LCD A Record of a Mortal's Journey to Immortality

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by bluefire, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Vocah

Vocah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a question regarding the writing style (or whatever it is called). The first volume ended like a book would, so, will this continue for the following volumes? If the answer is a "Yes" then it would probably be worth it to wait for a volume to finish before continue reading it.

2. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    It's very good!

RMJI's author actually seems to know how to write compelling antagonists. (This is sadly not the case for most xianxia/xuanhuan novels, IMO...)

I also like how RMJI blends the wuxia and xianxia genres. It feels rather unique in this. (I would explain in more detail, but it's kind of a spoiler. But you can expect to see both wuxia-style martial arts practitioners and xianxia-style immortal cultivators in this novel.)

The most common complaint I've seen is that the novel is "slow-paced".

3. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Alhana

Alhana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well issth took over 100 chapters to become interesting :p i'm guessing its the same for RMJI. After all this novel was ranked the top novel in china. I can't wait to see what happens when he finally joins an immortal sect.

5. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/members/parth37955.1307/#profile-post-36687 (Buried in the "View previous comments")

I guess I'm different. There's no way I'd have the patience to read through 100+ boring/mediocre chapters before a novel finally gets interesting. haha

I personally thought RMJI and ISSTH were pretty good right from the start.
    It's really surprising to me how many people seem to dislike ISSTH book 1... and apparently the whole battle of wits/deception and the final duel between Han Li and Doctor Mo in RMJI wasn't particularly well-liked by the same sort of people either. (Even though I thought it was brilliant...)

Rapacity, Lazybum0 and criticalmind like this.
  6. Alhana

Alhana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I felt that the faced off with Doctor Mo was brilliant.. but the author seems to take like 50 chapters before he fights a villian. Another 50 chapters, before he fights the dwarf immortal guy. The arcs take too long to build up to the climax though T T

7. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, to begin with I absolutely love this story. Love the MC, the world, the cultivation and the myriad of characters we've seen so far.

That said, holy crap the chapter lengths for this series are absolutely terrible. It feels like the teaser for the following chapter takes up 1/3 of the chapter, and the teaser isn't even that long!

This is my one issue with the series is that the pacing is remarkably terrible, I'm not sure it's just attributed to chapter length or the author's writing style but so far it's been like 10 chapters just to get through this initial encounter with Doctor Mo's family. I'm loving the series and all, but damn. The chapters just feel way too short.

8. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    I really love it as well. But yeah, the chapters are short. haha

GGP said once that the author wasn't a professional writer when he wrote RMJI, and so the chapters were written on his lunch breaks and such. That explains the length.

9. Mr_Magika

Mr_Magika Big oof

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this series really going to pick up? So far all I'm seeing is how the author has no idea where he wants to take the story. He set up the sect and that gang a fair amount but decided to end that abruptly. Then he set up the Mo Family by introducing a butt ton of earth shattering beauties in a deadlock with a bunch of other factions and even gave the MC a foothold in the city with that small gang he's in control of, but then decided that he wants to write something else so dealt with all that OFFSCREEN and moved on. This is getting frustrating to read.

Jarrow likes this.
  10. losha

losha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just started to read again from where I left this but can't remember what was in that doctors will.
    Anyone got that chapter or just the content?

11. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 62
    Chapter 104

12. Urbek Mazino

Urbek Mazino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been wondering this for a while who's the girl in the picture , had she been shown in the novel ??? Or she just there to fill the background ??

13. maxalors99

maxalors99 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does this novel contains romance?
    I just confused due to the girl in the cover image

14. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    Not yet, no.

I don't know who the girl on the cover is either. Although it could just be a random image the author found, liked, and decided to use as the cover? That happens with a lot of Chinese webnovels.

Rapacity likes this.
  15. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My frustration peaked (and resulted in a ragequit) when the MC was too much of a fuckin coward to even say goodby to his family. I'd liked it that earlier, he'd at least reminisce about his folks on occasion, rather than out-of-sight-forget-they-ever-existed bs that most MC's use. So his betrayal of his own established character broke the remaining immersion that was so fragile in the 1st place. This is one author who needed an editor before publishing.

16. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought the author explained it pretty well?

Han Li was emotionally shaken to see how much his family had changed over the years (to the point of barely being able to recognize them). And he was afraid that if he were to reunite with them, he wouldn't be able to tear himself away again to continue on his journey. He thus felt that he had to choose between [1] returning to lead the life of a mortal or [2] cutting his worldly ties to pursue cultivation/immortality.
    He chose the latter, although it wasn't an easy choice for him, IIRC. But it's not as if he heartlessly abandoned his family -- remember that he lifted them out of poverty by sending them a bunch of money during his time in the mortal sect. Thanks to Han Li, they're now prosperous and his sister was able to find a good husband.

Rapacity likes this.
  17. maxalors99

maxalors99 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I now see that it has a "romance" added in the genres.
    Is there romance in the recent chapters or in the raws that not yet translated?

18. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about the future, but there's not really been any romance so far.

19. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 252: Separation
    Harsh reality!
    Han Li obviously has a special interest toward Mo Cai Huan , but alas the differences between the 2 are too much.
    It's better to leave at that before he gets attached to the girl.

20. Dori

Dori CDLevit.

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally caught up with the translators. It was interesting, I'm waiting for that war to end I'm looking forward to that moment when the mc will use that formation. Still, I think that he'll meet again that young man who wanted to trap him.