Discussion Tranxending vision redactions on wuxiaworld

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by SAimNE, Aug 14, 2019.

1. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't got a clear understanding of what's happening with these. Is it vip exclusive to get the full chapter if it was redacted in China? Or is it just a temporary bug? If it's the former I may have to put WW into the same corner as QI and give up my plans of subbing to support the new pay model. If its the latter is there any information on how long it will take?

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    can you give a example of what you are refering to?

3. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recently there was a chapter (well at least 2) which large chunks were taken out of. Assumedly due to good old flat out ridiculous Chinese censorship(winnie the Pooh all the backup I need for this statement). To the point the story even starts not making sense at all... Well I mean starts making even less sense in terms of TV . I'm not sure if it's an error like a few others that there isn't a spoiler tag or w.e. to contain them, or if it's exclusive to VIP subscribers to get those redacted parts.

4. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most probably it was removed in the official raws on the original website. The tl follows the official raws. Also there is no such thing as an exclusive full chapter in WW.
    Edit - there was a similar thread an year ago and the tl showed the raws, and she follows the official raws from zongzheng. The censorship laws are getting stricter day by day in China.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on the comments there are spoilers with the redacted parts. However I can't figure out if it's vip exclusive or not. Also a translation is a derivative work and no law will be found from adding in those removed parts. Happens in small factor in localization all the time. This isn't China exclusive, so it'll be hard to find someone who gives two shits if China didn't want that part read >=>

6. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    Translation may be a derivative thing but big sites like WW, volare have legalised their works by getting licenses. Now if they add something on their own which the company may find out, gives a bad rep. Also generally translators don't add things on their own, they may remove some things.
    Which is the chapter these have happened in Tranxending vision?

7. Tianshen

Tianshen Ex-Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry to say but this statement isn't completely true, Coiling Dragon is already Amazon exclusive and ISSTH will be too when they published the ebooks I guess. Can still read for free now though, so for those who didn't read it yet better be fast.

I know there's aggregator but well...

8. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Every translator since the dawn of time has put back in the BS redactions China forced through if it broke the story flow. If they didn't people posted links to the full raw and it got a full chap release later. Don't know the chap number but it was just a recently.

Also I doubt the companies have any issue with the full versions being released. The BS laws that forced them to pull full chapters and sections were exclusive to Chinese citizens. The English TL can have the full version and I am HIGHLY doubtful the publisher would object, and I'd bet they'd prefer it since it increases readability and thus future profits. No one's going to pay for the full copy of "that story with x-ray vision that just kept sporadically jumping around the storyline with no continuity at all"

9. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant in their VIP perks. Not sure what you are replying. Also, these books have been completed for more than over 2 years now. From what I know it is Amazon/kindle policy to have exclusives, not sure about it. Also, their completed novel system is changing anyway.
    I read the comments and it indeed looks like a sponsor only thing.

10. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well on the plus side I can save my 10 bucks. If they're playing it this way I'm definitely not going silver much less gold :/. Unfortunate that I'll have to drop quite a few novels I was reading or planning to reread, but ye can't support this kinda crap.

11. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    The translators that I've asked and have seen being asked say they follow the official raw. Before there were fan translations, now they are becoming official translations. That's a difference.

12. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The difference is being dumb. Why mutilate a story when it's no longer necessary? There is no reason for the companies to want it, and there is no reason for the readers to want it. And none of the government's where it's being read would give a flying fuck about it without being paid a LOT to focus on it.

13. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a question you have to ask the chinese government. They want everyone to be a goody two shoes. Companies/readers can't do anything bout it. Also the difference isn't dumb, it means that some company someday can't sue you or force you to take down your translations.
    And based on the comments on the chapter, the removed part from the raws is available for sponsors and not for public release. Since the public release may fall under the contract. This is my hypothesis though.

14. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is the Chinese laws were about releasing "harmful" novels to the Chinese Public. I severely doubt there is any restriction on "corrupting" the western youth. They could still just remove that part on any English repostings on a domestic site, and they're in the clear. Hell the way people find those original novels is it just gets posted on the authors unofficial blog. They don't give a crap unless it's the mainstream site

15. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is these translators translate from the official source where these laws have removed the bits. Now, you have to ask the translators then about the source they are following, and it is up to them to decide.

16. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah but there is guaranteed to be nothing in the contract expressly stating they can't remove or add parts as needed... Cuz that's an everyday thing with translators.

As for WW if this is in fact a contractually forced thing I may reconsider the sub again... But I'll need to find some kind of assurance this isn't just a BS cash grab attempt. Also while it would boost my opinion of WW back up, it'll definitely lower my opinion of Zong. Finally get a chance to release it close to how the author intended, and you just choke it down all on your own initiative even though the government doesn't have a say or care in what the US/internation partner company releases... Just sad at that point.

As an aside I feel like I've been personally fucked over by the Chinese government a few too many times as someone who'd have to go back at least 12 generations to find a connection -_-.

Starting to hope all their government execs get tossed in a prison... All dressed as stuffed animals, and with a warden named Christopher Robinson.

Astaroth and mm38910 like this.
  17. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    About the BS crash grab attempt, there wasn't any announcement that sponsor then we will you give undeleted content. This has happened once before in Tranxending vision and there was no extra for sponsors. UTS also had a scene removed. Rather than a cash grab, this is more like an extra perk like exclusive sponsor artworks. Cash grab would be advertising all over the site. We may have different opinions on this. Also as I said this is up to the translators, why they follow strictly I don't know. I just made a guess that they do these things due to contract.
    I would say that for novels like Traxending Vision this may occur again due to the nature of the novel.

Here is RWX's statement on a similar thread last year

18. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    At least with Rebirth of the Thief LittleShanks (the TL) explicitly mentioned a few times that he uncensored some parts. Entire chapters even.

mm38910 likes this.
  19. mm38910

Reading List:
    Link
    I've dropped that novel after 30 chaps, always trying to get back but the initial chapters bore me.

20. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair though, a lot of media gets affected by chinese censorship, even outside of China.

Just recently in Hearthstone there was new card art made for some cards that hadn't been touched for 6 years, minor edits like removing blood, and one of the cards was completely changed and renamed (half naked succubus -> felhound)

(And that's just one of many instances in plenty of games and media where it has happened, I just used this as an example since it's the most recent one that came to my mind.)

So while it's not exactly the same, but it's quite apparent that Chinese regulations have an influence abroad.