Discussion Wrong perspective in "I was reincarnated in the world of a game/novel/etc"

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jgfenix, Sep 11, 2019.

1. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always thought that mcs in these novels/mangas have a wrong way of thinking. Instead of thinking "I was reincarnated in the world of ..." I would think "somehow that novel/game I read/played in my last life is the same/similar to this world ".
    While similar the implications are different. In the first case it´s like they think they live in a fictional world and that way of thinking limit themselves.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    mir likes this.
  2. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    That they can adapt to the new world at all is a surprise. I know, I know, everybody would love to have quests and status windows in your day-to-day, but imagine it happening.

It would be a strong shock. The tendency to think "this is a dream/game" would be very strong (denial). I think I would need counseling.

Reak likes this.
  3. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
    That is exactly how they think, and it does limit them but they are so op it doesn't matter. I saw one manga where this issue was addressed but i didn't really like the story

4. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    more like limits the writer, makes sense since they need to make the game and game world have it's continuity before the MC can interact with it or else the writer will have tons of things that don't make sense

5. jgfenix

Reading List:
    Link
    If they have game-like elements like levels and status screens is more natural to think like that but I was thinking more about stories without that like most of the villainess´reincarnation.

mir likes this.
  6. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    *agrees* wont it be like "huh? did i play/read too much that im already dreaming about it?" then u'll feel like ur the mc and do some reckless things until the world makes you realize that you're nit dreaming and ur not an mc too?

also.. connecting this to the original pose, since rational thinking is less probably than thinking it is but a dream, i think "i reincarnated in the world of..." is more likely to be thought of...
    coz "reincarnated into" novel plots has been spreading already and the MCs has probably read a novel with a setting like that once or twice and can easily relate it to what happened to him/her thinking that same thing happened to them too...
    it's also a kinda of thinking that shows [them(mcs) not being able to accept the reality that they are into]?

7. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be scary to the root. Being reincarnated as an adult or simply transported to another world would be hell, everybody has years of experience, and you need not only experience but reeducation.

Rodcorte's approach in Death Mage is at least a little less traumatic: reincarnate as a child, recover your memory when you mature and get used to this new world with magic and so on. A Tutorial of sorts.

mir likes this.
  8. jgfenix

Reading List:
    Link
    Another way to think. If you are reincarnated in another world and you discover that in that world there are fictional novels about Earth, would you think "oh no, in my past life I was a fictional character in a fictional world"?

9. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    tru tru...
    if i was transmigrated or reincarnated into somewhere 'new' (since i just 'woke up' or sth) i would probably scream or run away or hide first before anything, especially when there were other people present, i would totally ran away first, searching for somewhere to hide.
    it was scary, okay...so f*ck OOC, i was / would be frightened.
    also, if you think having a memory of the original body is enough, you are so wrong, unless the original also had the same temperament as you and move like you. having the memory or knowing the future is just a knowledge, not a habit.
    unless it was carved in the original body (like instinct), i know i couldn't dance or fight....yea...my survival point is lower than low tbh...

mir likes this.
  10. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    I would’ve thought I was mental, now I want to see a mentally ill character get transmigrated:hmm:

Return and mir like this.
  11. Lovina

Lovina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is true that this is shocking and isn't easy To handle at the beginnig of the story . This is wrong for me when in chapter 200- 300-400-500 mc is still like : they are character of a book not person this isn't real this is rough for the bond that she have made with the other this is just what i think.

mir likes this.
  12. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd think "Oh my god, all these novels might be real somewhere!" or "What if every reality is another reality's fiction? @__@" or "What if true fiction doesn't actually exist, and authors just write what exists somewhere else?"

Lovina likes this.
  13. jgfenix

Reading List:
    Link
    That happens in DC comics. Before Crisis on Infinite Earths on Earth Prime what happened in the rest of the Multiverse was related as comic books. Now I think it happens the reverse.
    That idea was also explored in other media.

mir likes this.
  14. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    The Chinese sage that dreamed he was a butterfly... or...

Zhuangzi And That Bloody Butterfly

Fulminata likes this.
  15. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    Skeleton knight in another world pretty much sum the case of "what if" MC is still in denial about the world.

16. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a tag "MC is in denial"? For cases where he goes a lot of chapters thinking he is dreaming or inside a game he just needs to find the exit or fulfill some conditions to end.

17. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    same but sadly all of them will go nuts and mess things up to the point of becoming the new villains which may end the story before it picks up not only that if you read or watch sword art online alicezation project where the main villain know the truth about the world and what about doki doki literature club where monika have the creator authority and mess up everything to get what she wants the outside world that's what will happen to our MC who will still be in denial

18. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not really the MC but the antagonist. It's already in the spoiler area so I won't say anything to avoid giving spoilers to anyone reading this thread

19. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm that’s what I want to see though, a train ride waiting to crash. A rabbit hole to explore. Millions of bad choices to choose.

Return likes this.
  20. Return

Return Ṩ͢͢͢aℽonara

Reading List:
    Link
    i doubt an author of webnovels will be able to handle it well as even it it is bad choices it still holds what is the turning point choice ? so sadly i would search for that in real novels with well known authors which will be reading about real people do you know that movie where the main character where in a plane crash when scientists make a research and name it source code the movie name is source code something like that