LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. NewToThis

NewToThis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just retarded!
    Why did he not Soul FUck the other two?
    He knows very well that they belong together and will come for him no matter what.
    Sounds for me just like an excuse for the author to drag the final fight out.

But well, at least one god less and more mana is quite nice too.

Edge_God likes this.
  2. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking about the two members of heinz's party that had nothing to do with his mother's death?

3. Shadowxero

Shadowxero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason is logical by Van's perspective, "They haven't done anything that would warrant the destruction of their souls, and while they have killed some of Vida's races, they [Heinz's party] weren't absolutely in the wrong for killing them with my limited information. I can't save everyone and those people [Vida's races] are responsible for themselves and their actions. If I had met them, they asked for my help, and then Heinz showed up, I would have done everything within my power to help them, but that doesn't mean that I should use that as an excuse to break the souls of those two. If I meet them again at some point in time, I will absolutely kill them, but soul breaking them is too great a punishment for their crimes [from Van's perspective]."
    Van definitely hates them enough to kill them on sight, but soul breaking on mortals requires; A) An action so egregious that Van cannot forgive the individual and B) Representing a threat, or part of a threat, to those that Van cares dearly about(Which, when fulfilled, would be most of the reason one would meet the A requirement, as Van is arguably very progressive and forward thinking even for someone in the 21st century). All of Heinz's party meet requirement B, but those two do not meet requirement A, so unless they were to kill the people of Taloshiem, they would almost never meet the first requirement to have their souls broken.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  4. NewToThis

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I can understand his reasoning, but it´s total bullshit in this case.

They are tight team and went through some shit together. Furthermore they have the same love in Alda and hate against Vida´s Race´s.
    What does he expect them to do after he lets them go?
    They will try to find a way to get back to him.
    It will just endanger his friends, family and Empire.

5. Shadowxero

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but he will kill them if they try. He wants to soul break Heinz and his other two companions because of how they killed his mother; without them having already killed someone he cares about, or remorselessly trying to kill him because Rod asked them to, Van says, "Well, they aren't absolutely unforgivable, so I'll let them live out their next life and hope I never meet this 'them' ever again." Van is not a good person, but if he went around soul breaking everyone who could wrong him left, right, and center, he would become as bad as Gurundis, and arguably worse since Gurundis could only soul break every now and again. Plus, if word got out that there was someone who could destroy souls like Gurundis, the whole world might come down on Van and company. As they are now, there is no guarantee that they would be able to all live if they were to take on both the Amid Empire and the Orbame Kingdom. Van wants humans and Vida's races to live in peace and under an understanding that they are both equal, and Van would not put his friends in harms way unless he was certain that they would be able to take care of the threat themselves, or that he would be able to protect them. Van values the people around him so much more than himself that he would fight a foe his equal or greater solo, even going so far as to quite literally almost die in the first such encounter, just to keep them safe. He would never put them in such a position over someone he didn't think he should soul break just because they are friends with someone who should have their soul broken. It's not that he doesn't want to kill them, it's just that he cannot kill them in the situation that he is in right now, so he will only soul break those who he feels must have their souls broken.

Finally, to Van himself, this logic is something he himself feels he cannot break. It doesn't matter to him if it's more efficient to soul break them all, if he feels that someone doesn't deserve to have their soul broken, then he will never break their soul. Conversely, if someone should have their soul broken in his eyes, he will never be able to forgive them in life or death until he has destroyed their soul.

xshugox likes this.
  6. DragonkingKyo

DragonkingKyo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the "remorselessly trying to kill him because Rod asked them to" isn't really the reason he is breaking their souls it is because just killing them won't stop them as they would just come back.

If not for that he wouldn't break their souls(excluding the ones that have done very horrible crimes and/or effected him)

7. Shadowxero

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what I meant, but I could have worded that better I'm sure. Thank you for clearing that up for those who read that above message and might have misunderstood.:aww::blobReach::blobhighfive: (<-- Those are for your hard work of figuring out what I wanted to say. Cherish them!)

8. NewToThis

Reading List:
    Link
    I don´t get your arguing that breaking those two more Souls would set the empire and kingdom on his ass.
    The Amid is already against him and the Orbaum will react depending what benefits them most.
    It´s not like breaking few souls vs several will make a difference to them.

9. Shadowxero

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe, but to the gods those two souls might be the two that tip the balance and make them say, "We have to tell everyone that he is just as bad as Gurundis," and if they do, and the message gets across, no one will listen to him, no one will side with him, and people he could have saved might instead be killed. Besides, what I want to say is that Van doesn't see them as people who should be destroyed, but as people who should be killed. It's an important distinction to him, and is one of the few things that, in his opinion, keeps him human. The rest of it is more or less how I as a reader used the author's work to say, "These are reasons why he thinks this way." The bold, however is what is important to Van, and is what should be important to us.

DragonkingKyo, xshugox and borzix like this.
  10. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Alda perceives Van as more a threat then the demon king because van, in his eyes, is not an evil person. He’s just someone who goes against everything he believes in, wants, and is very dangerous. People will willingly join Van because he’s not evil. Although, if Van becomes stronger than the demon king, I don’t see how one Bellwood or one Heinz could stop him. It took like seven ultra heroes with several of them having abilities outside of direct battle to take the demon king on.

11. Shadowxero

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but it would be easier for the common people to understand, and for Alda to manipulate their perceptions, if Alda just said, "He's another Gurundis," and it would decrease the chances that he would be listened to by others, making it harder for Van to turn people to his side. Besides, Van would absolutely fight tooth and nail to protect every single person who follows him, using up all of his mana and stamina on them instead of in the final fight, so if someone noticed this and reported back about it, they would have some way of possibly beating him. It would be slim, but a non-zero chance is better than a zero percent chance.

12. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    If Kanako’s pop culture spreads, it’s basically over for Alda. I start dancing to Blackpink after I heard them play on Colbert for the first time. I can’t imagine that power with guider abilities.

13. Shadowxero

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty much normal guider abilities(ie. stat increases, easier to get jobs related to dancing/singing) with an increase in the chance that Van can guide them(meaning no soul guidance until Van guides them). Even still, until there are hundreds to thousands of idols learning what Kanako's doing, which has only just truly begun in the most recent chapters, it'll take a long time before things will be well and truly, "over."
    Don't know too much about pop culture myself, I'm more of a j-rock person myself.

14. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    i know. Only Van can move people to other circles. But kanako would pretty much push everyone to the border of the circles and weaken alda’s Influence. Think of s cult following being told by Alda to hate their goddess Kanako

15. Shadowxero

Reading List:
    Link
    Point taken, it's just that it will take a while for things to get to there; maybe 2-5 years in world(assuming everything goes well the entire time, and even then mostly in Orbame as they are more accepting of Vida's religion there). Once they do though, it will pretty much be checkmate for Alda and co.
    It's still fun to look at things from both sides though.

16. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed.

I think the quality of Van's thinking is under-appreciated. Which makes it ironic how often people in-world call him out for not thinking things through enough (they're effectively saying "how dare you not agree with me!"). It's clear from his thoughts and actions that Van does think things through a lot. That doesn't mean that his conclusions are necessary "nice" but they are well reasoned which is why we rarely see Van being surprised at developments or revelations... while his opponents often are.

Van also doesn't fall into the traps that many do. For example, just because someone disagrees with him or opposes him, he doesn't automatically consider them "evil" or crazy or whatever. You could say that this is Alda's main problem - the problem is not so much that he has extreme views but that he takes extreme actions based upon those views. Van is willing to question his own beliefs and will consider other viewpoints and also accepts that others may disagree with him. He might push/promote his views but he doesn't force them upon others in the normal sense of the phrase.

This is not to say he has no flaws. For example, I think he's a bit too free with his various mind warping skills (in the sense that I get the sense that he under-appreciates how others would see such actions) but at least the people he's used it on could reasonably be said to have deserved it, as far as I remember.

17. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Alda and Rodcorte really shoot themselves in their own feet, don’t they? Alda is wondering why his family that he oppressed and tortured don’t want to help him. Rod is on his own shit

18. Marcwedmaster

Marcwedmaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really do wonder how does the train on thought of Alda goes.... I mean he HAD time to rethink sh*t
    Rod is Rod there is just no cure for stupidity

tirirism likes this.
  19. anteopta

anteopta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    either they deserved it or it helped them accept ther new environment (Frontier Village) or it was only a mild usage to get out of situations.
    i am not sure about the last one, i feel like there was a situation where he used it that way, like convincing a guard to let him through or something like that but i can't remember where.

20. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, nothing is ever gonna change Rod. Alda has a chance at living at the end of this if he surrenders. It’s gonna get to the point where he will either just quit cause he’s at a dead end or die. He can also surrender if the demon king comes back and Van is the only one strong enough to stop him.

tirirism likes this.