Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    And Demon King equipment. And blood potions. And V-Cream, which restores youth.

Yes, Van will be going to school. No, he hasn't gone to school yet.

Darcia can summon Vida's familiar spirits, which means that Vida is pleased with her. She's famous in the Orbaume Kingdom as a Vida fundamentalist and the mother of a dhampir.

Honorary titles are just titles that exist as proof of achievements. If you are a noble, you would normally rule a region of the Kingdom, but honorary nobles don't have that responsibility. Basically, honorary titles are bragging rights rewards.

Bla8bla and Theyasser like this.
  2. mai.rain

mai.rain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know it is impossible to tame undead... normally.
    Privel is why they stopped inviting Darcia and they do think they are involved in that region, As there was a line along the lines of to think i almost invited the collaborates to help with the issue they caused, I can't remember when this line was though, roughly around Fiton fight.
    It might have been the general not the Lord who knows/suspects it but they clearly know its got something to do with Van as the daughter of the Scylla leader appears alive with Van.

Thats not really what i meant, the goal for Van in this area was firstly the rice paddies with it now being grown by the people who helped the liberation front (villages) and if they didn't move would have been tortured to find out about the SLF.
    Second reason is its the front line of the mid-shield nation and the Orbaume kingdom, so if Amid made a move to attack or vise versa he would know and he wanted the land lords to be the SLF so he can have connections on the front lines as well.
    I'm not saying he needs to give back the land or it is still his goal, But that was the reason he wanted it in the first place.

The land was given to the Scylla but still owned by the Sauron Duchy, the Scylla did have to pay taxes, Van basically walked in and stole it.
    Not saying he should give it back but that is what Van did, as the Duchy thinks the Scylla ran away or died.

I found the chapter but MTL is not that clear so i might be misunderstanding
    https://ncode.syosetu.com/n1745ct/332/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  3. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Weren't the Scylla there first, like long before there was a Sauron kingdom turned Duthy? With the first Sauron king recognizing their right to the land?
    I know the Sauron duchy claim is as their own land, but really it was always the Scylla's territory.
    https://lightnovelbastion.com/release.php?p=1099

4. mai.rain

mai.rain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically yes your right.
    They were fighting over the land for a long time and lost a few times but the land was to hard to farm so they kept getting it back and then the first Sauron king married a Scylla to join the lands into the duchy, however the next gen's of humans grow more distant from the Scylla to avoid them having a right to rule the Sauron Duchy, so whilst it was there land its was also joint owned and they paid taxes for the upkeep of Sauron Duchy, and where aloud to rule themselves, you could say they were vessel nobles under the Sauron family.

Reman Scimitar and hillo315 like this.
  5. ssj4maiko

ssj4maiko Welcome Back Sadpanda!

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the chapter, I really needed to review it, found some interesting stuff there, like Sauron calling the meeting with Alcrem, that happened just now.

Indeed, when he gets the name and drawing o Privel, he starts to think Darcia could be related to the Liberation Army that never did anything against him. He wanted to ask for her help against the undead, but he can't understand the connection between Undead and Vida, but according to Alda's information, there is the story that Vida got support from Evil Gods thanks to Zakkart.

He will ask Duke Hartner for information on Van, and it seems he wants to find out what Duke Alcrem knows (Now I see why he had to accept the attack, he noticed Sauron was already suspicious).

So yeah, you are right that he is suspicious, but he has no confirmation yet, however, as paranoic as he is being, thinking that Alcrem would attack Sauron in a pierce attack with the Undead, he is very scared.

6. Sorrowseer

Sorrowseer Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone else feel as the more they read of this the more its like a slippery slope, like I imagine this is how the first demon king came about, a path paved with good intentions, I liked how the undead were done at first but ever since Talosheim arc I disliked the sentient undead walking around acting like little cute rural japanese people, its just wrong to me.

hillo315 likes this.
  7. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see where you're coming from there, but there is a fundamental error in your way of thinking stemming from not having full knowledge of the situation. Primarily, the part where Guduranis and the old world of the DK and the evil gods is described as a "survival of the fittest" world where the DK ruled by fear rather than leadership skills. He is also described as arrogant and doing everything by brute force.

These facts in play, I don't think Van is in danger of the issue you are talking about. Besides that, a "slippery slope" is a logic fallacy in and of itself. If you are going to make a slippery slope argument, you have to show the logical progression rather than just claiming it.

For instance, communism being a slippery slope to systematic oppression and mass murder of the citizens. Communism has been tried enough times that we actually do know the logical progression. Communism is 1. an ideologically fueled political system. As an ideological system, the people in power and the people who support the system have a LOT of investment in the system. 2. It involves a lot of top-down central planning. 3. Top-down central planning doesn't actually work and leads to economic ruin.

Those 3 things in combination lead to a situation where the communists are forced to look for scape goats rather than admit that their ideology does not work. When they look for scape goats, they make those scape goats out to be the reason why the economic system is not working, and thus they justify killing those scape goats. This is how communism leads to systematic mass murder.

If you're going to say how the progression here is going to make a slippery slope argument, you need to at least be able to show the logic in progression like that. You may also note, this progression of logic also reveals where the chain can be broken. For instance, China has been able to break the top-down central planning portion of communism by adding in capitalistic elements to the system. This allows them to have a far more robust economy. Unfortunately this has not actually lead to a reduction on the mass genocidal tendencies of the regeim, so just the fact that they have broken the chain of "doesn't word" --> "failure" --> "scape goating" --> "mass murder by the government" has been short-circuted somewhere as the 1st 2 elements are not present in China, but for some reason the later 2 still are. This manages to prove that you don't actually need the failures in order to lead to mass murder I suppose, so while it is a logical progression, there is likely something else also present in communism in addition to those things that leads to mass murder even without the failure element.

hillo315 likes this.
  8. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sigging this. Not the entire thing as is, of course. I'll just call it "Logical Progression 101", add a link, and leave it at that.

9. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize this part is wrong. Extremely wrong. US cold war era propaganda wrong.

It is hard and extremely complicated due to the factors involved, not does not work. Since you need to balance every aspect of the economy and make sure there is redundancy and safe guards against sudden changes. The biggest problem is that the people who seek power are almost always to self centered to do the job properly and resort to "simple" solutions like relying on a single resource .

Of course the free market has just as many problems and fatal flaws as central planning, neither really work without massive safe guards against human nature.

hillo315 and Reman Scimitar like this.
  10. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, we can have this debate, but I will tell you exactly how it will go. We will both squabble the entire time about definitions and specifying exactly what we are talking about, and then eventually we will arrive at the realization at some point that our opinions are actually exactly the same as each other and our definitions were just wrong.

You are quite right, if your definitions are a certain way then central planning can work. Part of that central planning though has to involve peripheral administrators who are closer to the areas involved who can make their own decisions more responsive to the realities on the ground. Communist systems that centralize power are unwilling to give up their power, and thus until China incorporated capitalist elements there has never been a communist system that has done this.

It's kinda like this. Have you ever read Ender's Game? One of the key ways Ender was able to have his "army" be so incredibly much more effective is because he split each platoon into 8 members instead of 10, and then even assigned sub-commanders within each platoon. After this, he only gave a general briefing of the strategy from the start and occasional orders when there needed to be a big change of tactics. Otherwise, he left it to the main and sub commanders.

This was phenomenally more effective than the other armies that mostly tried to give orders where the guy at the top tried to micro manage things.

hillo315 likes this.
  11. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    So... bureaucracy can actually be a good thing? Neat. :blobthinkingsmirk:

Actually, isn't this the very point of bureaucracy? To not put all the goods in the same basket?

12. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the form of bureaucracy. If it is, as you say, working for it's intended purpose then indeed it can be a good thing. This entails that you use exactly the number of people needed and you are not creating additional useless jobs somewhere just to give people jobs and busy work to do.

(That's something that actually happens in governments that say they are going to gurantee everyone a job. They need to make extra unneeded jobs.)

If it is a trim and efficient system, then bureaucracy can be a good thing. The problem with bureaucracy is corruption and systems that prevent the fat from being trimmed when positions are demonstrated to be unneeded. In other words, great in concept, often fails in implementation, and always for the same reasons that we still haven't found a way to work out of the system. (There are some democracies that are doing a better and better job of it recently though. I blame the recession. This is how recessions can be a good thing. It makes governments realize they need to trim the fat.)

hillo315 likes this.
  13. hillo315

Reading List:
    Link
    Come to think of it, this is literally just the opposite of "I'm special because I have a job despite high unemployment rates!" :blobrofl:

Do you know what all good government systems have in common? They are high-maintenance. If these systems aren't constantly checked for corruption, they will eventually stop working because of the tiniest of flaws. The US has a checks and balances thing as an anti-dictatorship measure, but the Founding Fathers didn't think much about the opposite problem: obstructive bureaucracy.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  14. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    The biggest thing for Ender and Dragon army was that he used 3-dimensional tactics when everyone else was stuck in 2-d tactics. Every victory relied mostly on his creating new tactics or adapting to the weaknesses in the traditional tactics.

He did not micromanage as much as the others, but that is one of many flaws in their mentality he fixed for his own army.. But he cared bout wining first, the other commanders cared about themselves first.

hillo315 likes this.
  15. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget our page target is to supprass lcd death mage total page:blobhero:

Claus and hillo315 like this.
  16. sirin423

sirin423 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could vida also be a magical girl?

Theyasser and hillo315 like this.
  17. Reman Scimitar

Reman Scimitar Princess Zadiris Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    No, but she did try to stop Darcia from becoming one but failed miserably.

Theyasser and Claus like this.
  18. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    only 63 pages behind...

19. Nimitz

Nimitz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you think going to happen with the Sauron forces?

1: Leroy Jenkins
    2: an army of brown pants
    3: run away! Run away
    4: flawless victory(Duke)
    5: flawless victory(Van)

hillo315 and jubjub3000 like this.
  20. Reman Scimitar

Reman Scimitar Princess Zadiris Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    1 (typical charge), 2 (needs to see strength up close and personal), 3 (mass loss) and 5 (Borkus, Knochen and forgot the other guy being in charge and leading an undead army along with the fact the dead can be resurrected, no loss just sheer gain).

jubjub3000 likes this.