Question Why the overblown stats in Chinese novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Defiring, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a pretty a recurring theme in Chinese novels.

MC levels up, becomes powerful enough to fly at 20 billion miles an hour.
    Or he can resist a hit of 50 million degrees. But the antagonist can resist 60 millions degrees, oh no.

I get that big numbers look cooler, but surely authors should know that we can't picture that kind of speed or heat, right?
    Wouldn't saying something like 1000 or 2000 degrees be enough? At least anyone can picture that, it's around the temperature to melt steel, they can imagine it.
    And 600mph, for example, would work better too. It's around the speed of a plane, which we can imagine.
    The MC would seem weaker, but if every character is balanced like him, it won't make a difference, and at least we'll have an idea of what's going on.

I feel like this is sacrificing the immersion to boost the impressiveness of the situation, to make everything look bigger. But then again, every other chapter is here to make things look bigger, so why kill the immersion for it?

2. Shaiyamine

Shaiyamine Reader of Novels, Slave to the Screen

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably going for MC is so strong to the point we cant comprehend? :blobsweat_2:

3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    So they can have trillions of word count and keep you reading for chaos cycles.

To be honest it's not that unrealistic, look at all the bits we use now compared to decades ago. We're nearing petabytes?

4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, What's the top speed of superman or the flash?

5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    so that they can write the number 100.000.000.000 and have typed 12 character for nothing and gain money with usless stats.....

6. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is for VS threads that are popular here and there...

AMissingLinguist and Defiring like this.
  7. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's mostly for the wow factor but another issue is that with such long novels you have to make the character keep getting stronger right? And if the gap between each realm is as huge as "the difference between sky and earth" as they like to say, then the power inflation becomes ridiculous after a while. If they start off breaking rocks, then iron, then steel, then admantium, from there? Just keep getting bigger until they break mountains, continents, planets, stars, and then galaxies.

How the world even manages to exist when there are such destructive forces just casually walking around is a mystery.

8. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    For the sake of bitch slaps and punch to the face regardless of gender~ :aww:

9. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, they're ridiculous, but nothing in the billions.
    When flash goes past Mach 3, he goes through time, so there is basically a limit to how fast he can go, plus that's his only power technically, he can't also revive the dead and turn them into his army.
    As for Superman, well, yeah, that's what I'm talking about, but he exists for the sake of being the most powerful, he has no enemies as powerful as him. There is one superman, not a quadrillion Superman fighting each other.
    Plus he's a very difficult character to write for precisely because of this. Many Superman stories are boring for this exact reason, and that's well known. DC is constantly doing their best to nerf him, add weaknesses to him. It's not a trope you want to push yourself into.
    Everyone prefers Batman anyway.

10. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but only to end up offering a worse reading experience because of it. It's a rookie mistake but it's ridiculously wide-spread.

11. Syahmuda

Syahmuda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kek. I laughed so hard. This is how i felt when reading Emperor Domination. And one of the reason i put it on hold. Invisible Dragon is better, at least i can picture the scene.
    Imagine an enemies tossing a planet like a marble to mc. Mc will tossing a sun and the enemies still survive lol . And slaughtering a trillion armies in instant.

12. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you need to watch deathbattles. the flash and superman can move many times the speed of light. mach 3 is nothing for the flash anymore

13. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this actually bothers me too. Theoretically worlds like these are impossible to exist unless the universe or at least that galaxy was made by magic or something

14. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they don't want a character that strong. They want a character that can shatter planets and such. Basically gods fighting out in the universe. The reader not being able to directly comprehend the numbers is less important than the sense of gods fighting.
    There's magic in most of them. They get stronger by comprehending the magical laws of the universe.

15. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, stangely, despite the huge numbers, invisible dragon is still the best. It's all about the craft, you know.

16. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's alright as long as the world stays coherent with itself. Just that humongous numbers are useless. It's like trying to read your score on Giga wing.
    But maybe it really is for VS threads.

17. Ataraxic_L1FE

Ataraxic_L1FE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You haven't seen the Marvel or DC multiverse's power scaling. I doubt even end game CN MCs can compare to some of them... Like, holy shit.

18. Ataraxic_L1FE

Ataraxic_L1FE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't argue with that. Invisible dragon are 100000000time grater then normal.

19. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it is bothering me personally. Like, going at those speeds or having those temperatures, stuff should break into molecular dust or disintegrate. I think it is for dramatic effects and I try to just brush past it, but it is still bothering me.

kyoshijiro likes this.
  20. Defiring

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, I don't really like comic books really, especially the ones that go overboard. When you go overboard, you either do a bad but coherent story or an okay and incoherent story. Like when batman got the throne of knowledge and asked the stupidest question of them all and then just forgot about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.