thing is not rare as doujinshi artists and mangakas often complain on how few people would buy a copy and upload softcopies to the internet without permission, this resulted in a significant drop in hardcopy sales as no one would buy what is accessible and free in the internet. Even softcopy works are not safe as people can illegally "ripped" them off from official sites and post them somewhere else.

TheNewGuy and Astaroth like this.
  3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course it is. With the internet, who but the most dedicated follower would spend $10 per issue on a comic? Unlike in Japan where manga is mainstream, comics have always been a small niche market.

4. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    The original fan base for comics are leaving because of all the pandering and forced politics injected into them.

Will it collapse? Doubtful. At the very least not for a few years. For the majority it still hasn't gotten to the point it bothers them enough to leave it. The problem is, less people are getting into it and it's stagnating.

Doubt Disney will close Marvel. It's their golden goose egg right now.

If it wants to be saved, it needs to stop pandering, plain and simple. The collectors and people interested in softcopies will come back when they feel the book it worth it.

Other wise, they'll probably start something like webtoons and you pay a subscription to read them online.

otaku31, asriu, TheNewGuy and 6 others like this.
  5. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    pc culture in comic makes people read manga

disney may shut down the comics part of marvel. good ridance

6. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Marvel comics are shit

Just SJW assholes putting in their agendas.
    (Iron Heart, Amadeus Cho)

Miles Morales is the only good one theyve done to replace a hero.

Ripple, Capsize, AkunDami and 4 others like this.
  7. kryner

kryner BYSTANDER BY NATURE

Reading List:
    Link
    that's what happens when you alienate your core fanbase, forced politics.

otaku31, Capsize, TheNewGuy and 3 others like this.
  8. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Back when there were limited storylines, I did follow those stories because there was nothing else interesting. However, nowadays, I can find stories tailored just for me.

And after experiencing that kind of fruit, I look back at Marvel stories and feel that they're weird and over-dramatized.

To save the industry, it needs to change. You can't rely on powerhouses anymore because they lack the same draw. Especially because their message has become less exciting and more "morally" preachy. Not only that, the old financing model doesn't work with the internet era.

Quite frankly, the industry as it is now probably will collapse. But something will come along that's the exact same concept, but given a fresh coat of paint that's far more in tune with the modern world. That's how fashion trends work.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Ripple, asriu, TheNewGuy and 6 others like this.
  9. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what you mean?

10. All mighty Asian

All mighty Asian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They were giving shit here and there so it's practical they're going to fall

11. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah that’s true. The new heroes that came out, like Miss America, have forced politics within them. It’s been really distasteful
    True

Yeah I’ve noticed comics are more random and more limited compared to Manga. Most Comics I’ve read have rush endings. I think Injustice was good though.

12. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    the sheer amount of times captain Marvel had to be rebooted because sales flopped before the 5th issue is the real joke

Gin_Hindew and TheNewGuy like this.
  13. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    They are just producing shit that are pandering to non readers and all the good comics come from independent people nowadays.

otaku31, earp and TamaSaga like this.
  14. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...-state-of-marvel-creator-incentives-and-more/

"So you look at the sales–Marvel comics are now $4 apiece, and they’re thrilled if the sales are over 30,000. When I was at Marvel, the whole world was different. We didn’t have a single title–we had 75 titles–we didn’t have a single one that sold below 100,000. We had the X-Men approaching three quarters of a million. And that’s not some special No. 1, or somebody dies, or changes costumes, or someone gets married–it was every time. A lot of it was single-copy readers. People weren’t running around buying cases of it because it had a foil-embossed cover. It was every issue."

https://www.newsarama.com/36750-ret...nts-diversity-in-closed-doors-nycc-panel.html

Indie is still alive, though. Arkhaven comics has some interesting titles. Chuck Dixon's work is there. I heard that Chicago Typewriter and Gun Ghoul are good. https://arkhavencomics.com

TheNewGuy likes this.
  15. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Their old fanbase who liked physical media is dying off of old age, etc. Keep in mind that most comics since the 90's haven't really been a collectible either so there is little value in collecting them.

asriu, TamaSaga and Shio like this.
  16. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't help when people that watched the avengers movie, go to the comic book shop to pick up a avengers comic and none of the cast are the some as in the movies.

jgfenix, GrimVeilRule and TamaSaga like this.
  17. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    It's telling that a youtuber made one of the highest grossing comic book last year(Jawbreaker's lost souls). Just to show the comic book industry that it's not hard to make good comic book just give the fans what they want. And stop screwing with the characters to make them more progressive.

otaku31 and Gin_Hindew like this.
  18. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    one extra large EMP. . .
    and all will be back to hard copy~

PS: but really. well newspaper will just have to choose a different type of platform, but welp a hard copy won't really be demolished from the market.

19. roata11

roata11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well cause their comics suck, same character, same story told over and over again

20. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Disney is not interested in Marvel's comics in itself: they want the source material to create movies and TV series. Warner was less successful with its movies so it's not so severe but this tendency exists: the comic is not the main product (well, it's different for smaller and independent publishers).
    You have to take into account that the comic industry annual worth value in USA is around 1000 millions of dollars, and that is splitter among Marvel, DC and the rest of editorials. Black Panther's recaudation was 1300 millions, Avengers Infinity War 2000 millions, Wonder Woman 820 millions. So Disney and Warner can earn more with a movie than what they earn with their comics divisions in a year, and they intend to release more than a movie yearly.