Discussion Weapons in Fantasy Worlds

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sininenblue, Mar 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sininenblue

Sininenblue Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time, the weapons the MC uses is THE SWORD. I get the fact that it's probably the most famous medieval weapon out there but it just feels like people forget that there are also other weapons that the MC can probably use.

So, if you were to pick a weapon other than a sword, what would it be and why?

Personally, I would pick a hammer because learning how to hit something really hard seems easier than learning how to slash at someone. Also, I didn't know hammers were an actual medieval weapon until a few years ago, and whenever a book mentions a hammer, I would imagine a giant block on a stick.

2. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Spear. Doesn't get much simpler than point and poke

3. Tourist Bamboo

Tourist Bamboo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bow/Long Bow, Spear/Lance ....These two would be my second choice .

yaboker likes this.
  4. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A glaive or a halbred they r a sword-spear hybrid and a sword-axe hybrid respectively.
    I like them because they r very versatile and can be used differently
    A normal spear or staff is also preferable , basically anything that can work in both mid rannge and long range

5. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    A double-bladed axe. I always thought that axe is cooler than sword. Probably will need to train my strength before I can wield it tho.

6. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    A machete? A spear with two protrusions on each side so I can swing down like a pickaxe on both sides, poke and slam.

7. Siul16

Siul16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spear with dual dagger for close quarters. If the universe setting got stats I would prioritize agility.

8. yaboker

yaboker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bow or spear something that keeps me away from enemies yet still able to be a threat to them.

9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of novels that don't use swords, just swords have a reputation in fantasy worlds (but they weren't that great in real life, in medieval world most swords were used as makeshift hammers and makeshift spears)

As for what weapon I would use? The staff/wand/grimoire/orb. Why would I want to be a barbarian in a fantasy world bashing things with a weapon? I'd like to cast magic rather!

10. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What ur saying is a Halbred

11. yaboker

Reading List:
    Link
    Well played lol.

sirin423 likes this.
  12. Lirikan

Lirikan [Charming Mollusca] [Cephalopoda Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Bludgeon, mace or hammer easy to use and lethal. As long as I am strong enough to lift it, it's effective to all kind of enemy in close combat.

Sininenblue likes this.
  13. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    spear and bow

14. yaboker

Reading List:
    Link
    But a halberd would be heavier than the spear thus less mobility. And the reason I picked spear because of its simplicity, just point and stab. With the halberd you need to slash and cleave as well

15. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, unless you've got magically infinite sharpness&durability swords, a sword is pretty much the last thing you want to use against tough hide opponents. Pole-arms, bows and 1h axe/mace with shield are what you'd want. Or magic of course. But swords in general can't consistently(!) generate enough force AND cutting power to deal sufficient damage. Historically it was a back-up weapon for a reason. You can save yourself with it, but actually killing someone who isn't practically naked can be very tough.

So, I would preferably arm myself with a center grip shield, 1-2 spears for throwing and thrusting and I guess a warhammer (1h) with blunt and spiked end. And whatever armor I can get my hands on, preferably full plate (max protection while actually maintaining decent freedom of movement).

That is of course, when speaking of a fantasy setting with high Earth historical realism. If magic is "easy" than of course go full magic protection and damage buffs etc. And by that point your weapon doesn't even matter that much, it's just a matter of skill lvl and proficiency RPG style.

16. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, just nitpicking historically. Halberds would still primarily be used as spears, thus primarily used to stab at people. The axe head just gives the possibility to strike harder when making a cutting or sweeping action, like spears were used for as well. Just that, in a more confined space, like a cave or a battlefield, there is rarely any room to make large sweeping or cutting motions, so stabbing forward or cutting downwards are what you'd be able to do 80%(~) of the time. Just no room for fancy pole-arm fighting.

Sunlight_Brother and yaboker like this.
  17. Sininenblue

Sininenblue Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of shields, no one ever really uses them and even though most MCs have 1 handed swords with nothing on the other hand

18. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Halberd(axe, spear, hammer) and crossbow.

Haberd because it give you many options in how to attack your opponens. I prefer a hammer end over the spike because it it's less likely to get stuck and crushing attacks can easily wear down your opponents giving the the option to capture then if needed.
    For ranged combat I prefer the crossbow. Sure its slower firing then the bow, but it's ease of use, it's penetration and it's range are second only to firearms if built properly. Crossbows are also relatively easy to build even with out a blacksmith(though they help greatly)

19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan would prefer to use someone's petrified corpse because nobody has done it yet.

But if such a weapon is not allowed, Ai-chan would choose the glaive. Say it with me, ger-laaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiivvah! Well, it's mostly because Ai-chan practices naginata and a glaive is similar to a naginata. Naginata is way sexier than any piss-ass swords. Not only it can sword, it can also spear and staff. Naginata is truly the best weapon and should be worshipped as the god of all medieval weapons. You disagree? Meet my blade on your neck.

Sabruness and kenar like this.
  20. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    6 to 8 foot area around a combatant with a slashing polearm is more then enough to make use of their weapons. Granted caves are an issue, but anyone stupid enough to take polearms into a confined environments is more hindrance then help. Though there is something to say about attacking with the spearhead from behind a shield bearing vanguard.
    In general pole arms were ment to be used by midrange fighters from behind the shield wall. Sweeping from side to side was generally discouraged and most attacks were either spear thrusts or over head chops with the axe, pick, or hammer.

Fancy staff fighting is for light weapons or specific styles used in the Asian countries. Most European polearms were used just as you described them. Overhand chops, thrusts, or pulling down mounted opponents. Just there was a few hundred using similar attacks from behind soldiers with either shield and short spears or other one handed weapons.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.