Resolved [JP] Please help wit this line.

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Takeba, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please help with this bold line (again).

「あのさ、俺歩けるから」
    「レイ歩きたいの?僕は愛しい君をべったりしっかり抱えていたいんだけど」

今までみたいにからかうように言うならともかく、ガチで本音ですと言わんばかりに愛情たっぷりに発言してくれちゃうもんだから、始末におえない。

どうしたもんかなこのテンション。恥ずかしくてまともに顔が見れなくなるからやめてほしい。

How do I say the bold line in English? Many thanks once again.

2. Dyschology

Dyschology Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dang that's a tough one, it says resolved though did you figure it out? Now I'm pretty curious what it means...

3. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't yet lol. I don't remember changing the status but I am still hoping someone could help me with it. I just wrote what I thought could be the meaning and change it later. Hopefully. :blobsad:

4. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    「あのさ、俺歩けるから」

"Excuse me, I can walk already..."
    "Does Rei want to walk? But you see, I want to continue holding you close like this, my love..."

At any rate, exactly like now, saying things that sound like a joke, lovingly spouting passionate words just like they were (his/her/their) utmost true feelings without any constraint.

Why do I keep feeling this weird nervousness? It's so completely embarrassing that I can't even show my face and I wish it would stop.

:blobwoah: humm...I tried...

dhRPGamer and Takeba like this.
  5. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At least it's better than mine lol. Thanks! I'll use this:D:sushi_thankyou:.

Snowbun likes this.
  6. dhRPGamer

dhRPGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Completely taking a wild stab at it but...

For all the times that he had said it until now, all the times he teased me about it, he had always laughed it off as a joke. And now all of a sudden he said he was speaking from his heart all along? That all his words filled and saturated with love and affection had been true all this time? The change was so sudden that I could hardly take it in.

...maybe? @@

Snowbun and Takeba like this.
  7. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a question, @Momoyuki @dhRPGamer I just want to ask, where do I incorporate ならともかく?

8. dhRPGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I see now, it should be...

I had been fine with it all along, all the times when he said it jokingly, teasing me. But now all of a sudden...

For the use of "ならともかく", "it's different when ... but" or "it's not so bad when ... but". See this explanation here, I think.

(EDIT: Again, maybe, since I'm not Japanese, nor am I in any way learned or fluent in the language... @@

Snowbun likes this.
  9. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Humm... I’m sorry too...I don’t think I understood the meaning of this phrasing well. Probably @dhRPGamer is more accurate, something like:

It’s fine if it’s a joke but saying things like that as true feelings is something I cannot understand.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    dhRPGamer likes this.
  10. dhRPGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    Nono, I definitely am not completely sure of my answer. (I only understood it partially and guesstimated the rest... so... OTZ

11. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    Major liberties going on I know so take it worth a grain of salt, but I think joining the bold and last sentence together brings it out better, at least in English.

"W-What am I supposed to say when you tease me like this? When you say it that way, I just want to hide my face!"

dhRPGamer likes this.
  12. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dhRPGamer likes this.
  13. dhRPGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    XD

Though sometimes I do find it easier, translation I mean, if you turn off your brain and just write down the first thing that comes to you. Chances are, though it may not be completely right, it probably isn't too far off the mark either. Most of the times, 100% accuracy isn't necessary, and you can always go back to it later too.

(Since, even if some of it was off the mark, either someone will spot it and tell you about it, in which case you can just edit it away with a few mouse clicks, or no body notices, in which case that would just be that.

( (Though if you're doing this as a challenge to yourself then it'll be a different story.

Takeba and Snowbun like this.
  14. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s ok! I wish I could help you out more!
    I’m pretty new at editing and none of the above (EN/JP) is my native language but like @dhRPGamer said above, it’s all about riding that learning curve and just doing the best you can!

Takeba and dhRPGamer like this.
  15. dhRPGamer

Reading List:
    Link
    All the while remembering to have fun while doing it. XD

16. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you would like another opinion, I think @dhRPGamer captures a lot of the meaning.

Here are a couple of alternatives that might help you sort things out for your own understanding.

This one is more literal:
    It would be one thing if he was teasing me about it like he had done all this time, but because he was declaring his deep, heart-felt affection for me, as if he was truly serious about it, this was a crazy situation to manage.​

This one is more liberal:
    Okay, if he was just teasing me about it like he had done all this time, fine. But he was actually serious about it? Like declaring his love for me serious? So how was I supposed to deal with him now?​

I hope that helps.

Takeba likes this.
  18. solyana116

solyana116 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello! Was looking at the thread and picked up on this: “ならともかく”

The “なら” is actually a part of the former clause, “言うなら”, meaning “if you say”. “ともかく” is itself a word, meaning “at any rate/in any case (of events)”. E.g. “ともかくテニスができなかったら、水泳をやってみます!” “At any rate, if I can’t play tennis, I’ll try swimming!”

Hmm...I’ll try to break down the sentence:

今まで- みたいに- からかうように- 言うなら- ともかく- ガチで- 本音ですと-言わんばかりに-愛情-たっぷりに-発言してくれちゃうもんだから、-始末に-おえない。

Up until now - just like - teasingly - if he says it like that - at any rate - clattering (ガチis an onomatopoeic word for sound of plate falling) - true intentions - just verbally - love - plentiful/generous - actively- circumstances - can’t deal with.

Rearranging the syntax Rei is saying:
    At any rate if he were just teasingly saying this like up till now, but he’s proclaiming his true feelings by actively expressing so much love, I can’t deal with this situation.

(I’ve used “proclaiming” but the phrase literally means he is dropping his true intentions like they are like plates falling)

Borrowing off what @Momoyuki and @nachte said to get a general gist of the convo in English:
    「あのさ、俺歩けるから」

“Umm...I can walk already so...”
    “Does Rei want to walk? But I want to continue tightly holding you close like this, my love...”
    At any rate if he was teasing me like he had done up till now, it would be fine, but he was proclaiming his true feelings through heart-felt affection. Under these circumstances, I didn’t know what to do.
    What’s up with this feeling of anticipation (excitement)? (I wish it would stop -) I’m so embarrassed I can’t show my face.

Hope this helps! :blobxd:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    rubear, Snowbun and Takeba like this.
  19. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @nachte @solyana116 Thanks so much! Now it's really solved like the status of this thread is saying. :sushi_thankyou:

nachte likes this.