LCD Worlds’ Apocalypse Online

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Aug 26, 2019.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, looks like he didn't need to tell her about her father. I wonder if she'll seek asylum from the Confederacy.

“No county may enact or enforce a law that will deprive any citizen of their rights" Which rights? All rights? If so, then basically no laws can exist as they all constrain someone's rights in some way.

I wonder how the Senate will react to this. I expect not well, especially the Nine.

Westeller likes this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suspect one of two reactions are coming: them realizing they have bigger problems as the situation continues to rapidly deteriorate even further, or them digging in their heels and trying to kill him again — or even acting against the impartial goddess, realizing they’re losing control over her.

jacobpaige and Viola like this.
  3. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not true, because the concept of "rights" doesn't exist outside of the law. The law is what defines the rights the confines of those rights of a citizen of a country, so that part is basically saying "you can't strip the citizens of their rights as stated in the law".

But i do understand the possible confusion, i'll change it to Constitutional rights

4. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    It is definitely going to be the 2nd or some variation of the 2nd.
    It took them 5 years last time to give the rights to the public... a full 4 years into the invasion... that doesn't happen unless you massively care about keeping power in your own hands no matter the detriment to the common man.
    They will either immediately try to act against Gu Qing Shan through Impartial Goddess, still not believing that she doesn't listen to them anymore and fail spectacularly, or just immediately send more assassins after him... or more likely this time any asset they have direct control over that they feel is strong enough to kill him because with their lack of information on the cause of IG's change they will assume if he dies everything returns to normal where they have a literal stranglehold upon the nation. They will also likely realize at this time that IG is willing to defend Gu Qing Shan against self serving politicians. but that's just a guess.

I doubt them acting against IG... at least this soon. It'd take them awhile to give up trying to get their control back imo.

Westeller likes this.
  5. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I considered this interpretation, but using it, the law is basically meaningless drivel of no consequence.
    Was there a constitution? I thought there were just IG's core directives? If so, then yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

6. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, it took them 5 years to permanently OUTLAW the right, not give it to the citizens. They were self-serving bastards all the way until the very end.

7. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like they were more accepting than I expected. ... And I do kind of agree with the idea that if you suddenly pass out powerful advanced weaponry to basically everyone, you're going to have problems enforcing the law later. In this case that's more clouded by their self-interest and tyranny than anything else, of course, but it would be a problem for a more legitimate government, too.

Anyway, Impartial Goddess just demonstrated some extreme tracking and spying abilities. She knew everything that had happened in that room - which means she knew about the Empire's situation. She was able to track Anna fleeing to Fuxi. She knew precisely when Hill and his subordinates entered the country. ... Like wdf? She's clearly on top of things, but not actively reporting this information or seeming to do anything about it. Unless she's reporting it to someone else. ... I mean, damn, the fact that the Empire has basically been silently seized by the church seems significant. Like she should be doing something with that information.

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    C125: Why are they so concerned about people using the mechs to overthrow the government? IG can remote control absolutely all of the Confederacy's mechs. The citizenry can't use them to revolt unless IG lets them, and if IG is against them, then it doesn't matter if the citizens are armed or not.

Also, the president has already won, why would he burn bridges by rubbing it in everyone's faces?

Is piling all their victims into corpse mountains also a compulsion of this disease?

C126: “Sir Hill, there’s a small village ahead, would you like us to prepare your materials for you?” Hill is on a mission. Why would he waste time to go out of his way to kill unrelated people, especially when he kills so slowly?
    Yeah, I'm not very impressed with IG's competence. She's way too passive. I expect its a result of the Nine working hard to make her as passive as possible so that she'll stay out of their business. Either that, or the author just really doesn't understand what he's written her as being capable of.

Westeller likes this.
  9. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Same reason he'd slaughter his own servants at the slightest provocation, or sit there daydreaming about torturing the person he's supposed to be bringing back safely. That is, he's just nuts. Completely unhinged. ... Unreliable as a subordinate, but powerful enough to keep him around, I guess?

10. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they aren't afraid of the people overthrowing the government, but more like fear for their own safety. There are gun laws in America to protect everyone and that hasn't exactly been effective at protecting individual people. IG can remotely control all the Mechs, yes, but she might not be able to stop a suicidal citizen from crashing his own Mech into an aristocrat that he thinks wronged him. She might be able to, but we don't know that, and clearly the people in the novel doesn't either.

And then, there's a mentality of popping a bad egg before it could hatch. The aristocrats want a society that remains unchanged and is under their rule, they have been stated many times to be afraid of change, and allowing something like this is a very huge change. The less methods they make available for citizens to even THINK about rising against them, the safer they'll be. It's a shared mentality between tyrants.

Same reason why Yoshikage Kira insists that he likes to live a quiet life, then goes around murdering girls for their hands. He's a psychopath that happens to have a lot of power to do what he wants.

but do what exactly? everything important so far that IG has been able to do needs authorization from at least 2 people. The only thing she did on her own accord was releasing the Mechs, and that's a result of MC very carefully guiding her decision towards that direction.

I think the way she's been handled has been consistent, if nothing else. She has shown to be terrible at direct decision making, but excellent at analyzing and collecting data. And since she's only omniscient within the confine of the Confederate, expecting her to make decisions regarding any other country is asking for too much.

11. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    She's supposed to be an unspeakably, irreproducibly advanced AI that specializes in war and governance, and she does nothing with the information that a neighboring power has undergone a silent revolution, even to the extent of not perceivably reporting that information. That neighboring power sends what she classifies as an enemy to all humanity to her own country, and she mentions it in passing because she thinks he might be interested. ??? Which part of ANY OF THAT makes sense?

As far as I can tell she does literally nothing unless explicitly asked to perform some task. She has absolutely zero agency and seems to be practically nonexistent when it comes to anything even remotely important -- with a few exceptions after the life algorithm. That is decidedly not how she or her role has been described.

I mean, it's fine. Ultimately that's just, y'know, the kind of novel this is. I'm just reacting to the chapter. :blobpopcorn_two:

12. shinikage

shinikage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I.G. direct priorities are putting down the fires inside her house A.K.A. stopping the sea monster from reach the land while protecting the civilians from victims of the man eater and the man killer virus, if she also further divides the country resources to watch out for a country that while being silently taken over by a coup and has yet to show any type of hostile action other than sending a group that could easily claim was sent to rescue their princess or as help against the infected would be illogical, unless the MC reveals what he knows and manages to convince not only I.G. but everyone required to give authorization to deploy troops into a foreign country. After all I.G. can only act on her own accord due to the emergency happening and ONLY inside the federation territory

13. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not exactly hard to pay more attention to any mech that gets close to a noble. If she can't even multitask to that extent then she's not nearly as advanced as she's been made out to be.

Westeller and Viola like this.
  14. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah but which noble? the one that's at the head of a huge family or the 23rd cousin of the 2nd daughter of a minor noble? she's expected to be able to multitask to an extent, but monitoring every mech in the country simultaneously while also looking out for the nobles is not only asking for too much protection, it's also wasting valuable national resources. Your high-end gaming PC might be able to handle opening 128 tabs of google chrome at once, but you're not going to do that, because you might want to use that RAM for something else.

The fact of the matter is, the country has an entire hidden underground world despite having the advanced AI that is IG to monitor anything and everything in the country. She's been shown to be capable of going everywhere, but she doesn't unless it specifically draws her attention. Being capable of something doesn't mean she's capable of keeping it up for 24/7

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Its a system that's supposed to monitor the entire country and (to a lesser extent) all other countries. I sincerely doubt it's not already tracking the locations of every single noble. Honestly, if you think about how many particles a PS4 has to track in a game with lots of explosions, you'll realize just how easy it is for something that makes a PS4 look like a low quality, stone age abacus to track a few people that are literally wearing tracking devices (Holo-brains).

The reason (I assume) she doesn't stop most crime is that its primarily enacted by nobles (directly or indirectly), whose interests she's mandated to stay out of. Add on to that whatever directives she's been given to further that ideal of her staying out of noble's business, and the amount of crime is unsurprising. However, allowing citizens to use the mechs to attack the nobles would be a violation of her core directives, provided those nobles were of the Nine. For the others, its child's play for them to enact a law telling her to track the mechs that come close to them and prevent them from bringing harm to nobles, regardless of the pilot's instructions. It would probably pass the Senate unanimously in less than 2 minutes, with most of that being due to mandatory bureaucratic nonsense.

Also, its worth remembering that mechs have already been stated to have protocols in place to prevent them from harming citizens, and while I'm sure nobles have authorization to override these protocols, commoners wouldn't. As such, as long as these protocols are updated to prevent citizens from attacking nobles even as a means of self-defense, it wouldn't be difficult at all for the mechs to self-regulate. They'd just need to be able to identify nobles, which could easily be done by connecting with IG, the target's holo-brain, or its own, internal database.

Viola and Westeller like this.
  16. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    C127: "we were just about to experiment to make sure that they still work on people” lol. Important research being conducted right here ;)

Why would killing the president have an effect on IG? As far as I can tell, he has less control over her than the Nine do.

That aside, I wonder how they'd react if they actually succeeded and found out that there's already a second president just waiting to take office. Also curious if IG will do anything to stop the assassination.

C128: That seems like a really bad time and place to be spacing out...

I wonder why he's not helping to kill the zombies. Is he just trying to conserve his energy for the boss? If so, he really should take the time to learn a few low cost AoEs. It's not like any of these zombies would take much damage to kill. Heck, even just a low level killing formation would probably be more than enough.

17. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    my guess is that they want to put someone on their side up on that seat as replacement for passing out bills that are beneficial for themselves that can indirectly affect IG's decisions

probably cause he doesn't need to? I mean, he's there as a scientist, not a soldier so why bother? He's probably only there himself and not holded up in the bunker because he doesn't want the guys there to complain about having to risk their lives while he sits in a comfortable room. (Not saying that's a good decision though)

18. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I assumed it was either that or orders to IG that need to come from the Highest Leader for some reason. I'm just wondering what they'd need to push through that requires him to be dead first, or what HL could order IG to do that the Nine couldn't. I mean, its not like he had anything to do with IG's recent behavior as far as they know, and there are a lot of methods at their disposal for getting laws passed that are more subtle than a presidential assassination. And their authority over IG is pretty much absolute judging by her core directives (as far as they know).

He's not really a scientist though? I figured he was there in the first place for the SP and to take out the most dangerous threats to mitigate the damage they could do. There's really nothing he can do on the science front. He's never actually studied biology at all.

19. la0o9

la0o9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's very true, but his official stance is still a scientist, everything he's shown IG so far suggests to her that he's a really damn good scientist. He's probably there to gain credibility with IG for whenever he needs to tell her about an upcoming calamity. Afterall, as far as he knows, the first time he tried to suggest something without credibility for it, IG rejected his offer despite it later turning out to be true.

20. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    That would make sense. Still, no reason to turn down free SP, or endanger his helpers' lives by letting them exhaust themselves. Well, unless he really is lacking a low cost AoE anyway.