Fanfics for Coiling Dragon

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by kingsahib, Jul 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingsahib

kingsahib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for good fanfics of coiling dragon with at least 50 chapters and ongoing such as the burning feind

Illisaide likes this.
  2. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    I had no idea they made fanfics of it, where can I look for them?

philosopher17 likes this.
  3. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would anyone even write fanfics for xianxia? They are all about MC just moving forward trough cultivation and realms, no point in changing that for another character. It's not like there's much there to interact with other characters who get left behind and forgotten. It's not like the MC will replace or help abused Naruto or Harry and make them OP, MC becomes OP anyway pretty fast and no one messes with him and lives. There's no saving anyone, no fixing regrets.

Zerak likes this.
  4. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that pretty much sums it up.
    whats the point of a fanfic if all it does is replace the MC with another character and even though they are more OP somehow they still do the exact same things.

Jojo775 likes this.
  5. Illisaide

Illisaide ╰(✧∇✧╰) Venti!~

Reading List:
    Link
    Not Xianxia in general, but Coiling Dragon. The power-leveling mechanism is so ridiculous, even more so than most xianxia novels, but it’s one of the few cultivation novels out there (I’ve only read 2 in my 6 years of novel-reading) where the MC stays true and doesn’t leave people behind even when he goes to a new realm. And he actually come back to the lower realms to help out when he could!

The entire story realms are connected intricately—the world building is fantastic. So many places and policies and beliefs and religions and the relationship between them. And they’re all connected!

Like how the highest religion in his starting realm originated from one of his comrades. And when said comrade was killed, his angels were set free and the effects rippled down throughout the realms and changed the politics in them

I wouldn’t mind playing in that sandbox, really.

The (almost) unique thing about this story is that it’s a xianxia where characters DON’T get left behind. Not even when they die. And I do mean that literally.
    Once the MC got strong enough, he went to the land of the dead, grabbed their souls, powered them up, and dragged them back to his side.
    And because of that, the fanfics don’t necessarily need new characters to take the place of the MC. What I find intriguing (and fanfic worthy) is that he
    never actually reached his goal. I mean, yeah, his goal in the beginning was to get stronger, but that lasted only halfway through his first realm. His main goal, the reunion of all the people he holds nears and dear to his heart, the reason he took so many risks, got stronger and stronger, almost got his soul destroyed so many times for? In the last chapter of the story, he got told that it would never happen, no matter how strong he got.
    You know the five stages of grief? It was like the MC was stuck in the bargaining stage for the entire story and only when he got to the acceptance stage that the story could end.
    There’s more to a person than power, and the MC is pretty emotionally wrecked because of the people he promised to protect and couldn’t save in the end. He has plenty of regrets it’s what fuels his story (He certainly didn’t become strong for the sake of being stronger. He became strong to atone for his mistakes and to fix his regrets). So there’s definitely room there to play around.
    Also? CROSSOVERS!
    In the end, the ‘penultimate god’ is stuck watching his worlds, but he isn’t. And he became aware of new universes including one where the description sounds a lot like Doctors Who and another one that sounds like Terminator and its Skynet. Sure, he chose to
    ignore them, seal the majority of his powers, go back to his family, and cherish the time they have,
    but what if? WHAT IF? Visits are a thing aren’t they? And even if they aren’t, he’s sure to outlive his universe ending.

6. Illisaide

Reading List:
    Link
    Where can I find this fanfic?

7. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I know, I've read it years ago... characters in novels like this may not be left behind but they aren't a factor either. They're just there for the MC when he returns to have a feast with them and go back again. Family in xianxia/xuanhuan doesn't matter once the MC saves them, whether he keeps in contact or not.
    Even if it's one of the best xuanhuan out there, it isn't a good material for fanfics coz of the messed up cultivation system. If someone is a realm lower than the enemy, even if there's a thousand of them in a formation, they might as well roll over and die.
    The problem with vast majority of xianxia and xuanhuan is that MC doesn't need some fanfic's authors help, to do some things better than in canon coz he already does everything perfectly. He saves everyone, he gets OP super fast, any faster would be ridiculous and pointless.
    Yes when he becomes a ruler of gradmist or whatever he is aware of other universes so what? Him going there is pointless, it would just be him pretending to face difficulties. If you wanna OP character like that, might as well write a fanfic of DC or Marvel and mess with some mortals for their entertainment or something.
    Maybe if someone thought to write only about the mortal realm and keep powers limited there, but that's not something I'd expect from xianxia readers to write about, they aren't the most mature or literate bunch.
    Related to that I wouldn't thrust anyone who wrote a xianxia fanfic to be anything of passable quality, I guess they are around the level of qidian fanfics which I wouldn't touch with Son Goku's extended power pole, or at best at the average royal road level.

8. Illisaide

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose you’re right about the majority of it, but Hope springs eternal, I guess? All kinds of people out there (even though I’ve never read a Coiling Dragon fanfic I like, someone might write them, someday). And I do like certain aspects of Coiling Dragon despite the cultivation system. The emotional stuff the MC goes through really speaks to me. He might not need help to get stronger and more powerful, but emotionally, he’s pretty much like everyone else out there—a little broken.

And there’s stuff like Again With a Little Extra Help (I assume you’ve read/watched Naruto) around, so I know OP in a lesser world could be done well. I would love to see something like that with Coiling Dragon involved.

You know what I’d write if I was confident in my storytelling?
    I’d have LinLey be suddenly tossed back in time, to a period no more than 3 days before the destruction of the Kingdom. Preferably in public. As the cultivation system in Coiling Dragon isn’t based on training, but understanding of the natural laws, being a Grandmist and knowing the said laws, he’d automatically ascend to highest level of Paragon. His ascension is very showy. Except there’s a catch: there’s a reason people physically cultivate other than to come into contact with the laws more often. Like what happened to that other guy in the between where he was melted by the grey mist—if the body is too weak to hold the power, you’d be in danger.
    As the power pools into Linley’s unprepared body, it breaks and weakens severely before LinLey could seal the power. Before he gets himself to a level 9 physical saint, he cannot use his OP strength. But getting to a level 9 physical saint is almost impossible considering he’s now in a crippled body in a lower realm with few resources.
    As the ascension being what it is and creating ripples in the between, most of the higher ups in the realms will be aware of someone suddenly ascending to their level (or so they think) somewhere in this lower realm.

So that’s where I’d start. LinLey crippled with none of his usual support around him. Having all this power, but knowing that it’s a glass cannon and that using it is worse than not. With nothing but his cultivation knowledge and power imbued statues to barter with, but having to be careful because it’s a crime to possess something precious without the power to protect it. And in the meanwhile, enemies and people who look like but aren’t friends yet are converging on his location. LinLey, weaker and less mobile than ever, with so much more to lose, must now deal with danger with only his knowledge as a weapon, but this knowledge can be fatal as his most powerful friends (who he instinctively trusts) aren’t his friends at this point in time. Also? Politics.

9. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny I'm just about finished with another story from Third Fang, From Fake Dreams, though I did read reviews from AWLEH and it doesn't look too good. It seems as one of those early stories where author wasn't that good.
    About your idea, it's nothing special sorry. I've seen plenty of fics where MC gets OP but with severe limitations. In most of them he breakes trough too fast and those limitations became pointless and the story bland. Not to mention it's common in xianxia be it a senior in the artifact that helps in crisis and exhausts his power or MC is recovering when a bunch of mosqitoes start annoying when otherwise he could've killed them with a pinky.
    Not that the idea isn't worth doing, but you'd have to really make the effort to not fall in with the rabble so to speak.
    Remember one thing though, you can't write a short fanfic on any xianxia unless it's crack.
    Long stories require relatively long fanfics, so you plan going trough all three realms with 9 sub realms of power(the usual in xianxia, not sure if it was in CD but something similar was for sure), you can't do that in less than 100k words.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  10. Illisaide

Reading List:
    Link
    Nasuverse fanfics do tend to be deeper than Naruto ones. No, AWLEH isn’t that deep, but it’s very enjoyable and fun to read. That’s what matters most in the end, though, isn’t it? And it’s a good template of what could potentially happen if you put OP characters in a lesser world, which I’m hoping might inspire someone for Coiling Dragon...not much hope considering how long it’s been since the end of it and the lack of fics since, but someone is asking for CD fics so the outlook shouldn’t be all that bad.:cookie:

Of course it’s not that special. I probably wouldn’t be thinking of writing a fanfic with it if it was. But it’s what I would write for Coiling Dragon if I could. And I wouldn’t go through all the realms, just his original one. I imagine once he solved his physical problems, his understanding would kick in and he’d be a Grandmist again. No point continuing after that.
    Besides, I don’t have any intentions of making the story more than a daydream and actually writing it. I tried writing a fanfic for Harry Potter and Katekyo Hitman Reborn once. Never got past the first chapter. There wasn’t even any hint of KHR. For anyone reading, it might very well just be a depressing HP story. You can look at my dismal attempt here. Had such plans for it too. Including real reasons for Bianchi’s murder of Romeo instead of it being a running gag whenever Adult!Lambo shows up. But well, I’m not a writer.:sushi_sigh:

11. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Make Naruto dark and it's basically deep by default, manipulative Hiruzen and so on. It isn't about one fic being worthier than the other, both are excellent for writting fanfics. just those reviews give me bad impressions of the type of fics I've read before. The ones with OP characters basically pranking the canon.
    I also attempted to write once, it was when Royal Road only had LMS fanfics so mine was VMMORPG fanfic too. Had a good idea with a sniper MC coupled with One Piece references but I'm no writter, I have no fluidity or ability to write in depth. I didn't want to write what amounted to something little better than listing of events so I gave it up as bad job.
    A bit of advice, don't hope someone will write the kind of fanfic you would like, nobody will.
    Just look at the inifinty genre, it's a total failure, the original, the novels followed in this new genre and it's fanfics. It has so much potential but apparently only the worst writters pick this up. Well there was one fanfic that was actually good, infinity islands or something. It was going great when the author botched the last chapter in the first volume. Readers complained and he listened, said he was gonna rewrite the last chapter and continue, after all the show just got started....he disappeared. The nerve of these writters, I realize they aren't writting for money but since they gathered quite a following, how hard is to post a note, sorry I've dropped this or something.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.