Harry Potter books removed from school library because they contain 'real' curses and spells

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by perspherspley, Sep 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Dan Reehill, a pastor of St Edward Catholic School in Nashville, Tennessee, says he consulted with Vatican exorcists before making an unpopular decision.
    [​IMG]

A Roman Catholic school in Tennessee has banished JK Rowling's universally popular series of Harry Potter novels from its library shelves after its pastor took exception to their portrayal of magic, warning the spells and curses the author describes are real and “risk conjuring evil spirits” when read.

The Reverend Dan Reehill explained his decision in an email to the parents of students at St Edward Catholic School in Nashville, declaring that he had consulted with exorcists in the US and at the Vatican before outlawing the seven-volume tale of the boy wizard’s career at Hogwarts and his battle against Lord Voldermort and the forces of darkness.

“These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text,” the Reverend Reehill wrote, apparently in all seriousness.

Rebecca Hammel, the superintendent of schools for the Catholic Diocese of Nashville, told The Tennessean that the Reverend Reehill had indeed sent the email and has the final say on the matter since the Catholic Church does not have an official position on Ms. Rowling’s best-selling series.

“Each pastor has canonical authority to make such decisions for his parish school,” she said. “He’s well within his authority to act in that manner.”

The school has recently opened a new library for its students, Ms. Hammel explained, prompting the faculty to reassess its catalogue.

“I know that in the process they were going through and kind of weeding out some of the content in hopes of sprucing it up and improving the circulation,” she said.

Ms. Hammel did say the school would not stand in the way of students reading Harry Potter at their parents’ discretion.

“Should parents deem that this or any other media to be appropriate we would hope that they would just guide their sons and daughters to understand the content through the lens of our faith,” Hammel said.

“We really don’t get into censorship in such selections other than making sure that what we put in our school libraries is age-appropriate materials for our classrooms.”

Source

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    Time to buy the harry potter book and go read it in his church during sermon

and burn a bible, for good luck

3. TouchMeLikeASpaceBar

TouchMeLikeASpaceBar [Innocent]

Reading List:
    Link
  4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    My college even got a guide to torture and some kind of how to beat someone weaker.
    Theyre just making it too kid proof that just backfires to the adults.

6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah right real spell and curse... if he's right, then i should had a letter from hogwarts when i'm 11 years old

8. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    W8, you all have harry potter book in school? :hmm::hmm:

9. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Kainord

Kainord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because of idiots like these we cant make contact with inrelligent races from space. Cause they eating popcorn and watching the show.

11. mellowdias

mellowdias Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The incredible things cited for censorship never cease to amaze me. I wonder what source he has for claiming them to be genuine curses- like did someone meet an accident and have the book open next to their injured self or something???

12. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read the damned book since i was elementary school kid..... chanted a number of spells in embarassing and ridicilous poses till second grade in junior high...... no damn demon appear, i didn't go berserk like my high school year when i long stopped chanting the damn spell, and certainly no demon possessed me.......

13. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a Christian i would just like to say that these people are stupid for doing this of course its the Crazy Catholics who would do it

14. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  15. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that book is full of magic and curses

16. Inraviel

Inraviel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, if you heard, but in Poland there was one church that burnt some books, with that HP books.

17. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    This is nothing, NOTHING, NOTHING

Compared to the imbeciles in this country that want creationism taught as a SCIENCE in high school classrooms. All I can say is WUT?!?!:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

18. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, I think back when I was in high school, the teacher had to give a slip to us students saying that the theory of evolution was still very much in doubt.

19. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a Catholic I would like it if you didn't generalize. Harry Potter books are far more appropriate than many books that are given as school material and they should have stayed. You wouldn't like it if I said, oh those crazy americans about this, would you? It is too easy to dismiss a person's worth in intelligent discussion based on their belonging to some group. There is no some massive collective where 1 pastor speaks for every single catholic on the planet and I don't agree with him at all.

Sufferings of Young Werther, now that is a book that summons demons. How the hell do you get so emo your books can cause depression by being read? And who is it then that decides it gets to stay despite its utter lack of literary worth?

This seems like he did it purely to attract attention to himself and the Church doesn't have an official stamce as was stated.

20. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Did the people running this school get dropped his/her head when they were a baby? Hard? A lot?:facepalm: