Question about Electric Shower Heaters

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by SageRozenburg, Sep 14, 2019.

1. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone here know about electric shower heaters? Is there a chance of electrocution?

More details: Anyway im from a third world country so i cant really ask any knowledgeable friends, only the sales people (i dont really trust them, no offense, my mindset is just "if im selling a product, i wont say anything bad about it", no one really buys it if the sales people say anything bad about it, so sorry in advance), here in our country, people just use what we call "tabo", basically, a bucket plus a scooper(AKA :"tabo") EDIT1: about 90% of people use this, recently my brother and I just graduated college and got a job, and we just renovated out family home, new appliances, floor tiles and house extensions. If anyone is wondering how new graduates can afford this, everything here is cheap compared to other countries our combine salaries are 1200 US dollars, to put it to perspective a square meter of land is 9-12 dollars and a family of 3 only cost 200-250 dollars of groceries for 1 month.

EDIT2: saw some videos, but only a brief summary no mention of the technical side of the heater

EDIT3: I saw when they installed this, the insides kinda looks like this .

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  2. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    If properly grounded and equiped with a safety valve, there`s no problem, otherwise google " myth buster flying water heater"

Sabruness likes this.
  3. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    from the manual i got right here, this product doesnt store water inside, it just say if water pass through the heating rod, that is what heats the water, my question if that rod can conduct electricity, i get paranoid everytime i take a shower

4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Properly installed and with all the proper safety features, they're no problem. They're used a fair bit here in Australia and i've never heard of any electrocutions due to them.

In theory, it might be possible but very highly unlikely unless it's borked, installed badly or tinkered with.

5. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    Like i said, if properly grounded there`s no problem.
    UNLESS it`s one of those cheap knockoffss that don`t have a heating element and simply use 2 electrodes to heat the water by passing large amount of current thru it.

Let me google it a bit ...

Edit:

It seems to have a proper heating element, so until the water completely corrodes it in a couple of years there`s not gonna a problem, and if grounded not even then ( it just won`t properly heat anymore )

6. Yamatohime

Yamatohime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is grounded even if rod is fried and charge get into water... It would just shut down. Likely with plug... =)

7. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    properly installed is safer than gas water heater. since even best gas heaters can leak.
    killed my cousin that shit

8. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    The keyword being properly installed .

9. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Its basically a drum heated by a heating element.
    Properly grounded.
    The only chance you get electricuted is if the person installing is some kind of scammer.
    Also those kind of equipment is tested by multitudes of facilities for evry scenario to avoid your paranoia.

10. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    the one were using is the same one as im linking, and we bought it in somewhat a well known nationwide hardware and appliance store, so i doubt theyre selling knockoffs, but i cant say 100% for sure since its thirdworld, you have no idea how much shenanigans our countrymen is doing (like "gifts" to make your papers be processed faster, normally 2 months, but with "gifts", a week)

11. forecast

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have the specs of that water heater? Also check what kind of certificate the water heater has.
    Since I know by default a water heater has an internal safety switch that will turn it off if something is wrong.
    i.e. water too hot, loose wiring, etc.

12. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    POWER RATING - 3.3kW, 230V, 50/60Hz (A/C)

INLET & OUTLET WATER CONNECTION - 15mm (1/2" BSP)

MINIMUM WATER FLOW RATE -3L/Min

RECOMMENDED WATER FLOW RATE - 4-6L/Min

PERMISSIBLE INLET WATER PRESSURE -0.1 – 0.3 MPa

RECOMMENDED INLET WATER PRESSURE - 0.1 MPa

The insides looks like this, video link. it uses a copper

13. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    we also have a breaker outside the shower room, does that count?

14. forecast

Reading List:
    Link
    That too, and from the looks of the water heater you have, it is grounded and since its covered by a copper tank, electricity would conduct to it rather than through the water.
    Electricity follows the path of least resistance so metal heating element >>> copper tank. water does conduct but way less than the copper tank. So from the tank to the grounding wire to the breaker to the ground rather than the water.

If you are still paranoid get an electrician to check it because its better to hear it from a professional rather than anonymous people from the net.:blobspy:
    Like really, please get real help and not through here.

15. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, for the meantime ill do cold showers for now.

16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    uhm, is that a tankless water heater but instead retrofitted for the shower only? Tankless water heaters are something common these days and they are safe. I can't comment on THIS individual products but I'll just say one thing...

Despite common misconception, Water is NOT a conductor of electricity, it is an insulator. The reason you get electrocuted in water is because the moment you dip into water, your salty sweat disperses through the water and creates a trail to you. THAT is what conducts the electricity.

So even if electricity somehow goes through into the water, unless your country has a really salty water, you are unlikely to get shocked.