Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    My stupidity aside, i wanna ask about racism & discrimination tag.
    Racism
    Discrimination
    should they be merged or let it be?

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Could be merged IMO~

Nom de Plume likes this.
  3. Ripple

Ripple Notice me Daisydacrazy senpa

Reading List:
    Link
    Discrimination looks as if its used more on a species level

Nom de Plume likes this.
  4. tak

Reading List:
    Link
    so no merge?

5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    If you merge, just fold racisim into discrimination. Keep the Discrimination tag. Seems fine to merge for me. Racism is a specific kind of discrimination, but it boils down to the same thing imho.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. tak

Reading List:
    Link
    the staff has spoken!
    *check how many novels to edit*

:blobflag:

7. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    rasicm can breed discrimination, but discrimination does not necessarily stems from rasicm.

example case of discrimination that wasn't stemmed from racial difference,
    T**y is of noble birth in a clan of lizardmen. He has a harem of lizardkin girls. being in T**y's harem, all but 2 of them enjoys high status within the clan. the said two however, were shunned at by the clan members. why? because one of them lost and was unable to re-grew her tail, and the other was albino. they clan believes a tail-less lizard might gives the clan a 'crippled' offspring, while the albino is cursed.
    1. when a genius MC, suddenly lost his 'gift' and becomes a crippled. now all the clan members, even servants look at mc with disgust and treat him as trash.
    2. another is when an MC who came from small clan, with no backer, were given low priority in everything, be it pills, cultivation resources, even when the MC clearly shows a significant talent and ability compared to the other disciples

Blitz likes this.
  8. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    A square can be a rectangle (four sides) but a rectangle cannot be a square (four sides of the same length).

The question in this case is if this particular type of square (racism) is necessary for novels when people can already search for the rectangle that included both (discrimination).

I don’t think it is. My POV is as an American where discrimination is mainly against appearance though, so perhaps there is a need? I’ve also seen plenty of sexism and ageism and even people judging someone who uses a computer too often. I’m trying to think of who would be searching for discrimination / racism in their novels and I’m only coming up with the thought of people filtering it out. Additionally I’m trying to think of the types of novels that would include racism / discrimination, but can’t think of any justifiable difference between the content. They are used by the authors to achieve the same goals, and usually overlap.

What’s your thoughts?

9. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    yes, both tags main usage are for filtering 'out' novels that have such elements, for ppl who feels uncomfortable reading stories containing those elements.
    unlike rape/ntr, where people also use it to filter 'in. :blobpeek:

most CN cultivation novels will have some form of discrimination, usually directed towards the MC. however, novels with ancient/fantasy setting rarely has rasicm. (unless you count hatred towards demon, or other type humanoid creatures as... rasicm >.> ).

but, when the novel is set in modern world, then you could see rasicm element (that we're more familiar with) pop up here and there. MC being a chinese (example), travel abroad, met non-asian descent ppl. or those ppl come over (enemies, business rivals etc). or, MC plays an MMO, which often has 'clan wars'. example of novel - God and Devil World. i think Zhan Long has some too, but couldn't quite remember.

i'm fine with labelling an MC rasict, or a story has rasicm elements, if the 'hate' from/inside is towards ppl of a clear racial difference, but if a story gets tagged 'Racism' when the MC ,let's say S.Korean showing prejudice towards N.Korean, then i'd let Jackie Chan say it.
    wut.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  10. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, the cultivation novels are racism at its finest. The races are simply more defined. For example, demons, beastkin, and other tribes that are often looked down on and even beaten or enslaved. Discriminating against non human sentients is very very common and can absolutely be considered discrimination on the basis of race (racism).

Not to mention the common “only Chinese exist” settings in such novels. Some like Stellar Transformations (post apocalyptic) novels do bring in other human ethnicities. It does often seem to be the other nationalities looking down on the Chinese when they do appear, but it’s more like the Chinese characters don’t even put the other races in their eyes (consider them opponents).

11. tak

Reading List:
    Link
    in the novel i read, mc doesn't hate based on race, but
    • Ancient: war on barbaric race
    • Fantasy: elf vs dark elf
    • Sci-fi: somehow, in the far away future when people fight with "gundam" in space, the enemy talks with "baka" and "nani"

i'll leave it be then

12. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    is it still rasicm if if they're not even the same species?

this is how i look at it.

if you hate a spesific mosquito and holds a prejudice towards 'it' (should i use her/him?), is it rasicm? now, that same exact mosquito cultivates several thousand years, evolved into a mosquitoman, then have a clan of its own. How does it suddenly become a rasicm now?

how do we draw a line between rasicm?

that's why i disagree if you include non-human into equation of rasicm. especially when it comes to fantasy.

don't confuse rasicm with 'social' rasicm. or nationalism. or chauvinism

if it is chinese/asian descent prejudice towards black people. yes i would agree it is rasicm. (according to current standards). but if you include japanese vs chinese as rasicm, i disagree. can you even tell the difference between the two if they're standing side-by-side? that's why i gave an example of Koreans earlier.

wood/high elves versus dark elf? if we use 'our', 'modern', values, then yes, perhaps that is rasicm. but only between them.

war on barbaric race.
    are they human?
    is mc / the ppl warring againts them human?
    (you can see where i'm going with this)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  13. tak

Reading List:
    Link
    i said "barbaric race" because usually the enemy is painted as uncultured but strong race. need to be enlightened, guided, good for workforce... the reasons colonizer usually use to get slaves. they are not painted as equal but opposing force.
    elf vs dark elf is a bit of a blur cause usually they are painted as opposing religions, but there are novel where both race have no difference beside skin color and dwelling place (white elf: serene forest. dark elf: dark underground/cave)
    you know how black people is usually painted as the bad guy, poor, or thugs in hollywood until recently? japanese and korean is usually painted as the bad guy in those novels.

14. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    that lines are too blur to be considered rasicm. not when it comes from a chinese mc/author, imho.

but then, rasicm, nationalism, patriotism, chauvinism is not really my field of study, so i could be wrong. i just feel the we should not too quick to apply the word 'rasicm' in each and everything. especially when it involves non-human, or in other words, different species.

15. tak

Reading List:
    Link
    mm, same. how did we get sidetracked again? i was just asking if racism tag should be merged with discrimination tag:blobsweat_2:

16. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Just label it speciesm xd

17. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    No, discrimination should not be merged with racism. I'd say those are quite different. Racism means that you hate people for their race and/or believing that your race is superior to others, that's all. Discrimination is more broad, hate someone who is poor? Discrimination. Hate someone who wasn't born in the house of nobility? Discrimination.

Actually, looking back, racism is under discrimination. But I still don't think it's appropriate to merge them both. It will give more insight to the novel.

18. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    I vote in favour of merge.

19. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Racism and discrimination should be kept separated in my opinion even thought racism is a form of discrimination.

Racisim is basically discrimination due to ones ethnicity. There are enough novels which have it to a stong degree for it to be its own tag
    its also a tag which really acts as a make or break to whether someone would read the novel or not. I.e. like how some people avoid novels which have tags like yaoi,Yuri,rape,MMorpg and stuff like that.

Discrimination on the other hand is a lot more broad. It can be used as a theme of the novel eg. Discrimination between different social classes, discrimination between cultivators and non cultivators
    And for another thing in most of the isekai novels its used in the context of discrimination between species

Sorry if it's a bit messy. I'm falling asleep

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/folklore/

Asking again because I didnt get any answers last time. So what does this tag imply? Presence of folklores or Story based on a folklore? Does it have to be an actual rl folklore or a folklore made as part of the novel's setting?